CHAPTER EIGHT: The Eastern Hall

Beneath Dresses and Tresses

CHAPTER EIGHT: The Eastern Hall


He was pacing inside his small room, head pounding in sheer confusion. He bit his nails as his skirt mopped the dust, feet tapping the wooden floorboard. Sungmin could not keep still. He was uncertain of what action he would take. Thoughts were scampering inside his head and they were slowly jumping in every part of him.

Two thoughts were able to make a mess of his mind. Two concerns that he couldn't quite figure how to face.

He could feel the heat on his cheeks; he was getting sicker and sicker with every step. He sat on the mattress, hoping to ease himself down. But he couldn't.

Letting out a sigh, he allowed his head to run through the thoughts once and for all: “Lady Ahra was back. After more than a month, she returned unannounced. And… Donghae had no idea what The Odyssey was.”

Another sigh.

Sungmin was tired and his body needed rest. His colds were getting worse, his muscles aching in pain and all he could do was surrender to his own physical limitation. He crawled back to his bed, the springs creaking as he forced himself on the mattress, his shoulders collapsing on the wooden mattress for support. There were so much going on within the day, and to think his encounter with Kyuhyun was just hours ago as well. How can he manage?

Reaching out for the small drawer at the bedside table, Sungmin pulled a thick bind that lay unused. He had prevented himself from reading it because of the disappointment he felt. He thought that distancing himself to the thing would cure the heartbreak, would let him forget the false hope he had gripped tight from before.

But now, it was totally different. It was like that tiny flicker of hope had finally lighted up fully, that the small spark of falsehood had turn to a blast of reality in his skies.

It was never Donghae. It was not him. 

 He ran his fingers ever so delicately over the cover like it was made of glass that would break by mere touch. He flipped it open and the drying rose was the first thing he saw. It had stained the first page of the bind, but it was beautifully painted on the sheet and Sungmin did not found it offensive. Instead, he smiled before finally focusing on the words in the book.

Sing in me, Muse, and through me tell the story
of that man skilled in all ways of contending,
the wanderer, harried for years on end,
after he plundered the stronghold
on the proud height of Troy.


It was a journey. It was of war. Sungmin deduced it was not a normal love story as far as the first words had spoken. He furrowed his brows.Romantic novels are too vague and one-sided. I have adventures and wars, those that tackle real lives and pain He felt his cheeks blush as he remembered the words Kyuhyun had spoken from before.

It seemed a long time ago, like Sungmin had known the young master since forever. He shook his head. He was really caught up in some sort of Kyuhyun trance and what was peculiar about it, Sungmin was not thinking about his uality. He was not bothered by it. All he knew was that the attraction he had for Kyuhyun was getting deeper in every way.

A knock on the door followed and he was quick to shut the book, placing it back into the drawer just in time for Sunny to enter. She was smiling a little, but her face was contorted with worry.

"Sorry, there was a bit of commotion in the main house." Sungmin leaned closer to her, wanting to hear more. Of all the days Ahra has to be back, it was the day Sungmin was ordered to stay in bed. It was the day his personal feelings started to afloat.

"Lady Ahra is back. She is wedded to Mr Siwon." Sunny said carefully, her tone free of any judgments. "The master and the mistress were shocked but of course our high lady is more than furious about it. There've been a lot of shouts from the receiving area."

Sungmin's thoughts of Kyuhyun drifted. Now, he was bombarded by the thought of wanting to go. He wanted to be there and see Ahra. He missed her, and he wanted to be sure that she was fine. He didn't care if Ahra had wed, in fact, it made him happy. He was glad that his lady was able to find a path for herself. She had always been responsible and caring; one act of the heart is not a sin. His lips moved up to a smile.

"How... how is she?"

Sunny shrugged and looked at him, her eyes sad and worried. Everyone knows Sungmin's attachment to Ahra, the young maid was the only companion the young lady would have at home, especially when Kyuhyun was gone.

"Master Kyuhyun is there. He wouldn't let anything happen to her." the scullery maid answered, gripping Sungmin’s thigh as a sign of assurance. "I can't go up there; you know I'm not allowed in the main hall. But we'll find out soon."

