Houdini

Remnants of a Hollow Heart - A Collection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

CAUTION: What you are about to read is a random delusion I had inside my head. Please excuse my very, very weird imagination. It can get weirder so this is a milder version. XD

 

 

 

 

“Thanks. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

 

Taeyeon bid her colleague goodbye and briskly walked towards the exit of the hospital as quickly as she can. A lot of paperwork waited for her even outside the confines of work and weighed down on her shoulders. Aside from that, she had to study for an upcoming major exam.

 

She was on the last year of her medical course, on her way to become the best doctor Seoul ever had and will ever have. To achieve her dream, she must first go through a series of immersion at the hospital. It was exhausting, soul- even, but it never hindered her from persevering.

 

Winter was just around the corner and the bitter kiss of the breeze seeped into her jacket. She pulled the hood over her head, hoping to somehow gather some warmth. Unfortunately, it didn’t help much. So Taeyeon dug her hands into her pockets instead and felt the cold apartment keys shock her skin. She grabbed it and held it tight, metal embedding on her palm.

 

Letting out sigh, she watched it dissipate into nothingness. She suddenly regretted not taking her car today.

 

And then she felt being pushed back. She suddenly felt warm.

 

“Ah, I’m sorry!” said a girl, who was bowing to her many, many times.

 

Taeyeon wondered how her spine could handle an amazing lot of bending, “No harm done. I’m good.”

 

And then she smiled at the girl, hoping that she would see that she was sincere in forgiving her.

 

It was only then that she noticed how eye-catching the girl was. It was like passing by something and doing a double take just to make sure that she was seeing the right thing because the black-haired lady, who was standing in front of her, might be an illusion.

 

She was the excelsior of beauty, like she didn’t belong to earth, like she belonged to someplace else where everything was destined to be perfect and beautiful.

 

If it were contradictions to man’s reality and science, then here is a living evidence of that paradox now.

 

“Are you sure? I spilled coffee all over your shirt.”

 

Taeyeon looked at the cup in the girl’s hand. Starbucks. Figures. And she looked down. Indeed, there was a huge blotch of brown stuff on her chest. No wonder she felt so warm. Hm, it was going to stain.

 

“I’ve always hated this shirt anyway,” Taeyeon told her, partly serious about what she said, “Don’t feel sorry, okay? You kinda did me a favor.”

 

The girl looked at her squarely, almost hopefully. Her attractive voice filled Taeyeon’s ears, “Do you believe in magic?”

 

Okay. That was just completely random.

 

Magic? Of course not. It’s all about the proper positioning of mirrors and the magician’s amazingly speedy finger works. That’s why Taeyeon chose a medical course, chose science. Because it proved how things work, proved how things not work, whereas magic was all about believing and not seeing. There’s no truth in magic. No science. No evidence.

 

Just deception.

 

But for the sake of this beautiful lady, Taeyeon could bend some rules, bend some principles.

 

“Magic?” A snort, “Sure do! I know some of Houdini’s tricks. He’s like the best escape artist ever!”

 

The lady chuckled, “I know, right?”

 

That sounded so good in Taeyeon’s ears, so very good. And then she did somethi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter