The Truth

Let me be your Light

 

I slowly opened my eyes; only close them again as the brightness stung. After a couple seconds, I tried opening my eyes once again and it was better than the first time. I blinked my yes a couple of times to bring my vision back to focus only to see an unfamiliar ceiling. I felt the panic strike and I immediately tried to move, only to find that my limbs were tucked in tightly into a blanket. My head seemed free to move so I quietly looked around the room.
 
The walls were painted in a gradient pattern starting out with midnight blue at the bottom and turned lighter until y reached the sea-blue top. To continue the pattern, the ceiling itself seemed to be painted sky blue. The two walls I could currently see were beautifully done, not just the painting.
 
To the right of me was a floor-to-ceiling French window that took up almost three-fourth of the wall. The midnight black drapes were partially open to allow some sunlight to filter in. The slight light entering the room caused the silver ‘stars’ that were scattered across the drapes to sparkle. A rolling chair was there, looking more like a clothes rack; wt clothes thrown across the armrests and back support along with a pile lying crumpled on the seat.
 
On the left side, there was a small dresser-drawer with more clothes and many notebooks strewn across it. There was an acoustic guitar with a small picture of a white dog leaning up against one side of the dresser. A small bag was leaning up against the dresser as well and a closed white door stood near the corner of the room. Hanging above the dresser were a couple posters of various things; singers, soccer players, even some rare fishes.
 
After seeing everything, I attempted to sit up again-with very little success. I gave up a couple minutes into it and lay still, relaxing against my eyes. The panic that had earlier overtaken me was starting to ebb away and the heat that had naturally risen throughout my body was beginning to cool down.
 
I was almost asleep again when the door gently opened a shadow fell across the floor. I tensed up automatically, hoping that it wasn’t some strange ert who wanted to hurt me-my parents had always threatened selling me off and I prayed that I hadn’t been sold. The shadows around that person lightened and the first thing I noticed was a pair of chocolate brown eyes that I would recognize anywhere.
 
‘Donghae!’ my mind seemed to scream as my heart began beating at a faster pace. My mind began relaxing, recognizing that I was in no danger.
 
As I continued looking at his eyes though, I realized that they were slightly darker-almost black with many emotions swirling within their depths. His body seemed tense and the tray he was holding in his hand was being gripped so tight his knuckles seemed white.
 
“Donghae?” I called out, realizing how weak my voice was, but it did the job despite being hoarse. Donghae seemed to realize that I was awake. Immediately the tension flew from his shoulders and he rushed to the bedside, knocking things of the dresser in order to place the tray there. He came towards me and kneeled down beside me. He slowly reached out and gently brushed my fringe away from my eyes before lightly trailing his hand over my cheek. The relief shone brightly in his eyes and his hand caressed my cheeks softly, as though he believed me to be a glass doll that would break with the slightest pressure
 
“Hyukkie…you’re ok! You have no idea how happy I am. You-you fainted and I almost didn’t catch you…the amount of bruises on your body and the broken bones…Hyukkie I was so…so…scared! I called my mom and she picked us up in her car while Donghwa called our family doctor. My mom was crying when she saw you and even Donghwa looked so…shocked. You’ve been asleep for three days and I refused to go to school, how could I go when you-my boyfriend- was between Life and Death??? It’s decided Hyukkie…you can’t scare me like that…or in any manner of that…ever. OK?” Donghae was babbling as tears started sliding down his cheeks. When he stopped, he looked up quickly to control the tears before loosening the tightly wrapped blanket and crawling in to lie down next to me. He gently wrapped his hands around my waist and tugged me until I was lying with my head on his chest. He ran his hands through my hair gently, soothingly. I snuggled into his warmth feeling safe and home-something I’ve not felt since I was five.
 
I pressed myself closer against him, resting my ear near his heart and placed my hand on his black shirt. I was enjoying the feeling of Donghae running his hand through my hair and the quietness of the room when Donghae lightly shifted and took a deep breath.
 
“Hyukkie, are you comfortable?” He asked, whispering to not ruin the comfortable atmosphere around us. I didn’t want to speak, knowing that my voice would definitely ruin the atmosphere with its croakiness and I couldn’t nod since that would be uncomfortable for both of us, so I decided to use my hands.
 
I lightly moved my fingers to trace the word ‘yes´ onto his stomach. I heard him hum a little as he decided to hold a conversation with him speaking and me tracing my words onto his stomach.
 