He sighed. He wished Taeyeon would have some news for them. She'll perfectly know what had happened. Sungmin could not miss their breakfast the next day. Gossips and stories would be told and he was certain to be there, to learn everything. "Hopefully..."

The maids were silent afterward, knowing too well that any inappropriate comment would worsen things up. At least Sunny's presence was able to rid him of the thoughts. At least the younger maid was able to divert topics and the silence that echoed in the room was comfortable. Sungmin could use some company as he straightened his back on the bed. Sunny sat on the stool beside and allowed him to rest.

She smiled at him. “I’ll stay here if you don’t mind.”

“Of course I don’t.” He answered softly. Sungmin wanted to rest and Sunny’s company was relaxing, he could rest without thinking about anything, just watch  the young cook flip through the pages of his old book.

Sungmin watched her acquaint herself with the letters printed on the bind of Pride and Prejudice. Her forehead was creased to a frown as she tried to make sense of the words she was building.

Sunny was never given the chance to study. She never had time to practice reading or to work with embroidery. She was a daughter of a barmaid and was employed as a cook at the age of twelve. Yuri had taken her in a cantina before they were both brought to the Villa. Sungmin had thought her the basic letters, but anything more, she didn't know. Sungmin and the others were fortunate to be ladies maid, it was a good occupation.

It must've been the colds taking a toll on him that he felt his head lolling down. His eyes were heavy and the absence of dreadful thoughts in his head had put him weariness. At least watching Sunny was able to put him to rest; at least sleep was giving in.

The young maid helped him straighten on bed. Seconds later, Sungmin felt consciousness drifting away a small smile still on his face as he murmured a soft thanks to his friend.


*****


When Sungmin blinked awake, the sky was orange. It was near sunset. He sat up abruptly, sending a painful pang in his head as he did so. How long had he been in slumber? He frowned, running his palms onto his face and neck. He sighed lightly and downed a glass of water on his small table. His fever was lighter.

He stood up slowly, weighing his own body. It took him minutes before he can finally walk around. He grabbed another robe on his drawer and placed an apron around him. He reached for the white cleaning cap on his drawer and covered his head. His hair was growing longer. He would've probably trimmed it by winter.

There was a soft grumble and Sungmin giggled at himself as he figured he was starving. He pushed any worry at the back of his mind as he headed to the scullery quick to grab a piece of bread on the table and a sliced cheese. It was cold, probably served at breakfast. Nevertheless, his tummy was not choosy.

There was no one at the kitchen, or at the staircase. They were probably in the resting quarters, waiting for the bells to ring. Sungmin avoided that one room and headed straight to the main house. There was no one at the halls as he passed through the corridors. He was feeling better after the light meal.

It was not in Sungmin’s nature to pry. But he could not stop himself from the need to see his young lady. He just wanted to make sure she was fine that she was not kicked out of the house. Kyuhyun would surely defend her.

In the years he had served the Cho's, he had memorised even the slightest of footsteps and to whom they belong.

Sunmi was at the study, probably attending to the lady. Inyoung was barking at the dining hall. Sungmin took a chance to peep at the receiving hall, leading to the visitor's room and swallowed when he saw Sooyoung and Kyuhyun in a heated conversation.

"This is not your family. Don't go deciding on your own." Kyuhyun warned her. "My sister is back and you don't have any right to be acting a lady of the house anymore.

Kyuhyun's voice was accusing. He was not at all pleased. Sungmin heaved a sigh, frightened of what had happened earlier. He bit his lip as Soyoung spoke:

"I was merely suggesting. I was not implying anything." her voice was not as firm as Sungmin remembered it to be. But it was no less frightened. "I didn't mean anything there."

"No one gave you the permission to suggest anything. Ahra is the lady of the house. She has all the rights in this villa than you."

"Your parents..."

"Bull what they say."

Sungmin straightened up. He did not want to get caught eavesdropping in such a heated argument. Sooyoung must've gotten over herself and got involved in the issue. He bit his lip and took a step back.

