Chapter 1

The Highest Angel

People yelled and shouted at each other, cars zoomed down the streets, and people talked into these strange devices that puzzled Leeteuk’s mind. He was becoming more and more unsettled each passing minute. How could God think that he was right for this oh so important mission? He knew nothing of this world. Taking a deep breath, he tried to calm his nerves. The last thing the world needed was a freaked out angel; especially one as powerful as himself.

He yelped when he felt one of his wings being tugged on, causing him to wrap both wings around himself as a protective barrier. 

“Wah hyung, cool wings! Where did you get them from?” A small child who looked to be around 10 asked.  Leeteuk racked his brain for some kind of answer but found none. Surely the child knew that he wings were real, right? Don’t humans know of angels’ existence? Letting his wing barrier down, he simply gave an awkward smile to the small boy and headed off.

Where was he to start on gathering information? There had to be other angels around that knew more than he. Leeteuk had no contacts whatsoever here and he found himself getting frustrated already.

People began to give him strange looks and crowd around him; pointing and whispering amongst themselves. A few people even reached out to touch his wings. He felt terrified and just wanted to be back in the safety of heaven.

Not knowing of what else to do he took off running trying to get away from everything. Without realizing it, the frightened angel ran out into traffic. He heard horns and tires skidded to a stop in front of him.

“How about getting out of the middle of the street!” A man yelled out from his car then swerved around him.

The poor angel shook with fear as he was still on the street and unlucky for it was during 5 o’clock rush hour.

“What are these contraptions?” Surprised that he even had time to ponder this.

In the mist of his thoughts another car; or contraption as he so called it; came speeding towards him. It was going too fast to just stop. He instinctively put his wings up and used it as a barrier. The people around gasped and just knew that the strange man had to be dead. No one could survive that.

To everyone’s surprise the truck was at a stand-still in front of the strange man. And the man? He was completely unscathed. One again people began to whisper about the man.

Leeteuk’s heart was beating fast and he just simply wanted to get away from everything. He opened his wings to its full length and gave a mighty flap, his body lifting off of the ground. He flew high up in the sky and didn’t come down until he found what looked like an abandoned factory. Deciding to rest there for a while he landed and went inside.

 

“Yo, Kangin hyung check this out!” A man with his hair dyed a brownish color called out. The other man, Kangin, answered with a grunt and made his way into the kitchen, which is connected to the living room where the other man was.  

“What is it now, Donghae?” Kangin grabbed a bottle of Soju before plopping on the sofa next to Donghae.

“Look, on the news. There’s some man with wings running around Seoul Plaza! H-He was flying and everything!” Kangin rolled his eyes and his younger brother and chugged down some of his Soju.

“You know there’s some kind of circus down there; he’s probably just showing everyone some of his tricks.” Donghae pouted at his hyung’s words. Why didn’t he ever believe him? There was that one time when he said that aliens had abducted him, and the time when he sworn that he saw Santa Claus at swimming lessons, but this time he was sure that he was right.

“But hyung, he stopped a truck from hitting him with just his wingy things! I think he’s an angel!” He groaned in pain when Kangin hit him upside his head.

“Y’know, instead of coming up with these weird theories how about studying more. That is why I’m working so hard like a dog for.” Kangin scolded halfheartedly. “Speaking of which, I have to leave now.”

“Wait, hyung have you ever thought about going back to school?”

“Yeah, but if I did that then who would pay for my studies let along yours? Don’t worry about hyung; you just make sure you study.” And with that Kangin was off.

“Be careful driving hyung!” Donghae called after him.

Kangin hated working at the factory but what could he do? It paid good money and he was his own boss; the benefits weren’t too good but he was doing this for Donghae. He had to arrive at work an hour earlier because he was the manager. He had to make sure everything was in order for a hard evening and night day of work.

He was about to unlock the main door when he noticed that it was already slightly cracked open. How was that possible? The lock wasn’t even picked or broken; the doors were simply pried open, but who or what had the strength to do that? The doors were solid metal.

He knew that he should call the police but something stopped him from doing so. He, being the curious person he is, just had to find out what had opened those doors on their own.

He stepped inside the factory and froze up when he heard several clanks and hat sounded like a panicked bird. So that was it? A bird got in? Seriously? He really wanted something to happen in his dull life. He started turning on the factory lights when he heard a groan. Okay, that was not a bird.

He heard several more clanks and groans until he saw something was too big to be a bird fly past him. Scared, he fell back on his and let out a sting of loud curses. He looked to where the “bird” had flown past him and when he did he wanted to slap himself.

“Okay, Kangin, no more Soju before work.” He said to himself.

Right before him was a man who practically glowed even in the dim lit factory. He wore all white and had the most beautiful pair of shiny, crystal blue eyes, which was rare if even existent for an Asian to have. But, that’s not what surprised him the most, what did were the large pair of wings sticking out of his back and lay delicately on the cold concrete floor.

His wings which were supposed to be white were stained black with what looked to be oil or grease. He was practically lured to this man. He felt himself walking towards until the man in front of him backed further away trying to hide in the corner.

“I, uh, won’t hurt you.” Kangin tried to inch closer but scooted back even further, obviously not believing his words.

“My name’s Kangin. I, uh, work here. Do you mind me asking your name?” He tried again at conversation and waited for what seemed like hours for a response. He was about to give up thinking that the strange man would never talked.

“I’m Leeteuk.” Kangin stared at the man. His voice was like music to his ears; it sounded like delicate chimes going off where he spoke.

Kangin looked at the man and just noticed the red sticky substance coming from the man’s wing. Without thinking he walked over and kneelt down close to him. Frightened, the angel let out a squeak and flapped to a different corner.

“Y’know, if you come with me, I’ll fix your uh wing thing up for you. I’m sure you don’t want to be here late, it gets filled with people and commotion. It’s also very cold here at night.” Kangin once again found him playing the waiting game but when Leeteuk didn’t answer after a long while Kangin sighed.

“Okay, we’ll I’m going to leave now then. Seeya.” Kangin walked outside of the factory and leaned up against his truck. He didn’t know if the man would give in or not but he planned to wait and see.

After about 10 minute, he saw a figure limp out in defeat.

“I-I’ll go.” Leeteuk whispered out softly and again Kangin could hear the chimes. Kangin went over and helped the man into his truck; he could tell he was still very uncomfortable with his presence but he just had to get over it for the time being.

Kangin got into the driver’s seat and immediately there was a problem.

“Um, your wing is in the way. Do you mind if I move it?”

“No, don’t touch it.” Leeteuk said curtly and flattened his wings to his back as Kangin watched in amazement.  

“Oh Donghae is gonna love this.” Kangin sighed to himself and began to drive back to his and his brother’s apartment.