Getting to Know Each Other

The Miniature Trap

Chapter 2

 

Kyuhyun could not believe what he saw. There was a person who looked exactly like a human being but in an abnormal size. He was scared at the same time curious about the creature which turned out to be fifty times smaller than him.

 

He tried to wipe his eyes to see if he was just dreaming, but no. That little creature was still waving at him. His eyebrows met as he tried to move his swivel chair backwards so that he could get away from him. His face turned pale immediately. It wasn’t usual for him to be scared because of ‘paranormal’ things, but then, that was a different case. He could actually see it.

 

“I must be crazy, no,” he whispered to himself as he closed his eyes while shaking his head. “I can’t see you.”

 

“You can totally see me, what’s wrong with you!?” Sungmin shouted which made Kyuhyun open his right eye first then the left eye. “I am real! I am existing, alright?”

 

“It’s just that it’s my first time to see-”

 

“Of course it will be your first time because it is my first time to go here,” Sungmin walked on his table top and sat on the edge of it. “I am Sungmin.”

 

“This is absurd!” Kyuhyun shouted as he stood and as he put his palms on his face. “Now he’s even talking to me and introducing himself to me!”

 

“Hey. I am real but I am cursed to be like this,” Sungmin revealed. “Someone cursed me and now, I am this big. You, humans are always afraid of everything smaller than you. What can we do to you?”

 

“S-Seriously?” Kyuhyun felt sympathetic as he looked at Sungmin’s face. His face was filled with sadness. He sat on his chair and moved forward to see the clearer view of Sungmin.

 

He thought that Sungmin was just a human was as big as his palm. He looked like a real man. Based on his features, he could tell that Sungmin was a guy.

 

“S-So, w-where are you from?” Kyuhyun asked awkwardly. “I-I mean... who did that to you?”

 

“I don’t know. I was born like this and my mother died without telling me anything. My brother is a king in a kingdom far from the human world. And I am here for a mission,” Sungmin told as he looked at Kyuhyun. “And my mission will be completed with your help.”

 

“What kind of mission? Oh, wait, you are confusing me. Does that mean there is another kingdom beside the human world?” Kyuhyun asked again, this time, more curious and more interested.

 

“Yes. And if you are going to ask if magic, wizards, witches, sorcerers, royalty, and weird people are true, let me tell you now: They are real and existing in my world,” Sungmin laughed.

 

“So, am I going with you to your world to complete your mission... mission for what again?”

 

“Aish, for crying out loud, I don’t know. I was just asked to complete a mission which was never revealed to me. I can’t tell you anything. I am just a grown-up warlock stuck in a little man’s body, but I am not a future-reader,” Sungmin stood. “So, are you going to help me?”

 

“Why would I help you if I have no idea about your mission? What if your mission involves killing me?” Kyuhyun asked once more.

 

“I am not here to kill you, Sir,” he laughed. “I am certain that my mission is far from that. I can’t kill a human. And besides, I think Leeteuk will not make me do that.”

 

“Who is Leeteuk?”

 

“He’s my brother who is also the king in our kingdom. He was the one who sent me for a mission,” Sungmin answered. “Are you going to help me or not?”

 

“O-Okay,” Kyuhyun answered absentmindedly.

 

“Great, so it’s a deal,” Sungmin smiled. “Wait, I don’t even know your name.”

 

Kyuhyun looked at Sungmin and lend his hand. “I am Kyuhyun. I am Cho Kyuhyun.”

 

***

 

Kyuhyun woke up. It was already seven-thirty in the evening and he fell asleep as soon as he came from school. He slowly put himself up and stood beside his bed.

 

He suddenly remembered what happened a while ago.

 

“Could it be a dream?” He looked at his table and saw nothing – he didn’t see that small creature nor the bottle. His smile registered on his face until he felt that his face would be torn into two when he further smiled. Then his smile turned into a grin. “It is only a dream! Yey!”

 

He jumped for joy while circling around his room. He was so relieved to know that the encounter of him and that tiny guy was only a dream. Another dream which was so peculiar.

 

What was his name again? Sungmin? He asked himself. “Oh right, Sungmin.”

