Cat Walk

Cat Walk

Wow 50+ subs. Thanks guys ;_; This is probably the most innocent thing I've written so far...and also the first time writing mostly from Gyu's pov. inspired by my own cat who was really fat, so we got him a harness to take him for walks, but he was too fat for the harness so we gave up. Hope you like it <3

-

Sunggyu sneezed once again, rubbing his nose absently. The flowers were in full bloom and the smell of pollen was almost overwhelming. But working in a flower shop, it was unavoidable. He had been working in the shop since graduating high school, and moving to the city. It was one of his many part time jobs that he kept while attempting to pay his rent, and keep up with his living expenses.

Flower Boy Flower Shop was the name of the store. Sunggyu always thought it was amusing that he was even hired. He never considered himself a ‘flower boy’ or anything remotely similar. But the owner, a cheerful lady in her early fifties, Mrs. Choi, insisted otherwise.

“If you just got your hair done.” She would say. “It would make all the difference.”

She then would go on to suggest all the best hairstylists in the area.

Sunggyu never did take her advice. He settled with his light colored bangs. He had no desire to be a pretty boy or anything. He just wanted to do his job, make some money, and go home to his small apartment and eat whatever he could afford to throw together for dinner.

Every afternoon, while working his shift, the floral perfume scent would become too much for him, and would step out of the shop. He usually stood at the street corner, or leaned against the building, watching excited young men buy bouquets for their girlfriends, or tired looking older men purchasing the typical red rose for their wives on their anniversary.

On one specific afternoon, he was leaning against the shop’s brick wall that had been painted a merry ocean blue. Another young man, probably in college, Sunggyu guessed, shyly purchased a lavender rose bouquet. Mrs. Choi looked to be telling him some encouraging words and he nodded bashfully, keeping his shoulders hunched nervously as he slowly stepped out of the shop. He passed Sunggyu blissfully unaware of the world around him, happily gazing at the roses in his hands.

Lavender…” Sunggyu took note of the color of the roses. He smiled slightly. “Love at first sight, huh?”

After working at the flower shop for some time, he had learned the different meanings to the flower types and colors. There wasn’t any official meanings listed on any registry or anything like that. But there usually was a pattern to what flowers attracted what kind of customer. After a time, Mrs. Choi and Sunggyu attached certain species and colors to certain situations. Love at first sight was lavender flowers, usually roses. Daisies and daffodils were usually given amongst friends, typically in yellow. Baby’s Breath and other white flowers were for a sweet innocent springtime romance.

Sunggyu always wondered why exactly people give flowers. Why does just the idea of receiving flowers, have the power to make people feel something? He figured there were some chemicals in the brain or something like that involved.

Mrs. Choi had told him that flowers, are, in a word a sheer pure kind of beauty. And that’s why people were so attracted to them. There was nothing else quite like the beauty of a flower.

Sunggyu had joked with her, asking, “What about flower boys? Aren’t they a beauty like no other?”

Mrs. Choi merely smiled and replied, “Maybe if you ever give or receive flowers you’ll understand.”

But Sunggyu had never understood. Sure, he sent flowers to his mother on occasion. But that was about it. He only really did it as a formality. He still couldn’t quite grasp what he was supposed to feel. It was odd, he thought. That even though he worked at a flower shop, he, himself didn’t believe in their beauty or understand their meaning.

It almost made him feel jealous in some way. Of all the customers who walked out with that certain look on their face. Their smiles. It was always the same. Like they all had some kind of shared understanding, as if they were in some exclusive club that Sunggyu wasn’t allowed entrance to.

He was so caught up in his thoughts, that he didn’t realize something on his leg. He looked down to see a smoky grey cat rubbing up against his leg. He gasped, and backed away on first instinct. He wasn’t too fond of animals. He thought they were cute and all. But only to look at from a safe distance.

“Ah sorry.”

He looked up to see a boy, probably around his age, holding onto a leash that was connected to the red harness that the cat had on. The boy was pursing his lips, and looked like he was trying to hold back laughter. He was a little shorter than Sunggyu, and had soft dark brown bangs. His eyes…were strange. There was a bit of a mysterious twinkle in them.

“…Its fine?” Sunggyu blinked, kind of bewildered at the sight. He had never seen someone walking a cat before. He didn’t even think people could do that. The boy nodded slightly, before continuing on, down the street.

Sunggyu walked back into the flower shop, the strong sweet fragrance invading his nose once again. Mrs. Choi looked up from the counter and smiled.

“Had a nice break?”

“I didn’t know cats could be walked.” Sunggyu rubbed the back of his head.