A hand landed on his shoulder and he almost jumped. He turned around in panic and came face to face with the lady he had always adored. His stern face turned to a sweet smile when Ahra ushered him to keep quiet. She smiled back at him and pulled him up the mansion stairs.

"Sungmin!" Ahra squealed as the young maid was enveloped in a tight hug as soon as they were at the end of the hallway.

"My lady!" He could not help but return the gesture. Ladies maids do not usually get intimate with their subject but Sungmin and Ahra had long surpassed the lady-servant connection. They were friends and Ahra had always granted him such opportunity.

Ahra was swaying their bodies together and Sungmin felt the happiness between them. He pushed her lightly and stared at her face. She was still as beautiful as she was. More than that, she seemed content. The lines of worry and stress were gone, her face was only crumpled with a  smile and her eyes were shining bright despite the setting sun.

"Sungmin, it has been a while." She spoke, pulling her to her room and closing the door. "I missed you." When they were inside, Sungmin noticed a lump on the bed. It was Siwon. He was resting on the head board, eyes closed but he was holding a small book.

Ahra moved closer to him and tapped his shoulder. "Sungmin's here." She whispered and the young lad straightened up.

"Sungmin!"

They were old friends. They were good friends and Sungmin was one of the loyal supporters of Siwon when he was courting Lady Ahra. He smiled at him.

"I heard you were not feeling well. Forgive us for coming unannounced.... and for leaving as well." Ahra sat on the soft mattress and motioned the young maid on the couch.

The room was warm and comfortable and Sungmin smiled at the familiarity of it. He had been too tied up to Sooyoung's room for a while. The fire cackled from the other side of the room, sending a homey aura around. It was calming to be inside, and Sungmin felt welcomed as a chambermaid once again.

"It was fine." He answered honestly. "It gave me a bit of a shock but I knew you were doing what you've always wanted, my lady.

She nodded in approval and twisted her locks, pulling the bun as she let her hair loose. Sungmin watched her in comfortable silence. They just smiled and sat comfortably while Siwon resumed reading his book. As he watched Ahra, it was then he realised how much he missed her. In those months that she was gone, Sungmin noticed how much she had changed. She was more independent. She did not ask for Sungmin's help even in fixing her hair or her skirt. She sat up on her own. She poured a glass of water for herself and she never whined.

Sungmin liked this Ahra. She was stronger.

"We're married for over a month. I was not supposed to return but I've heard from gossips in the central that a new lady had taken my place and my parents seemed please." She sighed and smiled, a tinge of bitterness reflected. "I really don't care about it. But if my baby brother is being inconvenienced then I have to do something,"

Ahra looked at Sungmin meaningfully. "She's not very kind, is she?"

It was Sooyoung. She was definitely talking about Sooyoung and Sungmin did want to tell her everything about the lady. He wanted to tell her how much she displeased most of the household, how she would cling to Kyuhyun like a baby and brag all about him. He wanted to tell her how she hosted the party from last night but Sungmin couldn't. As much as he wanted to, he could not speak ill of the other.

Instead, he says, "She is demanding and very much candid."

Ahra raised her brows and shook her head. "I don't want Kyuhyun falling into the same demise I've been. He enjoyed his life overseas, and I want him to continue it here. I need to talk some sense to him and from what I can see, he does not like her."

Sungmin remained silent. There goes Kyuhyun again. He could not rid himself of Kyuhyun's presence. It would always be him and Sungmin did not really find it irritating. After the revelations, there were certain things he couldn’t deny himself anymore and it made him blush a little making him to avert his gaze.

"I have to do something before my parents throw me out of this house again." Ahra continued, oblivious to her red-faced chambermaid.

 Sungmin looked at her, confused. "What do you mean, my lady?

"I am with child." She spoke happily and Siwon was immediately beside her, smiling. "I am with child, the reason my parents allowed us to stay back here. But we'll be moving to the east wing of the villa. I don't think staying with them in the main house would be very wise."

It took minutes before Sungmin was able to digest the message. His eyes widened and he smiled.

"You.... You're with child?"

