The Meeting

My Guy
We arrived at Bartolotta, an upscale Italian restaurant located in the heart of Seoul.

"I hope you like Italian." Sang Bum said, his tone sounded confident yet soothing, trying to make me forget that current incident that just happened.

I looked at him trying to reassure him that I was doing just fine, "I love Italian." I lied.

The hostess sat us down on a table that Sang Bum had just reserved for us, the restaurant was jam packed -- I wonder how he even got us seats, impossible to believe.

We were handed our menus and I began to scan through to see what I would find appetizing. Browsing through I could see his eyes peering over his own menu.

"Did you know they make the best Shrimp Alfredo?" Trying to make it sound very tasty with a bit of enthusiasm as he folded his menu down.

I looked up at him, "Oh really.." trying to sound at least interested, "I'll get that then, sounds good." Hoping to sound just at least a little convincing to him.

He gestured the waiter over and we took our orders, I had the Chicken Alfredo subbing in for the shrimp and he ordered the Chicken Parmigiana. Now that we did not have any menus in our way, I felt so speechless towards him.

"So what are you studying?" Sounding to eager, as if he wanted me to spill my whole life story at him, that would be nice -- to have a guy who I could tell all my little life dreams to but then again, I had to be cautious, I don't know whether this whole dinner with him was just a joke or actually genuine.

"Nursing. Yourself?"

He was still staring at me, as if he wanted to read my soul, "Law. Nursing huh.. how do you like it so far?"

"It's what I expected -- not easy. What about you? Law sounds pretty interesting." I replied, trying to at least make conversation with him.

He takes a sip out of his glass and glances back up at me, "Yeah it's not that bad, I love it. I hope to work at my dad's law firm after I graduate." He ends it with a smile.

How impressive.

"Excuse me sir. That woman over there wanted me to offer you one of our finest wine." The waiter walked over and gestured to the woman sitting at the edge of the table just a few feet away from us. We both looked over our shoulders to see who she was and I could see Sang Bum rolling his eyes as the waiter walked off leaving us with a wine that was probably worth more than our whole dinner combined.

"Friend of yours?" I asked, he looks over and slides the wine over to my side of the table.

I slide it back towards him, "She's just one of my dad's colleague. Don't look back but the young girl next to her is her daughter. Moon Geun Young." I did not bother to look back but from the short glimpse that I had earlier, she was a beauty.

"What about them?" I curiously asked.

"She's a rival of mine. She's always wanted to compete with me in everything that I do. But our parents are good friends, over a decade now. My dad finds Geun Young very suitable for me but she's more on the crazy side." He cautiously said.

Crazy side? That's something that I would not want to find out, looks like a sweet girl to me though.

-

Later after dinner . . .

We arrived back at my dorm in Aurburn Hall, "So here we are. I hope you enjoyed tonight with me, sorry about what happened earlier though." Sang Bum says, he seemed to be a little hesitant while I was thinking of how we should end this night. A hand shake? No. Too formal. A hug? Perhaps.

"Oh don't worry about it, thanks for tonight. You can go first." I said gesturing him off.

He reached out both arms, a hug it is then. We hugged, probably not even for 5 seconds. What a record.

"Bye." We both said, as he walks off and I used the key to enter my room.

Right as I walked in Shin Hye was sitting there on her laptop with her face almost pressing against the screen.

"How was your date?" I asked her trying to talk loud enough so that she could hear me, as I glanced above her she was zoned in on the latest drama.

She gave me a disappointed look, "He bailed out on me. He had the flu." She said as she closed off her laptop.

I took off the skirt and quickly changed into my shorts, "Again? I think he's up to no good with you, you're too good for him!" I said as I tossed the skirt back into the pile of clothes -- it was so piled up that we were unsure which clothes were washed or not.

"He said it might just be a 24-hour type flu, and he will come visit when he's feeling better. But how was your date?" Shin Hye said as she jumped onto her bed resting her hand on her chin as if she was expecting to hear the most romantic story.

"It was O.K. nothing too special. I almost got killed, well not really but almost got robbed." I said in a calm voice.

Shin Hye jumps to me and puts both of her hands onto my shoulder nearly bruising me with her tight grip and shakes me a little from left to right.

"Are you O.K.!? What happened!? Did you catch this person? Did you go to the police to file it? Did he hurt you?" She grabs my wrist and arm trying to observe every inch of it to make sure that nothing was wrong.

I removed both of my wrist away from her, "I am O.K., no need to worry and it was nothing serious. I'm just left puzzled."

"Puzzled? Why?" Shin Hye asked with a very confused look as she sits next to me more calm now.

"The guy who was trying to rob me, he knew me... or so he says." I said trying to make sense of it myself.

"A stalker?" Shin Hye gasped.

"No it's nothing like that, I did not recognize him but he seemed to have recognized me right when he saw my identification card. Anyways. He probably just mistook me for another person, I'm sure of it." I said trying to reassure myself and Shin Hye that it was nothing serious. I mean, it can't be. However.. I cannot get his name and face out of my head still.

We both washed up to bed, and during that night.. I lied in bed awake just thinking of his name. Choi Seung Hyun.

-

The next morning . . .

