iii.

In Between the Cracks of Sunlight

 

There is silence for about ten seconds before Sungyeol feels an overwhelming sense of guilt blooming in his chest.

He contemplates going after Sungjong (whom Sungyeol is almost completely sure did not stick around after having a door closed in his face), but settles against it because apologising is difficult and uncomfortable, and Sungyeol isn’t exactly the biggest fan of admitting his wrongdoings aloud.

Instead, he kicks off his trainers and changes out of his sleep shirt and pajama bottoms (no, Woohyun didn’t even let him change out of his bloody nightwear before he invaded Sungyeol’s dorm and dragged him halfway across the country) into a clean t-shirt and cotton shorts. He puts the rest of his clothes into the wooden wardrobe next to the door, folding everything neatly, and pushes his suitcase under his bed once he’s finished.

After everything is sorted, Sungyeol pulls back the blue comforter on his bed and falls back against the soft mattress, truly exhausted. He takes a few seconds to stare at the ceiling, chest heavy with guilt, frustration and even a little bit of sadness.

Sungyeol knows Woohyun and Howon were just trying to look out for him when they brought him along, but it’s been less than 12 hours and already, Sungyeol can’t help but be reminded of the exact thing he was brought here to forget. So he texts Woohyun to let him know that I’m tired so I won't have dinner tonight, you and Howon go without me before he gives in to the exhaustion in his limbs and falls asleep.

When he wakes, his room is dark, save for the moonlight streaming in from his open windows. A quick glance at the small digital clock on his bedside table tells him that it’s slightly past eleven at night. Sungyeol rolls off the bed, and yawns, still groggy and a little tired. He’s never been a good traveler, despite embarking on many a road trip with Woohyun, and even though he spent most of the car ride sprawled out across Howon’s back seat, the tiredness from the drive is lasting.

I should take a shower, Sungyeol thinks as he walks over to the light switch by the door and turns on the lights. He moves to gather the toiletries his friends had packed from his suitcase when his eyes fall to the crumpled t-shirt peeking out from under his nightstand.

“See this is why I hate wearing light-coloured things! They stain. How inconvenient is that?”

“Don’t be dumb and just put it in the laundry basket. It’s just a little soda, it’ll wash out,” Sungyeol laughs.

“Waste of time and electricity!”

Tongue stuck out. Shirt shrugged off.

Sungyeol grins and slaps him playfully on the back.

“Idiot. No one asked you to spill it!”

Sungyeol sighs and shakes his head. Not now, he wills his brain.

Not here.

He grabs his toiletries and a fresh set of underwear and leaves his room. He vaguely remembers Sunggyu mentioning that he’d have the bathroom down the hall to himself since the guests on the first and second floors had their own attached bathrooms.

Sungyeol locks the door to his room and turns around—and comes face-to-face with Sungjong.

The younger boy blinks a bit, looking just as uncomfortable as Sungyeol feels. He shuffles out of Sungyeol’s way and turns his back to head down the stairs when Sungyeol lets out a breath and says, “Sungjong-sshi. Um. Could you give me a second?”

Sungjong turns slowly, not quite meeting Sungyeol’s eyes.

“Listen, I… I’m not really…” Sungyeol starts.

“This is kind of hard to…” he trails off, struggling to get the words out. He groans in frustration.

Sungjong his lips nervously.

“I’m, uh… Sorry?” Sungyeol finally chokes out.

Sungjong furrows his eyebrows and his messy bangs fall in his eyes, forming a curtain.

Sungyeol itches to tell him to push them away.

There’s a slight pause before the younger says, “Your… Um. Apology accepted.”

Sungyeol bows stiffly, slightly shocked that his pathetic excuse for an apology was even considered by the seemingly high-strung younger boy. He turns away, meaning to take that shower, when Sungjong calls him.

“Hey, Sungyeol-hyung,” he says.

Sungyeol raises an eyebrow at the sudden addition of the honorific.

“The beach is a pretty special place. You should go down tomorrow. Talk things out with yourself. Maybe then you won’t feel so angry at whoever it is you’re angry at,” Sungjong says quietly, eyes darting between Sungyeol and the wooden floor.

Sungyeol’s jaw hangs open at the younger’s words. He wants to ask how Sungjong knew when he cuts in, “This is my third summer working here.”

“I’ve met a fair amount of people. I know,” he finishes.

Sungyeol readies himself to violently object to Sungjong’s suggestion and tell him to mind his own business, but somehow, he looks at the younger staring at him nervously (as though he’s suddenly realised that he’s said too much) with his floppy bangs and faded yellow SpongeBob shirt and the angry words die in his throat.

“Yeah. I guess,” Sungyeol says reluctantly.

Sungjong gives him a small, tentative smile.

For a moment, they just stand there, unmoving, looking at each other.

“Well, um, hyung, I won’t keep you. Thanks, for, you know, apologising. Good night,” Sungjong says quickly, bowing.

Sungyeol nods in response and returns Sungjong’s bow. The younger turns and makes his way down the stairs, just as he meant to before.

Sungyeol watches until Sungjong is out of sight.

“Good night, Sungjong.”


 

finally some progress? heh. 

what did you think of the small flashback? did that work? I don't really want to give everything away at once because I think it'd be weird for sungyeol to sort of space out for half an hour while he has a whole backstory worth of flashback. I'll reveal stuff little by little.

thank you so, so much for reading, and I hope this update was pleasing? enjoyable? I can't really think of a suitable word. If there are any errors, feel free to tell me! I'm kind of blind when it comes to this stuff ㅠㅠ

in non-fic news, sungyeol has left for belize to film the law of the jungle today! I'm so happy for him ♡ ♡ ♡ 성열 오빠 화이팅!

have a good weekend everybody! :)