The Storm

I’ll Back Off So You Can Live Better

The maid helped me change into a white cocktail dress and made me wear those shimmering silver peep toe pumps.

At first I hesitated when she started fixing my hair and applied makeup on my face. If people wanted to know me, they should see the real me, not the one who turned into a doll. But then again, I’m meeting the first family. I should at least be presentable right?

After seeing myself in a mirror, I went out and slowly adjusted at my new height. I was so used to my black Chucks that I kept wobbling with every step I make.

Jaejoong saw me struggling so he ran up to me and offered an arm. “Aigooo~ You’re so beautiful, Jihyun.”

“T-Thanks…” I linked my hand to him and he moved closer to me as we walked side by side.

“Hyung, we’ll go ahead.” he told my uncle.

“Yeah… You guys have fun a’right?” Woojin oppa replied.

“Neh…” we nodded.

Then, he went over to me. “Yah… Don’t be nervous. Think of them as Jaejoong’s parents, normal people who wants to get know the person who made their son happy… Just be yourself.”

I hugged him to calm the butterflies in my stomach. “Thanks oppa.”

“Mhmmm…” he patted my back and whispered. “Be strong, Ahn Jihyun…”

Those words left a mark in my head and I had to believe him.

I pulled away and bowed. “Neehhhh…”

Jaejoong also bowed followed by his secretary and the maid.

-----------

Ever since the scandal broke up, Jaejoong was placed under a microscope. Before he says or does anything, he must let his secretary know. He cannot go anywhere without him, he is forbidden to speak to anyone unless his family.

The media particularly became difficult to handle. They swarmed outside Jaejoong’s apartment complex, stalked his family, and the paparazzi also grew in number.

The gathering is set in his parent’s house. I rode with him in his Audi while a black SUV lead us and another trailed from behind.

A large crowd of cameramen flocked the gates and all attention went to us. Although the car is heavily tinted, I raised my hands to cover my eyes from the blinding flashes.

Jaejoong reach out and took my hand. “Babe…” he smiled.

I saw how composed he was and he somehow made me feel at ease. I smiled back.

The guards who were in the SUV’s came out and pushed the reporters aside. As soon as the commotion dispersed, we continued parading into the vast driveway of a huge mansion.

To be honest, I was intimidated. Seeing such a majestic structure glowing right in front of my eyes made my palms grew sweaty. My eyes were literally sparkling from the reflection of the lights coming from a nearby stone fountain where Jaejoong parked.

He came out and opened the door for me with one hand ready to hold me.

Before stepping in, he pulled me closer and tucked strands of hair behind my ear. “Whatever happens, I want you to know that I love you more than anything in the world and you will always have me.”

“I know Jae… I love you too.”

He leaned for my lips and tilted his head as he neared. “For good luck…” he teasingly smiled and kissed me.

It’s always that same kiss which makes me feel the richest, most powerful, and most beautiful girl in the world that every royalty, celebrity, beauty queen would be jealous.

“Ehem…” the secretary cleared his throat and we broke apart to watch him. “Jae… I’m so happy for you. Seriously!”

“Thanks hyung.” they shook hands.

“Jihyunnie… You just don’t know how much my boss changed after meeting you. I couldn’t thank you enough for that.” he bowed ninety degrees. “Please take care of him.”

“The pleasure is all mine.” I bowed back.

“Tsah… This way please…” he gestured towards the tall wooden doors.

A butler opened it and Jaejoong carefully pulled me in with a hand securing my stiff fingers.

I was greeted by a lobby and all I could see was gold. The extravagant chandelier, the marbled floor where I’m stepping, even the antique fixtures in different areas.

I felt so small being in that place. Self pity perhaps? Maybe. Or I’m just that big of a coward? Probably coz it seems like my cowardly butterflies took over me once again.

My feet refused to move at one point but Jaejoong supported me and kept squeezing my hand.

The same maid came to us and bowed. “They’re waiting at the dining hall.”

“Okay, we’ll be there.” Jaejoong replied.

