One

Fatal Touch

 

Chapter One

It was an especially dark night, that night. Every star in the sky glowed a gentle white over the dampened pavement. Making it reflect and shine like silver against it’s dreary cobblestone surface. Though the stars were prominent, the moon's glow was cloaked by one lone cloud. A cloud that didn't seem to pass, fade or even drift out of the moon’s way. I stepped onto the silvery pavement, searching for prey. Although I was essentially a killing machine, I never drained the blood of anyone who wasn’t already harmed or dying. So, naturally, it took some time to find a suitable match. Dark nights were the best for hunting, the street lights were dim and the moon couldn’t light the town. Meaning that the street path was unclear to those without the ability to see at night. Someone could easily trip and make themselves the starter to tonight’s meal.

My steps were silent and untraceable as I followed the road, scanning every crevice and alley. As I neared the edge of town, I felt it. The luxurious scent of human blood, I stopped for a minute and sniffed the air. Tracing the unlucky creature in my midst. My mouth watered as I got closer to the forest at the edge of the town, where the smell carried from. Tall pine trees covered the landscape and bushes lined the road that lead out of the town. I creeped towards the scent and entered a clearing in the trees, where the figure lay.

Though my motive was driving me to leap over and drain him head to toe. I stopped dead. A teenage boy, no older than me when I was turned. His crooked body was draped over a large tree root. Probably where the entity that killed him had left him helpless. From my experience, it looked like an animal bite. A forest bear maybe? I wasn’t completely sure. While I stood stunned he was trembling all over and gasping for air. He coughed and sputtered, making blood drip down the sides of his open mouth.

A drop of scarlet blood travelled along his cheek defined and stopped short at the edge of his smooth, tight jawline. When the ruby droplet fell onto his neck- where the veins rich and teeming with blood- I couldn't help myself. Trying not to scare him to death, I walked at human pace over to him. When I drew closer to the spot he was lay in, his black eyes blinked open in my direction. The boy glanced over me with his dark, bloodshot eyes. He tried, with all the might he had left, to reach out to me. Expecting some sort of mercy from a demon like me. The kind of mercy I hoped for a long time ago, when I was a mortal, on my deathbed. I'd wished on everything I had that I could live, never expecting I'd live an eternity.

Without thinking I bent down beside him. He turned his weak, broken body towards me. Pain and suffering were written on his face. He lifted his head slightly and ruffles of brown black hair fell over his white forehead. "P-please... help..." he mumbled before letting out a pained growl. Although I was devoid of all human feelings and conscience. Seeing an innocent young boy like this, in pain like this, made me pity him. I dug my fangs into his neck swiftly. Before he could die on me. He let out a small cry of pain. Right then, I would have left him for dead, completely erased him from my memory.

Before I could run away something sparked in me and I unconsciously bit my own wrist. Forcing the bloody wrist to his mouth. The blood smeared his lips and he stole a glance over at me. "Drink" I assured him. His eyes were wide and full of doubt but as I pressed the wrist closer to his mouth, I could tell he wouldn’t be able to resist. Gently, he opened his mouth to my wrist, placing his lips around the wound. His defined top lip resting on the top of the bite, as his bottom lip collected the blood. For a short while it was pleasurable, bearable. Soon after this he bit into the wound itself and held my arm close to his face. His eyes were full of bloodlust and malice. "Stop." I ordered and he wouldn't. Determined not to be drained of blood I snatched my arm away.

He fell back in a sudden fit. His spine rose as he writhed in pain. Rolling back and forth with the vampire blood putting his body to it's limits. Slowly, his wounds closed and the skin around them wove together again. Finally, he was still, lying on his back with closed eyes. His heart had stopped and he was a dead human. Soon, he’d be a new vampire. Finally, my previously absent sanity kicked in then and I remembered who I was. Moreover, what I was. I fled, using unsurpassed vampire speed.

When everything was quiet and safe again I looked back, he was still lay there. Thoughts rushed in my mind, thoughts like: Would he become a huge problem for us? Would he go from town to town killing and eating every human in sight? Would they discover me or my family?

Everything was unclear but there was no going back now. What was done was done. Luckily, we lived miles away from the scene of this crime.