Final

The Abandoned Dance Studio (Drabble)

 

Sehun liked the calm aura of the abandoned dance studio. Maybe it was because he could escape the rush of his life. Or maybe it was really the only place where he could get rid of his indifferent façade. Or maybe here, there were no expectations, no due dates, no responsibilities. It was only him and the beat of the music in his ears.

 

Some people had books or art or friends or pets whenever they needed an escape from reality. Sehun’s dance studio – well, it wasn’t exactly his – was his safe haven. It didn’t matter if he was dancing with Kai or simply enjoying the little things in life while watching the sunset on the roof of the building. In the studio, he just wasn’t expected to be anything but himself. And he enjoyed that fact because everywhere else, he was someone important.

 

Sometimes, Sehun would regret finding the abandoned dance studio. If his parents and Kai’s parents hadn’t demanded the two of them to return home, if they hadn’t been daring and ran away, if they didn’t take that bus to the outskirts of Seoul, if he wasn’t a stupid middle-schooler and had realized somebody was following him, if he hadn’t showed weakness when his father threatened him for the first time, if this, if that. There were so many ifs to how he could’ve avoided finding that dance studio and exposing weakness in the nonchalant Oh Sehun.  But then, if none of those things happened, he wouldn’t have anything better to do than be stuck in a conference room with people he didn’t know – or cared – about.

 

During these moments of regret, Sehun would try remind himself of the wonderful moments that had happened when he was at the dance studio. There was the fact that he found out how wonderful and relaxing dance was. He remembered that moment very well. It was the second time he and Kai were at the dance studio. He had insisted that they shouldn’t return to the old place but Kai retorted back that they had nothing better to do, so why not? He remembered Kai producing his iPod from his pocket, turning the volume up loud and placing it on the ground. A soothing tune had flowed out and Sehun had nodded his head along with the beat. Kai immediately moved his body along with the music and he produced fluid and smooth movements. Sehun remembered that he soon found himself following the rhythm, his body acting on its own to match the song playing from Kai’s iPod. He and Kai danced and danced until thoughts of home, thoughts of school, thoughts of just about anything left their minds and all they could focus on was the flow of the song, where they should do sharp movements, or where they could just let their minds roam free. Sehun remembered that they both collapsed to the floor in exhaustion after five songs but they shared grins of satisfaction. Sehun developed his love for dance and improved little by little from that day onwards.

 

Until high school finally rolled along and left both Kai and Sehun with busy schedules and no time to dance. Instead, Sehun found himself going to the dance building to just sit back and relax. He was a little disappointed that he couldn’t just get up and dance – he only hung around the old building for ten minutes – but he was still content with the ‘me’ time he got. It didn’t exactly matter that he wasn’t dancing, though; he was perfectly fine with being just Oh Sehun – not the King at his school, not the son of Oh Myungdae, not the possible heir to the Oh General Hospital line – just plain old Oh Sehun, the teenager. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Reminder that this is a drabble and is supposed to be this short. 

Thanks to dreamyflower for answering the huge amount of questions I had and megumi543 for helping me beta ^^