The secretary patted his shoulder while the maid winked at me. “Hwaiting!” she whispered and raised a fist.

I forced a smile and slightly bowed to her.

With every step I make, my heart moves an inch lower to my stomach. I was a nervous wreck and my body reacts as its supposed to be.

“Yah…” Jaejoong stopped and turned to me. “Relax! You’re not getting the death penalty.” he chuckled. “Besides, my parents don’t bite. Tch!”

“I can’t help it, Jae…” I grumbled.

“I understand but at least loosen up. You’re with me and I won’t let anything happen to you…” he assured.

“Okay…” I took a deep breath.

After seeing me shaking my nerves aside, Jaejoong escorted me into the lion’s den, I mean the dining hall.

My eyes went straight to his father whom I recognized right away after seeing him so many times on TV. He exactly looks the same except the commanding aura he exude every time he gives a speech was no longer there. He was pretty much like a normal person wearing a simple cardigan over a sky blue inner shirt and a genuine smile on his face.

God knows how much I thank him coz Jaejoong’s father seemed really nice.

“Abeoji!” Jaejoong walked faster and bowed ninety degrees.

“Hi son!” the gray haired man stood and saw me immediately. “I guess this is her?”

“Neh!” he beamed. “She is Ahn Jihyun.”

I bowed with all the courtesy in the world and spoke nervously. “A-Annyeong haseyo… It’s my pleasure… to meet…you… sir. My name is… A-Ahn Jihyun.”

“Aigooo… You can call me abeoji from now on…” he patted my head.

“Neh???” I gulped and curiously looked at Jaejoong.

“See?” he just nudged me. “I told you my dad is nice.” he smirked and faced the president. “She was really scared on the way here.”

“She should be!” a high pitched voice butted in.

I looked to my side and saw the queen of the household.

Jaejoong’s mother was the exact opposite of the both of them. She was like the evil mother in Disney movies whose hair were curled up and eyebrows raising to the roof. She was the typical nouveau riche and I could sense the superiority from where I stood.

“Who are your parents? What do they do? What school did you graduate?”

She barraged me questions and I’m not even sure which one I should answer first.

“Mom!” Jaejoong called.

“What? I just wanna know what type of girl my son is hanging out with. Now answer me, young lady!” she demanded.

“Mom! She’s my girlfriend! There’s no point in asking her these questions!” he scorned.

I bowed to her as respectful as I can. “Annyeong haseyo…”

She only looked away with a scornful face.

I can sense that Jaejoong and his mother don’t get along. The way he talked back and glared at her was too obvious to tell.

As his father sat back down, they stopped bickering.

He pulled out a chair for me and after sitting, I noticed another woman sitting beside his mother who was hurling disgusted stares at me.

“Noona…” Jaejoong called her attention. “This is my girlfriend, Ahn Jihyun.” he said and then placed a hand on my back. “Jihyun-ah, she’s my sister…”

“Annyeong haseyo…” I bowed exactly the same way as I did with his mom and dad.

She also replied exactly the same way as her mother did.

It was a quiet meal especially to me who had to put up with the whispers from the women across me. Jaejoong ate with one hand since his other hand was under the table holding my hand.

Seeing that I have his dad’s side made me a feel a bit better. He would smile at me despite the mock and resentment I get from the two people inside that room.

“So?” his sister spoke. “Tell us something about yourself.”

I swallowed the food in my mouth and started to share my life with them. “My parents passed away when I was a kid…”

As I continued, the president grew sad while his wife and daughter went the opposite direction. They were clearly appalled at my unfortunate life and I knew it will be a tough fight from then on.

“You didn’t go to school?” the sister asked.

I shook my head.

“You work as a waitress?” the mother added.

I nodded.

“Eewwww Jaejoong! How can you even stand her?” his sister scrunched her face.

“Noona! What the hell?” he raised his voice so I gripped his hand.

“What? But it’s true!” she rolled her eyes.

“Are you really this shallow?” he added and I glared at him but he ignored me.

“Yah! Kim Jaejoong!” his mother pointed a knife to his face. “We have every right to react this way! We are just trying to protect you! She could be a gold digger for all we know!”

Jaejoong stood very angry and mad. “How could you, mom? Do you even realize what you’re talking about?”

“Jae!” his dad sneered. “SIT DOWN!!!”

He followed and refused to look any of them while the president shifted his piercing stare to his wife. “Fix your manners!”

“Look hun! I hope you realize how it will affect all of us when everyone knows what kind of a girl our son is dating. She’s poor, no education, an orphan, a filthy scum on the face of the earth…”

I could literally feel my heart taking a huge plunge and when it landed in my stomach, a pair of hand squeezed it so hard and it's painful.

“MOOMMMM!!!” Jaejoong snarled.

“I SAID STOP IT!!!” his father slammed his hand on the table making everyone flinch. “IN WHAT PART OF FIX YOUR MANNERS DON’T YOU UNDERSTAND!” he yelled at his wife. “YAH! SHE IS STILL YOUR MOTHER AND YOU CAN’T TALK TO HER LIKE THAT!” he told Jaejoong.

“Appa miahnae…” he bowed and sat.

“See what you did?” his sister pointed at me. “You’ve only been here just now and you already caused this much trouble! Disgusting!”

Jaejoong’s father stood and walked out. His sister also stood to leave. “You can take the girl out of the slums, but not the slums out of the girl.”

I don’t know why but the urge to stand up for myself came into mind. My head was down the entire time but I could already bore a hole into the table. My fists were shaking from under the table when my temperature was rising.

But I refused coz I have so much respect for Jaejoong’s family.

His mom was the last to leave and also didn’t forget to part a threatening message. “Know your place young lady!”

My eyes closed.

I couldn’t breathe. I couldn’t think. I couldn’t function. It just hurts so bad and I all could do was let my tears drip down my face.

Jaejoong swiped every utensil and dish on the table in just one motion. “AARRGGGHHHHH!!!”

I just sat there trying to control my own anger. It’s like having a dragon in my chest who’s trying to break free, cutting my lungs with its claws.

Jaejoong turned to me and kneeled. “I’m so sorry babe… Please forgive my mom and my noona. I’m so sorry…”

“I-It’s okay…” I forced a smile.

I didn’t know what I was thinking but I unknowingly stood and headed to the door.

“Babe? Where are you going?”

“Home…” I murmured wiping away my tears.

All the ridicule and hate that’s been bottled up all my life just exploded and I’ve been stopping myself not to lash out on Jaejoong.

He caught up and held my hand. “Let me take you then!”

“No! I can take care of myself. Just…” I pulled my hand away. “…leave me alone.”

He ran in front of me and held my shoulders. “I’m sorry but I can’t leave you. Not now, Jihyun.”

I looked at him. “Please Jaejoong… Let me go!” I cried.

With the way I said it, he knew what I meant. “You’re just saying that coz you’re mad. How can you even say that? Huh?”

I took a deep breath and let out a wave of painful tears. “IT’S ME AGAINST THE WORLD, JAE!!! CAN’T YOU SEE IT??? I LOVE YOU WITH ALL MY HEART BUT WHAT CAN IT DO? TELL ME!”

I looked away when Jaejoong started to cry, and as much as I don’t want to hear him talk, his words were like daggers stabbing my throbbing chest. “Don’t do this… Just stay... Please..."

He dropped on the floor, holding my hand, looking into my flooded eyes. “If you love me, you won’t do this…”

I just stood there watching his tears fall down, watching him beg on his knees. "I will do anything for you. I will give up everything. Just please..."

I moved back one step away from him choking and swallowing my own sorrows. "I don't have anything to be proud of, yet you have everything. I don't have anyone to comfort me, yet you have everyone. I didn't have you before so I'm pretty sure I can survive on my own." then I turned. "I'm sorry Jae... I'll back off so you can live better."

Jaejoong called out my name and I knew at point that it was the last thing I'll hear from his husky voice.

 

- THE END -