-One-

Duet

SeungHo tapped his chin thoughtfully, his phone in his grasp. He had just received a phone call from his manager, and it was now up to him to make the decision. It was a tempting offer, but he couldn't stop himself from wondering, why him? He had done it once, but he never thought he’d have to do it again. It wasn’t exactly his forte, so why exactly was he chosen?

“SeungHo hyung! Where’s my chicken sandwich?!” Mir screeched before appearing on his doorway, his expression accusing.

SeungHo looked at him lazily and shrugged. “I ate it.”

“What? Why?! That was my lunch!” Mir whined.

“I was hungry.”

“Hyuuuuung!”

“Yah! Go away will you? I have something to think about!” SeungHo exclaimed in frustration.

Mir’s eyes immediately brightened and he crossed the room to sit on SeungHo’s bed, his hunger forgotten. It was always interesting when his hyung had to think. He wondered what it was about now. He loved his hyung, he truly did. To him, SeungHo was the perfect leader. He was charismatic, passionate, and he would always put the rest of them before himself. Sometimes though, he felt sorry for him. The dark circles beneath his eyes were more prominent lately, what with their comeback looming. He tried not to be a nuisance, but then again, maybe he could help with whatever that was bothering him this time around.

“Stop staring at me like that. It’s creepy.” SeungHo said.

“Huh?” Mir said, admiration and respect still etched on his face. He shook his head and grinned. “Hyung! What are you thinking about? Care to share? Maybe I can help.”

SeungHo stopped pacing and turned to look at the maknae. “You know what, maybe you can.”

“So what’s this about then? A girl?” Mir smirked.

“Yah! You know I don't have time to think about girls right now.” SeungHo said, slapping the side of Mir’s head soundly. “Actually, manager hyung just called. He said Mimi wants to do a duet with me.”

Mir’s jaw dropped open and he stared wide eyed at his hyung. This was his problem? Was he for real?

“Mimi? As in the singer? The one who just debuted with that famous song?” He said in shock.

“Yes, her.”

“Hyung! I don't see what’s the problem! She’s awesome! You’re so lucky!” Mir gushed excitedly.

“I haven’t said yes yet.” SeungHo replied, collapsing on the bed.

“What? Why? Are you crazy? Hyung! She’s the ‘IT’ girl right now! Forget IU, forget Juniel! She’s every male idol’s dream girl! I can’t believe you haven’t said yes yet!”

“That’s the thing!” SeungHo said, running his hand through his hair in frustration. “Why me? When it comes to collaboration with an MBLAQ member, it’s always either G.O or you. Why me?”

Mir snickered. “Maybe she has a thing for you hyung.”

“Mir, don't be ridiculous. Yoochun sunbae said she was his ideal type, it’s impossible for me to compete with someone like him.”

“Ahh... but then again, you don't know what she’s thinking do you? Hyung, take my advice and just go for it. You’ll never get an opportunity like this ever again.”

SeungHo sighed. “I should, shouldn’t I?”

“Now give me some money.”

SeungHo frowned. “Why?”

“So I can go buy myself another sandwich to eat. You owe me this much hyung.”

~

He stared long and hard at her picture on the computer screen, wishing he could see what other male idols saw in her. Well, he supposed she had pretty hair, but then again, all female idols had pretty hair, so that didn't count. He analysed her features and decided finally that her nose was not as sharp as he would’ve liked, and her right eye seemed to be smaller than her left one. Not to mention, her cheeks were so plump he was sure she still had baby fats. Yup, definitely not his type of girl. He wanted someone classy, someone elegant, none of which described Mimi.

He gave a start, and let out an incredulous laugh. What was he thinking? He was just going to collaborate with her on a song and nothing else, so why was he analysing every minute detail of her?  

Maybe she has a thing for you hyung...

It was all Mir’s fault. He was the one who put the idea in his head and now he couldn't stop thinking... that way. No no, a duet and that was it. It wouldn’t go beyond that. He was too busy with MBLAQ’s comeback to have a scandal with a female idol... Not that he would want one of course, especially not with Mimi.

He checked his watch again and huffed in annoyance. Where was she? She was supposed to be at the studio ten minutes ago and she was still nowhere in sight. He rubbed the back of his neck in deep thought. He couldn't believe he said yes. He supposed it was mainly Mir’s encouragement that nudged him in that direction. But why couldn't it have been someone else? Someone that was more his style... He didn't know why he was making such a fuss about Mimi not being his type, but when a famous female idol requested him personally to collaborate with her, he had the right to at least be a little egoistic about it...

“SeungHo sshi...” A soft voice came from the entrance to the studio.

He spun on his heels and locked eyes with the girl standing by the doorway. He didn't mean to check her out, but it was hard not to. With the shy smile she was wearing, only one word came to mind: perfect. Yes, she was perfect... and he knew exactly who he was referring to. All previous thoughts about her not being beautiful enough flew out the window and he suddenly found himself sweating bullets. Definitely not the reaction he expected himself to have...

