Spring Memories

Spring Memories

She tucked a few wiry strands behind her ear, confident for the first day at her new teaching position at S.M Academy to go smoothly. The private, prestigious academy had an interesting lot, per se, that needed to be further disciplined and it was just her area of expertise – it was her rightful duty to bring forth the delinquents to adhere to the rules and regulations, or coerce them to get back on track with their education. She had a streak of success since pursuing this career of disciplinary action and she hoped it would continue. Deft fingers tucked in a loose white blouse into the confines of a navy blue skirt. A quick pat on the blonde bun, a light brush on the collar and she felt good to go. She flashed a shaky smile at herself through the mirror. She could do this.


“Oh, so you’re the new one,” the secretary stated, clearly disinterested. “I do wonder how long you will last. Don’t take it to heart if you can’t last more than a week or even a few days.”

Chaerin laughed lightly, reining in her venomous response. “I can only guarantee I will do my best.”

“Isn’t that what they all say? You guys are pretty much all talk, aren’t you?”

Feeling the need to defend her colleagues and herself, she let pride grasp a hold of her and she attempted to correct this snippy secretary. “I’m sorry –.”

“Here’s all the paper work and information you need to know. Should you need any other documents, resources, seek out our advisor Park Bom. She will be able to secure everything you need. Enjoy your visit.”

Chaerin refused to allow the last remark wedge its way into her thoughts. With a tight smile she thanked her and briskly made her way down the hall to the library. She laid out the documents onto the flat surface of the table and scanned through a few.

Assigned Classroom: E – 102

She peered through her predecessor’s scrawled notes for a look into what she was to encounter.

Observation: Rowdy lot, continuous refusal to complete any work or participate in any activity, crude behavior, attitude-filled responses, lack of perfect attendance, rebellious…

And it went on, the perceptions not all that differing. She had handled similar students, thus these boys should pose no problem to successfully carrying out her duty. Nerves got the better of her in moments as she considered why those before her had been unable to placate this trouble-making bunch. Could she accomplish anything if they had failed? “Aish,” She cried as she banged her fist against the table. “I will just have to see it for myself.”

Oh, the words of those who had taken the position prior to herself had not prepared her for what she would come across in room E-102. There were 20 students enrolled in E-102, a few of whom were absent, and they appeared to be far from their delinquent status. Sure a few boys had a roughly made tie, a couple shirts wrinkled, perhaps a jacket was stained, or collars were loose and undone, but they seemed the normal adolescent male. They were, however, silent, their eyes scrutinizing her form, her every action, no matter how slight. She expected shouting, swearing, moronic comments, and outright defiance instead of the cold eyes monitoring her. It was just so odd. Chaerin managed to introduce herself smoothly, her words flowing out in a stable manner. The tension in the room induced a tremble in her hands, therefore her name on the board emerged a tad messy and it prompted an individual to speak.

“Such messy handwriting. Do you expect us to decipher that?”

She snapped her head towards the students, scoping out the brave soul to criticize her characters. He did not surface, and feeling a bit foolish, she turned back to the board, the chalk tightly gripped in her hand. Deciding they could live with her skewed name for less than an hour she confronted them once more.

“I am Lee Chaerin and I will be your teacher for the next month. It is a pleasure to meet you.”


“Minji, it was awful. I have never encountered such a lot.” Chaerin wailed, drowning her worries away with a glass of liquor.

“Was it that bad? I mean, there’s no way they’re not like others you have taken head on.” Her friend retorted.

Chaerin scoffed as she remembered she had previously thought the same. “They were supposed to be similar to the other cases I have worked on, but they weren’t. These boys were silent. I only managed to croak out my name and my occupation and that alone didn’t provoke a response.”

Minji hummed, pondering the situation in her mind. “And you say the other teachers got a lively reaction from working with these boys? I don’t know. You sure you had the right class?”

“Minji, just buy me another drink.”


