Just the Beginning

The Breathing Mirror

    Walking across that stage to receive that paper with her name on it seemed very anticlimactic for Minni. All the other graduates were thrilled but, for some reason it wasn't dramatic enough for her. She figured she'd blame her best friend Sarah for that. She was ready to just get her certificate out of the 300 people so she could spend the night with Sarah. So Minni could just relax.
    The last few months her dad had made her buckle down. She'd had to be at the top of her class, and she's succeed in part by being the 3rd highest out of the graduating class. He was proud, to say the least but Minni was tired.
    "Finally." She smiled, next in line on the stage. It almost gave her goosebumps. She was always thrilled to get on stage, to preform. So, needless to say, this did not thrill her as much. She took the diploma in one hand and looked towards where her dad and Sarah were sitting, giving a smile and a victory sign.
    Afterwords, the three were together, hugging Minni as she showed off her diploma. Minni's dad took the two girls out to eat, then left them to 'hang' as they wanted.
    "I've never seen you dad smile for such a long period." Sarah teased as she drove towards a grocery store to pick up snacks, candy, and energy drinks for their super sleepover night.
    "I know, I'm glad he was though. Ever since the divorce he had very little to make him smile. I mean, he hasn't always been sad, but seeing him smile like that was refreshing!"Minni said thoughtfully as Sarah parked.“You know, I wonder... he makes me work so hard... I wonder if its just his way of coping with things. Like I can do better in all these things because of him. And my mom will never see any of it."
    "Like doing it in spite?" Sarah asked as she linked arms with her friend, walking into the store.

"Yeah! I mean dancing has always been my thing but he just added so much else to my life." Minni pouted.
    "Your too cute for your own good!" Sarah squealed and squeezed her friend.

    "We look like lezbos! Let gooo!" Minni squirmed in her grasp.
    "Kay~. Now let's get candy!" Sarah immediately walked towards her desire, dragging Minni behind her.
    "Not a bunch of sour stuff okay? This is the one time I've gotten to eat sweets in the past six months." Minni requested as the two with linked arms walked down the isles.
    "Of course for baby Minni." Sarah strutted even faster in her heels that made her taller than Minni who was usually the one who had the height between the two.
    "Your heels are ridiculous!" Minni laughed finally feeling that she could relax and be goofy.

