Yesung~Ryeowook

One-Shot Collection "B"

 



"That's it!" exclaimed Kim Jongwoon, startling the pigeons that had gathered around the wooden bench he was sitting.



A couple of middle-aged women walking on the park's paved lane gave him nasty side-glances, their eyes narrowed and noses turned to the sky as they whispered to each other about today's generation of young men. But that particular young man didn't pay attention to them; not after he had finally found a solution to the question bothering him for weeks...

Firstly, allow me to provide you with some background information before reaching the main point. So, here we have our main character, Kim Jongwoon. He's now still sitting on the graffiti covered bench and grinning like an idiot. Why, you ask? Not yet, not yet. Don't be impatient. Now, Mr. Kim is a fine man if you ask me. Not that I personally know him or anything like that (we're not even acquaintances, *sob,sob*) but he's known all over Seoul's National University for his good looks, his dedication to his architecture studies, his wide social circle, his exceptional marks and proper behaviour, his well manners in general. Everyone and their mum have heard at least once his name, always followed by a lengthy list of achievements.



Yes, it's true: Kim Jongwoon is who you want to be. He's who your sister and your aunt's fiance want to be. Hell, even that ajhussi - owner of that corner ramyun shop - wishes he's born as Kim Jongwoon in his next life.

Okay - ahem... - you got the image. There, there, don't cry. Not everyone can be like that. If it makes you feel any better, that fellow has one flaw. Here, have a tissue. Wipe your eyes and snot before I continue... That's a good girl (or boy, idk).



As I was saying, there is one variable that, when squeezed between the components of Jongwoon's life formula, everything accounted before goes down the drain. Name of variable: Kim Ryeowook, Mr. Perfect's boyfriend. Homoual is among all of Kim Jongwoon's other titles.

They met when Ryeowook moved from Incheon to Seoul in order to attend University (on a scholarship, that tiny human being!). Jongwoon was already on his third year and ever being the representative of good-will, he kindly - and quite eagerly might I add - offered to show the kid around. I think we're all guessing the conclusion of that tour... And so, almost two years of relationship later, the older man was studying for his Master degree, while Ryeowook was a proud student of the Department of Arts, majoring in Classical Music Composing. Lovely.



Watching Jongwoon act like a love struck school-girl around campus is a fun activity to pass the time. Especially when we get to witness how that midget has him wrapped around his little finger. Without even trying! It's as if he is the antidote to Kim's coolness: just one look and the other is reduced to a mumbling mass of goo. They're a matching couple, I don't say otherwise. Ah... I guess the transformation of no.1 cool guy from, erm... well, cool guy, to a lovesick puppy, surprised all of us. We never joke about it in front of him though. Or else, we risk getting pierced by the immense stare of death. Nobody wants that, good Heavens, no!

Of course, with their common future so likely ahead of them, Jongwoon wants to make some kind of an official statement that they're serious about it. That's what he said! I hope he won't do anything too weird... I believe that's what he's pondering on: how to make that statement. And, oh, look! He's leaving. After 47 minutes sitting on the same place, Kim Jongwoon has finally made up his mind.


 




That's what I'm going to do! Why haven't I thought about it before?



His smile was still wide on his face as he was cheerfully striding to the closest tram station. Softly whistling one of Ryeowook's favourite piano melodies, Jongwoon boarded the public transport which would take him back to the student dorms.

Feeling as if a weight has been lifted off his shoulders, the black-haired man was carefully organising his plan of action and almost missed his stop. Darting up, he pressed the forced halt button with all his might, bowing apologetically to the elementary school girls on whom he had bumped. He managed to walk back to his room without any major accidents on the way, his eyes gleaming all along. Jongwoon was about to unlock the door when the voice of his neighbor forced him to pause his hand on mid-air. His metallic turtle keychain - courtesy of his boyfriend - swinging back and forth, he turned to look at the approaching man who had greeted him with a very kind "Hey. You look stupid".



"Hello to you too, Kyuhyun."



Mr. I'm-a-ing-genious-with-computers-and-everything-that-has-buttons, was smirking at him, completely forgetting about the bucket of vanilla ice-cream slowly but steadily melting in the super-market bag he was carrying.



"So..." he started and cleared his throat with fake effort. "You're shining brighter than a brand new PlayStation 3. What's up?"



He wiggled his eyebrows and clacked his tongue, expecting juicy information.



"I decided what to do for Ryeowook," the older murmured since he knew the kid wouldn't stop pestering him until he'd confess everything.



Kyuhyun exhaled loudly and shook his head fervently.



"For Ryeowook? For? Why not to Ryeowook? Why didn't you decide what to do to him?"



Feeling blood rushing to his cheeks, Jongwoon hurried to get in his tiny apartment, leaving the other student complaining in the hallway about how "Hyung was no fun"... He took off his shoes and hang his jacket on the hooks behind the room's door, then pulled the curtains aside to reveal the view he had of the quiet neighborhood. He stretched his arms over his head and bend left and right.