Chaerin sighed, almost dreading having to once more set foot into her classroom. Here she was, a twenty-three year old female unable to coax a response from teenage boys. She stumbled as she made her way into her class that vibrated with life, roared with noise and shenanigans. Stunned, she headed to her desk, all-the-while observing her previously dormant boys act like animals in her class. Incapable of making any sense of it she settled for checking attendance (she silently hoped the boys remained in their assigned seats). Two were absent today, she glanced down at her chart – Kevin and Suho.

Kevin attended the class the first week school began and ditched the following days. Suho appeared to have signed out for personal matters.

She called to them, “Alright, class-.”

They drowned her voice out, focused on their own agenda.

“Class-.”

Laughter filled her room further infuriating her already ignored presence.

“Boys, listen. How else will you pass if you fail to listen?” She mentioned sternly. 

One of the boys caught her words and craned his neck to meet her, a glimmer in his eyes. “Are you still talking?”

For once in her life she stuttered, “Excuse me-?”

“You are certainly excused.” He huffed and deeming her unworthy of any more of his attention returned to his friends.

Bewildered, Chaerin could only sit down and ponder why she felt so feeble, so helpless, and so weak when she knew she could take these cheeky bastards on. It felt as if the tables had her in record time.

They left her class without so much as glance back at her.

She was not going to continue her streak of success it seemed.

The next few days were agonizing with very minimal progress, the boys curt and concise, sure to silence her. Chaerin remained determined although they drained her of strength and confidence, her faith beginning to falter. She did learn all of their names, the only source of pride she had so far. Her class seemed to divide into two distinct groups, roughly broken into five students on either side – the remaining boys split amongst them. One group consisted of Kai, Sehun, Kyungsoo, Baekhyun, and Chanyeol, whilst the other group included Chen, Lay, Tao, Xiumin, and Luhan.

Baekhyun and Chen had the sass oozing from their pores, both of whom had called her out in her first few days on the job, something she would be sure to remember. Chanyeol was a quirky fellow, his face twisted into the most peculiar expressions. Sehun was a brooding mess, Xiumin leaned back against the wall, his time spent in class dozing off. Luhan had a knack for flinging objects, spitballs, Lay cracked jokes, puns, and Kai could not seem to comprehend he was in an educational facility, not a club where he could unveil his skills. Kyungsoo was nothing short of a cheeky bastard himself, singing along and admiring his friend perform. She wouldn’t have minded Tao much if he had not insisted on unleashing his martial arts in the tiny room meant for academic instruction. These particular boys ruled her classroom and they knew it.


Her wavering spirit had not gone unnoticed. A beautiful woman sat down beside Chaerin, her large eyes crinkled as she flashed a wide smile. “Hey, you have only gotten through the first week. The second week might bring forth some results. Although, they might be slight.”

Chaerin’s sour mood failed to brighten considerably. “I am normally not pessimistic, but it seems-.”

“Nonsense! And, you come find me if you need any other information from past disciplinary faculty members.”

“Park Bom?”

“The one and only at your service.”

“Oh, gosh. I’m sorry. I have just been absolutely frustrated with the slow progress.” Chaerin found herself rambling, the words stubbornly tumbling out.

Bom gently laughed, waved her arms, “It’s alright. You’re not the first. Did you need anything as of now?”

“Were they always brats?”

“I wouldn’t doubt it. I think I can scrounge around for more information on their personalities if you’d like.”

“That would be great! Thank you so much. This might cure the onslaught of headaches. Also, does Kevin ever show up?”

“He comes and goes.”

“I see.”


She tried weaving her way throughout the school taking a few short cuts she heard of and instantly regretted her decision. It wasn’t as if she was able to travel properly with directions anyhow. Somehow she ended up in the school’s gym, vacant, filled with eerie silence. Muttering fiercely to herself, she paced around until she heard a faint sound of - snoring? Her feet carried her to the ascending stair case and next thing she knew she was peering down at a body snoring peacefully away. He had a few pillows stuffed around his figure, his head hidden by his long arms, adorned in casual attire. Cautiously, she nudged him and softly hastened him to wake.

An arm shot out and grasped her wrist, his attention fully directed to the female. She gasped, “I’m terribly sorry. I just- Should you be sleeping here?”

