Elevators & Powers

Fiction

 

Baekhyun doesn’t like elevators, his imagination, and his imagination while in elevators. He doubts he’s claustrophobic. He just does’t like the thoughts his brain brought up; the thoughts always being along the lines of being trapped and dropping to his doom.

That’s why Baekhyun finds himself in a stupid crisis one late night.

He purses his lips staring at the metal doors. For a moment he seriously considers taking the stairs up to his unit, before contemplating the thoughts the probably dark stairways were bringing up.

When the elevator doors ding open, Baekhyun continues to stare. Hating that people were asleep at 10 in the night, hating his wild imagination, and hating his lack of courage.

His imagination was usually kept down with the sense of reality and logical thinking company came with. A quick look around the empty lobby had Bakehyun sighing. He wonders why the universe seemed to hate him that day.

His car wouldn’t start, his job happened to be three rides away, and he just had to wake up that day. Insults are first to come to his mind, but he takes a step into the elevator and apologises instead.

Baekhyun really didn’t want the universe any madder at him than it seemed to be and have it make his day worse by making his fears come true.

So he chants apologies to the universe and reassurances to himself as he presses the button labeled 35.

The elevator seems to be slower than it usually was to Baekhyun, and he’s not sure if he’s being paranoid or not until the machine actually stops. He panics and smashes at the buttons on the wall, muttering all of the insults he knows. He didn’t think the universe hated him this much.

“, , ,” he repeats, having run out of words. Baekhyun’s sure he hates elevators now. He doesn’t think it’s healthy to have his heart beat this fast, and he might be hyperventilating. He manages to calm down, after deep breathes, and make a quick, half screamed, call to the building’s office because his phone battery is down to 5 percent.

Clutching at his chest, he doesn’t think he’s being dramatic or paranoid. Because Baekhyun’s sure he isn’t claustrophobic, but the elevator doesn't seem as big as it used to be.

He wonders how long he’d have to suffer and glances at his watch. Baekhyun hardly likes how pathetic he’s being. His watch tells him that it had only been 5 minutes, but he feels like he had been suffering for an hour.

It’s 30 minutes later of staring into space when Baekhyun realizes his phone just died. He feels like dying too, staring at the black screen. He slides down the wall dramatically sighing, this was turning out to be the second worst day of his life.

He’s sure that by now that the universe didn’t like him, at all. He tries to think about everything but elevators to stop himself of thinking of the machine suddenly dropping.

Useless attempts the moment the lights flicker out.

Baekhyun has a strong dislike for darkness. Maybe he sleeps with a small light open, and maybe he sometimes turns on all the lights in his unit to calm himself. The dark just didn’t settle well with him, he hates not seeing and not knowing what’s around him. So saying he’s scared when the elevator turned black, is more than an understatement.

Baekhyun’s terriffied, and he doesn’t know what to do. He shrinks into a corner by the elevator doors scrunching his eyes shut. Useless gestures, he knows, but he isn’t really capable of doing anything else. The thought of crying just makes him feel worse.

Baekhyun hates himself for being so lame. He hates the unmanly shriek he let’s out, even more, when he hears rustling and feels a presence.

He’s absolutely sure there’s a person there with him, even without seeing. Absolutely certain that impossible company was there. That is, until he suddenly sees every inch of the elevator empty.

He’s letting out a sigh of relief when he realizes he sees all the walls clearly. Without any of the elevator lights going on.

Contrary to what someone trapped in an elevator for more than half an hour, alone, would feel; Baekhyun feels excitement and and happiness. His erratic heartbeat still present but now for a different reason, he realizes it’s his hands are where the light is coming from.

An ‘Oh my god’ is all Baekhyun can let out in amazement.

He more than likes reading fiction, magic, and powers. More than likes maybe everything about things that science says isn’t true. He’s sure whatever happening must be a dream come true or the like, for someone like him.

He thinks back to all the stories he’s read where the “special person” who suddenly gets their powers freak out and get confused on what to believe in, and scoffs. He’s absolutely thrilled and he doesn’t care about the stupid immobile elevator anymore. He might be even starting to like it, seeing it had kind of triggered his, powers? Freaking out doesn’t seem to be logical.

Everything he knew about the world may be absolutely wrong, and maybe he should be going crazy with all the questions that are popping into his head. But Baekhyun’s always looked at the world differently, and he’s always adjusted well quickly. So instead of freaking out, he’s staring at his hands amazed and hoping he isn’t dreaming.