 

He continued to jump for joy until someone called his attention. “You seemed so happy. Did you dream about someone?”

 

Kyuhyun stopped jumping as soon as he heard that same voice from his dream. He slowly looked behind him, and saw Sungmin smirking before him.

 

He screamed.

 

***

 

“I guess it wasn’t really a dream,” Kyuhyun murmured as he ate his dinner while supporting his face using his palm. Sungmin was in front of him, looking at the soup he was eating. He was standing right in front of his bowl, staring at all foods which Kyuhyun prepared and cooked. Kyuhyun could totally see Sungmin drooling over those. He could not help but laugh despite of thinking that everything was still weird.

 

“K-Kyuhyun, c-can you,” Sungmin gulped first as he continued, “give me some soup? Just soup will be okay.”

 

Kyuhyun continued to laugh while looking at Sungmin. He was totally amused. “Alright go ahead.”

 

“B-But, the bowl was too deep. I was used to eating with my own plate back when I was in the palace,” Sungmin pouted as he continued to look at the bowl of soup then to Kyuhyun. “Please, Kyuhyun! Get me something to use as a plate or bowl. Please?”

 

“I thought you had magic?” Kyuhyun asked and continued to finish his soup. “Why couldn’t you use it?”

 

“Because I don’t know how,” Sungmin answered.

Kyuhyun sighed as he stood up and get a plastic plate and bowl from a mini house which was a display in his living room. Sungmin smiled and  tried to put soup in his bowl. As he finished, he ate. “This is delicious!”

 

“You are craving too much. Haven’t you eaten for days?” Kyuhyun asked. “Your appetite is so big as well. That is why you are very fat.”

 

Kyuhyun saw that Sungmin glared at him as he continued eating. “Ugh, please don’t tell me that I am fat. When I saw you, I thought that you were a fat guy too!”

 

Kyuhyun got angry and tried to put away the bowl from Sungmin, but Sungmin struggled to bring them back to him. Kyuhyun just giggled when he saw Sungmin being so persistent to eat. “When was the last time you eat?”

 

“Last two days probably,” Sungmin answered while tearing the crumbs of bread which was given by Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun was surprised.

 

“Two days ago?” Kyuhyun repeated. “H-How, w-”

 

“Siwon and I were on a journey, and because we didn’t have human money or whatever you call it, we couldn’t buy anything. It was Leeteuk’s fault to give us unusable money,” Sungmin answered. “You are a great cook. What else can you do?”

 

“I can do anything,” he said.

 

“You are too conceited,” Sungmin commented as he finished his meal. He was rubbing his stomach, signifying that he was more than full already.

 

“I am not being conceited. I am just saying the truth,” Kyuhyun said. “Honestly, if only I can stop studying right now and start working, then probably I could do anything. I can cook, wash the dishes, wash the clothes, iron them, bake, clean the house and anything related to house management. I can sing, dance, write, play musical instruments, speak, do school works and everything. I don’t know what more is missing in me,” Kyuhyun enumerated.

 

“Then why are you studying?” Sungmin asked. “Where are your parents?”

 

“My parents are far from here. They are always busy with our business. And they forced me to study because I need to manage our business when the time comes. I don’t feel like doing it actually. I still don’t know what I will do in the future. But I can’t disappoint them though,” Kyuhyun narrated. “To be honest, I am a genius who knows anything about academics and sports. But I don’t fell contented at all.”

 

“So you’re perfect, so to speak,” Sungmin asked.

 

“Some people look at me that way, but I don’t. Something is still missing even though I don’t know what it is,” Kyuhyun answered. “I may have all of those talent, I still am not contented to myself. I need something else in my life besides being perfect, as they thought.”

 

Sungmin didn’t speak for a while. He just stared at Kyuhyun who was looking down. “Aish, what is this drama?”

 

“Come to think of it, your house is pretty big,” Sungmin commented as he stood and toured him sight to the whole house. “But to live in this house where no one lives is very sad. Don’t worry, maybe my mission is to make you happy.”

 

“Well,” Kyuhyun smirked. “I guess not. You were taken here to ruin my simple life.”

 

“Yah!” Sungmin shouted and threw something to Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun just laughed and the house was then filled with laughter.

 

***