Up all Night

Midnight Without You

This is a semi continuation of my oneshot, Midnight Without You.  This story can stand alone but will make more sense if you read them together.  Chronologically, this story comes first. Up All Night is sort of the prequel to Midnight without You.  Think of it like the Star Wars movies.  The original three movies happen after the three new movies.   

I again will not be using names to keep the pairing ambiguous but I do have a pair in mind.  Feel free to guess in the comments.  If this experiment is successful, I may reveal the pair that inspired this.  Also, these chapters are drawing from song of the same name for inspiration.  Chapter one was inspired by the song, Midnight without You by Chris Botti.  This chapter is inspired by the song Up all Night by Kip Moore.  

Hope you enjoy!

 

 

 

I'm so tired.  She flopped onto her bed, exhausted after a long day of singing and dancing.  Being a celebrity wasn't all fun and games.  There was actual hard work involved.  She'd been working all day and was glad to finally be home.  Time to rest.

He looked out his window.  It was dark.  Hopping out of bed, he grabbed the clothes he'd laid out on his chair earlier and started changing.  He had a busy schedule tonight.  

He got in his car and started driving.  He would meet his manager at the studio.  Tonight he was scheduled to appear as a guest on Kim Jung Eun's Chocolate.  He was looking forward to seeing her again.  It had been a while since he had last been on her show.  Jung Eun noona just felt like his noona, she had a way of making him feel comfortable, even in front of all those cameras.  He'd been a celebrity for a long time but he still got nervous in front of the camera.  

Tonight would be extra special.  Tonight, he was going on live.  Normally, the show was taped but there was a special performance stage tonight.  All the performers would be performing live.  He took a deep breath.  Thinking about it made him nervous.  He turned up the stereo and hummed along to the song.  He didn't dare sing less he tax his voice too much.  

"Wake up."  She stirred in bed, trying to get away from the pesky noise.  "Wake up, it's time to go" said her manager, shaking her shoulder.  She ignored him and tried to snuggle deeper into the blankets.  I just want to sleep.  But he persisted and she woke up.  Another schedule.  I forgot I was supposed to go see Jung Eun Unni.  

In the car, she ordered her manager to stop for coffee before they arrived at the studio.  She was tired, very sleepy, and was falling asleep every few minutes in the car.  She needed the boost caffeine would give her.  

Trying to stay awake, she asked for the radio to be turned up.  Subconsciously, she started bobbing her head to the beat.  The song that was on was catchy.  Then she realized that she knew this song.   turned up into a smile.  It's oppa's song.  

"Standby" a pd announced.  He was backstage, waiting to go out on stage.  Jung Eun noona was introducing him to the crowd and to the live t.v. audience.  "Now" said the pd, giving him a friendly shove on the shoulder.  He flashed him a thumbs up and saw a faint smile as the pd disappeared back in the shadows.  He stepped out onto the stage and reveled in the audience's response before jumping right into the song.  He could barely hear the background music playing but it didn't matter.  He sang with heart, drawing on all the nervous energy he had pent up to put a little bit extra into his performance.  His stage fright was gone.  He concentrated on putting on the best show possible.  

10 minutes later, he was emotionally drained and riding the the energy emanating from the audience.  He sat down opposite of Jung Eun noona and took a moment to just absorb the moment.  He wanted to remember everything, down to the smallest details.  Of course, he wouldn't be able to remember it all.  But in the moment, he was on cloud 9.  He wanted to remember as much of it as possible.  

Hidden in the audience, she smiled at his exuberant expression.  She clapped loudly and cheered for her oppa.  She had been surprised to see him perform on stage but it was a good surprise.  He had really rocked the stage.  Her earlier sleepiness was gone, replaced by excited energy.  She sat down with the rest of the audience to watch the rest of the show.  

After the show, the energy of his performance still burned in her.  By all rights, she should be exhausted, too tired to even stand but seeing him had stirred something deep inside her.  She hadn't felt this way since she was a trainee.  Back then, the current idols had sparked that fire, that passion.  Tonight, oppa had brought back that energy--the passion of a teenage fangirl--that she had suppressed for so long.  She wanted to scream, shout, dance, and just go wild.  A nervous energy flowed through her body and she sporadically jumped or ran in in place to release it.  Calm down.  You don't want to be like this in front of Jung Eun unnie.  

Backstage, his manager wiped the sweat from his face.  The adrenaline from his performance was fading and he was coming off his emotional high.  His whole body felt weak but he still had the biggest smile on his face.  That was the magic of live music.  Cleaned up, he walked down the corridor towards the garage.  Pushing through the double doors, he saw a familiar face approaching.  

He came out through the doors in front of her.  Omo, it's him.  Her face flushed and she hurriedly tried to collect her emotions and calm her racing heart.  "Oppa, your performance was great" she called out as a greeting, bowing her head slightly.

She was beautiful.  Her hair was slightly stringy, like she had been out all day.  She wore a simple patterned blouse and skirt with very fashionable jacket.  She looked very ordinary, but he had always liked girls who didn't dress up to be beautiful.  Her makeup free face still radiated beauty, even if she was too embarrassed to show it off and hid her face behind giant sunglasses.  "Thanks, I didn't know you were coming to watch" he said, trying to say something neutral. After all, he was technically her senior in the entertainment world.  And they weren't that close.  He didn't' want to make her uncomfortable by saying something very personal and intimate because he wasn't sure their relationship was that close yet.  Does she see me as a friend or as a sunbae?  (sunbae=senior) 

The distance between them disappeared.  He held the door for her and she bowed her head in appreciation.  She paused before passing through.  "Oppa, it was great.  I'm going to see Jung Eun unnie but it was really great to see you.  Goodnight" she called out to him sweetly, before vanishing behind the door.  

He walked over to his car, head down, feeling a little disappointed.  She came to see Jung Eun noona, not me.  Oh well.  He entered the car and waited for his manager to come drive him home.

On the other side of the door, she stopped, hand on her chest, trying to slow her beating heart.  She leaned back into the door, relaxing a bit.  Oppa looked so cool with the sunglasses and the fedora.  I hope he didn't see me blushing.  So embarrassing.  She fanned her face with her hand, regaining her composure.  You're not 16 anymore.  Grow up.  He's just a sunbae, not an oppa. 

Back home, he couldn't sleep.  So he stepped out onto his balcony and looked out at the beauty scene before him.  The moon overhead, shining down, reflected in the Han river.  The night skyline of Seoul, a million flashing lights, beneath the night sky that housed billions more.  Somewhere in the city, he could hear the peaceful rattle of a train or subway car rolling down the tracks.  It was breathtaking.  But it was incomplete.  He looked around at his empty balcony, and his plain simple apartment.  Somewhere out there, there's somebody who will make this complete.  

Across the city, she watched the sunrise.  She'd spent a good 2 hours with Jung Eun unnie chatting, talking about her new shoes, new idols and just life in general.  She got back late and tried to sleep but her thoughts kept returning to her chance encounter with him in the parking garage.  Her face still burned from embarrassment.  So she gave up on sleeping and instead watched late night tv infomercials for a new fad diet, a new kind of ladder and some health supplements.  Now, the sun broke over the horizon, starting a new day.  

He saw the sunrise and decided to go in.  The start of a new day meant he needed to sleep to get ready for whatever he had going on for tonight.  Maybe I'll meet her today...maybe if I stay up all night.