“Do you feel sleepy?”    ‘No’                                      
 
“Are you hungry?”          ’Kind of’
 
“Do you still hurt any where?” When I heard that question, I remembered exactly what had happened. I remembered the punches and the kicks; the hurtful words and dirty slurs thrown at me; objects thrown with the intent to maim or kill and how I could barely walk; how I fainted in front of Donghae when I was trying to go to school. I could feel my body trembling as the memories flashed on a seemingly endless loop. I felt a sudden jolt and a pained gasp left my mouth as the memories halted as well.
 
Donghae pulled me up and placed me on his lap and turned me around so that I was facing him. He wrapped one arm around my waist and the other hand cupped my cheeks. I placed both my hands onto his chest.
 
“Physically, I’m pretty sure that I’m not hurting anymore. I’m not sure about everything else though.” I said lowly, my voice still slightly sore. Donghae hummed again before pulling me even closer. I pressed my body even closer to him, feeling the safety that surrounded me when I was in his arms.
 
“Hmm…let me get up for a second. I’ll get the food so we that we can eat it here ok?” he whispered in my ears, causing little shivers to run up and down my spine. I moved back a little and Donghae lifted me and placed me gently on the bed before slipping out of the covers and taking the tray of food. He moved back into the bed and I placed the covers around us again as he looked very focused on not jostling the tray. I sat back down on his lap and he placed the tray on my lap since I was sitting my back pressed against his chest this time.
 
We at quietly with him occasionally feeding me. The breakfast; French toast, lemonade, and a stuffed omelet, was over soon and Donghae placed the tray on the floor before wrapping his arms around my waist and nuzzled his face into the crook of my neck. I relaxed a bit into his embrace, enjoying the silence.
 
“Hyukkie,” Donghae started after a while. I snuggled into his chest more before humming to show that I was still awake.
 
“What happened?” He asked pulling my chin just little so that I was half-facing him. When I heard that question, I stiffened. How would I tell him about my house without scaring him with facts about how much a freak I am? Could I trust him with everything?
 
I was silent for a while and Donghae seemed to understand that I was fighting a battle within myself so he spoke again.
 
“Before you speak again and tell me your decision, listen t this song. I wrote it over the last two days…just listen alright.” Donghae said as he untangled himself from me once again. He walked over to the guitar and picked it up. He made a gesture for me to settle myself against the headrest while he settled down opposite to me. While he was adjusting himself, I stared at the wall behind him. It was filled with pictures-some with friends and family, some of natural beauty, some of him alone and some that looked like scenes out of a beautiful fantasy.
 
The guitar strings sung when Donghae strumming them and I returned my attention to him. He hummed as he harmonized and set the pitches. Then he sang
 
In the endless night
 
You walk all alone
 
Cringing from the fright
 
Shaking to your bones
 
 
 
Let me be your light
 
Trust me to be by your side
 
I’ll pick up all your dropped fights
 
Despite whatever fate provides.
 
 
 
You hang your head low
 
You try to hide; invisible
 
But for me you glow
 
You are completely un-missable
 
 
 
You carry the weight of the world
 
Trudge as though you are always in pain
 
You protect yourself like a baby; curled
 
And to the people a smile you feign.
 
 
 
Let me be your light
 
Take away all the dark
 
So that you can finally shine bright
 
And, in this world, make your mark.
 
By the end of the song, I had tears flowing freely down my face and I could feel the sobs escaping my throat. I heard the light thud of the guitar being put down and the rustling of the sheets as he came closer. I felt his warmth settle around me as he wrapped me up in his arms.
 
It was in that moment that I decided to tell him almost everything. I left the fact that I was a freak of nature out and Donghae didn’t seem to push me to reveal more. I buried my face in my shoulder, unsure as to how I could ever face him after telling him everything, but he managed to calm me down then as well.
 
Once I was done telling him, silence reigned over the room. I kept quiet, waiting for the outburst from Donghae, waiting to be kicked out. What happened next though, was surprising. Donghae pulled away from me a little and I hung my head, waiting for the push or the scream. Instead, he lifted my chin up slightly and made sure that I was looking into his eyes.
 
“Hyukkie, we may have only met at the beginning of this week, but I knew the moment I walked into that class and saw you that I was in love. I could feel something pull at me, like I was connected you. I do not think you are a freak, or a monster or whatever else your parents used to call you. I believe you to be beautiful and angelic ok? And I know it’s just been a week, but I can confidently tell you that I am head over heels in love with you.” Donghae stated making sure to keep eye contact with me at all times. I didn’t know if it was just me, but I could see flecks of red in his eyes as he was speaking to me. I looked down once he finished talking, taking a while to absorb everything he told me.
 