“Hm?” Mrs. Choi tilted her head curiously.

“Never mind…” Sunggyu shook his head, smiling slightly at the older woman. “It’s nothing.”

•••

The next afternoon, Sunggyu was outside, taking his usual break, when once again, he felt a rubbing against his leg, only to see the same grey smoky colored cat there. He inched away from the affectionate feline, awkwardly.

“I guess she really likes you.”

He met the boy’s gaze. Today the boy was wearing a cap that made him look five years younger.

“Why?” Sunggyu managed to ask.

“Why does she like you?” The boy smiled slightly. “Maybe because she knows you’re a good person?”

Sunggyu could only stare, as the boy waved slightly, before heading down the street. Sunggyu watched the boy’s back, as he descended down the street. His back seemed so small. Sunggyu thought he looked like a little boy from where he was standing. For some reason his chest sort of ached, but then he thought of the boy’s words and his lips curved slightly upwards.

•••

“You’ve been smiling the whole morning.” Mrs. Choi pointed out, the next day, as Sunggyu cheerfully moved some plastic pots to the back. “What happened?” She asked, matching Sunggyu’s pep.

“Who? Me?” Sunggyu pointed to himself absently. “I’m not smiling.”

“Yes you are silly.” Mrs. Choi giggled. “Something good happened, isn’t it?”

“No…” Sunggyu looked down shyly. “It’s nothing like that.” He glanced out the window for a moment. He wondered if that boy would pass the store again today.

At that specific time he waited outside the store. He wanted to laugh at himself for being like this. What exactly was he waiting for? For some kid who barely said two words to him? No, he told himself. He was simply taking his afternoon break. Yes, that was all. It wasn’t like he was especially waiting for the boy. But should he pass, by mere coincidence then Sunggyu wouldn’t mind. He wouldn’t mind at all.

But twenty minutes passed, and the boy hadn’t appeared. Sunggyu sighed sadly, and realized he was being ridiculous. Just because he stopped by two times…why would he come again? It wasn’t as if he had promised Sunggyu or anything like that. They didn’t even know each other’s names.

He was about to turn in for the day when he heard some shouting.

“Cactus!” He saw the boy running down the street. The boy stopped turning to Sunggyu. “Um, excuse me, have you seen Cactus?”

“Cactus?”

“The cat.”

“Ah…” Sunggyu noticed the cat was not with the boy, as she usually was. “No. Why? Did she run away?”

The boy darted his eyes anxiously, before forcing a slight smile and nodding. “No. It’s ok. Don’t worry about it.” He was about to bolt off, when Sunggyu grabbed his arm. He turned, his eyes meeting Sunggyu’s in surprise. Sunggyu, himself didn’t know what exactly he was doing.

“Um…” Sunggyu bit his lip. “I can help you find her.”

The boy blinked. “You will? But…” He glanced behind Sunggyu at the flower shop. “What about your job—?”

“It’s fine.” Sunggyu assured him. Mrs. Choi would understand, he told himself, and followed the boy down the street.

•••

Sunggyu learned the boy’s name was Nam Woohyun and he was eighteen—two years younger than himself. But he didn’t get much else from Woohyun. Sunggyu was starting to think that Woohyun wasn’t an open book. He wanted to ask him so many questions. But there was one that he was desperately wondering about.

Why does he walk his cat?

He stole another glance at the younger boy. Woohyun’s expression was filled with concern, but for some reason, Sunggyu felt like it wasn’t genuine.

Half an hour passed, and they ended up in the park as the sun was setting, painting the sky a deep orange. It reminded Sunggyu of the country’s national flower, the hibiscus. Those vibrant orange petals gave Sunggyu a warm relaxed feeling, like summer was on its way.

He stopped, when he realized Woohyun had plopped down on a nearby bench. Sunggyu approached him, and took a seat beside him.

He glanced at the younger, taking in his somber expression.

“Um…” Sunggyu cleared his throat. “We’ll find her.”

Woohyun didn’t say anything and nodded quietly.

Sunggyu bit his lip nervously. He searched his mind for something, anything to say or do that would give Woohyun some hope. He spotted some slightly trampled weeds on the lawn beside him. He smiled slightly, as he got an idea. He knelt down into the grass, and pulled out a dandelion, before turning to Woohyun.

“Here.” He it towards Woohyun.

“Huh?” Woohyun looked up, studying the dandelion for a moment. “A weed?”

“No, not a weed.” Sunggyu returned to his seat beside Woohyun. “A dandelion. Make a wish and blow on it.”

