Chapter 2

Wildfire

Jongdae could feel warm hands cup his face.  Softly the intense pain that had engulfed his senses subsided.  The hands moved away and he was able to regain consciousness somewhat.  He tried to open his eyes but all he could see was darkness.  A rustling noise moved towards him. 

“Don’t try moving.  You are seriously injured.  The next few moments are critical to your survival.”  The voice sounded harsh but had a somewhat lyrical undertone.  It demanded that it be taken seriously and Jongdae couldn’t help but be calmed by it.  He tried to make some sort of acknowledgment but his body wouldn’t comply.

The voice continued “I will explain everything to you if you survive but I need to make sure that happens first.  Before I do anything I want this to be your choice.  I can start this but it will be up to your strength and your will to live. “    The voice paused, “Your life from this moment on will be very difficult.  You will no longer be human.  You’ll be a constant outsider never truly belonging.  You’ll have to either lie to your loved ones or risk their rejection.  It will be a constant struggle to control the animal side of you.  Jongdae tonight you will die and an entirely different Jongdae will be born.  Tonight you can die a human or be reborn as a monster.”  There was this sense of sadness at the end and it made his heart ache.  The words shouldn’t have made sense; he should feel scared and confused.  But he didn’t, calmly he thought about tonight having been his last.  There was so much more he wanted to do, so many things to work harder at, and so many words he still needed to say.  He thought of all the people his voice had reached and how many it hadn’t.  No he was not ready to die.  The warm hands lightly touched his face again.   He could feel a body press up against his.  It was soft but very strong and he could feel the body heat radiate through him.  Another wave of pain hit before subsiding completely.  He heard a sharp gasp before opening his eyes.  A few small rays of moonlight escaped past the blinds highlighting familiar furniture.  The body stayed pressed to him and he could feel hair in his face.   He took a deep breath, inhaling the musky scent.  Hair had to be connected to a head and using the last of his strength he tried finding an ear.

“I won’t die tonight” The body stepped away and immediately the pain overcame him again.  Everything was back into darkness.  

He felt light and it seemed as if he was inside of some other room.  Although he could still feel the pain he was now able to stand.  Jongdae could hear this guttural growling coming from the darkness in front of him.  It had started and now he had to fight but he knew he was stronger than this and that he would survive and see his family, his brothers, again.  It moved breaking the stillness and attacked him.  Sharp claws dug into his torso quickly ripping him open.  The air was heavy with the scent of his own blood mingling with the odd earthy scent coming off of the beast.  He could feel the heat of its breath as it bit and tore his body.  The urge to fight the creature off was strong but somehow he knew that this was necessary.  Time seemed to slow as he lay there allowing this agonizing pain to envelope him.  Jongdae tried to focus on the creature but could only see its amber eyes shine out of the darkness.  Finally it stopped and a dim light slowly crept through the space.  Now he could see and got a very good look at the monster.  It was a wolf, with amber eyes and a smoky gray coat with black markings.  It stood across from him, still but ready to strike.  His hand instinctively went to his wounds but he was startled when he looked down to see they were healing exceptionally fast. What little of his shirt remained was weighed down with his blood.  The need to attack crept through his body and in one quick movement he ripped his shirt off and lunged for the wolf.  It tried to dodge but Jongdae was too quick, his instincts completely taking over.  With movements he could barely even keep track of he grabbed the wolf by the throat with one hand and used the other to pull its back leg out from under it. With one swift move he had it was on its stomach and before he could think he started thrashing into the animal.  All of the smells started to mingle in the air forming a single coherent scent.  Although he didn’t know why or how, he knew that this new scent belonged to him.  Pausing in his destruction of the wolf he inhaled deeply picking out the different notes; the musk from the animal, the sharp copper scent of their combined blood, and the tang of his own sweat.  He looked down at the wolf that had since stopped fighting back and was healing as quickly as Jongdae had.  It crawled on its belly getting closer to him but this wasn’t a second attack, this was its submission.  Nosing Jongdae’s hand open it put its muzzle inside.  Staring into the animals eyes he felt a wave of familiarity but they were different now, they were calmer, more human then animal.  Exhaustion hit him and he knelt down settling into the animal.  He laughed regardless of his exhaustion, here he was about to sleep with the thing that had been ripping into his body moments ago.  Curling into one another he and the wolf fell asleep.

“This is ridiculous guys it’s almost 2 in the morning!”  Luhan said trying to rub the sleep from his eyes.  The boys had split up trying to wake the rest of the group up which was not working out very well.  Chanyeol had been successful with Luhan and Minseok who were easily worried by the agitated tone the younger boy used.  Once he was fully awake Luhan took in the full scene.  A tense Joonmyun stood whispering with Kris and it looked like Daimen, one of the producers, was with them.

“What are you doing here Daimen?” Minseok asked the three but was ignored.  Minseok turned to Luhan hoping that he’d have a better grasp on the situation but he could tell by his frown that he did not.  The floors above creaked and shuffling could be heard as the rest of the group made their way downstairs.   Jongin and Sehun came jumping down the stairs while Yixing and Kyungsoo followed less enthusiastically.  Tao and Baekhyun lead the way into the sitting area and Chanyeol pushed from the rear finally getting them all situated.

After sitting down in between Luhan and Yixing, Minseok noticing an absence  asked “Where’s Jongdae?”  The leaders looked to Daimen for an answer.  Joonmyun and Kris took seats while Daimen stayed standing in the center.

“He’s next door with a family friend of mine.  There are some things I need to tell you.  I’d like for you to just listen and I’ll answer questions when I’m finished.”  The new additions looked confused while the others looked impatient.

Jongin shifted in his seat “What’s going on hyung?” he directed his question at Joonmyun.  The boys looked to their leader.  Joonmyun looked to Daimen again who nodded his head.

“Jongdae was attacked on the way home.”  The tension broke and everyone started talking at once.

Minseok shot up yelling to be heard “Is he alright?”  His outburst silenced the others, Minseok wasn’t one to shout.  Daimen walked over to the window, snapping it open quickly.  Pushing out his chest he took a deep breath and let loose a throaty howl.  A collective tremor ran through the group.  After a short pause an imposing howl came through in return.

“He’s alive.”  The boys looked to the man who had always come off as fun and slightly mischievous but now was severe and on edge.  Daimen moved back to his spot in the center.

“Let him talk, just listen.”  Kris said, receiving slow nods from the group in confirmation.

“When presenting the wolf concept to SM and you guys, many of you asked how I came up with it.  The truth is I didn’t come up with it.  I borrowed it from my family’s history using things from my own life to portray this new and unique twist on werewolves.”  You could see all of the different emotions on all of their faces; anger, disbelief, confusion, fear…Daimen continued explaining “Werewolves do not exist but there is a species that is very similar.  They…We are called Lycanthropes not human but not quite animal.”  He paused again taking a deep breath. “Sorry I’ve never had to explain this before.  We’re like a step between if that makes sense.  We aren’t monsters though we don’t have this insatiable blood lust for humans.  Ugh!  This isn’t coming out right, can I just show you?”  The boys that hadn’t been there tonight looked confused and scared but the rest showed anticipation mixed with their fear.  They had sensed that unexplainable feeling in the park and at the dorm.  Kris and Joonmyun looked to each other; this needed to be handled extremely careful.

Kris spoke first “What exactly are you going to show us?”

“My other self, my wolf counterpart but you don’t need to be scared it’s still me.  I’ll only be different physically.” Daimen loosened his tie timidly.

Joonmyun addressed the group “I know this sounds crazy but we just need everyone to see for themselves.  I have a feeling there is so much more we need to discuss tonight.”  They all still looked apprehensive but now the leaders had spoken.

“It is very important to remember that it’s still me so please don’t hurt me.  Umm Joonmyun do you think you could come over here.”  Daimen looked scared, his eye’s full of apprehension.  Joonmyun leaned in so the older man could whisper.

“I want to prove that there is nothing to be scared of so will you just pet me or something.  I think that if you aren’t scared they won’t be either.”  Joonmyun could only nod.  Anticipation and fear started broiling in his stomach.  It was just like the feeling you get right before an amusement park ride. 

