Chapter 3: Hello!

maLAYsian('S) GIRL

 

There was a big group of people outside the lounge. A group of boys to be exact! They seem familiar.

Girls were screaming and pushing each other. The group of boys was trying to enter the first class lounge but the screaming girls were blocking their way. The airport security had to make a barricade between the boys and the girls. Moments later, twelve gorgeous Asian boys made it in.

“OMG! THOSE ARE THE PEOPLE STARING AT ME!”, I talked too loud. All heads turned to me. “OH SHOOT! THEY’RE STARING AGAIN!”, I yelled inside my head. I quickly ducked down the table and hid myself from the shame and embarrassment. Thank god, the table was there. My cheeks were burning. Drips of sweat starts to form on my forehead.

I could hear a loud chuckle from their direction. GREAT! I’M A LAUGHING STOCK TO GOOD LOOKING BOYS. As the coast clear, I brought myself to a sitting position and hid my face with a book. The boys were talking to each other on the opposite side of the room. I could hear their conversation because they were not many people in the lounge.

“WOW, Malaysia is so hot! We’re in an air conditioned room but I’m still sweating”, said the tall guy with piercing eyes. “I think because the girls here are hot”, said the dark tall one. He was smacked on the head by a shorter guy with an angelic face. “You and your description of our cute fangirls”, the short one said. Suddenly, an older ordinary guy with a dark expression yelled something harsh. From the tone of his voice, it was not good. I lowered my head till my neck could not be seen. I prayed that the airport staff would quickly open the boarding gate.

The room was silent and not a single mutter was heard. It felt as though no one was even there.

I wanted to check whether they were still they when RAAAAAAANNNNNGGGGGG. I jumped from my seat and my belongings dropped on the new polished marble floor. Quickly, I searched for my IPhone 5 under the pile of things. The phone kept on ringing louder and even louder. I was getting irritated. Finally, I found it and answered the phone.

“Hello!!”, I said too fast. “Kat? Is that you? This is aunt. Why do you seem panicked? Is everything okay? Are you there yet? It took me a while for me to come to my senses. “OH! Hye, aunt. I’m okay. No! Who said I was panicking? Pfft!” I tried sounding calm but failed too. I was a bad liar.

Once, I accidentally broke one of aunt’s china plates and hid it from her. The whole day, I pretended that nothing happened but my face was red as a cherry and my palm was sweating. The guilt was eating me alive! At the end of the day, I confessed and admitted my mistake. Aunt smirked and told me that she knew all along it was my doing but waited for me to come up front.  Wow, that was a slap on the face. From that day, I realized that you can’t run from the dragon lady.

While aunt was checking on me, the airport staff announced that passenger can board the plane. I placed the phone between my ear and shoulder so I could use my free-hand to pick the rest of my belongings on the floor. I was rushing so I wouldn’t be behind that group of boys. I didn’t even look under the table for my things and half jogged and walked to the counter. Phew! I got there before them. ASA!

The stewardess showed me to my seat. My seat was the nearest to the alley at the left side of the lane. “Is there anything I could help to ensure your journey is enjoyable?”, she asked me.  ENJOYABLE?! I hate flying. I’m restarting my life as a new person. This so called “new” life is supposed to be better but I doubt that. I’m moving away from everyone I love especially Aunt Mathilda. She’s my oxygen. She’s the arms that would catch me if I fall down.  She’s my protector. Now, I can only communicate with her through phone calls. I can’t even see her angelic face. So, how does this airplane ride can be enjoyable?! HUH?!, I yelled inside my head. Instead, a big fat NO is all I said. She bowed 90 degrees and left me alone. Finally, some piece of peace and serenity. I can’t handle too much stress or not I could faint any moment. And that cannot happen. The flight can be delayed and leave the other passenger unhappy.

My headache starts to worsen. I stood up and opened the overhead compartment. I tip-toed due to my short height and but I couldn’t reach for my bag because It was deep inside the compartment. My fingers could come in contact with my bag’s handle only but failed to pull it to the edge. I jumped as high as I could and successfully pulled the bag forcefully with too much power. Before I know it, I lost grip on my bag and it was going to land on my face. Quickly, I protected myself with my arms.

Suddenly, a strong hand caught the bag before it could hurt me. I looked up and saw a man with luminous skin, smooth broad shoulder and sharp jawline. He was quite tall, tall enough to tower me. I was staring at this beautiful creature’s face. Such precious walking artifact was in front of me. I looked up and he was smiling at me, showing me his row of pearly white teeth.

I realized the situation and jerked away from him. My face shows that I’m shocked of what just happened. The man looked at me with confusion. “Sorry, here’s your bag. I didn’t mean to scare you. I was there when the bag was going to fall on top of you”, he explained. His voice was sweet and soft for a man. “Ehem! Ehem! Yeah….. thanks. I shouldn’t be too careless”, I told him.  

It was getting awkward and neither of us said anything. There was this intense staring competition going on between us. Then, *cough* *cough*. We broke off eye contact and it was the same group of boys. They were smirking at the man. I looked back at him and his cheeks were flushing red. What on earth is happening? Do they know each other? Is he with them? I bowed quickly and sat obediently just like a child was scolded by her mother. I averted my gaze to the aero plane’s window.

I sneaked a peek and he was still standing there! This time his back was facing me. Why is he still here?! Shoo! Go away! The next thing was pure shock. His seat was the opposite of mine on the other side of the alley. The man was placing his purple MCM studded bag in the overhead compartment. As he stretched his arm, his shirt lifted, revealing his smooth silky skin. I felt like my eyes fell off! Immediately, I looked somewhere else before I was caught dead staring at his y back. What the hell is wrong with me?, I thought to myself. I could feel the temperature rising.

He sat down and watched me again. The man saw me fidgeting in my seat. “Excuse me, are you okay?”, he politely asked me. “I’m fine. Nothing’s wrong.”. “By the way, my name is Lay.”, he smiled at me. WHAT KIND OF NAME WAS THAT? IS HE KIDDING ME? LIKE THE CHIPS LAY’S? He’s definitely pulling my leg. I decided to fake my name too. “Yeah…. And my name is Fa Mulan”, I said with sarcasm. “Mulan? That is a pretty name. Somehow, that name sounds very familiar”, he answered seriously. OH MAN! He wasn’t lying. Lay is really his name! Shoot! I better clear up the misunderstanding before he tells everyone that I have a Disney princess’s name.

As I open my mouth to explain, the plane was ready to take off. Now, he will forever know me as MULAN.