Gotta take care of the details. Down to the last one...



Determined to devise the whole thing perfectly, he picked his mobile to call for reinforcements. After five monotonous beeps, his trusty roommate's voice was heard through the speaker.



"Hello?"

"Jungsoo, I need your help..."


 


 

 
It was a warm Saturday evening, one week later, and the streets were buzzing animatedly. Such a mellow hour that was. The sun was on its setting course and the orange light it was emitting, had everything bathed and transformed into a scenery reminiscent of our childhood years; of bicycle rides with friends and of mothers waiting patiently at home with a glass of cold, handmade lemonade beside them. An hour just ideal for long awaited get-togethers or planned group exits; spontaneous walks and romantic dates. The list goes on and on.
 
In one of the many coffee shops adorning that street, Jongwoon was sitting. And opposite from him on the small, round table, was the cause of his happiness. Currently munching away at a blueberry muffin and occasionally sipping his iced macchiato, Ryeowook was aware of the other man's loving gaze on him. He looked up and the corners of his mouth curled at the sight of Jongwoon's triple chocolate ice cream melting down on the glass bowl. The short man swallowed his bite and wiped away a few persistent bread-crumbs that were lingering on his chin.
 
 
"Will you tell me now what kind of special occasion is tonight?"
 
 
Jongwoon shook twice his head as he kept his chin resting on his palm, and smiled.
 
 
"I'll show you."
 
"Hmm..." Ryeowook hummed and shifted on his chair, curiosity having various scenarios forming in his head.
 
 
He nibbled at the small fruits covering the remains of his treat, commenting on how it was strange they were at a place like this shop.
 
 
"You're always going on about how we shouldn't waste money on these things since my culinary skills are - according to you - exquisite. No?"
 
 
The younger tilted his head and blinked his big eyes at his boyfriend. Jongwoon cleared his throat, careful not to ruin the surprise.
 
 
"All rules have their exceptions."
 
 
Ryeowook thought about it for a couple of seconds and took another gulp of coffee. 
 
 
"Except one."
 
 
He narrowed his eyes at the older's riddles, demanding to know what in the world Jongwoon was talking about. The black-haired man gave him a wider smile and leaned forward to ruffle Ryeowook's brown hair.
 
 
"What else? My love for you," he proudly stated and nodded several times, as if he had just proven a difficult mathematics problem.
 
 
The younger laughed at the man's cheesiness. Nevertheless, his heart fluttered, his insides all warm and fuzzy. Deep inside, he was a er for Jongwoon's sweetness. Casting his eyes down, he bit his lower lip to keep the grin threatening to spread on his face.
 
 
"Oh? Is that a rule?" he teased after collecting himself.
 
"Of course. Supported by all natural laws. One cannot defy it. No, no, no."
 
 
Ryeowook stared amused at the older, silently admiring the fact that Jongwoon wasn't afraid to proclaim his feelings for the whole world to hear. Kindly pointing out that the chocolate ice cream had almost turned into thick soup, he hurried the other man to finish it before it was a complete waste of money indeed.
 
They didn't spend but a few minutes more there as Jongwoon urged the younger to stand up after he had offered to pay for both of them. Despite Ryeowook's pouting lips and mumbling about how that wasn't fair in the least bit, the black-haired man gave a couple of won bills to the waitress and bid her good-night. His arm resting on the shorter man's shoulders, Jongwoon proposed that they'd walk down the lively road.
 
 
Small talking about due-dates and credits as the casually strode among the sea of people, it seemed that they were just aimlessly walking. But Jongwoon had his plan. And he knew that, even though the younger looked like he had his full attention on him, he was actually searching with the corner of his eye for any signs of the oh-so-mysterious surprise. His heart now beating faster, the older gently pushed Ryeowook an they turned left to the lighten up junction. The brunet gave aside-glance to his boyfriend through narrowed eyes, his curiosity steadily building up.
 
The long street they had turned to was less crowded and live music could be heard from somewhere in the distance - one of the many artists that were in every corner of Seoul's entertainment districts.
 
 
"Are we there yet?" asked the younger, continuously tugging at Jongwoon's sleeve.
 
 
The other man didn't answer but only kept walking, his steps rapidly following the one the other. At the end of the rows of buildings and shops, the greenery of a small park could be seen. Night flowers were in full bloom, filling the air with a soft, sweet scent. The trees and bushes were arranged to a circular shape, leaving the middle bare. There, a couple of stone benches were placed, facing the center of the construction where the marble bust of a war hero was standing proudly. Not all the lamb posts were functioning and Ryeowook nervously looked around, his eyes darting from one dark corner to another.


"Hyung," he started, "don't you think it's too late for us to be in a place like this? You know what types of people lurk..."


Momentarily tightening his arm around the younger, Jongwoon then pulled back.


"It's not that scary. Wait here for a sec."


