Holding On

I’ll Back Off So You Can Live Better

The following day became exhausting. Although I have to stay home and didn’t work, watching Jaejoong on TV was just too much to bear. His secretary stood on a podium at a press conference while he sat behind a table.

He was extremely handsome in a black tuxedo and neatly prepped hair. The room was filled with buzzing reporters and tons of cameras were pointed at his face. He didn’t flinch at the blinding flashes and only stared at the table.

I felt like my heart had been ripped out. There’s that terrible weight on his shoulder and I couldn’t even be there to help him. He was noticeably uncomfortable and wanted to leave already.

The reporters weren’t allowed to ask questions when his secretary started to release an official statement.

“The pictures of Kim Jaejoong and an unknown female is true…” everyone gasped. “They were spotted together at dawn and also captured by camera when they were holding hands. They do have good feelings towards one another and still getting to know each other…”

“WHO IS SHE???” “IS THE PRESIDENT AWARE OF THIS???” “TELL US WHO THE GIRL IS!!!”

The secretary ignored them and continued. “The female’s identity will not be revealed as respect to her and her family. Please watch and support them with warm hearts. Kamsahamnida..." he bowed.

Jaejoong also stood and bowed ninety degrees.

“JAEJOONG-SHI! PLEASE SAY SOMETHING!!!” “JAEJOONG-SHI! DO YOU PLAN ON REVEALING YOUR RELATIONSHIP TO THE PUBLIC?”

I watch him leave with his secretary and a pack of guards. From then on, I didn’t know what’s gonna happen next. I turned off the TV and lay on the couch against my back, staring at the ceiling.

“Jihyunnie… Gwenchana?” my uncle came.

“Mhmmm…” I smiled.

He sighed and ruffled my hair. “I’ll just buy some groceries. Need anything?” I shook my head. “Okay, I’ll go now. Don’t open the door unless it’s me, araseo?!”

“Neehhhh…” I replied.

When the door closed, I let my lids drop and drifted to sleep.

-----------

“Babe, wake up…”

That husky voice. Am I dreaming?

“Baby, wake up… Hey…” he added.

I wanted to stay in slumber to enjoy hearing Jaejoong’s voice but his fingers running through my face just felt so real.

He then leaned so close into my ear. “Wake up my sleeping beauty…”

His sweet perfume woke my senses and I knew he was sitting right next to me.

My eyes opened and there he was smiling down at me. “J-Jae? What are you doing here?”

He pulled away and scowled. “Can’t I see my girlfriend now? I just came from that ty conference and you didn’t even greet me? I’m disappointed Ahn Jihyun!”

“I didn’t mean that…” I rose and noticed my uncle looking at us with his secretary and the maid. “W-What’s going on?” I held his face and shifted it from side to side. “Are you okay? Did something happen?”

Jaejoong chuckled and lowered my hands. “Relax… I’m fine, babe.”

“Then why are they here?” I pointed.

“Yah… Aren’t you gonna say hi to me first? Or at least kiss me?” he sulked.

I smirked and lunged for a hug. “Is this better?”

“Ani… This one though…” he softly pushed my shoulders and leaned closer for my lips.

“Jae…” I muttered under the kiss. “Can we…do this…somewhere else?”

“Shireo…” he pulled me closer to deepen the kiss and I noticed our audience turning their backs.

I have to admit, Jaejoong has that powerful effect on me. As much as I want to stop myself in giving into him, I just can’t find the strength to do so especially when he’s all over me. By the time his lips touches mine, we are just glued together for a long time.

“I miss you so much, Jihyun…” he murmured.

“I miss you too…” I pecked him for the last time.

“You can turn around now!” he said. “I brought her here…” he pointed the maid. “…because she’s gonna help you get dressed.”

“Ehh? For what?” I side eyed her.

“Where going on a gathering.”

“This isn’t the time to go on parties. We’re in the middle of a situation!” I argued.

Jaejoong held my hand and gripped it tightly. “This is not what you think it is…” I looked at him in curiosity. “I’m gonna introduce you to my family.”

That alone made my stomach flip. Never have I imagined that it will reach this point. I know that people who are relationship do it all the time but not when they’re getting married or have known each other for too long.

“I can’t Jae… Don’t you think it’s way too early for that?”

He can see the panic in my eyes and he once again held my face. “Babe… I would’ve done this even before everything blew up. I have no doubt in my mind that you’re the girl I’m spending my life with. Besides, this is my way of protecting you. Trust me on this one… Please?”

I looked at my uncle who was also full of doubts and giving me a faint smile. “It’s okay…” he mouthed.

“Fine…” I breathed.

Jaejoong hugged me and ran his fingers through my hair. “Thanks babe…”