Different

Small Fish, Big Pond
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Teacher’s day. In a newfound tradition, the school doesn’t really celebrate teacher’s day. Okay, there is a class party, a speech commending the contributions of teachers to the school and suchlike. However, there’s no teacher’s day concert and no formal classes. They release us ridiculously early, to give us time to go back to our previous schools and pay our teachers a visit.

 

I set foot back into my previous school. I belonged here. Instinctively, I head back to the classroom that I last used, only to catch myself since it’s no longer used by the same people. My destination is elsewhere. I don’t know where, but it isn’t here. The venues have changed. I turn around and head over to the level with the Year 4 classes, knowing that I’ll come across people I know, eventually. It’s just a matter of time.

 

“Ga In!” Comes a high pitched shriek from behind.

“Gyuri?”

“Ga Innie!” Gyuri grabs hold of my hand and pulls me towards the end of the corridor, “our classroom is at the end! We’re having a class party now!”

“How have things been, dear?”

“About the same as before you left. The class is mostly the same, and Ms. Kim followed us up, so most things stay the same. Except that there’s one less competitor fighting to top the class.”

I chuckle, “Isn’t that good for you?”
“More competition is more thrilling.”

 

Gyuri waltzes into the classroom, very much like the Gyuri I know, while everyone else is eating or doing their own thing. Ms. Kim is distracted by the food. I knock hesitantly. For some reason, Ms. Kim seems to immediately notice my presence.

 

“Ga Innie!”

“Good morning, Ms. Kim.”

“You came back.”

“To see everyone here, yes. And happy teacher’s day!”

Weakly, I offer my teacher’s day present. It’s always a card because I’m lazy to buy a present. Not to mention, I don’t have the kind of money—more like I’m unwilling to spend that kind of money. I think teachers don’t need another packet of chocolate anyway. There’s only so much that one can eat, and how much you can give away.

 

Awkwardly, I join in what is the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter