One Spring Day

Flowers and SHINing Stars

  Monday, the most dreaded day of the week, was here to haunt us yet again. As Krystal and I trudged to our classroom, Luna caught up with us. She had the usual spring in her step, which was unusual on Monday mornings.

  "Don't worry, Monday will be over just like that," Luna smiled as she snapped her fingers. Not even the Monday blues could bring down Luna and her incurable optimism.

  "Unnie, how can you be so enthusiastic on a Monday?" Krystal whined.

  "You should try being optimistic sometimes. It makes life more smooth-sailing," Luna replied as we entered the classroom.

  "Easy for you to say," countered Krystal, "You're just happy because the first period is science, your best subject. While you're acing it, we're struggling to get satisfactory grades or even avoid failure."

  "C'mon, Krystal, we all know you're good in science. A B+ is good enough for you. Is this because of Ms Seo giving you an F for that project due to 'late submission'?" Luna had a special emphasis on the phrase 'late submission'.

  "Y-yah! It's not my fault she doesn't check her e-mail daily!" Krystal told Luna.

  "Shh... Ms Seo's coming!" I informed Krystal and Luna.

  Ms Seo Hye-Eun was both our science and homeroom teacher. Although she was the same age as Victoria, she was far from being as cool as her. She was strict, prim and proper and freaked out should the slightest thing not go as planned.

  After greeting her, Ms Seo began, "Before I begin today's lesson, I'd like to welcome three new students. Boys, step in and introduce yourselves."

  The first boy to enter had small eyes, a cute nose and slightly curly blonde hair. He was followed by a black-haired boy with big eyes that were almost deep enough to stare into your soul.

  Upon seeing the last boy who entered the classroom, my heart did a somersault. Her had straight, vermilion hair. He was absolutely beautiful. His face was perfect, a face only an angel could have. Our eyes met for a moment,and he smiled at me. My heart skipped a beat and I felt butterflies flutter within me.

  The blonde boy was the first to introduce himself. "Annyeonghaseyo. I'm Kim Kibum, but I ask kindly of you that you call me Key instead," I heard Minzy snicker softly from the back of the room, but Key continued, "I am the vocalist and rapper of the boyband SHINee. I love singing, dancing, rapping and art." Key then bowed informally.

  "Thank you, Key. Please take a seat," Ms Seo instructed Key.

  Key made his way to the empty seat next to Luna and threw down his satchel. He smiled at Luna and she smiled back.

  The black-haired boy was the next to step up. "Annyeonghaseyo. I'm Choi Minho, I am the rapper of the boyband SHINee. I like singing, dancing, rapping and sports." With that, Minho finished his introduction and bowed. He took a seat next to Key.

  At last, the vermilion-haired boy started his introduction. "Annyeonghaseyo. I'm SHINee's maknae, Lee Taemin. I transferred here from Chungdam High. I love dancing, singing and basketball." 

  With that, Taemin bowed and made his way to the only empty seat in the class, which was...

  Right next to me.

  As he approached me, my heart started beating like crazy. I know the heart is an involuntary muscle, but this time it was out of whack. Ka-thump. Ka-thump. Ka-thump. Just as he was about to sit down, he smiled at me again. My heart skipped yet another beat as I returned his irresistible smile. 

  "Okay, class, for the rest of the hour I will be attending a meeting. I have assigned each of you partners for this pair assignment. It's relatively short, and I expect it done by the end of this lesson. Mrs Kim will come in to collect the assignments at the end of the lesson. Now, once I tell you who your partners are, please receive the assignment, sit together and finish it."

  Ms Seo began reading out the names. "Sohee and Seohyun, Chansung and Sohyun..."

  I was worried. Would I be assigned to work with one of Minzy's gang?

  "Hyoyoung and Minzy, Jiyoung and Noori..."

  Phew. Thank goodness. I didn't have to work with them.

  Ms Seo carried on reading out the names.

  "Suzy and Krystal, Luna and Key, and that leaves us with the last pair..."

  Oh. My. God.

  "Taemin and Sulli."