Notes

Cerf-Volant

Notes on Cerf-Volant

 

Perhaps you were confused while reading this story or perhaps you’re here for pure entertainment. In any case, there are a few points I want to touch on, points that I hope will help your understanding of the story. 

The notion of life after death has always intrigued me, and I was rather impressed by this analysis of SHINee’s Japanese MV, “1000 Years, Always By Your Side”.  In Japanese (and some Asian) cultures, there is a belief that the soul can still be bound to the mortal world even after death. If a death is unexpected, the soul cannot rest in peace and will stay until obligations are fulfilled. This is seen in the MV, where a recently deceased father does everything in his power to fulfill his paternal obligation to his son before finally ascending to heaven.

Using this idea, I envisioned a universe where the souls of those who have died are taken to a place where they stay, temporarily, in ‘limbo’. It’s a space that exists in between the afterlife and the mortal world, and souls cannot cross the border until all their unfinished business becomes finished. In Baekyeol’s case, the “unfinished business” lies in the promise of friendship that they made to each other. Due to Chanyeol’s sudden death, neither is emotionally prepared for the separation. Desperation leads Baekhyun to write letters as a last resort and because this is a world in which miracles happen, the letter finds its way to Chanyeol. It is through these letters that the two are finally able to come to terms with their grief and find the courage to move on.

The fears that Chanyeol struggled with during his time in ‘limbo’ are the same fears that I think we all have felt at some point. Our conscious mind is the only thing that has the ability to assure us that we are alive, so when that is gone, it is impossible for us to ascertain our own existence. Deep down, we all want to leave our mark on this world, and it’s frightening to think that our lives, which seem so immense to us, are no more than tiny pinpricks of stars in the sky. The only way to live on is to be remembered by others, whether by friends, family, or perhaps even a stranger on the Internet who has come across the words you left behind.

Baekhyun’s line “I am proof that you were alive” is a reference to the film Final Fantasies: Advent Children. As Cloud holds a dying Zack in his arms, he declares “I am proof that you existed” and vows to live out Zack’s life in his stead. Having lost someone I cared for, I understand the desire to keep a loved one alive in one’s mind, to revaluate the moments that have been shared and to guard the memories closely lest they fade into obscurity. This is what Baekhyun had to grapple with, the realization that he was now responsible for the preservation of a life not his own.   

Like Pygmalion, I, too, wish what I have created were real and that I could send a paper plane to those I’ve lost. One of the biggest regrets of my life was not telling someone how I felt when it mattered and I guess that’s the moral to this story. So here’s a challenge for you: go, right now, and tell someone you love how much you care about them because it just might be too late if you wait around any longer.

Thank you for reading all the way to the end, and I hope that this explanation has increased your enjoyment of this story. It was certainly a cathartic experience on my end and I've found a little bit of my own 'closure' along the way.