Final

A Cliche Encounter

       Kwangyeon was at the local convenience store to buy a few boxes of instant ramen and basic products for hygiene. He lived alone, and he was a waiter at a cafe, so he had a little less than the average man. He wasn't poor, but he wasn't middle class either. Kwangyeon was lucky enough to be right in the middle, living off of enough money to survive.

       "The sign said that the ramen is half off, but I can't find any! Maybe they sold out?" Kwangyeon mumbled to himself as he scanned the shelves of the aisle he was currently in. "Oh! There it is!"

       Kwangyeon reached up to grab the box of instant ramen, but it was on the highest shelf. He stretched himself to the extent where he appeared to be mimicking a ballerina. Kwangyeon groaned, but refused to go ask the cashier for help. He didn't care if he looked ridiculous, he was going to get a box of instant ramen for half off!

      Just around the corner, a lanky, attractive male was on the phone, rolling his eyes at the caller. He turned the corner and smiled amusedly at the sight of the shorter male desperately reaching for a box of ramen. He rolled his eyes once more and said his goodbyes to the caller. After hanging up, he approached the shorter male and stood behind him, watching him struggle.

      Kwangyeon was still reaching for a box of instant ramen when another pair of arms appeared above his own. He felt someone pressing against his back and froze. The arms grabbed the box that Kwangyeon was aiming for and lowered it so that it was right in front of him. Kwangyeon blinked and slowly turned to face the generous person. He stared up into the face of another male. A tall, lanky, yet extremely attractive male. Kwangyeon quickly became flustered at the close proximity and the position they were in. It appeared as if the stranger was hugging Kwangyeon.

      Kwangyeon felt his heart rate speed up, and felt his face become a dark shade of red. The stranger looked to be around Kwangyeon's age. Kwangyeon wasn't entirely sure, but he thought that what he was feeling was love at first sight.

      "Um, hi...?" The lanky stranger looked unsure of what to say and trailed off awkwardly.

      "H-hi..." Kwangyeon wasn't any better in the situation. "Um, thank you for getting the box down for me..."

       "Oh, that wasn't a problem. You looked like you were having a hard time reaching the box." The stranger's discomfort disappeared quickly, and he smiled down at Kwangyeon. "Have a good evening, now."

       The box was placed in Kwangyeon's hands, so he just nodded and proceeded to walk away. Right when he reached the end of the aisle, he turned around to thank the stranger again, but saw him tripping over his own feet. Reacting quickly, he dropped his items on the floor and ran to catch the stranger. Once again, they were in a compromising position.

       "Ah, thank you. I'm really clumsy, so it's not really that surprising that I tripped..." The stranger trailed off and blushed in embarrassment.

       "The important thing is, are you alright?" Kwangyeon's face was covered with worry, and he let it a sigh of relief when the stranger nodded. "Be more careful."

       "Right, I'll do that."

       Kwangyeon turned and resumed his trek to the counter to pay. He had calculated the money when he was gathering the items, and the pay was just withing his budget. When the cashier told him the amount, however, he paled. He had to pay twenty three dollars more than he calculated.

       "But, it shouldn't be that much! The ramen is half off!" Kwangyeon spluttered in exasperation.

       "Oh, the sale ended yesterday. We just haven't moved the sign yet."

       "I don't have enough money!"

       "How much more does he have to pay?" Kwangyeon turned to see the stranger smiling at him.

       "In order to buy everything, he needs twenty three more dollars." The cashier answered him, looking as if she truly admired him.

       "Here, twenty three dollars."

       "What? No! You don't have to..." Kwangyeon looked around desperately since he knew he couldn't pay the stranger back.

       "Oh, your boyfriend is so good to you!" The cashier gushed and accepted the money from the stranger.

       "W-what!? You're misunderstanding the situation! He's not my boyfriend!" Kwangyeon felt his face grow hot as he defended himself.

       He just grabbed his bagged items from the counter and trudged out the door when the cashier smiled knowingly. Once he got through the door, someone grabbed the bags from him. Kwangyeon turned to see the stranger smiling shyly at him.

       "They looked heavy..." The stranger looked away, but kept smiling.

       "At least let me carry half of them! I'm not a freaking girl!" Kwangyeon was glad, but he was getting embarrassed from the treatment.

       "My name is Kyumin, by the way." The stranger introduced himself as he handed a few of the bags back to Kwangyeon.

       "I'm Kwangyeon. Can I have all my bags? I need to head home."

       "I'll walk you home! My hyung can get the snacks he ordered me to get himself..."

       Kwangyeon felt his heart rate speed up again, and he mentally cursed for it. Grudgingly, he obliged to the walk home. When the apartment complex he lived in was a ten minute walk away, he stopped and held out his hand for the rest of the bags. After a short argument, Kwangyeon kept walking with Kyumin trailing behind. After the apartment complex was a five minute walk away, Kyumin spoke up.

       "Wow, you live in the dangerous part of town... I'm glad I accompanied you. It would've been bad if something happened if you were alone." Kyumin gave Kwangyeon another smile, and the latter's face became a shade of red which was covered up by the darkness.

        "This is it..." Kwangyeon stopped in front of a cheap, small apartment complex.

        "Hey, Kwangyeon-ssi, can you give me your phone real quick?"

        "Why?" Kwangyeon inquired suspiciously, but handed his phone over anyway. After a minute, Kyumin gave him his phone back.

        "Since this area isn't safe, if you ever get into trouble, just call me!"

        Kwangyeon looked at the screen of his phone and saw that Kyumin had added himself as a contact. Kwangyeon blushed and smiled shyly and gratefully. Kyumin placed the bags into Kwangyeon's hands and turned with a wave.

        "Hey!" Kwangyeon called out and watched as Kyumin turned back around.

        Kwangyeon dropped the bags and grabbed Kyumin by the shoulders. He pulled him closer and slowly leaned in. He was glad to see that this time, it was Kyumin that was flustered. Kwangyeon placed a gentle kiss on Kyumin's lips and pulled away with a smile. They were both blushing, but Kyumin's was darker.

        "You better pick up the phone when I call, whether I'm in trouble or not." Kwangyeon commanded with a bright smile.

        "Of course." Kyumin smiled and walked away after they shared another kiss.

        Kwangyeon entered his apartment and beamed.

        "Thank you box of instant ramen."