Woohyun blinked. “Why?”

“See those little seeds in there.” Sunggyu pointed to the fuzzy cotton like seeds. “There all little fighters determined to make your wish come true. All you need to do is release them into the sky. Let them fly so that they can do their job.”

Woohyun stared at Sunggyu for a moment, before smiling slightly. “You just made that up, didn’t you?”

Sunggyu pouted. “N-No! It’s totally a real thing. I work at a flower shop. I know what I’m talking about.”

Woohyun chuckled softly, before focusing his attention on the dandelion again. He closed his eyes, to make his wish.

He’s actually doing it?” Sunggyu smiled to himself. Woohyun opened his eyes and blew on the seeds, sending them flying into the quickly darkening sky.

“Did you wish for us to find Cactus?” Sunggyu asked, grinning slightly.

“No.” Woohyun replied, easily.

“What?” Sunggyu blinked. “But—.”

“I wished…” Woohyun clutched onto the dandelion stem, looking down at the ground with a slight smile. “I wished to see you again.”

Sunggyu tilted his head in confusion. “I…I don’t understand. What about Cactus? Aren’t you worried about her—?”

“Why would I be worried about her?” Woohyun grinned, turning to Sunggyu. “She’s at home, probably sleeping.”

“What?” Sunggyu suddenly stood up. “But before you said….I thought…then why were we—?”

“Sorry.” Woohyun chuckled sheepishly. “I just….I thought that would be the only way that I would be able to talk to you.”

“Um…” Sunggyu blinked. “Why did you want to talk to me?”

Woohyun smiled. “Because, I want to be your friend.”

“Why?”

“Because…” Woohyun stood up, taking a step towards Sunggyu. “I think you’re cool, and stuff, so I wanted to be friends with you.”

Sunggyu snorted. “Cool? You think I’m cool?”

“Yeah.”

“Why?” Sunggyu stared at him in disbelief. “I work in a flower shop, and I’m scared of animals.”

Woohyun merely smiled again. But it made Sunggyu confused, and get that weird aching in his chest. He kind of wanted to tell Woohyun to stop smiling like that, because there was no point in doing it, if you don’ t really mean it. He didn’t know how he knew Woohyun didn’t mean it, but he just felt it.

“Can I visit the shop tomorrow?” Woohyun asked.

“Uh…I guess.” Sunggyu rubbed the back of his head. “I mean, if you want.”

“Cool, I’ll bring Cactus along.”

Sunggyu averted his eyes uncomfortably. “Uh, that’s ok. You don’t have to—.”

“Aw, but she really likes you.” Woohyun chuckled.

“Yeah right.” Sunggyu sighed.

“No really. She always rubs and purrs with you.” Woohyun explained. “She does that with people she likes. You know, she has a sense as to whether a person is good or not?”

“She probably does that with everyone.” Sunggyu folded his hands shyly.

“No…she doesn’t.” Sunggyu looked up, noticing the sudden drop in Woohyun’s mood. He was still smiling, but it didn’t reach his eyes, that seemed sort of sad. Sunggyu wondered if he was overanalyzing the boy. Maybe it was just his imagination. “She never does that with me.” Woohyun muttered, smiling bitterly. “Because she knows…”

Sunggyu studied his face curiously. “What?”

“Nothing.” Woohyun shook his head, pasting a casual grin on his face. “Well see you tomorrow!”

•••

“Why do you keep looking out the window?” Mrs. Choi asked, from her perch at the front counter. “Waiting for someone, Sunggyu-yah?”

“Um, well…” Sunggyu smiled slightly. “Kind of.”

Mrs. Choi merely smiled in response, before disappearing into the back.

Sunggyu pursed his lips, turning his attention to the window again, when Woohyun appeared strolling along with Cactus in tow, proudly sporting her red harness.

“Can I bring her in?” Woohyun asked, stopping at the doorway.

“Sure, as long as she doesn’t eat anything.” Sunggyu shrugged.

Woohyun nodded and unlatched Cactus from her harness, before walking up to Sunggyu.

“You’re just going to let her go like that?” Sunggyu watched nervously, as Cactus sniffed some potted plants beside him.

“Sure. She won’t go anywhere anyways.” Woohyun knelt down in front of the potted plants, and Cactus immediately left. Woohyun chuckled awkwardly, looking up at Sunggyu. “See? Told you she doesn’t act nice with me.”

Sunggyu couldn’t say anything. He was still confused by Woohyun and what he said last night. Did he mean he wasn’t a good person? What did he do? Did he kill someone? Sunggyu realized he knew nothing of this person, and that sort of alarmed him, because he was clearly already attached to him.

