Chapter 4

Tomorrow's Stranger

Chanyeol arrived the next day and sat himself down when Baekhyun didn't come and greet him. He didn't order anything, only sat. He shut his eyes and fell asleep in the plush arm chairs, occasionally letting his head fall forwards before jerking it again. When his eyes were shut, he could have been any ordinary, handsome boy spending his free time in a cute and quaint café. When his eyes were open, the curious girls checking him out would immediately turn their heads back, horrified by them.

He wore the same grey t-shirt and sunglasses every day and listened to small fractions of conversations whenever he could about the goodlooking barista with a knack for 'accidentally' brushing his fingers against anothers. Chanyeol was someone who relied solely on his hearing and sense of touch to live as normally as possible. His hearing was superb and it hurt him to hear about how Baekhyun was carrying on with his everyday routine normally as if nothing had happened and the argument hadn't meant anything to him. It was almost as if Chanyeol ceased to exist. Just because Chanyeol couldn't see Baekhyun, didn't mean Baekhyun wasn't real to him. So why was Baekhyun choosing to ignore Chanyeol when he was so clearly in front of him. 

Baekhyun found his guilt increasing as the day went on but his pride was too much. He was immersed in his comic book behind the counter when he heard the jangle of the door and he stood up- Barista Baekhyun mode on.

'Hello! How may I help you?'

'Where is he?'

'Sorry?... Who is it you're looking for?'

Baekhyun started to feel a little panicked. He neither recognised the girl who had run in nor was he sure he'd be able to help her find whoever it was she was looking for.

'My brother? Your friend? Park Chanyeol? You are Baekhyun, right? He talks about you and he did say that if I couldn't find him, he'd probably be here...'

'Oh! He's...' Baekhyun pointed to the tall sleeping figure hidden in the mass of fabric, 'He's there...'

The girl smiled at him, 'oh right, yes. You don't have to sound so unsure, you know. That is my brother. Did you not know I was his sister or something? He hasn't spoken about me?'

Baekhyun shook his hands, 'No, I knew you were his sister. I just-'

'Noona?' Chanyeol stirred from his seat and stood up, 'is it Saturday already? I could have sworn it's only a Wednesday?'

He began slowly walking towards where he could hear the familar voice and make out the familiar, petite shape of his elder sibling.

'I came early this time. Can a sister not visit her baby brother?'

'It's not yet been a fortnight though...' Chanyeol replied cautiously, 'You never visit unless you have to.'

His sister sighed and shook her head with a smile, laughing. 'Have you finished all of the podcasts I downloaded for you, Chanyeol?'

'...Yes'

'Then I'm not late, am I?'

 

The following day, Chanyeol didn't come to the café. He didn't come by the day after that nor the day after. Baekhyun thought nothing of it, dismissing it as him simply enjoying his time with his sister. He carried on with his duty as a barista, grinding coffee, shaking up Zesty Lemon Freshers and being friendly to the customers. Jongin had taken the early morning shift, opening up the café for Baekhyun who was running late and in return, Baekhyun told Jongin to leave early to study. He would do the final sweep and locking up. It wasn't like he had anything better to do anyway. By the time it was nearing close, Baekhyun had his head stuck in a new manhwa that he had borrowed from the library during his lunch break. Service was bleak. It had been raining heavily all day outside so no one was in any mood to trek out to the café and the final few girls left had been given permission to stay and wait it out depite the café's officially closing time being more than half an hour earlier. The dark clouds had left Seoul looking grey and it was nothing like the hot summers days that they had been blessed with previously. What goes up, must come down.

There was a jangle at the door and Baekhyun looked up. It was Chanyeol- only he was slightly different today.

'Sorry, sir. We're closed now.' he said, looking at him.

The boy was dressed in navy jeans, soaked and stuck to him, and a drenched, bright sunshine yellow t-shirt. He didn't move from the counter.

'Sir? I'm really sorry but we're shut for now. We're only allowing customers to stay out of the rain here.'

Baekhyun sighed when he noticed Chanyeol walking towards a seat but he quickly returned to his comic. The guy would leave eventually anyway. The girls were sitting in Chanyeol's usual spot near the window so he sat in a different seat after seeing their dark silhouettes occupying the spaces where he usually sat with Baekhyun. The girls also noticed Chanyeol and the way Baekhyun looked so exasperated. They stood up to confront him. 

'Yah, he told you to get out so why aren't you?' said one girl, 'you should listen to him. He's had a hard day at work and he shouldn't have to take from someone that won't listen to him.'

