Building Bridges

The Missing Piece

Hyoyeon took the luxury of waking up first and going grocery shopping with Sunny. They took on the responsibility of being the mothers of the group. They didn’t even bother trying to wake up Yuri or Sooyoung to ask if they wanted to tag along. Sunny knew that they wouldn’t budge and the two knew exactly what kind of food the others wanted.

 

Of course they already had a fair amount of food in their supplies. After all, how could they have eaten the night before? But breakfast foods were always best when they were fresh, and fruits and vegetables from the islands were said to taste much better.

 

Sunny was the first one out the door. She rubbed her eyes and yawned as she waited for Hyoyeon to finish looking for her wallet. Turning her head, she could see the sea shore only a few metres away. They couldn’t see it that clearly the night before, but now in the dawn’s light it looked breathtaking.

 

Something else caught her eyes as she saw moving figured in the distance. It looked like their neighbours were up too.

 

“Must be busy people,” Sunny muttered to herself as she watched Jessica and Tiffany run around their property. Maybe it was an important day? It was only 6 in the morning and they were already so active.

 

“I wonder what part of Korea they’re from,” Hyoyeon’s voice broke the air this time. Sunny almost fell over in surprise and Hyoyeon just burst into laughter. “Sorry Sunny, I didn’t mean to startle you.”

 

Sunny punched the other girl in just revenge, “Should we go over and greet them?”

 

“They look busy, we probably shouldn’t,” Hyoyeon responded as she grabbed Sunny’s hand into her own.

 

Tiffany however felt eyes on her and raised her head. She smiled immediately upon seeing the two blonde girls in the distance. She just waved before going back to what she was doing.

 

Sunny and Hyoyeon smiled and waved back, “Maybe we can ask them over for dinner or something.” They needed to reconcile for the previous night.

 

---

 

Sooyoung hated the smell of feet. There weren’t that many people on earth who enjoyed the scent exactly, but Sooyoung absolutely detested the smell. It only meant one thing.

 

“Yuri-ah, get your damn feet off my face.” Her words were slurred and drawn out, but they were comprehensible. She didn’t even open her eyes, but she knew exactly whose feet were invading her personal sleeping space. This has happened too many times. It was the perks of having Yuri as her roommate throughout the entirety of her college career.

 

“Sorry,” the other girl murmured, only proceeding to kick Sooyoung’s face in a feeble attempt to remove her feet.

 

“God dammit Yuri!” Sooyoung screamed this time, shooting up immediately from her sleeping position. Enough was enough. Gathering all of her strength, Sooyoung pushed the hunk of muscle off her bed before resting her head back down on her pillow.

 

“Yes, this is good,” she mumbled to herself as she pulled the blanket over her lengthy body. Finally, she could go back to sleep.

But then the door slammed open.

 

“Rise and shine you lazy butts!” Sunny cried out as she skipped joyfully to the windows to pull the curtains away. Streams of sunlight greeted the two sleeping girls a beautiful good morning.

 

“Who said this was okay?!” Sooyoung hissed, pulling the sheets over her face in a desperate attempt to block out the sunlight.

 

“Why is Yuri on the floor?” Sunny asked, crouching over to shake the sleeping figure sprawled out on the floor. It must have been uncomfortable, but the girl didn’t bother to move back into bed.

 

“She was being a bad girl,” Sooyoung replied, turning over still trying to dodge the light. Why didn’t she think of turning away in the first place?

 

“Come on you two, it’s 10AM already.” Sunny didn’t want to bother with the two anymore and heaved a sigh, “We got food, but we didn’t feel like cooking. Hyoyeon wanted to try out this nearby diner instead. Let’s go eat, yeah?” She left the room, knowing that they would soon follow after.

 

At the word ‘eat’, Sooyoung decided that it was time to get up. Within minutes, she changed from her PJs to a loose shirt and a pair of jean shorts. She stretched and let out a loud yawn. was big enough to fit her fist in.

 

“Yuri, get up,” she demanded, walking over to the girl still lying on the ground. With a powerful kick, she finally received a response from the sleeping girl.

 

“Okay, okay!” Yuri groaned, holding her stomach as she writhed in false pain. She made a mental note to try to stop turning over in her sleep.

 

As she got up, the pain of hitting the floor began to hit but she easily stretched it out. Yuri was used to the abuse, having woken up on the floor countless times in the past.

 

Once all four were ready, they left the house and Hyoyeon locked the door. Yuri glanced over to see if their neighbours were up.

 

“They left somewhere about an hour ago,” Hyoyeon answered Yuri’s aching question and put a hand on her shoulder. “Yeah, she’s cute but from what we heard last night she hates you.”

 

“W-What?” Yuri spat, suddenly flustered at Hyoyeon’s comment.