    "It's your special day so I had to look ridiculously gorgeous." Sarah said as if it was a well known fact that her beauty was rated on the day.
    "So basically you wore white on the bride's wedding day." Minni smiled at her own comparison.
    "Eh.." Sarah stopped and though for a moment, "Anyway, so I had a question about your mom." She quickly changed the subject.
    "Which I can't answer, I won't know remember?" Minni tried to say lightheartedly.
    “I know I know, I just wanted to know if your dad knew or not if she was still in Korea?" Sarah asked snatching things of the shelves and putting them in the cart.
    "He thinks so for the most part, it took a lot for me to get that out of him." Minni shrugged.
    "An A on a final and an extra ballet practice?" Sarah asked.
    "The usual trade on information." Minni nodded, then her eyes grew huge, "Poop! We have to finish here and get ready at your house remember?"
    "Ah dance off thingy ma-do!" Sarah ran down the isle grabbing whatever then running to the check out.
    Minni smiled as her friend went crazy just to get to her house. The two were going to a dance off between Minni's dance friends in a neighborhood park, it was just a small fun thing where all the creative minds could let loose. Rarely did Minni's dad accept that but he had basically told her if he didn't see her do it, or know, it was fine. So the two were going to glammed up for Minni to really show off tonight and Sarah was going to bring her camera to take shots of all the dancers.
    "Let me, let me." Sarah said as Minni attempted to put on eye makeup, Sarah had just ran from downstairs where she dumped all the items they bought and quickly telling her parents where her and Minni were going at 11pm at night.
    "Are you ever going to let me learn?" Minni laughed as her friend did the color for her eye makeup then began placing jewels.
    "No because once your famous it won't matter anyway." Sarah giggled as she carefully placed each jewel, "Done, go get dressed, carefully!"
    "Kay!" Minni ran off with clothes in hand to the bathroom.
    Sarah changed in her room into a pair of black skinny jeans, and a loose white shirt with writing on it and into another pair of high heels. She decorated her neck with black and white long necklaces and a few rings on her fingers.
    "Ready!" Minni came bouncing out of the bathroom with her bright blue skinny jeans with rips everywhere and a tight highlighter yellow tank under a ripped up larger white long sleeve. She was decorated with all her bracelets that were of an array of colors. Minni also wore a pair of blue fingerless short gloves.
    "You look like a hot mess." Sarah giggled as Minni gave a cute pose.
    "I know let's go!" Minni grabbed Sarah's camera bag that was sitting on the bed and ran downstairs ahead of her.
    "Hey!" Sarah tried to follow her pace but her heels didn't help as much.
    A few minutes later the two walked up to a group of people talking with an energy that radiated feets from them.
    "I'm going to hang back just let them know I'm armed and dangerous." Sarah smiled holding up her camera.
    "Ok!" Minni ran to the group that greeted her loudly.
    "Took ya long enough little grad." One of the younger but taller guys ruffled Minni's hair which was styled to be messy but he was helping more than harming.
    "Tobi just be glad I came, clearly the other girl grads are ditching."She said looking around the group.
    "This is true, so with that let's start." He gave a wide bright white smile and whipped his hair to the side and turned around to finish the light set up and music sound system which included an iPod dock set up to two huge speakers. Thankfully the park was on the outskirts of the neighborhood by houses with no owners in them so they could be pretty loud.
    "By the way my friend has her camera so don't freak." She said as she started to stretch.
    "Sweet." All of them smiled and nodded.
    The music started and Minni's friend Tobi began very cocky but still talented all the same. Him and another guy went at it until the song ended. Minni smiled but was starting to be impatient. The next song that came on was Pitbull ft. Ne-you and Afrojack remix and immediately one of the older girls began but as soon as she ended Minni demanded all attention.
    Her movements first were subtle but then she stared creating this dance from just the feel of free style. She could pop some and bboy but she loved using her curves to be feminine as well. Minni could be very cute as she would walk to her friends and use the song to dance around them.
    Song after song went like this until it was 2am.
    "See ya!" Minni waved her hand furiously as her and Sarah walked backed to Sarah's car to go back to her house.
    "Impressive tonight." Sarah said smugly then broke out into a smile.
    "Thanks." Minni blushed.
    "You have to be on stage one day." Sarah commanded.
    "That'd be nice but you know how hard it is?" Minni bit her lip.
    "Your talent though." Sarah whined.
    "What happens will happen!" Minni nudged her friend.
    Very quickly they were changed and settled back into Sarah room and began talking again.
    "So I was thinking, about your dad and his planning stuff, at least he hasn't planned college for you. Now we can make our own plans!" Sarah danced goofily to the music on her iPod.
    Minni just sat there and watched her friend as she replied, "Very valid point. I'm glad he hasn't."
    "We'll have to figure out something though when were in our right minds, too much excitement right now." Sarah said then nodded as if confirming this to herself.
    Suddenly a song came on in the two girls native tounge.
    "Are you actually learning Korean?" Minni asked her friend shocked.
    "Yes and no, my parents said listen to some Korean at least once a day, but they never said what type of Korean listening it had to be." She smiled as if she had created a brilliant plan.
    "Tell me about this Korean music!" Minni giggled, "Pop right?"
    "Yah." Sarah smiled as she pulled her laptop to her lap where they both could watch.

                            ~~~~~~
    The two were finding Korean band after band that they liked. Between the sugar and overly cute boy singers, the two were on a fangirl type high. Minni had decided she need to dance to every song, be it by copying the Korean idols talented choreography or creating her own.
    "Unnie~, another song!" Minni whined, jumping around the room.
    "Unnie?" Sarah giggled as she continued to look through video after video.
    "Remember it means big sister. And I'm your donsaeng! But its not the same the males." Minni explained, diving into a Korean 101 with her best friend. But something slowed down her excited lesson. The look of her friends face going into utter shock."We would call an older guy Oppa... and a younger dong... Gwenchana Sarah?"
    "If gwenchana means what the hell, yes." Her eyes connected with the younger girls. "You have to see this."
    Minni bit her lip tentatively, unsure of what was on the screen. What could make Sarah so shocked was beyond Minni. It made her hesitant to too look at the screen.
    "Why didn't you ever tell me you had a brother?" The older girl said as Minni sat beside her.
    "I.." She looked at the screen and her eyes grew, "Don't?"
    The two began watching the K-pop video intensely. When it finished the two wordlessly looked through Google images, shocked into silence.
    "There's no way.... No way!" Minni finally spoke.
    "You said your Dad never really talks about Korea....So possible." Sarah argued.
    "I mean he doesn't look
just like me." Minni turned around, put her face beside the image on the computer screen they were looking at.
    " Ah, Yes, yes he does." Sarah nodded her head furiously.
    "Dad." Minni gave a frustrated huff, thinking of her father. Resting her head in her hands she  bore a hole in the ceiling with her gaze. "Can you find some information on whether he's older or younger or...well anything else that would help get me an idea of who he is."
    "Sure." Sarah began to search away, clicking and typing with haste. "I really think he's your twin."
    "Of course." Minni gave a small, disbelieving chuckle. All her energy felt drained from her.
    "He is." Sarah said gently trying, to be ease this information onto her distraught friend.
    "What else?" Minni sat up and looked at her.
    "His name is Lee Taemin. He's the 'maknae' or youngest of the K-pop idol group SHINee. Oh! He's also the lead dancer!" Sarah squealed at the last part, excited.
    "That's cool." Minni said halfheartedly.
    "I know this is weird dongsaeng," Sarah sat down beside her and smiled, trying to say the right thing, "But there must be a reason your dad kept this from you. Think about it! Your not an only child!"
    "How can two people who shared a freaking womb not even know each other?" Minni scrunched her nose and closed her eyes like she was thinking very hard.
    "You've must of known him for a bit. There's no way your dad, of all people, would rip you away from your twin and run to the U.S after being born without a reason." Sarah said confidently.
    "True... I need to talk to him in the morning and decide from there." Minni nodded, beginning to think of what she would say to her father.
    "Should you give him a heads up?" Sarah asked.
    "Yeah. Take my picture beside the screen." She said, crawling towards her phone and handing it to her friend.
    "1, 2, 3!" Sarah counted before snapping the picture of Minni biting her lip nervously by the  picture of Minni's handsome twin.
    "Lee Taemin and Lee Minhee; the twins." Minni said as she looked at the laptop.
    "Minhee?" Sarah looked at her, confused.
    "My birth name remember?" Minni gave a small smile.

