Chapter 5

Wildfire

"Are you hungry?  I remember being insanely hungry.  I think Daimen just finished cooking something."   She said as she stood.  The place on his thighs where she had been t ftouching felt cool and Jongdae felt the panic crawl back in.  He reached out grabbing her wrist and was shot a look of confusion and annoyance.

"Please.  It feels better when we're touching."  

"Jongdae…" it came out softly and she loosened her wrist from his grasp, "You have to face this.  I'm going to get you something to eat and we can talk when I get back.  Okay?"  She phrased it as a question but Jongdae knew that he didn't really have a choice.  Without another word Kora was out of the room and the silence settled around him. A soft rap came from the door and a voice asked if she was gone.  The overwhelming need for company won over his urge to obey Kora's direction and he ushered the voice inside.  Daimen's eyes scanned the room and he asked where she went.  Jongdae couldn't believe this was the same guy who had walked around the SM building like he'd owned it.

"She went to get food"

"Hmm then she may take a bit, there wasn't any meat in the kitchen when I looked."  At the mention of meat Jongdae perked up, he really was insanely hungry and meat sounded fantastic.   Daimen settled onto the floor next to him and rested a hand on his knee. "She's not very good with people, too many bad experiences, but she wants this to be as easy as possible for you.  It may not always seem like it, and sometimes she'll be rough but she does have your best interests in mind."  Daimen looked exhausted, his eyes red but the warmth from his hand gave him comfort.  

"Yeah I can tell."  And Jongdae meant it.  He saw the conflict in her eyes when he asked Kora to stay.  The touching moment was ruined when Jongdae's stomach unleashed a slew of beastly noises.  They laughed as the tension in the room eased and Daimen made his way for the door.

"Sorry buddy but I don't want her catching me in here when she gets back which should be soon." He paused before leaving and looked back, "Let me know if there is anything I can do, this pretty much makes us family." Jongdae could see Daimen's face redden with that embarrassing statement but it was true.

He gave him his biggest grin, "Sure hyung" and Daimen slipped out the door.  Jongdae didn't have to wait long before Kora returned, arm full of groceries.  

"Wow that's a lot…"

She laughed setting the groceries down "No actually this is one lunch for the both of us." Jongdae looked shocked, "Don't worry.  You're appetite will calm down after your body settles."  She started unpacking the groceries on a small table Minseok kept in their room.  One after another Kora pulled out packages of meat and his anxiety was easily taken over by his hunger.

"Go ahead and help yourself.  I wasn't sure what you'd like so I got a little of everything."

He reached for the meat and paused, "But it's not cooked"

She leaned across the table, whispering behind her hand "Trust me.  It tastes better this way."  Smiling she straightened back up "What's your favorite meat?"

"Pork belly"

"Good choice!"  Kora fished through the packages looking like a predator chasing down its prey.  With a triumphant "A ha!" she set it down in front of Jongdae.  Smoothing down the butcher's paper she revealed six slabs of pork belly.  She stared at him expectantly and her grin spread even farther as he reached for the first piece.  He really didn't want to eat the raw meat but his hunger won out and he swallowed the piece whole.  It was fatty, and juicy, and absolutely delicious.  Without thinking he grabbed another piece this time remembering to chew.  Her grin slipped and Kora looked like a starved animal watching him inhale the pork belly.     She opened a few more packages before joining Jongdae in the complete destruction of the meat.  Luckily none of the other members came into the room or they would have been disturbed to see the two of them looking like rabid animals.  After some time the room was littered with butcher's paper and smelled like the meat department at a market, but the two of them sat back relaxed and content as kittens.  

Jongdae stretched and let out a languid yawn and Kora piped up from the other side of the room, "Take a nap, I'll wake you up when it's time to go."

Jongdae sank into the floor, curling into the clothes still strewn about.

"Where are we going?" eyelids heavy he started drifting asleep.

"Well there is a wooded area close by I was thinking…"  

 

"Jongdae, it's going to be dark soon.  You should wake up so we can get going."  Kora shook the sleeping boy trying to wake him up.  He looked so peaceful that she almost wanted to just let him sleep but it would be harder on him the longer they waited.  Before she could change her mind she gave him one last shove, effectively waking Jongdae and anyone else up when he let out a loud yelp.

Kora crouched down and clapped her hands together "Rise and Shine!  Welcome back to the land of the living."

Jongdae let out a groan when he looked out the window and saw the sun had already started to set.  "How long was I asleep?"

He picked himself off of the floor gingerly no wanting a repeat of this morning's event.  This time he moved comfortably and without any problems.  He could feel Kora eyeing him suspiciously.

"Problems?" she asked.

"This morning my body, it worked differently.  That's how this happened."  He motioned to the terrorized room.

"Better now?"

"Yeah." He flexed his hand, swinging his arm across his body, "I think I've got better control now."  He grinned across the room at her. That grin was going to cause her problems.  

That grin said "its fine" and "I'm okay" but she knew that grin.  That grin meant "I'm done with this conversation, let's move on now."  It was an odd feeling seeing the grin she had used so often before, used on herself.  Kora wanted to question him further but stopped when she saw his face contort in discomfort.  His hands moved wildly as they chased an itch that burned along his body.

"Kora, it itches really bad."

"That's just the start of the change, don't worry.  The guys are all at practice and Daimen's got you covered.  I found a wooded area close by so let's go."  The itching was severe but it was hard not to be infected by Kora's obvious excitement.  

"What's going to happen?"

"Come on, you'll see for yourself."  She dragged him out of the bedroom and out of the house.  Immediately after stepping outside he was hit with all of the smells and sounds of the night.  It was still intense but was much easier to handle then this morning had been.  The warmth from Kora's hand that he was still holding might have helped too.