Ahra nodded in affirmation.

"I... I did not...WOW... that was..."

Ahra giggled even before he could complete his statement. She moved towards him and smiled. "That was Kyuhyun's reaction when he learned about it."

"Congratulations, my lady!” He enveloped her once again. "I am so happy for you and Siwon...."

They continued to catch up and Sungmin did not notice the time. Ahra would always have that aura around him that would make him feel light. Sungmin giggled at every story. Ahra did not leave the country; they went south lived at Siwon’s orchard. The young man had invested on small things for the lady. Sungmin smiled as he listened to a beautiful love story born from simplicity.

He was happy for his lady and he couldn’t help but nod in affirmation even as he bid her good night.

He missed Ahra and despite the little assurance that she would once again stay for good, Sungmin was hapy that he gets to serve his true lady once again. 

He closed the door to her room and sighed softly. Maybe one day, he’ll have to tell her. If there’s someone in the house that deserves to know, it is Ahra.


*****


“Youll stay at the eastern part of the hall." Sunmi pointed at Sungmin and at Yuri. "I don't want to assign anyone different for Lady Ahra, she'll have the same maids with her. But Sunkyu, you're staying here at the main halls for scullery errands. Taeyeon, you be with Lady Sooyung."

"Wait... she's not leaving?" Taeyeon rose her brows. They had been called early the next morning for some changes in the shifts. Sungmin somehow figured it would happen after Ahra's return. But he did not expect either that Sooyoung would be staying longer in the main house.

Sunmi sighed. The head maid herself was not pleased with the other lady. Sooyoung was a difficult charge and poor Taeyeon had to attend to her. "She is. Madame does not wish her to leave for a while. They fancy her."

"But lady Ahra is with child." Sungmin interjected. "She needs more attendants than anyone in the mansion." Everyone seemed to agree and it half- surprised Sungmin that all of the servants know about the child.

"Master and Lady had called forth a nurse maid. She'll be staying with you at the east halls to attend to her when needed. We all know that they are not pleased with what Lady Ahra had done. But for the sake of the child, and because of the young master, they allowed her to stay."

Everyone nodded when Inyoung and the ushers followed in.

"We're done." The old man said. "Donghae would be with Siwon. It's not really needed but the Master mentioned that it would be scandalous not to have a young man an usher. Siwon is a part of the household, he's higher than everyone, and so he must be served."

"He is the young lady's husband." Taeyeon spoke. "I don't see what's wrong with that."

Inyoung was not pleased. He did not like Siwon much as the man had worked himself out of the situation he was in. He studied for Ahra, to prove himself. It was not entirely a fairy tale but it was of dedication and love. And the Master liked Siwon even before. He did not find it odd that he would assign a footman for him. Surely he was not pleased with Ahra, but Siwon was a different story and Younsaeng had always taken fancy to the young lad. 

Everyone curtsied and bowed as they were all dispersed. Sungmin sighed in defeat as he fixed his clothes at headed to the eastern hall. He would be staying there for a while. The servants’ quarters in that part of the villa was smaller but if he would be staying only with a couple of them, it’ll be fine. 

The only worry Sungmin has as of yet was that, Donghae would be with them. Their world would become smaller, almost constraining and Sungmin was not prepared to face the young usher.

It took them the whole day to fix the place. It was exhausting and Sungmin was able to finish more than half of his share for dinner after all the work he had done. Yuri had been complaining of her muscles. She was not trained for cleaning or moving furniture. It was sad that they had to work double for that day. Sungmin had sneezed more than he had his whole life. At least he was able to busy himself of tasks and not of thoughts. Physical exhaustion was better than mental and emotional.

“Are you feeling worse?” Yuri inquired as they set to sleep on their new quarters that night. Donghae got the end of the corridor and somehow, the two maids felt bad for him. The nurse maid would arrive the next morning and they would be getting aid for the house work. Sungmin shook his head. 

“I’m just tired.” He answered quietly before Yuri retired to her own quarter.

When the night went deeper and Sungmin had faked enough sleep, he slipped out of his room and made quiet footsteps down the hallways. He had not memorised the place, he made the wrong turn twice but finally found himself at the end part of the estate.

The maze was far from where he was, and the fountain he had grown accustomed with was barely visible. He was at the old part of the garden, under the maple tree Sungmin would never forget. Kyuhyun had spoken to him there once. He had shown his interest in him under that maple tree and Sungmin would never forget that day. He smiled inwardly, unconvinced on how he was acting like a lady more and more which he shouldn’t be.

He sighed.

After Kyuhyun had kissed him after the events in the maze, it was utterly obvious that Sungmin’s attraction to the young master was growing like flowers blooming fast in spring. He had tried to stop himself, he had tried to deny himself of it but was difficult especially when Kyuhyun was too keen on wooing him.

He did not know how long he was lying on the cold grass, a sheet of wool covered onto his body as the night grew colder. Soon enough, snow would fall, soon enough, the ground would be covered by layers of white, and Sungmin would miss the chances of lazing outside.

Moments later, he jerked when a warm sheet covered his shoulders down to his waist. He sat up in alarm and looked up. His heart stopped when a soft smile dawned to him in the darkness.

“Hey.” Kyuhyun greeted him brightly like it was a beautiful and sunny morning. He tightened his own robe and sat beside Sungmin. “You’ll get sick again if  you stay unprotected against the cold. Winter is near.”

“My apologies.” Was all Sungmin could say. He didn’t even know why he was apologising. He bowed his head and hugged his knees tight. It was not a “lady” gesture but he did not mind. He heard Kyuhyun exhale loudly; relaxing beside him like it was the most normal thing to do.

They sat in a comfortable silence that surprised even Sungmin. Minutes had passed before he realised he was not panicking nor distancing himself. He turned to Kyuhyun, eyes widening when he found the young master gazing at him.

Sungmin turned to look back onto the sky, his cheeks warm despite the cold. He tightened his cap and bit his lip.

"How is it in the eastern hall?"

Kyuhyun's voice was deep; a bit of a shiver can be traced from it. He was hiding it perfectly as he turned to Sungmin. Sungmin moved his head and nodded.

"We had finished the preparations, young master. Lady Ahra and Master Siwon can transfer tomorrow." Kyuhyun nodded, pleased. He hugged himself tighter and stared up again. Sungmin swallowed before opening his mouth to speak once again."If you don't mind, sir, we can go in. it's freezing out here and you're not..."

The young master turned to him and pulled him abruptly, his body warm and firm around the young maid. He was still on his suit, covered under his fur robe. Sungmin knew that his clothes were not as warm as they should be.

"It's fine. I'm well here just... stay."

He could not fight it anymore. He can't continue pretending because at that moment there was something more in Kyuhyun than the confident young master that he was. He was not teasing Sungmin. He was not provoking him into something intimate. The hug was simple, a form of comfort, companionship, and for the first time in a long while, he felt needed.

Kyuhyun smiled at him as he pulled away gently. His hair was a mess, his eyes were tired, but his smile was shining. It shimmered in the darkness and Sungmin felt a tug in his chest. He smiled shyly at the young master. It was cold and yet there was heat in his face. Sungmin had to eye his hands resting peacefully on his lap. He had never imagined being able to sit like this with Kyuhyun, with so much security.

“Tomorrow, Ahra’s moving to the east halls. I trust you’ll take care of her.”

“I will, sir. Rest assured she would be fine.”

Kyuhyun sighed quietly. “If I wasn’t there, they would have kicked her out. More so, mother would want her gone. Father was a bit understanding. He likes Siwon, it was no big deal.” He shifted slowly. “I was mad at her, you know. At Ahra. She left her responsibilities with me and ran away. She did not give me a signal, or a note, or anything. I was… disappointed.”

Sungmin expected that. A lot of pressure was put on the young master’s shoulders after the young lady has left. More so, their parents were pushing on the wedding. Kyuhyun Would have to stabilize the family’s reputation and wealth. It was a defence mechanism and the young maid had witnessed everything that was put at stake.