Baekhyun looked up from his book and put it down, tucking it behind the jars of coffee beans where he hid his mobile phone as well. He didn't want a fight to break out. 

'You're not a real customer. You haven't bought anything so why are you here? You should leave. The guy who works here already said that this place is closed. It's only open for people like us who have been here for a while.' said another- her friend who was with her.

Chanyeol shut his eyes quickly when he felt one of the girls lift his chin to look at him properly. 

'Yah, why are you shutting your eyes? It's rude not to look at someone when they're talking to you. How old are you? I'm your noona so show some respect. This is Korea.'

Standing up, Baekhyun made his way over to the seating where the commotion was beginning to erupt. 

'Now look! You've made the barista come over here! You should leave before he kicks you out. Hey, open your eyes.'

Chanyeol gulped and looked up, opening his eyes. He heard their gasps of disgust when they saw his mismatched eyes and Baekhyun walked over at this point.

'Sorry guys, I need to clean this place up so you're all going to have to leave. You can all borrow an umbrella from us, no need to bring it back.' he said with a smile. 

The girls nodded and grabbed their things, smiling and giggling as Baekhyun brushed his fingers against theirs upon handing them the umbrellas. Chanyeol however sat in his seat causing Baekhyun to feel a great amount of stress. 

 

'Sir?' Baekhyun started, 'Sir, please... We're closed now.'

'Why do you keep calling me that?' Chanyeol said angrily. He was hurt that Baekhyun was treating him like a stranger. 'Why are you acting like you don't know me all of a sudden? Are you still upset about before? Because I'm sorry. Really I am. But you don't have to do this to me.'

'Wait. Chanyeol? Is that you?'

Chanyeol rubbed at his temples and grabbed Baekhyun by his collar, hoisting him up in the air with incredible strength.

'Look at my eyes!' he yelled, 'How can you not know it's me, you fool?! Of course it's me!'

Had Chanyeol been able to see Baekhyun's scared and apologetic face, he would have let go at that moment but it took Baekhyun a few whimpers and struggles until Chanyeol released his grip.

'Why are you acting like you've never seen me before?'

Baekhyun fell to his knees, defeated and out of breath.

'Chanyeol, I can explain. Really. I-'

'Are you ashamed of me?'

Tears spilled out of Chanyeol's eyes, stunning Baekhyun who didn't think blind people could cry.

'No! Of course I'm not!'

'Are you ashamed to have a blind friend? Because if you are, that's fine. I know how people look at me. It's alright to be the same as everyone else.'

There was a jangle at the door and Baekhyun turned around. 'We're shut! Sorry!' he yelled, and the girl bowed quickly and retreated. Baekhyun ran to the door and quickly locked it, turning the sign on the door to read CLOSED. Chanyeol sat back down on the big, plush armchair, puffing and panting to calm his breathing. He groaned a lot, wiping his eyes harshly, not caring about damaging his already broken eyes. 

'I know I'm flawed but you don't have to act like you don't know me anymore,' he said, 'I'm sorry for analysing you as well but you're the first person I've been able to be myself around.'

Baekhyun sighed as he sat down in the chair opposite Chanyeol who whipped his head around trying to sense where Baekhyun was, the sound of the rain hitting the glass windows drowning out his immense hearing. Baekhyun put his hand on Chanyeol's knee to show he was there and he flinched from the sudden contact.

'I'm really sorry about everything. I honestly felt so bad after you left the other day but when you came back yesterday, I was really happy. Truthfully. I just didn't know how to bring myself to talk to you.' Baekhyun said, chewing his lips nervously, 'Then when your sister came in and I couldn't recognise her-... Chanyeol, I'm so sorry.' He sighed, 'I should have told you this earlier. Then this wouldn't have happened.'

Chanyeol scowled, 'told me what, you jerk?'

'The reason why I write people's names. The reason why I don't remember people the next time they come. The reason why I asked you to wear sunglasses everyday and the reason why I've always sat you in the same place everyday. I... I have a problem.' Baekhyun took a deep breath, 'I've never told anyone this before because I've been ashamed of it. I've forgotten good friends of mine and I've lost almost everyone close to me because the moment I look away, I forget what they look like. The reason why I didn't recognise your sister and why I use the fact that you wear the same clothes everyday to remember you is because... I have prosopagnosia.'

Baekhyun looked away, unable to face Chanyeol.

'I can't recognise faces. The moment I turn away and get distracted by something else, I forget what that person looks like.'