He stepped away and Daimen took a deep breath “Here goes nothing”

There was this static in the air and the group stared as the man in front of them shifted from human to wolf.  The animal backed up a little bit obviously scared.  It was a medium sized wolf, not small but not imposing with a chestnut coat.  Joonmyun stared on in awe until he noticed the animal pleading with his eyes.  Kneeling down he reached out his hand and the wolf immediately pushed into it.  He began to running his fingers through the soft coat and the wolf thumped his tail.  Kris laughed from behind them before making his way over.

“Wah, Daimen who knew you’d like to be petted?”  He glanced back at the boys who were still reeling from the shock.  “Well? What are you waiting for?  Tao weren’t you the one who wanted to pet the wolves at the zoo?”  Hearing that seemed to bring Tao out of his daze, he moved from the couch towards the three.  The wolf seemed to shrink back as Tao came closer. 

“I won’t hurt you Daimen, but can I pet you too?”  In answer the wolf scooted closer to Tao who gently touched his ears.  “So soft!  Sehun come see how soft he is!”  Kris and Joonmyun stepped back to make way for the rest who were slowly inching forward.  The boys took turns petting and scratching the wolf, which seemed to thoroughly enjoy all the attention.

It was Minseok that interrupted the petting zoo “So what does all this have to do with Jongdae?”  Daimen turned back into his human form, scaring Jongin onto his which got a laugh out of the group.

“I’m not sure exactly but if I had to guess someone wanted to make a point.  They saw Jongdae alone and utilized the opportunity.”  Daimen straightened his tie obviously trying to regain his manly composure.

“Who?” Luhan asked “Who would try to kill one of us?”

“Like I said I don’t know but I’m sure it was a lycanthrope based on the wounds and the surrounding area.  Luckily I was with your manager when he got the call from the driver that he had a flat and was running late to pick you guys up.  It felt off so I decided to come check it out.  I know that this is a lot to take in but…” Daimen was interrupted by a loud crashing noise coming in through the window.  It was quickly followed muffled screaming and more banging. 

Joonmyun jumped up at the noise, “Were going over there now.”

Daimen tried to stop him, “You can’t!  If you interrupt he could die.”

Minseok followed him “It sure sounds like he’s dying now.”  He said staring down Daimen.  Kris and the others joined and Joonmyun lead the way over to the other dorm. 

Daimen pulled ahead, “At least let me go first.”  The cool night air was giving way to a warm sunrise and soon it would be day break.  They made their way into the dorm and stopped in front of Jongdae’s door.  Minseok reached for the doorknob to the bedroom he and Jongdae shared but Daimen stepped in front of him.

“We shouldn’t do this.  I’m not sure what we’ll find or if it’s even finished. “Minseok nudged past him, he tried opening the door but it wouldn’t open.  He shoved hard but the door wouldn’t budge.

“I think its jammed shut” Minseok said.

Sehun who was standing at the edge of the group turned.

“Hey do you guys hear that? He asked.

“It sounds like the shower’s running.  Maybe it’s Jongdae!” Kyungsoo said.  Joonmyun and Minseok pushed ahead towards the bathroom.  Running water could clearly be heard now; someone was definitely in the shower.  They heard the water stop and stood waiting to see who would come out.  The door opened and steam rolled out of the bathroom. 

“Jongdae are you…?” Luhan started to ask but stopped.  A girl wearing only a towel stepped through the doorway and peered at the boys through burgundy hair. 

“Which one of you is Minseok?” she asked, stopping before completely leaving the bathroom.

Minseok stepped forward, “I am, why?”

“Hmm so you live in that room with Jongdae?” she asked pointing to their bedroom.

“Yeah, but who are…”

“I’m going to need to stay here a while so I’ll stay in there with him.  I already took some things out for you and I’ll get you anything else you need tomorrow but I’m going to sleep now since I’ve had sort of a rough night.”  She spit out the last part glaring at Daimen.  Stepping forward the boys instinctively moved out of her way. 

Daimen shouted down the hall “Well did it work?”

 Without looking back she answered, “Yes it worked, he’s fine but he won’t be able to come out for a few days.” Continuing on she opened the door with ease and disappeared into the room.  They all just gawked and the door flung open and the girl stuck her head out.

“I’m Kora by the way.” and then disappeared again.