Mimi smiled at him, the hand holding the music sheets shaking uncontrollably. He was cute at a distance, but he was breathtakingly handsome up close. He was nothing like the flowery male idol she had often seen, and it was like a breath of fresh air for her to see how manly an idol could actually be. Yes, she was a fan of SeungHo. The moment she debuted, she had made it her mission to have a duet with him on a song she had written. To have a duet with someone else would be inappropriate, considering she had written the song about him. Not that she’d ever tell him of course. She didn't want to freak him out...

He cleared his throat and was the first one to look away. His cheeks felt warm and he was all tingly on the inside. Why was he feeling like this? She was not his type after all...

“So erm SeungHo sshi... Thanks for agreeing to sing the song with me.” Mimi said after snapping out of her trance.

“Uhh yeah.” SeungHo replied nervously. “You want to sit down?” He asked, gesturing towards the empty seat.

She smiled at him again, and he felt his heartbeat sped. Calm down SeungHo... he told himself over and over again.

She took the seat that was offered and told him to take the seat next to her. He did, but he made sure the gap between them was large enough for an elephant to pass through. He didn't dare sit too close for fear that she might hear his fast beating heart.

The large gap between them didn't bother her at all, since she too, felt the same way. She ran her fingers over the music sheets, recalling the night she had written the song. She first met him backstage on a music show, when she was working as an extra staff. She was not yet famous then, nor did she know the existence of MBLAQ. It was only when they locked eyes did she realise that she had to, at any cost, get to know him. There was something about the way he looked at her that night, though she doubted he would remember...

When she became famous, when she was finally able to perform on music shows, she had hoped to bump into him again, to formally and properly greet him. But MBLAQ wasn’t promoting the same time as she was, and she was left feeling slightly disappointed. That was when the idea of collaborating came to mind. She searched high and low for the song she wrote about him a year ago and found it stashed in her drawers when she almost gave up. Requesting for his participation was not difficult. She simply had to convey the message to her manager and he did the rest for her... She never expected SeungHo to say yes...

Now that she was finally with him, she wasn’t sure how to act. She had dreamt of this moment since she first knew of him, but to actually be in his presence was another matter entirely. She wished her heart would stop beating uncontrollably... It was uncomfortable...

“Mimi sshi... hello? Are you listening to me?”

“Huh? Sorry, did you say something?” Mimi asked, her cheeks flushed.

“I asked what the song’s about...” Seungho said.

“It’s about you.” She blurted out before she could stop herself.

He raised his eyebrow. “Me?”

“Aniyo!” Mimi quickly shook her head, feeling flustered. “No no! I meant uhh... It’s about... meeting someone for the first time, and instantly feeling the connection. Umm... it’s something like love at first sight...”

SeungHo nodded his head slowly. “Ok... Can you sing it a little?”

Mimi gulped before focusing her eyes on the music sheets. She could play the guitar, but as of that moment, she didn't trust her shaky fingers. She sang the song for him to hear, and SeungHo stared at her, startled. He didn't think she would have such a beautiful voice, nor did he expect such a wonderful song. There was something akin to hope in her voice when she was singing, and he wondered if he should ask...

“Mimi sshi, is this song about someone you like?” SeungHo said, deciding to ask anyway.

“Hmm? Oh erm...” Mimi stuttered. “You could say that...” She added, averting her gaze.

“Then why don't you ask that person to sing with you?” SeungHo furrowed his brow.

“I am...” She mumbled under her breath.

“Sorry, what was that?” SeungHo said before his eyes widened with realization. “Wait a minute, unless...”

Maybe she has a thing for you hyung...

“Unless what?” Mimi said slowly, fear creeping in.

SeungHo smiled and shook his head. “Aniyo. It’s nothing. Shall we get started with recording then?”

So she likes him. She may not have confessed openly, but the telltale signs were obvious to him. It was not often someone like her has a crush on him; in fact, this was the first time a female idol ever expressed their interest in him. So in all honesty, he should be happy. He was, but he wished it wasn’t so awkward. He needed to do something to ease the tension between them and as if on cue, his stomach grumbled. It wasn’t loud enough for her to hear, which he was thankful for, but it was loud enough for him to notice just how hungry he was. He cleared his throat and pried the sheets from her grasp, his smile intact.

“SeungHo sshi... what are you doing?” Mimi said surprised.

“Isn’t it SeungHo oppa to you?” SeungHo asked with a raise of his eyebrow.

“SeungHo o-oppa?” She said nervously.

His smile grew into a grin and he pulled her out of her seat, and towards the door. “C’mon. Let’s go grab something to eat first. We’ll continue with the song after lunch.” He said with a firm tone.

Besides wanting to eat, he also wanted to know when she first saw him. He chuckled to himself. There was a lot to talk about over lunch and he couldn't wait to begin.

He glanced at her and noticed the blush on her cheeks and he winked. This could be the start of something truly wonderful... 


Chapter Posted on: Jun. 11. 2013

Here's my one shot featuring the awesome Yang Chopin! Hope everyone likes it! And thanks soooo much to my 4 subscribers who subscribed to the story by just reading the foreword! I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!! ^^ ENJOY! =D