And with that, he disappeared among the trees ahead of them. Ryeowook froze like an abandoned kitty in the middle of the paved ground. Pushing himself not to think about all the incidents they'd occasionally hear about at the evening news, the short male started humming a melody.

It was one of the few pieces he had practiced for exams that he enjoyed playing still, without having the pressure upon him. It was also one of the few his boyfriend could actually hum along with. Ryeowook had to admit it: as much as Jongwoon was perfect to his eyes, he had issues with rhythm and tempo. Smiling at himself as he recalled the older's failed attempts to learn at least "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" on piano, Ryeowook felt less in danger. He searched with his eyes towards the direction Jongwoon had went off to.


The sky above the tree tops had a strange glow; even though it was well past nine o'clock, an orange hue was spread over the blackness. The young man blinked a couple of times, not sure if his vision was playing tricks to him. Because there, strikingly making a difference with the greens, oranges and blacks of the surroundings, a few dozens of balloons had suddenly appeared.

Purple balloons.

Eyes wide with amazement and mouth forming a perfect "O", Ryeowook watched the floating objects.


"Pretty cool, huh?"


The older reappeared and, shaking some leaves off his jacket, he went by the other man's side. He was grinning, evidently proud about what he had come up with.

Ryeowook took in the sky till the last balloon was blown away by the gentle breeze and only tiny spots were barely visible. Like a guardless flock of sheep, Jongwoon's surprise was pretty and gone since there was nothing to hold it down. All had vanished but... not quite.

Wanting to thank the black-haired man for something so unexpected, momentary and special at the same time, Ryeowook turned to face him. He didn't say anything though, only tipped his head in question. One last balloon was floating behind the older's back, a string keeping it a little above the ground held in the man's hand.


"Hyung?"


Jongwoon bit his lip and averted his gaze, too preoccupied with tying a perfectly proportioned bow with the end of the string.


"You know...this," he mumbled, "this is for you..."


He extended his arm, offering the purple balloon to the shorter male who got it with a puzzled expression.


"Won't you let it go?" he asked, perplexed as to why Jongwoon had still his fingers wrapped tightly around the poor string.

"Well... you see..."


The older took a deep breath and looked up, his cheeks tinted pink. Biting his lip once again, he opened his palm and revealed a small shining object hanging from the bow. Ryeowook caught it as it was swinging back and forth, raising it to his eye level.


"A ring?"


He examined it thoroughly, twisting and turning it on his palm and narrowing his eyes to read the engraved on the inner side.


"JW~RW..." he spelled and his mouth slowly shifted to a crooked smile.

"What's this for?"


Uncomfortably balancing his weight on his feet, Jongwoon cleared his throat, attempting to explain his thoughts and views of the future. Of how he'd love for them to be together for many more years, to move in a small apartment with all their turtles, dogs and goldfish. And of how Jongwoon would like to stop talking now because this was too embarrassing.

The younger chuckled and there was silence for a few moments as the black-haired man was breathing hard and feeling the blood pulsating frantically under the skin of his neck. Mustering enough courage, he took Ryeowook's wrist and then the simple, metallic band. Despite shaking a bit, he managed to wear it to his boyfriend's middle finger of the left hand, where he knew it wouldn't be of any hindrance while playing the piano.


"I have one too..." he said and patted all of his pockets, finding his own ring in the back of his jeans.

"Can I?"


The younger twiddled his fingers expectantly in front of Jongwoon's nose and blinked cutely. Sighing, the other man handed him the small piece of jewelry and outstretched his hand, waiting for him to put around his finger the identical ring. Ryeowook held both their hands up after he had done so, a bright smile enhancing his round cheekbones and making the gap between his upper front teeth look more adorable than usually. The metal was shining every time the young man would turn their hands to a different angle.


"Thank you," he softly spoke, his dark brown orbs focused on their matching rings.

"Mhmm..."


Entwining their fingers, the two men left the deserted park, wordlessly walking the road back to the student residences. This time Ryeowook didn't hide his grin. Yes, Kim Jongwoon was cheesy and awkward as hell when it came to his boyfriend. Yes, he had strange ways to express his feelings as well as strange timing but he was doing it nevertheless. And all that and many more weird, little things didn't matter.


Why should they?

That guy had just gotten in that huge trouble only for giving one ring. And it isn't even silver...

Let's be honest. Being absolutely normal wouldn't be any fun, now, would it?
 
 

 

Would have posted it earlier, but what with EXO's comeback, Henry's solo announcement and feels in general, I didn't. But tada~ today. I was about to finish this when I thought of a slightly different ending. So I wrote it. It's only the second half that's different, and it starts from where I have that line in bold in the text above. Probably it'll be posted tomorrow.

And, yay, balloons 8D I was rewatching SuJu's MVs and "No Other" is still one of my favourites~~~ Yesung's looks awesome there <3 but then again, when doesn't he look awesome?