They walked quickly through the neighborhood in silence.  Kora led the way and after a while reached the opening to the woods.  Pulling Jongdae she continued through the dense trees.

She turned to him and for the first time looked apprehensive. "Okay, I'm not entirely sure how to start your change.  Mine was kind of in a fit of rage so yeah that didn't really go well."  It had been easy to ignore the itch with all of the distractions during the walk over but now it was starting to be painful.

"Maybe you should change first?" he suggested.

"Good idea."

Kora stood there and seemingly shook off her human form becoming a beautiful reddish-brown wolf with silver flecked across her back.

He smiled when he saw her eyes were the same golden color.  She shifted her weight between her front legs in obvious anticipation.  Jongdae felt something building inside, the painful itch spread and he could feel everything shifting.  He dropped to his knees and felt Kora kneel beside him back in human form.

"It'll only hurt until you change.  Don't fight it Jongdae, just let it happen."

His head was full of the sounds his body made; bones cracked and popped, muscles tearing and flesh stretching.  His insides shifted and moved while his skin prickled, making way for hair.  His eyes stung and he squeezed them shut trying to find relief.  When he finally opened them he saw Kora still in human form staring wide eyed.

"Wow Jongdae.  You are gorgeous!" he might have blushed but she wasn't sure.  Jongdae seemed like he was trying to stand and she intervened "Whoa!  You shifted Jongdae. You're in your wolf form right now."  The wolf cocked its head to one side and Kora laughed.  Just as quickly as the pain had come on, it subsided.  Jongdae looked down to see two black paws instead of feet and a shiver ran along his spine.  

"Try to walk.  It'll be weird at first but it'll come naturally."  He did what he thought would be a nod and took a few experimental steps towards Kora.  They were stiff and awkward but he didn't fall.  Walking on four legs instead of two was definitely something he'd have to get used to.

Kora stifled more laughter as she watched Jongdae slowly pad around.  The sun was gone and the cool night spread through the woods.  It smelled so much better surrounded by trees and Kora inhaled deeply.  It had been too long since the last time she had gone for a run.  Her patience ran out and she quickly shifted, leaping over the new wolf she ran farther into the woods.  She let out a deep howl hoping he'd know that meant to follow.  By the sound of something crashing through the leaves she knew that Jongdae was right behind her.  This was his first run and when she had found this place earlier in the day she had mapped out an easy trail.  But planning something in human form and doing something in wolf form were very different things.  Her instincts took over and lead her into denser trees.

Acting without thinking went against everything he had learned.  Years of conditioning himself easily disappeared as soon as Kora ran ahead of him.   He felt the need to run course through his body and all thoughts quieted down.  For this he didn't need to think, he didn't have to practice answers or plan out facial expressions.   He just ran.

Kora's tail flashed in front of him and instantly he reached out and grabbed a hold of it with his teeth.  It wasn't terribly painful but it was enough for her to yelp and slow her pace.  Seeing the opportunity Jongdae sped past.  It was his turn now, Jongdae howled deep and strong challenging her to take the lead back. He resisted the urge to look back and see what kind of face she was making.    The shock must not have lasted long since she had easily caught up to him.

His lungs filled with the crisp night air as he pounded through the woods.    The slow burn spread through his muscles as he urged his new body to go faster.  He felt like lightning streaking through the sky as he darted through the trees.  All night they ran, jumped and played until the moon hung low in the sky.  The exhaustion seeped through their bones and muscles and they curled into the soft earth and slept.   

Morning came and the noises of the night made way for those of the day.  Jongdae's body was sore but the dull pain felt good and he wanted to stretch out and enjoy the burn.  Something stopped him from moving very far, it was Kora whose body was entangled with his own.  She moved in her sleep and her scent swam in his head.  It was especially strong after running the entire night, it wasn't a good smell like flowers or baked goods but it was comforting and sensual.  His heart started pounding and everywhere their bodies touched burned.  This intense desire to touch her swallowed all other thoughts.  She stretched as she woke, a sigh sneaking past her lips.  It took every ounce of self control to stop himself from attacking her.  That is what it would be, an attack.  His lips and tongue would assault hers, his hips would crush hers, his hands and fingers would…

Kora shoved him away, and hopped into a crouch one leg extended and ready.  Anger lit her eyes.

"Kora I'm…"

"Don't talk.  Just breathe."  His head pounded as hard as his heart, he shut his eyes and inhaled.  Hands dug into the cold ground and the smell of fresh dirt overpowered Kora's intoxicating scent.  The shallow breaths became strong and deep, finally he trusted himself enough to open his eyes.  Kora sat cross legged close enough to reach out and touch, she smiled.

"Don't apologize, I knew that would happen and I should have been more careful.  I'm sorry I got angry at you.  I don't like being looked at like that."

"But Kora I was about to do something awful to you."  

"Seriously it's fine.  I know how to fight and I'm stronger then you anyways.  If you had I would've just beat you raw."  Her grin widened.  It was actually kind of insulting how unafraid of him she was.  She had looked angry but not scared or frightened.

"Was it the same for you?" he blurted out.

"Of course, but it's much easier for me.  I don't feel a need to pounce just the need to be pounced."  His face went straight to scarlet skipping past pink and tomato, here he was guilty about his almost attempted ual assault and she was making inappropriate jokes.  "Jongdae don't be so hard on yourself, our instincts are a lot stronger and you know what the strongest instinct is?" he swallowed hard and shook his head.  She stood and extended her hand to help him up.

"To live, and that's true for every living creature." Once he was standing they headed for home.  

"But the second strongest instinct is to procreate, but no worries you'll get used to your increased ual appetite."   Kora laughed loudly as Jongdae tripped behind her.  Who knew a boy could get that red.