 

“Let’s go guys, I’m starving,” Sooyoung complained, pounding her fists impatiently into Sunny’s head. She often used Sunny as her punching bag, the girl being an easy target with her height. Sunny was immune by now however and just nodded at Sooyoung’s request.

 

“Come on, come on, let’s go before Sooyoung dies on us.”

 

---

 

The diner definitely had a friendly feel to it. The four girls noticed the Korean flag on the door and almost began dancing in relief. They didn’t want to reveal their weak English to the world just yet.

 

Hyoyeon was the first to enter and the waitress pointed her to a booth on the left. There were a few patrons scattered across of the place. They had the feeling of regulars, quietly drinking their coffee and reading the morning paper.

 

The four girls shuffled into their seats quickly and opened up their menus in excitement.

 

“Ah yes breakfast, my favourite meal of the day,” Sooyoung hummed, bouncing in her seat at the sight of the variety of meals before her.

 

“Every meal is your favourite,” Yuri deadpanned, still not entirely awake.

 

A tall and not to mention lively young waitress walked over to the group and smiled at them, “Good morning! Are you guys on vacation?”

 

Hyoyeon nodded, “Yeah! For the whole month actually.”

 

“Only a month? That’s too bad,” the waitress replied with a sad shake of her head, “Hyunnie and I permanently moved here about five years ago. You guys should think about doing that too. We opened up this diner and business has been booming.”

 

“Hyunnie?” Sunny asked, smiling at the cute sounding name.

 

“Ah, my wife over there,” the waitress responded sweetly, pointing over at the girl whose head was the only feature that could be seen. She was busy working away in the kitchen. “Her name is Seohyun.”

 

“And your name is?” Sooyoung asked, chuckling at the fact that the waitress failed to introduce herself first. Even though her nametag clearly read ‘Yoona’, it was only customary that the worker introduced herself officially.

 

“Ah, I’m sorry! I’m Yoona, nice to meet you four! Have you decided what to order?” she gave the girls a wide toothy grin. She had definitely been in the business for a long time, her presence just oozed with a welcoming warmth.

 

As the four waited for their food, something caught Sooyoung’s eye. Only two tables away, she watched as a single patron built a house out of her waffles. It seemed like a weird activity to Sooyoung, but she concluded that the girl was going to eat her waffles when she was done. The girl looked so focused on her task, her tongue sticking out a little as she tried to insert what looked like the door to the house.

 

She knew she was staring, but she couldn’t help herself. There was something about the girl building a house out of waffles that had drawn her eyes in. Her face screamed innocence and she looked almost like a little kid. Her eyes were big and they sparkled under the sunlight that was seeping from the blinds next to her. She couldn’t be older than Sooyoung and she prayed that she wasn’t younger than 20.

 

As if under a spell, Sooyoung grabbed a toothpick, stood up and began to walk over to the lonely looking girl. She drowned out Sunny’s calls for her and the three girls just stared as their friend left their table suddenly.

 

“This is going to be interesting,” Hyoyeon said as a smile graced her features. She hopped on her knees and latched herself onto Sunny as they watched in anticipation.

 

Confidently, Sooyoung stuck a toothpick into the waffle house. She pushed and pulled on the little waffle piece that was now a well-functioning door. The tall girl grinned widely at the now astonished girl before her.

 

“Ah!” she almost screamed in surprise and delight. She clapped her hands together and looked up at Sooyoung.

 

“That should do it,” Sooyoung said with a proud laugh, “Am I your savior or what?”

 

Sooyoung was almost startled at what came next. The girl threw her head back and laughed unconventionally at Sooyoung’s remark. It was a loud and strange sounding laugh, but Sooyoung decided that she loved it. “Thank you,” the girl replied after calming down.

 

Sooyoung’s smile never left her face as she felt her confidence just continue to sky rocket, “Mind if I sit with you?” Her eyes showed a glint of hopefulness and the girl just continued to giggle.

 

“You sure your friends don’t mind?” she asked, turning to the three heads that were watching them from afar.

 

Hyoyeon, Sunny and Yuri quickled turned their heads away from the girl after getting caught. Their laughter didn't go unnoticed however.

 

“They don’t mind at all,” Sooyoung spoke up through gritted teeth, turning to shoot a glare at her eavesdropping friends. “Right, guys?”

 

“Did you hear something?” Sunny said loud enough for the two to hear. The strange girl just laughed again.

 

“I’m Sooyoung,” she reached her hand out and gave the other girl her most dashing smile.

 

“Taeyeon,” she responded, happily taking Sooyoung’s hand and shaking it.

 

Her hand felt small and delicate in Sooyoung’s hand. It took all of her energy to not squeeze it affectionately right there and then. She felt something tug on her heart then and there. Taeyeon was going to be an interesting part of her month long stay, she was sure of it.