Chapter 1

Broken Promise

NO ONE'S POV:

Sunggyu sat there on the bench at the hospital not knowing what to do.  His mind was a daze.  He couldnt feel his body anymore.  There werent even any tears.  Nothing.  He was completely numb.

He couldnt even feel the pain of his hand clenching the folded white paper until his whole fist was white.  

**Flashback**

"I'm Sorry Sunggyu-sshi... I am truly sorry... But you have tested positive for Stage 3 Esophageal cancer.."  The doctor said with his head slightly hung low.  He couldnt force himself to look at the face of a young man, a talented idol singer, whose life was about to end soon.

There was silence for a few seconds.

"....Doctor..."  Sunggyu spoke up finally, "Isn't there anything we can do?  Surgery?"

Doctor slowly shook his head as he took up the courage to look at the boy whose expression was desperate as he was leaning forward, waiting to hear his response.

"Surgery would be too risky... There's a 85% chance you could end up dead right there on the operation table."  The Doctor said, "I'm sorry.. but the only thing we can do now is give you regular checkups... And hope for the best."  

Sunggyu looked down... More silence.  Then after a few seconds he stood up as he looked at the doctor with a smile.  The Doctor was slightly taken aback but kept his composure.

"That wont be necessary doctor.  Give time to those who have a chance.  I shall be leaving now. And thank you."  Sunggyu said before the Doctor could say anything.

"OH  and also."  Sunggyu turned to face the doctor, "Please dont tell anyone about this.. I dont want news getting out.."

The Doctor nodded, "Of course.  All patients' records are kept confidential."

Sunggyu smiled again, but this time it was filled with sorrow, "Thank you Doctor.. Have a nice day."  Then he left, not knowing what to do or where to go.

**END**

Sunggyu sighed as he scratched the back of his head out of frustration.  Then he let out a bitter laugh... *What're the members gonna do when they find out?... No... They cant find out... I cant let them.... No matter how much it hurts... I gotta act normal.. Its the least i can do.*  He sighed once again when he finally stood up from the bench and left the hospital.

AT THE DORM:

Sunggyu made it to the front door of their dorm as hesitated before entering, *Put on a smile.. something.*  Then he took in a deep breathe as he opened the door and entered the room.

"Oh! Sunggyu hyung!"  Sungjong yelled as he sat up from laying down on the floor, "Where've you been??  You just suddenly disappeared." Sunggyu eyed the rest of infinite sitting around in the living room.

"Huh me? uhh i just uhhh went to the practice room cause i forgot something there."  He badly lied but luckily the maknae didnt seem to catch on as he simply nodded.

"Hey hyung.  You must be hungry.  Here have a banana."  Dongwoo said as he pointed a banana at him.

Sunggyu shook his head as he sat down next to Woohyun.  His stomach wasnt feeling too great. *Damn cancer...*  He cursed his disease.

"Then have some water."  Myungsoo offered as Sunggyu took the drink.  He then gulped it down but noticed it had a sour flavor to it which he wouldve been fine with.. But his stomach was thinking differently entirely.  There was a sharp pang as he immediately dropped the drink and held is hand to his mouth while stumbling to get to the bathroom.

Once he made it inside the rest of Infinite was shocked and concerned.  

"Hey Hyung?.. Are you okay?"  Woohyun asked knocking softly on the door, worried about his best friend.

"Yeah hyung.. is your stomach hurting or something?"  Sungyeol asked, especially worried that his prank might've actually caused harm to the leader.

Sunggyu was in the bathroom still with his head over the toilet, making gagging noises.  Nothing was coming out though so soon after his stomach calmed down.

Sunggyu was slightly sweating as he slid down on the floor panting.

"Hyung seriously.  Are you okay?"  Hoya asked as there was stronger knocking on the door and more worried voices.

Once Sunggyu caught his breathe he swallowed and spoke up, "Yeah.. Yea i'm fine. just exhausted."  Then he stood up, "By the way.  Did you guys put something in the water?"  He asked as he opened the door at the same time.  There he found Infinite crowded by the bathroom door, slowly making way for him.

"Sorry hyung... i just put some vinegar in. as a prank."  Sungyeol said apologetically, looking at Sunggyu.