A groan slipped passed his lips, his body reluctantly heaving itself forward, startling the young woman. “I will sleep where I please.”

“Ah, yes, forgive me, sir.”

Still sluggish, he stretched, his long appendages momentarily awing her. He rubbed his eyes and inquired, “Who are you? I haven’t seen you around here before.”

“Oh, I am the new disciplinary teacher for E-102, Lee Chaerin.”

He paused, flickered his gaze towards her. “Is that right?” He mumbled. “How are things running along?”

Her spirit deflated. “Well, I haven’t repaired the damage, but I do hope to improve the status during the second week.”

He required details from the first encounter, and he listened in earnest, nodding his head along. When she finished he fell quiet, rummaging around in his mind for the pieces to arrange themselves.

“You failed the moment you allowed yourself to be surprised by the boys’ unwavering silence.”

“I failed? What do you mean-?” Chaerin cast aside manners, her feathers ruffled thoroughly.

“You entered a state of confusion, uncertainty and you let your guard down as a result. They sapped your confidence,  and your strength by mere refusal to acknowledge you. You have always been granted recognition, have you not?”

She found she could not relay a proper answer in her stupefied state. 

“You were already eaten alive. Can you honestly do any better for the next week?”

“I will not leave unless I accomplish something. I will work my off if need be.”

“For your own selfish interest, or for the best interest of the boys’?”

“What-?”

“Do us a favor and pack your bags. You won’t succeed with this bunch and you will take a blow to that winning streak of yours. Also, refrain from disturbing my naps.”


“The nerve of that guy!” Chaerin grumbled, popping a piece of sweet bread into . “What gives him the right to act all high and mighty!?”

Minji noted positively, “He seemed to spark your determination anew, Chae. He’s either a genius who knows what buttons to push, or you just got lucky.”

Chaerin grunted, “Lucky. Yeah, I will be lucky when I kick those boys into gear.”

“Was he cute?”

“Yah! I am crumbling under stress and you want to know if he was cute?”

“So he was!”

Minji laughed until she was delivered a blow to the shoulder. “Sheesh, he must have been gorgeous.”

Minji.”


Chaerin chose not to admit to her best friend that the stranger had given her a new blaze of power and strength, enabling her to capture her students’ attention, mouths halting in mid-sentence. She would have puffed out her chest in pride had she been able to keep the situation under her control. They were quick to listen, and just as quick to ignore her presence altogether. The amount of pencils she fractured in her grip was astonishing.

However, the third day of the second week she imposed some psychological tactics on the average boys and met with zero results. Physical stratagems could not be whipped out just yet, or so she figured. Among her days as a disciplinary teacher, she had never found the need to utilize actual force on her students to have them adhere to her rules.

On her desk Park Bom had laid out a few documents on the boys’ personalities, and rendered them useless. There wasn’t enough information for Chaerin to go off of yet, but she did happen to land her gaze on their current courses and grades. While it wasn’t meant for her eyes she couldn’t pull her focus away, their failing grades like a beacon in darkness. Her face contorted into a frown. These kids were not going to get anywhere in life without some knowledge. It was her responsibility to get them back on track and she was failing them. Perhaps, her wise old man had some truth to his statement.


Tinted with shame, she wound her way back to the gym, her eyes seeking the sleeping form of a most wise man. Her lips pursed when she saw he was not there, as if she didn’t feel ridiculous for showing up. Brown irises noticed the sign directing to the roof, prohibited to students of course, and her legs led her forward. Chaerin flinched away from the bright sun rays, her arm instantly hovered over her face to shield her.

She admired the view the roof over-looked, the city life not too far off on one side. Buildings glinted in the sun, throngs of people flocked the streets - it was a nice view. Prepared to turn back and head off to her room, she abruptly stopped in her steps as her ears picked up on the sound of a soft rumbling of snoring. She discovered her wise old man asleep on his side, his body curled under a parasol. Still stung from his previous parting sentiment, she kicked his leg, gently of course.