                        ~~~~~~
    Having sent the picture text and knowing her dad was ready for what was coming in the morning; the two decided to eat more sugar and walk around the neighborhood.
    "So~ What do you think he's like?" Minni giggled.
    "You don't eat  a lot  of sugar during the school year, do you." Sarah laughed as her friend, turning one eighty, begging to  giggle and dance on the side walk. “You're such a lightweight.”
    "No I don't. But you have to make sure I go to meet my dad." Minni said with a serious face and then smiled again.
    "Now you can meet your mom!" Sarah squealed.
    "Yeah. But I'm not thrilled...kind of like I'm not thrilled with my dad." She said with a shrug.
    "What if you have other siblings?" Sarah asked.
    "Yay?" Minni giggled. "I mean whatever happens, happens right?"

    Sarah nodded. The two walked back to Sarah's house to get a few hours of sleep before Minni had to leave in the morning. Minni could barely sleep though. She was so confused and curious. Slowly becoming lost in her thoughts, the girl fell asleep before she knew it. Her phone alarm blared loudly in her ear an hour later.
    "Come back ...and tell me what happened... k?" Sarah flung a sleepy arm, half awake.
    "Will do, get some sleep." Minni smiled at her friend and quickly dressed. She walked to the coffee shop rather than driving. Sarah had offered her car to Minni since Minni's keys were in her locked house, but Minni felt like walking. It gave her a chance to clear her head.
    When Minni reached the shop she was glad it wasn't too busy, so she wouldn't be keeping her dad too long.
    "Hi Minni! Your dads upstairs!" One of the waitress said , running by stealthily with a cup of coffee.
    "Thanks!" She ran up the stairs and found her dad watering plants. "Hey Dad." She said gently, kind of wondering if she should just run back downstairs and leave.
    "Oh, hi Minhee!" Her dad jumped a little, along with Minni's heart at him using her Korean name. "Let's talk." He turned around, his smile dimming slowly. “Wait a moment. One of the girls is bringing tea." Her dad finished watering the plants when one of the waitress set down the old tea set her dad uses rarely.
    "Here," he handed her a cup after pouring the tea, "Now...what would you like to know."
    "Why didn't you tell me?..He's my brother isn't he?" She said in the midst a great sigh.
    "I didn't tell you because of what happened. I didn't believe you'd ever see him... because he lived in Korea." He replied with a sad look.
    "What ...what happened?" Minni fiddled with her thumbs.
    "We, your mother and I, got a divorce. Rather than fighting over kids and money, I took you and some money and left." He said, taking another sip of tea.
    "Do I have any other siblings?" By this point Minni's voice was trembling.
    "….A half-brother named Taesun. Your mothers son before having you twins." He looked like he was thinking deeply.
    "Why can't we talk to them!" Minni stood up and started pacing.
    "She lost all contact with me and.... Taemin still doesn't know." He couldn't look his daughter in the eye.
    "I can't believe this." She ran her fingers through her hair, "I need to go... I  gotta think for a while.” She turned back, staring at her father with a look of innocence and betrayal. “I'm going to stay at Sarah's for a while.."
    "Whatever decision you make, I'll support you.. Just please, find it in you to forgive me." He stood and bowed deeply, 90 degrees, before hugging his daughter briefly.
    "Ok." Was all Minni could say before quickly leaving the house, all to eager to get back to Sarah's. 

 

~~~~~~~

Sorry that took so long! Hope you all like it! :D