Fingers Intertwined.

Someone Met By Chance

Just a few steps and he could reach her. The transparent glass of the jewelry shop that kept them distant was obnoxious. His eyes saw through the large glass with words 'La Rie Jewelry' adhered onto it. Even though he knew Jiyeon wasn't working as a jewelry salesperson, but the effort they put into their work was the same. She looked brighter today, with the sunshine embrossing her hair with purple ribbons. Purple, her favourite colour. A smile graced her lips as she showed the customer another pair of wedding rings. It made her different from the person he met that night.

Customer. The thought struck his mind, as if it was a bolt of lightning coming from the sky, enlightening him. Finally, he found a way. A way to talk to her again; Hearing her chirpy voice vibrating her eardrums, catching the scent of lavender perfume she fancied wearing or maybe, just maybe, have her back again.

Gathering every ounce of his courage, he lifted his heavy legs to the store. His heart was pounding furiously, splitting itself into two. One worrying if he would freak her out again, another one longing to see her. Each was fighting a place for itself. The latter eventually won and he stepped into the jewelry store. A streak of anxiety gushed through his nerves as he struggled to speak to the gorgeous person before his eyes.

"Good morning, sir. What would-" she broke off when she noticed it was the eccentric man who hugged her that night. She recoiled in horror. "What are you doing here?"

"I j-just wanted to apologize for what I've done," he stuttered. At her skeptical glance, he elaborated, "You looked very alike with my girlfriend, especially when you answered when I call your name. That's why I mistook you as her. For that, I'm truly sorry. I'm actually here to pick an engagement ring to propose to her. I had absolutely no idea that we'd meet."

And that was a lie.

To her stunned mortification, she gave him a brief nod, embarrassed by how she reacted that day. "I'm sorry for calling your a freak as well. I didn't know-"

"It's fine. It was my fault too."

"So you said you were looking for an engagement ring for your girlfriend, Jiyeon. We have our latest collection 'Saccharine Bond' displayed here. Definitely perfect as an engagement ring. Is there any ring you fancy?"

The rings were glittering and shimmering under the bright display light but they were too intricate and iridescent. If Jiyeon was still alive (Which he believe she is as he glanced at Jiyeon), she would like something simple yet symbolized something great. As his gaze raked across the rings under the display cases, his eyes hooked onto a ring. It had tiny, little diamonds yet elegant and exquisite. He pointed at it, "Can you show me that ring?"

Slowly, she drew out the ring and placed it above the display case. Her eyes were glistening with happiness, knowing the the pair of rings that appealed to her the most were finally being acknowledged of their value. "It's our spring design, Passion Affection. Would you like to try it on?"

He put on the ring, examining it up and down. The fact that he was standing here with her, trying on engagement ring was gratifying. "It looks great on you, sir," she complimented.

"I'll take it."

"But what about your girlfriend? Or do you know what her finger size is?"

"Allow me," he said as he took her hand and interlaced their fingers together, "you have the same fingers as she does." She did not resist and he held it firmer, failed to realize the electric sent through her veins by his mere touch. She strained her eyes as everything went out of her earshot. All she could hear was her quickened heartbeat. She didn't know why but it just did.

Abruptly, something crossed her mind; She could see her smooching him on a bench at a beautiful night. Her head was aching ferociously, knowing that she had no knowledge that it actually existed in her memories. She knew it did not happen as they had never met until the day he hugged her but it felt too real. Everything was turning grey. She felt like a ribbon slowly falling to the ground. The next thing she could still consciously actualize wasn't the fact that she fell onto the hard, solid ground but him who held her waist to prevent her from collapsing, with their fingers still intertwining. 

He coiled his arm around the nape of her neck and lifted her legs, leaning backwards a little to allow her head to rest on his chest. Vaguely, she could hear his fast and ragged heartbeat. Was that apprehension? She thought to herself before she heard him saying, "If there's any mercy in you, keep your eyes wide open. You know I can't afford to lose you again."

His tear dropped precisely on her cheeks. Was that a mere dream? What does 'again' mean exactly? Questions kept triumphing over her mind as she slowly shut her eyes and drifted off to a numb oblivion.