Woohyun leaned forward, holding a daisy between his second and third finger, inhaling its fragrance.

“Be careful, don’t put your nose too close, or a bug will go in.” Sunggyu remarked, causing Woohyun to gasp and back away in an instant. He ended up tripping backwards, landing on his bottom. Sunggyu couldn’t help the smile forming, and the laugh building up in his throat.

Woohyun blushed slightly, when he realized Sunggyu was laughing at him.

“I-I should go.” Woohyun hastily got to his feet, and turned.

“Wait, I’m sorry.” Sunggyu was still smiling as he gripped onto the boy’s arm. Woohyun stopped, turning around again, though his eyes were covered by the lid of his cap. “I wasn’t laughing at you, it’s just…”

“It’s fine.” Woohyun raised his head, that uncomfortable smile on his face once again. “I get it.”

Sunggyu frowned. “No, I just—.”

“Cactus! Aish, where’d that cat disappear off too?” Woohyun grinned, hastily changing the subject. He moved past Sunggyu, attempting to search for the missing feline. Sunggyu turned watching Woohyun’s back. His eyes wandered to a butterfly landing on a lavender plant.

He wondered if flowers really could make people happy.

He returned his gaze to Woohyun, who had knelt down beside Cactus who was lying down beside some baby orange blossoms in black plastic pots. Woohyun sighed softly, sadly, as he just stared at Cactus, not daring to reach out and touch her.

If they could make you smile for real…” Sunggyu watched Woohyun’s gloomy gaze. “I’d give them all to you.”

•••

Woohyun didn’t show up the next day.

Sunggyu wondered if he was ok. He wondered if he did something wrong.

Mrs. Choi sighed, watching Sunggyu staring out the window with an almost lost look.

“I’m sure he’s fine.”

Sunggyu turned to the older lady. “Excuse me?”

Mrs. Choi smiled softly. “Don’t worry too much, ok?”

Sunggyu nodded, but he didn’t know if that was possible.

•••

A week passed, and Sunggyu had heard nothing of Woohyun. He decided he should just let it go, but a little part of him refused to. He didn’t let his concerns affect his job or anything, though Mrs. Choi could tell he wasn’t quite himself.

On a particularly cloudy afternoon, Sunggyu was tending to the potted flowers amongst the display window, when just like that Woohyun was there. He thought his eyes were deceiving him for a moment. But they weren’t. He was there, walking with a group of kids, probably his age. Cactus was there too of course. Sunggyu noticed Woohyun was still wearing that mask of his. That smile that held really no warmth at all.

“So he’s like that with everyone…” Sunggyu wondered, placing his tin water can down. He pondered stepping out and approaching Woohyun, but hesitated. Why should he? Woohyun up and disappeared just like that. And now here he was, with his friends, not even sparing a glance in the shop’s direction.

But Sunggyu felt like that wasn’t all. That wasn’t all there was to Nam Woohyun.

Maybe it was his own delusions, or this annoying habit he picked up from Mrs. Choi, of always attempting to see beyond what people are willing to show. But whatever it was, it was willing his feet forward out the door. He had to run to catch up to Woohyun and his friends.

“Y-Yah!” He shouted, as he ran. “Nam Woohyun!”

Woohyun and his friends stopped after a couple of seconds, turning around, as Sunggyu approached them. He was panting, as he grabbed onto Woohyun’s arm, causing him to drop Cactus’s leash.

“Y-You…” Sunggyu paused to catch his breath.

Woohyun was staring at him in shock and horror, not exactly the reaction he was hoping for. But he came all this way so he might as well go through with it.

“Yah Woohyun,” One of the boys, wearing a black shirt nudged Woohyun. “Who’s this—?”

Sunggyu suddenly wrapped his arms around Woohyun, surprising everyone in the area, including himself.

“I…I was worried about you.” Sunggyu whispered in Woohyun’s ear.

Woohyun just stood there, eyes wide. “…You were?” He breathed.

“Ew gross.” The black shirted dude choked.

“Yeah, who’s this ert?” Another boy jeered.

Sunggyu immediately let Woohyun go, blushing slightly. “I-I’m not a ert! I just—.”

“Woohyun do you know this guy? Should we call the cops—?”

“Sung…Sunggyu hyung.” Woohyun murmured, his eyes on Sunggyu, mystified.

“So you do know him?” One of the boys made a face.

The black shirted boy nudged one of the others, smirking. “What is he? Your lover?”

