Chapter One: Cold Mornings

Late Night Coffee Shop

Youngjae POV

 

...

 

Rubbing my freezing hands together, I stuffed them in my coat pockets and shuffled inside to the warmth of the school building. I looked around to see if I'd spot any familiar faces. But of course, there was no one I was familiar with because my friends were always late to school. I shook my head with a smirk and a small chuckle, they were always out causing trouble.

 

Walking over to my locker and lightly shaking off any snow I happened to collect while I was outside, I picked out my math book and started to head in the general direction of my classroom. Most of the students hadn't arrived yet, the halls were always sparsely populated because I arrived early. I sighed, making my way downstairs when I heard someone call my name. I turned to spot Jongup with some tall kid standing next to him. He was loitering around the staircase like always. I smiled.

 

"Hey Jongup-ah!" I walked over to him and his new friend.

"Sup Jae Hyung" Jongup gave me a half-hearted smile. I noticed that his eyes were barely being kept open, and his hair was a disheveled mess. I laughed and lightly patted his head. He flashed me another tired smile, I looked over to the kid that was next to Jongup. He was tall, with straight blone hair that fell over his eyes. He seemed insecure about himself, and was always fidgeting. 

"Who's this?" I asked, smiling at the new kid. Jongup, still struggling to stay awake, started to answer my question.

"Oh! He's uh-...um.. Junhong! But people call him Zelo. So you can call him Zelo, actually everyone calls him Zelo. He's in...dance group....were.....best friends..." Jongup stumbled over his words and yawned.  Zelo stared at him with a bewildered look. I shared the same look as Zelo, but I managed to understand what he was saying anyways. 

"Nice to meet you Zelo!" I gave him a friendly pat on the back which seemed to startle him. He nodded and bowed.

While Jongup went to go sit in the corner of the stairway to rest, Zelo and I were talking about his worries about the rest of the school year. He told me that he was nervous about making friends because the only person he knew was Jongup. I quickly reassured him.

"Don't worry Zelo-ah" I slung my arm around his neck and grabbed his schedule. I checked it quickly just to notice that he and I shared the same classes. "Oh! We have the same classes! See? You're off to a good start!" Suddenly the bell rang, and I gave the nervous boy next to me a reassuring smile before I caught Jongup waking up with a startled look on his face. He gave a shout of surprise and I laughed at him struggling to get up with his books in his hands. He caught up to me and Zelo finally as we made our way to class.

 

....

 

Daehyun POV

 

....

 

I rubbed my eyes for the fifth time that morning, trying to will away the sleepiness before I got to school. I slept in yet again after a late night, and I quickly figured out that this was happening too often. I hoped that no one would figure out what I was doing, I would get into too much trouble.

With so many thoughts in my mind, I accidentally tripped on the frozen snow in front of me and dropped all of my books onto the cold ground. I hurried to pick up my books that were now covered in snow, shoving them into my school bag. Running to reach the entrance of the school, I hear the final bell ring. Cursing under my breath I let out a cold breath of air.

"Ugh this is just my luck. I'm definitely late now."

Pulling the door open with a violent force I made my way to my locker with hurried footsteps. Throwing my locker door open, I quickly grabbed my math book and bolted to my classroom that was around the corner. When suddenly someone emerged right in front of me. I came to a sudden halt, but the melted snow on the bottom of my shoes made me slip, and before I knew it I was on the ground. 

I stared at the papers that were scattered around me, when I heard a deep voice say something above me. 

"Aw man! My bad, I'm sorry bro. See Himchan, look what you did!" The voice then turned to the person beside him and I finally looked up to see the two popular kids that are in my class. I tugged my scarf up to my chin and started to collect my papers. Keeping quiet while doing so. They continued to argue.

"Me? How is this my fault? You were the one who made him trip." Himhan scoffed and turned the other way. Yongguk looked down to me, and I looked away from him.

"Do you need help man?" The popular kid named Yongguk bent down to help me collect my things. I lightly bowed to him, before taking my things from his hands and continued to run down the hallways. I could still hear them arguing as I got further and further away.

As I finally made it to my class, I rushed into the room and noticed that the whole class turned my way. I bowed to the teacher with a silent apology and made my way to the empty seat at the back of the class. Throwing my books onto the floor beside me, I sighed heavily and slumped down into my chair. 

Maybe I was later than I thought...

I shook my head a little to shake off the embarrassment from earlier when I noticed a kid across the room staring at me. I glanced at him, brushing it off as if it was nothing and stared at my desk. I buried my face further into my scarf and closed my eyes, trying to warm up my freezing body. The cold was just hitting me now.

Fighting to keep myself awake, the class continued on...