Chapter Three: Coffee Shop

Late Night Coffee Shop

Youngjae POV

 

I stood on the steps in front of the school, away from the rest of the guys. They were arguing about whose house to hang out at, and I barely listened to what they were saying. I looked down at my shoes as the melted snow piled up around my boots. After a few more minutes I heard a door open and Daehyun appeared, I was going to call out his name so I could ask him to hang out with us, but before I could he hurried off to the other side of the street and hopped into a car. I watched curiously as it sped off quickly, and I wondered where he was headed to in such a rush. 

Someone touched my shoulder and I tore my gaze away from the street and stared at Jongup's confused face.

"Hyung, were going to Himchan's house now. Aren't you coming?" He pulled me along with them and I followed.

A few minutes later I was sandwiched in between Zelo and Jongup in the back seat. I didn't notice how uncomfortable it was because I was too busy thinking about Daehyun. Zelo squirmed slightly next to me, trying to make room for himself. I sighed and looked out the front window, watching as the snow became heavier and heavier as time passed. Himchan grumbled to himself about the cold weather.

Finally we made it to Himchan's house and the guys thought it was a brilliant idea to play some kind of board game. I ignored them as they got competitive, and my mind slipped into my thoughts again. I couldn't even enjoy myself because of him

A few more hours, and we were all bored. I ignored more than 6 calls from my parents, they were always worrying about me, and I should have been home an hour ago. Yongguk and Junhong left already and I figured it was time that I go home also.

Himchan offered me a ride and I declined. It was probably a bad idea because it was snowing outside, but I wanted time to myself before I had to go home. I trudged though the snow for awhile until my feet got numb and snow collected on my pants. I pulled my beanie down further over my ears and tried to warm my hands up. Suddenly my ringtone blared out into the silence and it made me jump. I fumbled for it in my coat pockets, then pulled it out and read the name that flashed across the screen.

Mom

I sighed heavily and then answered it. Immediately she started to scream into my ear about how irresponsible I was and how I should have been home hours ago. I didn't say anything back, I just listened.

I nodded my head to what she was saying even though she couldn't see it. By now, this had become a regular thing and I was no longer bothered by it. I learned that there was no point in arguing so I waited until she was done.

"Yeah Mom, I know. You can yell at me when I get home, I'll be there soon." There wasn't an answer so I hung up and started to walk again, letting the snow melt away my anger.

...

 

Daehyun POV

 

Right after classes I rushed to the front of the school to get picked up like always. 

Walking out the front door, I passed Youngjae and his friends. I started to walk quicker to avoid contact with Youngjae. I had a feeling he would try to talk to me again. I felt kinda bad, but I didn't have time right now.

I jumped into the employee's car who was sent to pick me up. I didn't know who the guy was, but it was always someone who worked at the shop. I stayed silent the whole time, trying to make the time go faster before I had to start working. The man who was driving never said a word to me and I felt how awkward it was. I just looked out the window, pretending I was tired. I watched as the snow began to get heavier and I hoped that I wouldn't get stuck in the snow with this guy.

Finally we arrived at the coffee shop, and I hurried inside. I walked over to the stage in the back of the shop and I set my back pack down to start setting up for tonight. So I started to wipe down the tables first, then I mopped the floors. I moved up to the stage and I made sure that everything was clean, this was my main job. I tested the mic's to make sure they were okay, then I set up some stool's in the back. Usually there were people who performed here every night, that's what I always loved about this coffee shop. I usually work the late shift because I like to stay until the last performance.

"Oh, here you are! I've been looking everywhere for you." My uncle smiled at me as I looked up from my work. I nodded to him. He chuckled and continued with what he was saying, "In a couple hours, were gonna need your help on tables." I nodded and went back to what I was doing. "Oh! And one more thing,.. " I looked over to him. 

"You're on tonight."