He shot forward, eyes wide, panicked, his words slurred. “What-!?” The male startled by the young woman before him cried out, his body shoved back onto the cement.

Chaerin waved his nonsense away. “No time for that. I need your help.”

He stopped his senseless groaning, his focus on her form settled before him, her hands tightly clasping the folds of her skirt. Certain he would allow her to continue, she further explained.

“Listen, I have done a lot of thinking, and, well, you were right. As much as it kills me to admit, they had me the moment I walked in. I can’t seem to work with them. They are different. And it was in my self-indulgent and greedy interest to tame the boys. I am fully aware of the academy’s fame – it would have catapulted me to a higher status. I have worked, er, I have been in the same environment as these boys for a little over a week and I have concluded that I wish to help them.” She made sure to omit the fact that she had seen their grade-reports. “I have failed, though I do wish to help them. I am running out of time to make a dent in their lives. Will you please help me?” She bowed forward, her hands pressed against cement. “Please.”

Slender fingers ran through his dark locks, scratching the head along the way. “Hmm, I suppose I can assist you, just this once. Should they act up once you complete your assignment you are on your own.”


Fight fire with fire.

She stood before her chaotic class, the noise level beyond deafening, no one would be able to hear her with this volume. Raising her voice would also be pointless. So, she whipped out a mega-phone and instructed her students to cease their pointless behavior and settle back into their chairs and they had till the count of three to do so. Chen was the first to glance back and mock her attempt to bring order. Kai and Sehun threw their arms around each-other and laughed derisively upon the teacher’s actions.

Don’t let them hold the reigns.

Consequences were to be enforced before brute measures could ensue. Calmly, she informed them that their failure to cooperate would impact their grade – thus, an ‘F’ for the day was suitable. There would be no extra-credit and it was up to manage their grades. She had for the duration she would be present control over their grades for this period, so yes, they would be graded and whatever they received by the end of her term would be imprinted on their transcripts. Baekhyun protested, and others followed suit.

Her retort was final, leaving no room for argument. “You could always stay for detention voluntarily and possibly persuade me to throw in extra-credit points to help your falling grades.”

Sehun glowered, while his friend Kai rose from his chair, shaking his head in disgust. He swore, which made her heart swell – a bit of normalcy, finally! She asked that he sit down in his seat or he would have to reap what he sow.

You must secure control before you can get them to prioritize.”

He made to leave and that was when she flung her white chalk towards him, his head twisting back as it smacked his face.

“You will sit down and you will stay for detention.”

His surrounding friends stared on in disbelief, in a mixture of horror and awe.

“Not only am I permitted to control your grade for this period, the time spent in this class shall follow my rules. You would do well to listen.”


“You should have seen their faces! I could swear Luhan was about to collapse. Oh, it felt amazing. I felt like a teacher again.”

Her friend tapped her finger nail against the table. “So, he helped you, huh? Does he receive a reward by any chance?”

Chaerin choked on her water. “Minji! Is that all you worry about? And, I will compensate him. I just don’t know with what. My priority is to straighten these boys out first and foremost.”

Minji unleashed a groan, “You will never get another boyfriend like this. Wait and see, you will become an old maid.”

Before she flicked her friend’s forehead, she stuffed a fruit into . “I don’t need a man in my life as of now. Stop trying to coerce me into snagging one. I will when I am ready.”

Minji thought better of commenting once again, lest she find herself unconscious, and settled for munching on her snack.


“You’re practically glowing.”

“Oh, it’s you!” Chaerin gasped, clutching her heart. “Don’t do that. And how could I not? Everything has been going smoothly. The boys are progressing and there seems to be hope for their futures after all.”

He nodded his head satisfied.

“It’s all thanks to you, though. Thank you-?” She gesticulated towards him, hoping to put a name to her wise old man.

“Kris, just kris.”

She smiled warmly at him. “Thank you, Kris. For everything. I will work harder than before, your advice won’t go unheeded.”

“My job is done then. I wish you well.” He rolled over, prepared to drift asleep.

