Celebratory Dinner

Hey, My Bad Boi!

It wasn’t long before we met up with Suga at the gates.

 

“Where are we going to eat?” I asked once Suga meandered over.

 

Jackson thought for a moment before deciding, “why don’t you pick?”

 

“Hmmm, ramen and Soju?”

 

“At that grandma’s place next to our house?” Suga asked, perking up.

 

“Of course.”

 

“Really?” Jackson asked, whining. “We are going out to celebrate. Why don’t we pick something that we can’t just make at home?”

 

“Because,” I said coyly, turning to Jackson, “she makes the best ramen in town.”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Oh my goodness, my favorite kids!” rang out through the small restaurant as soon as I ducked my head through the door. Before I knew it, I was enveloped in a tight hug that smelled of tapioca powder and beef broth. “Congrats on your first day at Seoul Arts High!”

 

“Hi Grandma Kim. It’s good to see you too. And thank you very much.” I smiled, wrapping my arms around the small women. Once I pulled away, she turned to give Suga the same treatment, which he returned graciously. While he was introducing her to Jackson, I found an empty table and waved the boys over.

 

“So,” Grandma Kim smiled, once we got seated, “it’s a little busy today, so I can’t stay and do our usual routine before I ask you what will you all be having today, so I’ll just get to it. What will you all be having today?”

 

“That’s alright. Just 3 bowls of original and a bottle Soju please.” I answered with a smile.

 

“I’ll have someone bring out the Soju when your food is ready. Getting drunk on an empty stomach is a sure way to have the worst hangover in the morning.” She winked before making her way through the crowded restaurant to the kitchen. I chuckled when I hear she shout at the cooks to make it faster. Among the people on this earth, she was one of my favorites, however eccentric she was.

 

“So…” Jackson started, “she seems nice.”

 

“She’s the best.” Suga stated, sipping some water.

 

We chit-chated about our day while we waited for our food, when suddenly there was a loud thump and some shouting behind us.

 

“What the hell?” Suga said, as we all turned around and got up to see what was happening.

 

It was Yoseob. Sitting alone at the table with 5 bottles of Soju littered around him. He had a firm grip around one of the waiter’s wrist. Without thinking, I ran over and grabbed his hand, wrenching it off the waiter’s wrist.

 

“What the hell? You again? What do you think you are doing!” He shouted at me.

 

Standing in front of the waiter, I narrowed my eyes. “I should ask you the same thing.”

 

“Well, this stupid waiter.” He slurred, pointing accusingly over my shoulder, his voice escalating. “Won’t get me another bottle of Soju! And I am the cust—”

 

“What in the name of God’s green earth is going on here?” Grandma Kim’s voice rang out loud and clear over the din of the restaurant. The silence was cut by the sound of her footsteps coming over to the table. “Well?” she prompted once she reached the table. “I asked for an explanation.”

 

“He’s already had 5 bottles to drink. I didn’t want to give him another.” The waiter said, holding his hands up in surrender. “He also refused to let me call him a cab.”

 

Grandma Kim looked at her waiter with calculating eyes before dismissing him with a nod. Turning to Yoseob, she crossed her arms. “Yang Yoseob right? From that group B2ST?” She asked.

 

He shrugged. “So what?”

 

“So young man. You have a reputation to keep track of. And I don’t thin—”

 

Yoseob scoffed. “Mind your own business.”

 

Grandma Kim opens to say more, but before she can, all of B2ST walks through the door. Doojoon looks around him and seems to understand immediately what has happened.

 

With the command of all the eyes in the room, he leads his group over to where Yoseob is standing. Calmly, he puts a hand on Yoseob’s shoulder and leans in, whispering.

 

The look on Yoseob’s face turns from annoyance to anger, then suddenly, it shifts to embarrassment. By the time Doojoon pulls away, he is already issuing an apology to Grandma Kim and bowing 90 degrees.

 

Once Doojoon was satisfied with Yoseob’s apology, he turned and addressed the whole restaurant. “I’m terribly sorry for any inconvenience or ruckus that my band member has caused. And I assure you, no such future behavior like these shall come from any members of B2ST. Please have a good night.” And with one final bow, they briskly left the restaurant. But it didn’t escape me that Junhyung was helping Yoseob stand.

 

I watched them leave as we returned to our seats. But Suga was wearing a deep frown.

 

I leaned towards him. “You good?

 

“I’m fine. I’m just wondering what he’s so upset about. No one drinks 5 bottles alone unless you are truly in a bad spot.”

 

“Well, I wouldn’t worry about it.” Grandma Kim interjected as she set down bowls of ramen in front of us. “That boy lost my respect the day he stopped tipping. As far as I’m concerned, he isn’t worth any of my concern.”

 

Grandma Kim felt very strongly about tips. She believed a person’s character could be determined by how much and how often a person tipped. I, however was more concerned about something else. “Wait, Grandma, you said that he stopped tipping? Meaning that he’s been here before and often enough that you noticed that he stopped tipping?”

 

She nodded. “Yeah, used to come by here every day and order a bowl of spicy ramen with a side of pickled radishes for lunch. Always had a smile on his face. But then one day, he showed up and ordered a truckload of booze and got into a fight with one of my waiters. Much like what you all saw today. After that, he stopped coming around as often and when he does, it’s only to drink. The only reason I’ve allowed him to keep coming is because I would rather be able to watch and take care of him while he makes stupid decisions, then sit here worrying about him being elsewhere, making stupid decisions.” She fell quiet for a second before shaking herself out of it. Frowning at us, she said, “well don’t let him ruin your evening. Hurry up and eat.”

 

We all quickly gathered our chopsticks and dug in, eager to get rid of the tension.

 

“It’s really good. Thank you Grandma!” I said as enthusiastically as I could around a mouth full of noodles.

 

She smiled, though albeit sadly, and left us to finish our meal.