“I know that it has only been a week, but is it weird if I feel the same way? I feel connected to you, like it was fated that we end up together and I feel as though we’ve known each other our entire life. So would it be weird if I can tell you with confidence that I’m completely in love with you too?” I asked, hesitatingly. I glanced at him through my lashes and found him looking at me like he had lost control. I felt confused for a couple seconds, then that feeling left me and all I could feel was Donghae’s lips covering mine.
 
Our lips were pressed flush against each other and both of us were gently applying pressure, unwilling to move the kiss onto a higher level. After a couple seconds though, Donghae began to move his lips against mine and I closed my eyes, sighing a little under the feeling of his lips. He used the fact that my lips had slightly parted as I sighed to sneak his tongue into my mouth. My eyes snapped open in surprise at the feeling of his tongue lightly my lips before entering my mouth, but I soon closed them again at the heady feeling this kiss was giving me. His tongue was everywhere in my mouth, exploring my mouth as though it was a new territory to be claimed. His tongue soon found mine and then, they were playing with each other. I heard little moans leave my mouth and something that sounded almost like growls leave Donghae’s mouth.
 
After a while, we parted slightly, gasping for air. I opened my eyes and looked away slightly, unsure as to how I could face him again.
 
“Your eyes are pink Hyukkie-ah.” Donghae said softly causing my head to whip around and look at him. I had completely forgotten about my eyes and their color-changing abilities. I was about to run out of the room before I looked at Donghae properly and realized that his eyes were pink as well.
 
“Hae…your eyes!” I gasped unsure what I should believe right now. Donghae let out a soft smile and cupped my cheeks again before speaking.
 
“You told me that your parents started the entire abuse when you were five…why did you leave the truth out?” He asked me gently. I looked away, unsure what to believe and what to say. I looked back at Donghae when I felt the weight shift on the bed again. He had stood up and was offering me his hand with a gentle smile.
 
I lightly took his hand and stood up, feeling no pain in me at all when I did so. Slowly we stood facing each other our eyes almost glowing pink before Donghae quietly led me out of the room. We walked down a long hallway and passed two more doors, one with ‘Donghwa’s Room’ written on a white board and another that was completely plain. Soon we came to an unmarked door at the end of the hallway and Donghae gently turned the knob and pushed it open leading me to a small balcony.
 
We stood out there and watched as the sun set, our hands intertwined with my head resting on Donghae’s shoulder and his head resting on top of mine.
 
“Hae…why are we out here?” I asked without moving my head
 
“Wait Hyukkie…I’ll show you in a couple minutes ok.” Donghae responded without moving his head as well. Soon the sun had set and the stars had started coming out. Donghae lifted his head off of mine and moved to stand in front of me.
 
“Hyukkie, we both have color changing eyes…they change with emotion right? Well, along with that come wings and usually a power. You aren’t the only one like that. There are so many people Hyukkie and trust me when I tell you that we aren’t freaks. Usually we are born within a community of people like us. Our wings and other things are a part of our DNA. Both my mom and Donghwa have it too. We’re taught how to control and how to use, we are taught the history of our people. Our people do come to regular towns often and many people even hold jobs or have lovers here. That is the reason I am here. At the age of 16, most people began finding their soul mates and if you can’t find yours in our cities, it common practice to see if you have a human one. It seems that I’ve found mine.” Donghae said squeezing my hand as he led me towards the edge of the balcony. My eyes widened as Donghae started telling me about how there were cities full of people like us…’Our People’ he called them.
 
“Donghae…what are we?” I asked unable to keep the awe out of my voice.
 
“Baby, we’re Faeries.”
 
I stared at him with my eyes wide open. Faeries!! I couldn’t believe it; in fact I wasn’t so sure if I wanted to believe it.  This means that there were other people out there like me. People who were also hurt people who were scared but have been found and saved.
 
“Donghae, Hae, can I see?” I asked, my voice was small, but I was really curious as to what his wings actually looked like. I watched as Donghae took a step back and slowly reached to take his shirt of knowing that they might rip when the wings come out.
 