Chaerin stood by and faintly voiced her thoughts, “Kris, my work isn’t done yet. I have requested another month. Even if I no longer need to seek you out for advice, can I still come around?”

“I am never going to lose you, am I?” He muttered closing his eyes shut. “Come as you please. I will be here.”

She laughed.


Her second month at S.M Academy proved to be an easier process than the first. Attendance rates shot up, boys appeared to pay attention, and the attitude was reined in. They were quite aware of who was in charge now. Some goofballs even stayed after class to clean the room and acquire some extra points to be put towards their grades. If she needed some words of wisdom, she approached Kris, who seemed to never move from his spot on the roof. She didn’t just use him, she also hung out with him during lunch on a regular basis. She wasn’t sure how he did it, but he got her to prepare him lunches after he stole a bite from her plate on one occasion. Things were going smoothly, it was almost perfect.

You know, until she found her students beating up each-other. Tao held Kyungsoo by the collar, blood dripping from the baby-faced boy, his face twisted in fury. She noticed whilst Tao did not have blood on his face, his arms were scratched, torn, dribbles of blood flowing from them. Kai was restrained by Sehun, a purple bruise forming on his cheek; she followed his gaze and found that it settled on Lay, whom breathed heavily, his face marked with a thin red line. Chen straddled Baekhyun, his arms around his throat. Xiumin desperately tried to pull Chen away, Chanyeol latched onto him. The rest of her class wrestled, flinging objects upon opponents.

Chaerin dropped her black battered bag, stunned, and befuddled. Figuring her words would be useless in this predicament she launched herself into the tangle of boys. She got two neutral party members to pull Chanyeol away, and she helped Xiumin to rip Chen away from strangling Baekhyun. Her fingers gripped Chen’s shoulder, the two heaved, and he sprawled on his back. Baekhyun charged forward with all his might, thirsting for blood, his eyes crazed, and he propelled his fist in the direction Chen fell only to have Chaerin intercept and catch it straight to the head. Her boys hushed, faced her in alarm as she slumped to the ground. Darkness slipped in and obscured their frightened faces.


A groan escaped her pale lips as she clutched her aching head.

“How are you feeling, teach?”

She faced her wise old man. “I feel great actually. Thanks for asking.” She drawled. “Where am I?”

“We are in the academy’s infirmary and according to the Doctor you should be fine after some rest. So, go home. Your job is done for today.”

“What about my kids? Are they okay? Did anyone find out why they started a rumble in my classroom?”

Kris grabbed his bag and confronted her. “Are you going to press any charges?”

Chaerin gaped. “Why on earth would I do that? I purposefully intervened aware of the consequences. I wouldn’t do that to any of them.”

He sighed, shuffled his way towards the door. “They are a bit shaken up, especially Baekhyun. He’s wrecked with a guilty conscience, regardless if his punch was intentional or not. They have sworn not to allow another fight to occur on the premises. It might have been just your classroom they promised not to initiate a fight in, though. I forget.”

She frowned, upset with the turn of events. “I see.”

“Also,” he added, as if it were an afterthought. “Your contact responded and mentioned she would be here to check on you in a bit.”

Minji, she mused happily. “Ah, that’s great. Thanks, Kris. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

During her wait she changed her clothing, sick of remaining in her uniform. The door swung open and she called to Minji in relief. “You would not believe the day I have had-.” She paused; Minji had not been the one to arrive.

“Jiyong.”

And then her noggin reminded her that she had not changed her emergency contact information, essentially leaving down her former boyfriend’s number. She muttered angrily to herself for forgetting to process the proper paperwork and save her another head-ache.

“Are you okay, Chae?” His tone was sweet, and worried – it repulsed her. Next thing she knew he was invading her personal boundaries, reaching out to touch her swollen head. Her hand whipped out and slapped him away.

“Do not touch me. I am perfectly fine. I didn’t sustain a concussion.” He grimaced at her unflinching tone.

“Chae, I came all the way here because I care about. You had me worried. What kind of reaction am I supposed to have after hearing you were beat?” His voice rose and trembled in frustration. “Can you honestly blame me for my actions? Jesus Christ, Chaerin.”