“Ew!” They all collectively squealed.

Woohyun turned to them, with an alarmed look. “W-What? That’s—.”

“Don’t come near us, or you’ll get your homo germs on us!” The boys laughed.

“Man you’re so messed up, huh?” Black shirt snorted.

Woohyun clenched his jaw. “D-Don’t—.”

“I mean you killed off your own brother even though he was way more talented than you, and now you’re a too—?”

“S-Shut up!” Woohyun cried, aiming a fist at the other boy, when Sunggyu stopped him, gripping onto Woohyun’s wrist. Woohyun turned to him with enraged, hurt eyes. “H-He’s lying! I-I didn’t kill anyone! I-It wasn’t—.”

“Ok.” Sunggyu nodded, calmly. “Just put your fist down, ok?”

Woohyun heaved a shaky breath before lowering his arm. The boys were all backing away at this point.

“You’re crazy Nam Woohyun!”

“You should have died instead of your brother!”

“Yeah! Psycho !” The yelled before taking off down the street.

Woohyun sunk down onto his knees, biting his lip to prevent the tears from falling. His fists were clenched on his thighs, as he stared angrily in the direction the boys had run off to.

“Woohyun—.”

“I-I didn’t kill him.” Woohyun muttered darkly.

Sunggyu had no idea what was going on. But he noticed the grey clouds looming in, indicating a rain shower. He put a hand on Woohyun’s shoulder. “C’mon. Get up, ok? We can talk inside.”

But Woohyun refused to move. Hot tears streamed down his cheeks, as he kept his gaze firmly forward. “I-I didn’t kill him…”

Sunggyu looked around, and no one else seemed to be paying attention anymore, too busy with getting to where they needed to be and safely inside before the rain began.

“Woohyun…” Sunggyu knelt down beside the boy. “It’s going to rain—.”

“I-I didn’t do it.” Woohyun turned to him, a blubbering mess at this point. Sunggyu realized it was the first time he saw a glimpse of realness in Woohyun. His mask had long since cracked and tore away, as his red eyes flooded with tears, and snot threatened to come out of his nose. He hastily rubbed his nose with his sleeve, sniffling.

Sunggyu could only watch. It was strange and probably not right. But he thought that Woohyun like this—ugly sobbing in the street—was a good thing.

He remembered something Mrs. Choi told him once, when he saw some people come into the shop to buy flowers for a funeral, and a lady broke into sobs.

“Sunggyu-yah, sometimes…sometimes people need to cry. And sometimes you should just let them.”

It was drizzling now, and Sunggyu sat beside Woohyun on the cracked concrete. Woohyun had his head down, sniffling quietly. He hesitantly reached out and pulled Woohyun’s cap off, causing the younger to look up.

“W-What’re you…?” Woohyun hiccupped, as Sunggyu put the cap on his own head.

“Its raining, and I don’t want to get wet.” Sunggyu replied.

Woohyun stared up at him in confusion, eyebrows furrowed, and eyes still watery and pain-stricken. Sunggyu entangled his fingers in Woohyun’s soft brown hair, pulling him towards his chest.

Woohyun instantly wrapped his arms around Sunggyu’s waist, burying his face into the older’s chest.

•••

“Silly boys.” Mrs. Choi giggled as she handed both Sunggyu and Woohyun cups of hot tea. They returned to the flower shop later that evening, soaked to the bone. Mrs. Choi had them sit down at the front counter wrapped in towels, as she put a fresh pot of tea to boil. “What were you doing out in the rain? You could have caught a cold.”

Sunggyu and Woohyun exchanged a side glance.

“My bad.” Sunggyu smiled at Mrs. Choi.

The older lady smiled at the two of them, before scurrying off to the back to fetch some snacks and more towels.

It was silent for a moment, as Sunggyu eyed Woohyun.

“…Sorry.” Woohyun mumbled into his tea cup.

“No need.” Sunggyu shrugged, shivering slightly, as he breathed in the herb scent of the tea.

Cactus suddenly hopped onto the counter, and made herself comfortable on Sunggyu’s lap. She had run away during the earlier scuffle and somehow found the shop and was waiting for them there.

“Uh…” Sunggyu gulped nervously. “W-What’s she doing?”

Woohyun smiled softly. “She likes to sit on people’s laps.”

Why isn’t she sitting on your lap then?” Sunggyu complained.

Woohyun’s smile faded, focusing his gaze on his cup. “I told you already…she only likes good people.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Sunggyu frowned. “Aren’t you her owner?”

“No.” Woohyun replied quickly. “I’m not.”