He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. Slowly Grey-blue wings unfolded from his back and extended to their full length. I couldn’t help but hold my breath and stare in awe at the beauty of his wings. He looked slightly amused as I stepped forward and put my hand out to touch the feathers. Their softness was not a surprise, since I knew how soft the feathers could be, but the way they almost shimmered were truly fascinating.
 
“Hyukkie, I want to see yours too…” Donghae said quietly breaking me out of my trance. I looked at him for a couple seconds before looking back down. I would have to take my shirt of in order to show him and although I knew he had seen my scars, I was unwilling to do it when I was conscious and fully aware of what I was doing. Donghae seemed to know that and walked towards the door and grabbed something that rested on the table in the hallway before walking back to me and holding it up. In his hand was a wife-beater.
 
I smiled at him and stepped away from him, making my way to a dimmer corner of the patio before removing my shirt and wearing the wife-beater. I walked back to him and stood in front of Donghae with his beautiful wings displayed. I closed my eyes and slowly allowed my wings to unfold. It had been so long since I fully opened my wings that I let out a sigh of relief. I felt my wings flutter lightly in the wind and I opened my eyes, ready to face Donghae.
 
Donghae had his eyes wide open as he stared at my wings. He stepped towards me reached out to touch me. My wings pulled inwards automatically, creating a barrier around me. I felt Donghae gently touch the feathers on the outside and trace the purple veins ran through a couple feathers. A couple minutes in, I slowly let my wings unfold and I heard Donghae take a step back. Once my wings had returned to my side, Donghae stepped forward again, letting his wings wrap around me. He stepped closer and wrapped his own arms around me. I rested my head on his shoulder and wrapped my arms around his waist. He ran his hands gently through my wings and then started speaking.
 
“Hyukkie, do you want to see one of the nearest towns? It also happens to be the royal city of our country.” His hands were still gently feeling my feathers and I could feel a shiver run down my spine at the softness of the touch. I nodded my head slightly wondering how we were going to go there so late at night. He tightened his grip on me for a couple seconds before jumping with me still in his arms.
 
His wings caught a uplift and suddenly, we were airborne. My mouth was open in a silent scream as I clung onto Donghae. I heard his chuckle as we started flying at a certain altitude. I opened my eyes (when I had closed them, even I’m not sure) and looked up at him.
 
“Hyukkie, this is what your wings are meant for in the first place! Come on, open them and soon, it’ll come instinctively. You can fly beside me.” Donghae said with a smile, looking down at me. I took a deep breath and allowed my wings to unfold. They caught the wind pretty quickly and soon, I could feel the pull against me as my wings started wanting to fly on their own. Donghae realized pretty quickly what was happening and let go of my waist, only to quickly intertwine our hands. I closed my eyes, fearing a fall only to feel the wind blow through my hair and hear the sound of my wings flapping gently. I opened one eye and looked at Donghae only to find him looking at me with a gentle smile. I looked away and blushed, opening both eyes in order to take in the night sky and avoid looking directly at Donghae.
 
You started a little late, which is why your wings were able to fly on the first try. Usually, flying is taught around the age of 8 or 9 which is when your wings are developing. Flight is something that is instinctive to us and once we reach the air, our wings know what to do, but since our wings are just developing at the age where flying is taught, the small ones tend to fall a lot…You did it well though.” Donghae explained as we glided through the night sky.
 
Donghae guided us towards the town and I simply followed his directions, using the time to feel the cool wind and trying to touch the clouds. We landed at the outer edge of a forest and Donghae slowly pulled his wings back in, causing me to do the same.
 
He then took my hand and slowly walked along the edge of the forest until it seemed we reached the meeting of two forests. Separating us and the two forests was a small river. Donghae walked a little way and found three stepping stones. He looked back at me and smiled impishly before hopping across them. When he reached the other side, he looked at me and opened his arms. I blushed and rolled my eyes at his cheesiness before hopping across the stones and right into his arms. He laughed as I lightly hit his chest. He then held my hand and walked to the forest edge nearby.
 
The two trees we stood in front of had leaves and vines that trailed to the floor like giant veils with flowers that seemed to grow in haphazard fashions all over it. He grabbed a couple of the tendrils of one tree and walked inside, causing me to follow after. My mouth fell open at what I was seeing.
 
“Welcome to Amalgma, our little home.”
----–------------------------------------------------–------------------------------------------------–--------------------------------------------
A/N:- the chapter was actually done on Thursday, I was waiting for s friend to proofread it...sorry :( and chapter 4 will be out in a day or so :) also, all credits from the poem to me. It is something that I have written on my own ^^