“Thank you for your concern, but I am stable, physically, mentally, you name it. Can you please just leave?”

He became exasperated, “Chae-.”

“She said she was fine. I am sure you know what that entails.”

Chaerin jumped upon hearing Kris’s voice enter in their fruitless argument. He prodded her back and slipped his large hand into hers. Unsure of how to respond, Jiyong glared at the intruder, his curiousity whet.

Kris pulled her towards him with the intent to flee, his eyes never leaving Jiyong.

Jiyong smiled. “Do you still use that scrunchy, Chae? It’s so heart-warming.”

She shuddered and hastily went passed Kris until he decided to wrap her in close, her face pressed against his chest. The young blonde woman pondered why she had never realized just how large Kris was, his hand practically engulfed hers as well.

Calloused hands sifted around her hair and tugged at her scrunchy. “You’re right. She looks better without this confounding thing. I should know.” He tore the elastic band off, her locks falling into place around her, eliciting a gasp from her. “I’m sorry. We have wasted enough time here. Thanks anyways for coming down to check on her.”

He pulled her along, leaving behind a speechless Jiyong.


“He’s your ex-boyfriend? Are you sure you guys are done? He seems pretty hung up on you to only be a former beau.” Kris inquired in between bites of his sandwich.

Chaerin grumbled, “Yes, I am certain. I know he doesn’t seem to be very much except an arrogant hot-shot, but he was different before. He was sweet, gentle, funny, unafraid to be himself, oh, the list can go on. He wasn’t always such a prick, I can guarantee that.”

“He hoped for a reunion then?” He evaded the question of why they parted.

“I think he did. Not that it would change his ways. I would most certainly be dubbed ‘play thing number three’, what with his infamous record of girls.” She quipped. Kris barked out a laugh, his features twisting into a comical, childish expression.

He stirred his drink, his next question soft enough to be hidden by the swish in the cup, “Do you miss him?”

“I miss his friendship. I miss his support. But I do not miss him.” Chaerin crinkled her nose as she further considered an answer. “If that makes any sense.”

Her companion shook his head, a deep laughter emerging from him - earning a smack of napkins to the face.


Her return to the classroom was unnerving. The boys were frightfully silent, adhering to instructions, lesson plans. She sort of yearned for their shenanigans. One boy in particular was determined to evade her at all costs. He avoided contact, communication, and even perfect opportunities to mock her skills. Chaerin sentenced him to stay after class and hoped an earful would revert him to his former ways.

Baekhyun sat in his desk, didn’t even bother to question her baseless sentencing. She sat beside him, leaned back in her chair, drummed her fingers. “I do not hate you for what happened, I don’t even hold it against you. I threw myself in to receive the punch, I just miscalculated a bit.”

He croaked, “I’m sorry.”

She huffed, allowed him to continue apologizing, and hugged him when tears came to his eyes. Suddenly she ended up as a mother hen doting her baby chick, it was nothing short of peculiar. She was not told of their reason for fighting, so she decided to let it go just this once.


Invigorated anew, her students breathed life into the class making sure to leave it tension free – just what she needed. Throughout the remainder of the week, Baekhyun immersed himself in his work, surfacing as one of her top students, not to mention one of her precious ‘baby chicks’. It worried her that he would not be as dedicated after her shift ended, though.

“Baby chicks? The guy er punches you and he becomes a baby chick? You know, my life wasn’t as strange until you came along.” Kris commented, flipping through the pages of his book.

Chaerin snorted, “I’m just what the doctor ordered then.”

He shoved her away. “Wrong prescription.”

Her laughter filtered through. “Yah! You jerk. You wouldn’t dare return me, would you?” She poked his nose.

A pause met her for a moment. He settled for stretching up to confront her, his lips hovering near her chin. He answered her as genuine as possible. “Of course not.” She tried not to gaze at his soft, small lips.

“Ahh.” He pitched himself forward, landed on her lap.

Chaerin felt the heat rise to her cheeks, but she ruffled his hair as if nothing occurred.