"Vinegar?? Again??"  Sunggyu sighed, "Is this some kinda prankhouse?"  He bitterly laughed as the rest of them laughed along once they noticed their hyung seemed better.

"Is your stomach okay though?  Did you eat something bad?"  Woohyun asked still a little worried.

"Dont worry Woohyun.  Like i said, i was just exhausted."  Sunggyu said giving him a small smile and patting his back. *Thanks woohyun... but i'm not okay..*

Then something caught Sungjong's eyes as his innocent curious expression spread over his face. "Hyung.."  He said as he plucked a piece of white folded paper that was sticking out a little from the back pocket of Sunggyu's jeans, "What's this?"

Sunggyu's eyes widened as he panicked, *Shoot!... The freaking paper!*  He swiftly turned around as he snatched the paper from Sungjong's hand, "Dont touch other people's stuff!"  He yelled at Sungjong out of panic.  Then the room was silent.  He mentally smacked himself in the head for lashing out randomly at Sungjong.

Sunggyu's expression softened once he had the paper back secure in his hands, "Sorry Sungjong-ah.  I didnt mean that.. i... I just need some rest."  

Then Sunggyu left into the room that he shared with Woohyun, leaving them in silence.

"Is hyung alright?"  Dongwoo whispered to the others.

"maybe he was just tired.  We HAVE been practicing more than usual lately."  Hoya suggested.

"Yeah but he never lashes out like that and is serious for no reason."  Sungjong reasoned.

"What was that paper though?"  Sungyeol asked as Myungsoo was curious as well.

"I dont know.. But I'll try to go and find out what's really wrong with Sunggyu hyung."  Woohyun offered as they nodded and decided to leave it to Sunggyu's roommate and best friend.

IN SUNGGYU'S AND WOOHYUN'S ROOM:

Sunggyu was lying down with an arm laid across his eyes when Woohyun entered the room.

"Hyung. Are you really okay?  You never lash out like that for no reason."  Woohyun asked as he sat beside the laying Sunggyu.

"I told you I'm fine. Dont worry alright?"  Sunggyu said without lifting his arm off.  Woohyun then spotted the white paper tightly clenched by Sunggyu's other hand on the floor beside him.

"Then what's this?"  Woohyun tugged at it slightly which made Sunggyu sit up automatically, looking at Woohyun. "It's nothing Woohyun. Leave me be."

"Its obviously something.  You're getting so defensive over it."  Woohyun said.

Sunggyu then stood up and placed the white paper in his drawer hidden under all his clothes.

"listen Woohyun.  I need you to do something for me.  Please dont look at that white paper."  Woohyun tilted his head a little out of confusion.

"Please Woohyun.  I promise i'll show it to you later okay?  Just.. Dont look at it until then alright?"  Sunggyu begged Woohyun.

This wasnt like Sunggyu, Woohyun thought though he couldnt say no to a begging Sunggyu.  He sighed as he nodded his head, "Fine... Promise you'll show me later?"  

Sunggyu smiled as he nodded, "I promise."

"Good.  Dont break your promise."  Woohyun said as he opened the door to leave the room.  Sunggyu bitterly smiled at the door that was closed behind Woohyun. *I'm Sorry Woohyun..*  Then he laid back down to give himself some rest.

LIVING ROOM:

"Well??"  The other members asked as they crowded around Woohyun, curious.  If Sunggyu was hiding something like that then they became extremely concerned and curious.  Sunggyu never really hid something that serious from them.

"I dont know what that paper is... He made me promise not to read it. Besides he promised that he would show it to me later."  Woohyun told the disappointed members.

"Well.... He made YOU promise not to read it right?  So.... What if a different member just happens to look at it?"  Hoya asked suspiciously with a mischievous smile.

"No Hoya dont..."  Woohyun half begged Hoya not to do what he was thinking of doing but the other half wanted to know what the paper was all about so, he did want Hoya to go in there and get the paper... kinda.

"Well if he promised he'd show it later, we should respect that."  Myungsoo said as the other members of infinite agreed with him reluctantly.

"Fine.."  Sungyeol said, "Let's go get ready and get to sleep.  We gotta wake up early tomorrow for practice."  Infinite nodded as they each went to their rooms.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------