I woke up to find Shin Hye already gone to class, it was Saturday and only Shin Hye would have a morning class on a Saturday -- she was sure an overachiever.

Saturday is where I always went to visit my mom, she's the only person who I had left in this world. My dad, I don't know where he is but my mom always told me that he left her while she was still pregnant with me. What a dad eh?

I did not live too far from home, walking distances and you might wonder why I don't just live at home, well the thing is, I have a full ride scholarship and if I don't live on campus then I lose that scholarship -- weird isn't it? So in order to keep my full ride scholarship I have to stay on campus, which is not that bad so far.

"Eun Hye." A masculine voice said my name, I looked around and there was no one. I continue on my way walking, I must be delusional, starting to hear things like this out of no where.

I looked behind me to make sure it was really no one, "Eun Hye." Right in front of me was him. The same man from yesterday. It was Choi Seung Hyun.

"Eun Hye. It's me." He says.

"I don't know you, I'm sorry. I don't have any money for you to steal." I said as I rush past him.

"You do know me. Just try to remember. Our promise. You must remember." He sounded so remorseful.

I turned around, "I really do not know who you are. I think you are mistaken, I'm not the Eun Hye that you know." I quickly hurried along to my mom's house trying to lose track of him, he must be out of his mind.

I finally arrived to her house a few minutes later.

The door was left open, did something happen?

"Mom? Are you home? Mom?" I looked all over just hoping nothing bad would happen.

A voice began to shout, "Eun Hye! I'm outside in the backyard."

I walked to towards the back, "Mom why did you leave the front door open?" She can never be too careful, my mom could be so careless.

She was out in the back fixing her garden, "I knew you would be home so I left it open for you, go sit and relax, you must had a long week of studying." She stood up looking happier than ever just to see me.

"Hae Won, is that your daughter?"

My mom gestured me back out to the back right before I could relax comfortably, "Yes that's my daughter, my only daughter. My little flower." My mom said as she gestured me more to come down next to her. I walked down the white steps and bowed down to the little petite woman who was with my mom.

"Mom, I'm not your little flower.!" I replied with embarrassment as stood next to her while she placed her arm around my waist.

"Eun Hye, this is Choi Ha Neul, they are new to our neighborhood, just moved here the other day." Mom said as she smiled.

"It's a pleasure meeting you. Where's the other family members?" I asked.

"Eun Hye, don't be so rude to ask already. It's just her and her son." My mom said as she shooed me back inside the house. I excused myself from their conversation and went back inside to just throw my body on the couch.

Moments later my mom came back inside, "Eun Hye, you have no manners."

I looked up at her from my comfortable position as I had my legs up on the coffee table in front of our couch.

"What do you mean? I just asked if there was any other family members that came with her. I would not want a cute little lady like her living alone, it's dangerous in a city like Seoul here." I said trying to justify my answer.

Mom removed my legs off her coffee table and sat next to me, "She moved here with her son, they had a very trouble life. Her son is not in the best condition."

"Best condition? What do you mean?"

"Well... you see... he was kicked out of so many schools before, so she moved him here to Seoul hoping that they would find someone who could help him. He's a troubled person. His mom says that his girlfriend left him for his own best friend back in their hometown, left him devastated which lead to his destruction." Mom said as she held onto my hand.

Poor guy. What kind of girlfriend leaves you for your own best friend, and what kind of best friend is that in the first place!?

"You should bring some food over, I made some rice cakes, you should take it next door to them." She suggested while pointing over to the kitchen counter top. I walk up to it and wrapped the rice cakes in a box covering it with aluminum foil.

I headed on over next door and knocked on the door since the doorbell did not seem to be working after ringing it two times.

The door opened, "Oh Eun Hye! What are you doing here?"

I handed over the rice cakes, "These are for you and your son." I said.

She took them off my hand and gestured me to come inside, "I really have to go." I said trying not to disturb her, I could see her watching a serious talk show from the television screen.

"No don't be silly, come inside. I made some japchae here, you can bring some to you and your mom O.K.? They're almost done so just come wait inside."

I walked in and sat on the couch just waiting patiently as she closed the door behind me and went into the kitchen. The smell of the japchae made the house smell so delicious. I love japchae.

"It's so nice to have you and your mom next door, she's been so helpful with me moving in this week." Mrs. Choi said from the kitchen.

"That's really good to hear, if you ever need anything then just come to us. I don't go to school too far from here either. So you can always reach me anytime." I said with a reassuring voice.

"That's good to know. You two make moving to a new city a whole lot easier," She walks in and sits down next to me, "It should be done in a bit, sorry if I'm making you wait too long."

"No it's totally fine."

The front door opened, we both turned to see who it was, "Oh you're home..." Mrs. Choi said as she rose up from her seat.

"Hey it's you." I rose up from my seat and pointed directly at his face.

His eyes seemed to widen up, "Eun Hye."

"I see you two know each other," Mrs. Choi said as she clapped her hands together with a smile on her face, "Seung Hyun, you made a new friend already?" She walked away into the kitchen.

"So you're her son?" I was shocked, this is impossible. There together, we stood in the silence. We meet... once again. Chances are, I have a feeling this won't be the last either.