“Then who’s—?”

“She was…my brother’s.” Woohyun murmured.

Sunggyu remembered the other boys saying something about Woohyun killing his brother. He was inadvertently staring at Woohyun, and didn’t realize it until the younger sighed, and turned to him.

“I’m not a murderer, if that’s what you’re thinking.”

Sunggyu quickly shook his head. “I wasn’t!”

“My brother…he died in a car crash.” Woohyun explained. “But…everyone blames me for it.”

“What?” Sunggyu frowned. “Why?”

“Because…he was trying to find me when he died.” Woohyun said quietly, his eyes downcast. He heaved a sigh, as Sunggyu silently waited for him to continue.

“I…I hated my brother. He was good at everything. Everyone liked him better. Yeah, stupid reason to hate someone right?” He chuckled darkly. “Told you I wasn’t a good person…anyways, it was when I was fourteen…um I got this award thing from winning this local singing competition at the community center. I don’t even remember it now…but back then, I was so excited about it. It was the first thing I ever got, that was just mine. That I earned.” He turned to Sunggyu. “You know what I mean?”

“Yeah…” Sunggyu remembered when he was younger and got one of the top scores in the whole school. It was one of the proudest moments of his high school life.

“So I got home, eager to tell everyone about it, but…of course Boohyun hyung got accepted into this prestigious college, and everyone was so happy about it. I mean…how could I compete with that? I was a stupid jealous kid and ran away. I guess everyone got concerned so Boohyun hyung went out to search for me. It was dark and it was raining…and well…”

“But that’s stupid. How is what happened to him your fault?” Sunggyu frowned. “You weren’t the one driving the car…”

“Yeah, but…he was looking for me. If I hadn’t run out, he never would have gone searching for me, and he never would have got hit by that car and…” Woohyun bit his lip. “And he would be here.”

Sunggyu put his tea cup down, “Woohyun…”

“Cactus…he loved her a lot. She used to be really overweight, so he bought her this harness and walked her.” Woohyun chuckled fondly. “He took her everywhere.”

“Ah…” Sunggyu nodded. “So that’s why, you….”

“Yeah.” Woohyun smiled. “But, she doesn’t really care too much for me.”

“Maybe she has bad taste?” Sunggyu guessed. Woohyun turned to him, and actually laughed.

“What?”

“Before you said, she likes good people.” Sunggyu took a sip of his tea. “But I don’t think that’s true.”

“But I’m not a good person—.”

“Well neither am I.” Sunggyu shrugged, as he shifted with Cactus snoozing peacefully in his lap.

“What are you talking about?” Woohyun smiled. “Of course you are. You offered to help a complete stranger find his cat even though you were scared of the cat, and stood out in the rain for an hour—.”

“Ok, you’re right. I’m a great person.” Sunggyu grinned, causing Woohyun to chuckle. “But…I think you are too. A bad person wouldn’t take his deceased brother’s cat out everyday like you do.” Sunggyu stated. “A bad person wouldn’t even think of that.”

Woohyun shook his head. “Nah. You don’t really—.”

“Know you?” Sunggyu finished for him.

Woohyun nodded, averting his eyes.

“Well then,” Sunggyu leaned closer, a determined look in his eyes. “Give me a chance to.”

•••

The next afternoon, Woohyun, as promised, showed up at the shop. He found Sunggyu sitting on a stool at the front counter. Woohyun knelt down and unlatched Cactus’s leash, and the cat instantly went towards Sunggyu, hopping on the counter to greet him.

Sunggyu looked up, startled, but then he met Woohyun’s gaze and smiled. “Hey come over here. I want to show you something.”

Woohyun joined him, sitting on a stool next to Sunggyu. “What is it?” He looked at what Sunggyu was working on. There were small flowers scattered around and ribbons. Sunggyu held up what looked like a small crown made of little white and pink flowers.

“Apparently wearing flowers is a trend with girls or something.” Sunggyu shrugged. “So Mrs. Choi had me make these headbands to sell.”

“They’re pretty.” Woohyun commented.

“Glad you think so.” Sunggyu pulled Woohyun’s cap off. “Here, try it on.”

“What?” Woohyun covered his head with his hands. “Why me? I’m not a girl.”

“I just need to see if the size is right.”

“Then try it on your own head.” Woohyun frowned.

“I can’t do that.” Sunggyu rolled his eyes, pulling Woohyun’s hand away and placing the crown on his head. “If the flowers are too close to my skin, I get itchy and start sneezing like crazy.”

“Oh…” Woohyun adjusted the headband slightly. “How does it look?”

Sunggyu smiled and nodded approvingly. “It’s good.”

“Really?” Woohyun eyed him skeptically. He looked around the shop for a moment. “Are there any mirrors around? I want to see—.”

“Yah, I already told you it looks good.” Sunggyu held onto his wrists so he wouldn’t get up. “Trust me.” He smiled warmly. “It’s really cute.”

Woohyun stared at him for a moment, before smiling slightly. “Really?”

•••

Woohyun had been coming to the shop so often that it became normality—just a part of his day, and Sunggyu’s. One warm afternoon, when he stopped by, Mrs. Choi was at the counter and greeted him cheerfully.

“Morning Mrs. Choi.” Woohyun smiled. “Where’s Sunggyu hyung?”

“He’s at the back.” Mrs. Choi giggled. “I think he may have fallen asleep.”

Woohyun thanked her and headed to the back. It was mostly a storage area for the equipment needed to care for the plants. There were watering cans, seeds, small spades, scissors, and so on.

Sunggyu was sitting on a wooden bench, leaning against the wall, sleeping. Woohyun grinned as he knelt down beside him. He shot Cactus an amused look, before getting whatever he had in the bag he brought with him out.

•••

Sunggyu sniffled slightly, feeling something tickling his nose. He rubbed it, slowly opening his eyes, as something landed on his lap. It was a small pink flower.

“…What?” Sunggyu studied the flower which he realized wasn't real and was made of some sort of synthetic material. He heard a soft mewl, and looked down to see Cactus crawling out from under the bench he was sitting at. “You…if you’re here?” He ruffled his hair and more flowers fell out. He frowned, when he noticed a piece of paper taped to his chest. He peeled it off and looked at it. It was a picture of him sleeping, with the plastic flowers planted prettily all over his hair. There was a caption below the picture: The Prettiest hyung that ever lived.

“Nam Woohyun!”

“Run Cactus! He caught us!” Woohyun laughed as he bolted from his spot behind the door. Cactus merely strolled into the front and joined Mrs. Choi at the front counter. And the two watched, with Mrs. Choi smiling fondly as Sunggyu chased Woohyun around the store and down the street.

Woohyun eventually let himself get caught after five minutes, seeing as how Sunggyu was out of breath.

“Why would you do that?” Sunggyu berated, gripping onto Woohyun’s arm as a support.

“I thought you looked pretty hyung.” Woohyun chuckled.

“Is this revenge for making you try on the flower crown before?” Sunggyu sighed.

“No, I really just thought it would be fun.” Woohyun shrugged. “And since you said you would be sneezing and stuff, I used fake flowers.” He explained as he reached out, plucking a white flower from Sunggyu’s hair, and sticking it behind his own ear. “Look. Now we match.”

Sunggyu snorted, though he was smiling. “I can’t believe you took a picture.”

Woohyun grinned. “That was Mrs. Choi’s idea.”

•••

“What’re you doing?” Woohyun joined Sunggyu at the front counter one afternoon. Sunggyu was flipping through a light green journal. “Writing in your diary?”

“No.” Sunggyu rolled his eyes. “This...it’s a flower journal.”

“Because that’s so much better than a diary.” Woohyun joked.

Sunggyu shoved him playfully, before going on to explain about how he and Mrs. Choi had come to concoct meanings for different flower colors and types.

“It’s weird…” Woohyun studied a page of the flower journal. “Why do you work here? You don’t really seem to like flowers…or do you?”

“Mm…well I mean I like them just fine.” Sunggyu shrugged.

“Yeah, but do you ever give flowers?”

“Sometimes to my mom…”

“What about your girlfriend?” Woohyun grinned. “Girls like to get flowers.”

Sunggyu turned a page of the journal silently, before glancing at Woohyun. “What about you?”

“Hm?”

“Do you…give flowers to people?”

“Sure. I always give flowers to my girlfriend.”

“Oh.” Sunggyu felt a stab at that. “Girlfriend…” He muttered.

“Well I mean if I had one.” Woohyun sighed dramatically. “But I’m currently taking the solo train. I’m so lonely!” He joked. “Hyung, you should set me up. You probably know a lot of pretty older girls.”

“Older girls?” Sunggyu frowned.

“Yeah…” Woohyun rubbed the back of his sheepishly, eyeing Sunggyu, as if attempting to get something out of him. “Apparently, I always seem to go for someone older.”