“Chaerin, when’s your last day?”

His soft murmur brought her back to focus. “Oh, um, I have two weeks left. Just around the corner, really.”

He hummed.


“Teach, don’t be so reluctant. You know you want to join in on the fun. We worked very hard for the festival.”

Chaerin vehemently refused to walk out in front of anyone while donning a nurse’s outfit. “Why did it have to be hospital themed?” She muttered thoroughly embarrassed. In fact, she regretted her outburst of participating in the boys’ project – oh, how she had jumped the gun.

Chen threw his hands up in the air quite done with his instantly shy teacher. Baekhyun took over, and encouraged her to abandon the changing room stall. “Are you going to crush us so soon? After you pushed us and said you would join in the event, you have the gall to turn your back on us?” He was incredulous.

Flushed, she stood before them, trying to pull down the skirt; it wasn’t everyday she had a skirt that went above her knees. “Let’s get this over with.”


S.M Academy thrived on school festivals, profiting and benefiting students by allowing them to interact with family and friends from other schools. Each class had a theme to work with and she just so happened to be stuck with a hospital theme. Oh, the woes piled on. She could see why the boys chose such a theme to work with – her class was filled with pretty boys and to have them wear a white coat, to portray a doctor, well, she expected the girls to flock and faint. Her section definitely prospered and she could not help but congratulate her boys. And then she was reminded of her current attire by the leering male population that lined up to pay a pretty penny to have a check-up done. She sighed.

“Next in line please.” She sweetly called out. Her next customer was a young lad, not from her school’s batch, but handsome nonetheless. “Oh, dear. It seems you have a slight fever.” She placed the back of her hand upon his forehead and her recited lines flowed out without much effort on her part this time around. “Here, I have just the thing for y-!” She dropped her line quickly as the boy snatched her wrist. “I’m sorry, kid. We don’t do that here.” Miffed, she wrestled her hand away with very little success. “Let go.”

He was knocked sideways, a bemused Kris over-looking him. “She said let go.” He turned to a gaping Chaerin and pressed a couple of bills into her hands. “Sorry, this portion is closed for today’s festivities.” He sent the crowd a wink as they groaned in unison.

“Kris! Wait! Where are you taking me?!”


“Don’t think this will cause me to forget you pulled me away from my responsibilities.” Chaerin proclaimed before she tore her way into a sugary pastry.

“You’re right. I just need the ice-cream, and cat ears and I should be good to go.” Kris chuckled, consuming his own confectionary sweet. “Besides, did you enjoy the, uh, attention you received?” He winked.

Chaerin kicked his leg instead of granting him a verbal answer. “Thanks again for allowing me to wear your jacket. Those scheming dogs hid my work attire.”

“I don’t even have to wonder why.”

“I don’t need this from you, too!”

“Come,” he stuffed the pastry into . “Let us explore the exhibits.”

He led her around, satisfying her cravings for sweets, buying her a stuffed animal, taking ridiculous pictures at the booth some students managed to provide. He challenged her to a balloon popping contest and admitted his defeat. She had him grinning, he had her laughing. It was a mystery as to when her hand intertwined with his, but she found she didn’t really mind.

“Chocolate or vanilla?”

“Chocolate.”

“Unfortunately, I have a thing for vanilla, but I will make do for now.”

“Huh?”

He presented her with a chocolate ice-cream cone, and she was not one to notice his failure to bring another one. “Where’s yours?”

Dark eyes took on a mischievous glint, his lips on her chocolate ice-cream quicker than she could process. “Kris!”

“Sorry, Chae, I didn’t have that much dough on me.”

She growled at him, refusing to share any more. hovered over the sweet, tentative of indirectly kissing a dear friend.

“I don’t have cooties.”

Chaerin flushed, her ice-cream, and promptly kicked Kris’s shin.


Fingers the desk’s smooth surface, lingering, saddened. It was her last week. She sat down in her student’s chair, faced the teacher’s podium. Her boys had definitely progressed, the jump in their grades reflected that – so she could only hope they would continue to do well in their academic pursuits.