“Heechul cleared my head out.” The young master continued. He had this small smirk on his face as he turned to Sungmin. “Damn, that man had a lot to say at every aspect in life even if we had just met. He is a pretty good counsellor.”

Sungmin nodded, not really knowing what to say. Maybe Kyuhyun just need someone to listen to him. Maybe he had never had the opportunity to voice out his feelings. “And… even towards you.”                   

“What?”

Kyuhyun giggled. “You are adorable.” His knuckles touched the maid’s cheek as he leaned forward.

He stared at him, a different one. Sungmin had been used to Kyuhyun’s gaze. The young master was always holding those meaningful stares ever since they had met. Sungmin had always been drowning in those brown orbs every time. However, that night, there was more than a deep stare from Kyuhyun. There was a flicker that Sungmin recognize as admiration, appreciation, and something more. He bit his lip as Kyuhyun smiled at him.

His hand cupped his cheek, thumb brushing over his painted skin. Sungmin wanted to pull away but he couldn’t. His own body was denying his mind. Kyuhyun leaned in for a kiss, a soft one. His lips were cold, almost dry against Sungmin’s but the young maid did not retract. He did not move and just allowed Kyuhyun to linger on him.

“Have you read it? “ He whispered. “The Odyssey, have you read it?”

Sungmin shook his head gently, hypnotized by Kyuhyun’s voice. “It was you.” He answered. “It was from you.”

“And the rose?”

“I….” they pulled back but only a little, giving space for them to open their eyes and stare at each other. Sungmin couldn’t hold back. He can’t fight it anymore. His own resolve went crashing like waves hitting the shore. “I have it.” And Kyuhyun smiled before leaning it for another kiss.

They kissed, soft and passionate. The boundaries have been broken, the line of statuses have been void. There was no master or servant. Secrets were pushed back as Sungmin finally gave in. He likes Kyuhyun, maybe even more. And he’s getting there, every time.

“Heechul told me I should listen inside me.” He spoke in between kisses. “I did. And I found you.”

His cold hands were on the maid’s cheeks. He gazed at him. “Don’t choose Donghae. Don’t be with him.”

Sungmin pushed him a little, his hands resting on Kyuhyun’s chest. “I am not with Donghae.” He denied, unsure of why he was even admitting such to the master. 

“Then that’s better.” Kyuhyun smiled at him. “We can make this work.”

“You don’t know anything about me.” He murmured but there was no resistance in his voice. “You don’t know me and yet…”

“I know you.” Your eyes tell me everything. You’re Sungmin, and you are the very first one who had made me like this. Time maybe damned, I don’t care.” His voice was full of passion it was beautiful Sungmin could feel his eyes welling in tears as he was overwhelmed by a lot of things.

“I…”

“Give us a chance. No one should know, nothing matters anyway. Just you and me.”

His heart let out a strong thump. Sungmin could feel his muscles weak. He was having hard time breathing and so, he stood up, straightening his legs and fixing his skirt. Kyuhyun followed suit, but he just moved towards the maid and fixed the robe around him.

“Sungmin…”

He swallowed loudly when Kyuhyun pushed his chin up meeting their eyes. 

“I…” He was supposed to say “I don’t know” or “ No.” But he couldn’t bring himself to say the words. It was pathetic and annoying at the same time but Sungmin just stared and did something he never expected to do. He leaned forward and kissed Kyuhyun.

It was the first time he initiated something as intimate as a kiss and Kyuhyun just smiled and pull him closer, accepting him. He tightened his hold on him as their bodies moulded together in the dark.

“Thank you.” Kyuhyun whispered and kissed his cheek.

“Young master…”

“Please. Call me Kyuhyun.”


To be continued….


A/N: Hi. This took more time than it should be. Sorry. I was busy the past weeks and October really had a lot in for me. So yeah. But here it is now. 
Things would get more complicated from here on. Not just with KyuMin but everything else. I hope you guys still remember this and I hope you all like this. aAll comments have been read and I love you all for the words you have spoken! I’m sorry I couldn’t reply to every single one. Know that I love you, lovely , awesome readers :)