Sunggyu stared at him for a moment, one hand on the counter, murmuring to himself. “Older…”

“What about you?” Woohyun leaned his elbow on the counter, turning to Sunggyu. “Do you...?” He paused, sort of losing his breath when he saw the way Sunggyu was looking at him so intently. He suddenly felt . And when Sunggyu reached out a hand to touch his cheek, a wave of panic washed over him. “I-I have to go.”

“What?” Sunggyu stood up as well. “Why? You just got here.”

“I-I forgot I have to…to do something.” Woohyun muttered, as he grabbed Cactus’s leash. But the cat was no where to be found. “Cactus? C’mon, we’re leaving.”

“Wait.” Sunggyu gripped onto his arm. “What’s wrong? Why are you so suddenly—?”

“I can’t…keep coming here.” Woohyun murmured, refusing to meet Sunggyu’s eyes.

Sunggyu stared at him, obviously concerned. “Woohyun, did I do something…?”

“Yes.” Woohyun turned to him, with a pained expression, as he swallowed. “Y-You scare me.” Sunggyu opened his mouth to respond, but Woohyun beat him to it. “It wasn’t supposed to be like this…I should have just stuck to watching from afar.”

“What are you saying?” Sunggyu frowned, tugging on the boy’s arm. “I…I don’t understand—.”

“P-Please let me go.” Woohyun breathed. “I’m feeling really overwhelmed right now.”

Sunggyu immediately removed his hand, watching him sadly. “Woohyun, I…”

Woohyun finally found Cactus and strapped her leash on, before sending Sunggyu one last longing glance. “See?” He smiled bitterly. “Told you, I’m not a good person.”

•••

“Where’s Woohyun today?” Mrs. Choi asked, as she trimmed some roses for a bouquet.

“I don’t know.” Sunggyu murmured, his back to the older woman. He finished watering the potted plants by the window, and sighed. He placed the watering can down, and stared out the window, with an empty expression. “He probably…won’t come back here.”

Mrs. Choi put her scissors down, smiling softly. “Maybe you should go look for him.”

Sunggyu turned to her. “Why? He’s the one who—.”

“I don’t think that’s what he really wanted.”

Sunggyu bit his lip, looking down. “I don’t know….I mean I thought I knew him. But he’s just so…confusing.”

“But, is he though?” Mrs. Choi stepped back to observe her work on the rose stems.

Sunggyu eyed her for a moment, before thinking to himself.

“He said...I scare him. Maybe…because I saw him without his mask?” He recalled that over the past week, he saw no traces of Woohyun’s mask, at least when they were together. “Maybe I was the only one…Maybe that’s what scared him.” He glanced at Mrs. Choi who was nodding, her eyes closed. It was like she knew. She understood.

Sunggyu smiled, though he still had no idea what he was going to do. He didn’t even know where to start looking for Woohyun. Suddenly the store’s bell dinged, and the door opened. They both turned to the entrance, but no one was there. Sunggyu curiously stepped towards the door, to see Cactus pass him by.

“Cactus?” Sunggyu blinked. “Then, that means…” He spotted a retreating figure outside. He hastily charged through the door, to see Woohyun’s back as the boy headed down the sidewalk. “Woohyun!” He called, startling Woohyun, enough to slowly turn, just as he caught up to him.

“I-I wasn’t going to come. This was a bad idea.” Woohyun rambled on. “But Cactus kept complaining about wanting to see you, and it was getting annoying, so I just—.” Woohyun heaved a sigh, as Sunggyu merely smiled.

“It’s ok. I get it.” Sunggyu grinned. “I know that cat can’t resist me.”

Woohyun looked up and he felt completely and utterly raw. He was biting his lip nervously, and his forehead was creased, and he was probably sweating. Sunggyu noticed Woohyun holding what looked like a very messily put together bouquet in his hands.

“What’s that?” He asked.

Woohyun immediately shoved the flowers behind his back, before hesitantly bringing them into view again. “I…I’m scared. But I still, I still want to be with you.” He shoved the flowers towards Sunggyu. “Is…is that ok?”

Sunggyu blinked for a moment. He noticed that in the bouquet were dandelions, the pink and white flowers Sunggyu had used to make the headbands, and fake flowers similar to the ones Woohyun had put in his hair.

He smiled. “This is the ugliest bouquet I’ve ever seen.”

Woohyun looked up, and upon seeing Sunggyu’s smile, his eyes lit up.

“Do you like it?”

At that moment, Sunggyu realized that maybe it didn’t matter if he didn’t understand the beauty of flowers or what they’re supposed to make him feel. Maybe it was enough to understand the beauty of the person giving them.

He took the bouquet from Woohyun with a warm smile.

“I love it.”