The day dragged on to the point it left her drained, a shame her wise old man was not there to cheer her forlorn self.


She hadn’t seen him the entire week, worry gnawed at her. If she had to say goodbye to anyone he would definitely be the one. Chaerin curled under the parasol, murmured her farewell to the wind. He was without a doubt a special and important person in her life, she hoped he could continue to be so. Tears filled her eyes, her tone cracked, but she unveiled her heart to him in spirit.

Her boys surprised her upon her return to the class, a party thrown in her honor for assisting them all these two months. They apologized profusely for their crude behavior in the beginning, but her tears got the better of her and she ensnared them in bone-crushing hugs. It was only two months, however, she felt they had spent an entire year together. For once, they expressed genuine and honest sentiments; they revealed their love and their woe-filled hearts on the news she was to leave their lives.

She smothered Baekhyun in a hug, tears streaming down her face, unable to let go. The door swung open, revealing  three fellows, two students, one campus guard. Boys roared at one of the young men’s greeting, Suho, the one excused for personal matters. He smiled before his friends, then Chaerin, thanked her for taming this lot. Her voice had long since died when she caught the hint of her wise old man among the trio, his face twisted into a small smile. Her arms released Baekhyun and wrapped around Kris, her face pressed harshly into his chest. Gently, he patted her back and then held her.

“I have to go soon.”

“I know.”

“Will I still be able to find you on the roof-top?”

“No.”

She hesitated in her next question.

He merely kissed her forehead.

“I have duties to attend to. But, I won’t be completely gone from this wretched school. I have one last term.” He mumbled, leaning towards her lips.

On instinct her eyes began to close and that was when she saw it-his state of dress. She flinched back, a cry unleashed. “I don’t understand. How-?!”

He smirked and settled down into a chair that had been vacant since she arrived onto the scene. “Your jaw is unhinged, teach. Shall I restore it?”

She rummaged through her documents, attendance sheet, scanned for his name. “K-kevin?”

“Ah, they haven’t updated that old thing, yet? My name was changed to ‘Kris’ a while ago.”

Chaerin fell into her chair, bewildered, speechless.

“Noona, I haven’t made any progress upon your arrival and I am ready to fight against your removal. A boy has got to pass.” He flashed her a wide grin.

N-noona?”

“Don’t worry, Teach. I am legal.” He winked. And she collapsed into tears.


Minji could not stop laughing, her side beginning to hurt from her spills of laughter. “Noona? You? Haha! Who would have thought that was your future.” She snorted. “But who is this new guy you have been seeing since you wrapped things up at the academy?”

“New guy? Chae, what did we say about you leading on other men when you’re obviously taken? Didn’t we advise against wearing hot pants? You know boys are dogs.”

Her laughter died upon the entrance of a tall, lean, handsome young man come up behind her friend. Chaerin flicked his forehead, and faced her friend. “My idiotic boy is here. Time for this noona to get going. See you later, Minji!”

Minji suddenly considered her chances of acquiring a young, attractive guy as well.

“I swear, there’s no point in building up a cool, suave image if you’re going to tear it apart upon usage.”

“You call that cool? Honey, no. Not even close.”

“That’s not what you thought previously.”

Chaerin smacked his head lightly and pulled him down to her level by his collar. “The things you think when you are infatuated.”

His protest was effectively silenced by her lips melding against his.

“Shut up and you might actually be cool.”

“Now you’re just being cruel.”

“What has become of my wise old man?”

“What’s this about a wise old man? Are you cheating on me already? Record time!” He groaned as she whacked his head forcefully after his comment.

He trapped her in his hold, his voice low as he whispered,” I am damaged goods. How will you compensate?”

She shuddered, thrilled by his larger build framing hers. “A kiss for every unwanted mark?”

“Hn. Better get started.”

Chaerin laughed, pressed kisses all over his fair face, while his hands moved through her golden locks, his own mouth leaving a trail of kisses. She would most definitely be looking forward to this new objective.


A/N: It could have been better. Meh. My first crack at this pairing. Will improve in the future.