_____

A groan is the first thing Baekhyun lets out as he realizes he’s on his bed. He stares into the ceiling and raises his hands and examines them.

He doesn’t remember getting out of the elevator. He doesn’t remember getting to his unit, and he doesn’t remember lying down on his bed.

Baekhyun frowns a bit scared, magical things and the like, he really did like. However, freaky things like suddenly getting to his bed without remembering anything is something he never read about, imagined, or was even liking at the moment.

He observes his hands for a long time, and sees his wristwatch is still on. His eyes widen when he sees the digits 11:00. Baekhyun’s not sure if he should feel happy that he’s now fifty percent sure he didn’t dream his glowing hands, or terriffied because he had somehow out and teleported to his bed.

Teleportation seemed to be the right word, unless it was a ghost. Baekhyun doesn’t like ghosts. He shakes his head, ghost stories were things he stayed away from.

He rolls off his not quite comfortable bed and walks out onto the balcony. His heart suddenly beating fast again, after remembering the elevator.

It’s a full moon, and the air is fresh. Baekhyun feels energized somehow, and slow deep breathes later, everything feels normal and peaceful. As if he hadn’t just gone through one of his worst days ever, and suddenly found out that everything that society and science made him believe may be wrong.

But then suddenly he’s being pulled over the railing he’s leaning on and he thinks he’s falling. He’s panicking as he tries to get a grip on one of the bars of the railing, and he realizes he’s not falling. Hes floating, or being pulled up, cuz he’s suddenly seeing his balcony from afar.

Maybe he should be screaming, but Baekhyun’s thinking that it’s another dream come true. Flying is kind of in the list of supernatural things he wanted to be able to do.

But there’s a wooshing sound and he just knows it’s a portal he sees when he looks up to see what seemed to be him in. It looks dangerous, but the thought doesn’t even bother Baekhyun. Everything impossible seemed to be happening in a span of an hour after a horrible day, and he can’t decide if this was the best or worst day ever.

_____

Baekhyun often just accepts everything the way it is. It makes it easier to adjust. That is why he just stares around as he floats through the swirling thing he’s labeled as a portal.

He’s a little bit scared that he’ll be there forever, but he’s convinced, based from all the books he’s read, that he would somehow end up somewhere. Absolutely, positively convinced.

If Baekhyun could be so terrified because of being trapped in an elevator, one would think he’d be suffering from a heart attack after all the impossible things he’s experieced. Glowing, and being into a portal does seem to beat being trapped in an elevator. But to Baekhyun, it’s the most acceptable thing the universe had thrown him all his life.

He doesn’t know how long he just stares off, and takes note that the books he’s read were wrong. Portals don’t make you want to puke, or seem to spit you out suddenly in a second. They make you dizzy, maybe feel a little urge to puke, and feel like a long time and no time is passing at the same time.

Baekhyun doesn’t know if its seconds, minutes, hours, or anytime at all after he was in when he feels a sudden pull. It’s sudden, and terrifying, because Am I going to fall from the sky?! Holy , I can’t fly! Can I?

He’s falling and slapping himself metally because he can’t do anything but flail around. The swirling portal is turning into a blurred scenery of greens and blues and it’s like Baekhyun’s watching a movie fast forward.

Baekhyun’s screaming as he feels rushing air, and he looses his breath a bit. He’s bracing himself for impact, and he can’t help but close his eyes.

Then there’s an oof, and Baekhyun let’s out a groan. I’m alive? He breathes in deeply, regaining all the air he had let out screaming, and opens his eyes.

He loses his breath again.

_____

Park Chanyeol, the fire lord from the dimension Exxon, is under him. Under Phoenix-fanatic Byun Baekhyun.

The smaller male sees the taller’s lips move, and his heart skips a beat.

“Byun Baekhyun.”

Said person’s eyes widen, and lets out a breathless response.

“Park Chanyeol.”

 


IDK what this is.

Sending out hearts and icecreams to whoever you are. Why are you reading this. ōAō

BTW never believe me when I say I'll post at a specific date. My time management skills are BLERHG. zyxforlife should know ;A; And thank you for the two people who upvoted(?) I don't understand what you saw for you to press the arrow, but thank you.