Epilogue ¦ Consternation of Him

Consternation of Him

            The secluded marble steps that lead to her grave are covered with fallen leaves and branches. Her feet rustle against the cluttered leaves as she ascends up the stairs. She looks at the engravings on the granite.

Lee Sun Mi

A cherished friend and daughter to all.

April 8th, 1989 – July 1st, 2013

            Jiyeon gently places a bouquet of flowers on the platform of the grave. She steps back, examining the beautiful foliage in front of her. The sight was breath-taking. Sun Mi’s grave overlooked the city of Seoul. An oak tree hung over the grave, producing shade for the summer visitors. Sunlight streams in through the tiny spaces of the leaves.

            “Sun Mi, it’s been a while.” Jiyeon brushes her bangs away from her face. “I apologize for not visiting you any sooner – after you left, everything hurtled at me. A lot of things happened.” As if she was waiting for Sun Mi to answer, Jiyeon paused in the midst of her speech.

            “I’m getting married next week,” she finally announces. “He’s a really nice guy – I think you would like him. He planned on coming, but I wanted some private time with you.” Another pause. “I met him a month after you passed – he was a new doctor. He’s majoring in neurology.” Jiyeon sits down beside the grave as she brushes away the dirt that collected over the years.

            “Next week, I’ll have the same last name as you – Lee. I forgot to tell you of his name, didn’t I? Lee Ki Kwang. I feel like we’re finally sisters, like we promised to be when we were little. I’m happy, Sun Mi. I really am.” Jiyeon swallows. “You could have been my maid of honor.” A tear escapes her eye as she stands up.

            “I’ll come back married, Sun Mi. Be happy for me.” And then Jiyeon departs.

* * * *

            His eyes follow Jiyeon as she heads down the aisle, clad in a beaded white dress. Changmin leads her down the grand carpet, slowly making their way towards the groom. The priest says a few prayers before finally announcing, “I pronounce you to be husband and wife – Mr. and Mrs. Lee.”

            Cheers erupt from the crowd as a tear slips from his eye.

            Jiyeon smiles after breaking away from the celebratory kiss. Her eyes glance over the crowd, meeting his. She looks right through him before Ki Kwang grabs her hand happily. The newly-wed couple saunters down the aisle. As they exit the church, her eyes fleetingly dart in his direction again. Ki Kwang pulls her outside – that was the last he saw of her.

            The scene evaporates in front of him as Myungsoo finds himself in his chair.

            “Don’t linger on someone who’s not worth it,” Satan nonchalantly says, “she’s much happier without you. You made her happy, but now someone is replacing your spot.”

            “…you saw this coming didn’t you?” Myungsoo calmly asks.

            “Falling in love with a mortal – interesting. But a mortal who is afraid of Death? Even more interesting. Of course I had to pair you two together – it was entertaining while it lasted.”

            “I can’t believe you,” Myungsoo says with a scoff.

            “You guys wouldn’t have lasted, regardless of me stepping in. You can’t love somebody who is afraid of you – that’s impossible,” Satan bluntly replies.

            “Nothing’s impossible,” Myungsoo is quick to add.

            “…one day, she’ll be down here with you. Just a little bit longer, Myungsoo.”