Chapter 2: The Gateway to a NEW Life

maLAYsian('S) GIRL

The next morning was a nightmare but it was really happening. I woke up with a heavy heart. Aunt Mathilda stayed behind for safety reason. I bade goodbye to Mr. Wong, Miss Balqis and my aunt. I’m worried for her. I still don’t understand my involvement in this. Me leaving doesn’t do any good to anyone. The driver drove me to the international airport. The journey to the airport was terrible. My life was turning 180 degrees. I have to restart my life. Poor Malia, she didn’t even get a decent explanation. All she got was a ty lie.

The night before, Aunt Mathilda explained part of the situation.

*flashback*

Aunt Mathilda entered my room and came to me. I looked the other way, hoping she didn’t see my swollen eyes. I couldn’t stop crying because the thought of leaving everyone in Malaysia was crazy.

“Kat, look at me” She pleaded with her shivering voice. I turned my head but didn’t make eye contact with her. “If I’m not mistaken, I owe you an explanation.” I nodded my head as I tried to hold back my tears.

Before your parents became successful and had you, they had to go through so many kinds of obstacles. One of them was loan sharks. Your parents borrowed a great amount of money to support the family business. Soon, your parents didn’t pay back and those “bad men” came to collect what was rightfully theirs but your parents ran away. They hid all these years, hoping to escape from the “bad men”, aunt explained to me slowly as if I was a toddler learning how to read.

“Yeah, what does it have to do with you and me?!” I yelled. I think the next door neighbor could hear me. “Please calm down, Kat. You have to hear me out first”. I sat down. “Since I’m the only one related to your dad, they assume I’m their last chance of getting back their money. But they don’t know you exist”. “I’m trying my best to hide you so they won’t hurt you”

“I don’t understand, aunt. You’re filthy rich. Why can’t you pay them back?”, I asked. “Child, it’s getting late. If I explained further, you won’t get enough sleep. In the future, when you’re ready, I’ll tell the other half of the story” aunt said as she walked out of my room.

“If only your parents are here, this problem will disappear and you will be protected”, aunt said to herself.

*Flasback ended*

“When you’re ready, I’ll tell you the other half of the story”. Those words keeps bothering me. How will I know when I’m ready? As my thoughts wander off, I arrived at the airport. Surprisingly, the arrival hall was packed with people, especially teenage girls.

What on earth is happening? “Mr Driver, could you drop me off far away from the crowd, please?, I asked  as I tried to figure out what was happening. “Sorry, miss. But I have to drop you next to the crowd”, he told me. I grunted and slammed my back against the limo’s seat. It’s bad enough I’m having a bad week and this happens. Bad luck keeps coming my way. Oh Brother!

Everything was in havoc. All the teenage girls were screaming loudly till the point of where I couldn’t hear myself think. “Hormones driven girls. Someone outta control them”, I told the driver. “Tell me about it”, he told me with a scoff.

I came out with my Hermes tote bag, Ray Ban shades and a pair of converse. The outfit was simple cause I didn’t felt like dressing up fancily. My hair was up in a messy bun. The moment I stepped out, all pairs of eye were staring at me or at my way. I looked behind and saw nobody except for my driver. He moved his shoulder up and down, indicating his confusion too.

I looked back and twelve boys were staring at me too. “Why are they staring at me?! Do I have something on my face?, I asked myself as I rubbed my face to remove anything on my face but nothing. I ignored them and pushed my airport cart to the check in counter.

“That was weird”, I thought. I made my way to the first class counter but no one was behind it. That’s even weirder. An aiport attendant passed by. “Excuse me, I’m supposed to check in now but there’s no one attending me. Could you help me?”. “The counter hasn’t open yet. In a meanwhile, Miss, you can wait in the first class lounge”, the man explained to me. No wonder the line at the economy class was super duper long. They haven’t open it yet. That’s a nuisance.

The man lead me to the lounge and left me there. I was the first person to arrive and a waitress was standing by the door. “Welcome to the first class lounge ,miss. How may I help you?”, she asked me. “Hello there. Urrrmmm…  Could I get a glass of water?” The waitress immediately went behind the bar and served me. I took a sip of it and relaxed myself on the soft cushion chair. The silence was overwhelming and soon I was dozing off.

*aaaaahhhhhh*

*EXO Oppa!*

*Lay oppa, saranghaeyo!*

I woke up to the loud commotion. “Huh? What is going on?”