Chapter 4

The Ring

Chapter 4

The Death Prophecy

 

 

Still lying on the bed, Jay slowly opened his eyes when he was feeling someone shaking his body and calling his name.

“Jay?” His mother called, shaking his shoulder to wake him up. “Jay? Wake up..”

Stretching his arms, Jay looked at his mother. She was standing beside him. “Mom? When did you come back?” He asked

“I came back last night at eight, but you had been sleeping.”

Jay nodded as he sat up. “What time is it?” He asked.

“Seven o’clock. Why did you sleep early? You usually sleep till late at night.”

“I got stomach ache.”

“Oh dear... How did you get it? What are you feeling now?” Her mother became worried.

“I’m all right, Mom.”

“Really?”

“Yes..”

“All right. I’ve prepared the breakfast. You better eat and drink the medicine if you are still in pain.” His mother told Jay as she walked toward the door. “I’m waiting you.. Today is Sunday. I want you to keep your promise. Okay?” Her mother reminded her son as she grinned widely before she closed the door.

Jay frowned, thinking about what his mother was talking about. “Sunday? Is there something special today?” He tried to remember something. He then widened his eyes when he had remembered about today’s appointment. “Today is Sunday?! It means that I will meet the daughter of my mother’s friend. Oh God! This is a bad day... I hate it.” Jay mumbled as he got up from his bed.

“What do you mean?” Seohyun said suddenly.

Hearing Seohyun’s voice, Jay stopped walking. Turning around, he saw Seohyun sitting on his chair. “You are still here?” Jay asked.

“Yes.. I accompanied you all night.” She got up from the seat and walked toward her fiance. “What do you mean by saying it?”

“Said what?”

“About your meeting with a girl?”

“My mother has me meet a girl today. She wants me to be friend or get married with her maybe. I don’t know.” He explained and shrugged.

“You can’t do it!” Seohyun said.

“Why?”

“You are mine. You’re my fiance, Jay. You can’t have a relationship with another girl.”

“Do you think that everyone will believe that I’ve engaged with a ghost? They will think that I’m crazy.”

“You can’t do it! You can never do it!” She kept repeating her statement. “Can’t you do something to reject the arrangement?”

“I can’t do it. It’s what my mother wants.”

“So, you have agreed to marry her?”

“Let me tell you, I won’t marry anyone. I just want to know her.”

“It is the same! When you know her, you’ll like her and marry her! You are so annoying!” She raised her voice which sounded like a snarl.

Jay blinked his eyes, he wondered why she became so angry like that. “Hey.. Hey.. Why are you so mad to me?”

Seohyun didn’t answer. Her face was sullen, staring fiercely at Jay before she disappeared in front of him.

Jay shook his head in disbelief. “What’s wrong with her? I can’t understand the way she think.” He sighed and left his room to have a breakfast.

Jay’s father and mother had been waiting for him when Jay walked to the kitchen. He took a glass and poured water in.

“Im Yoona will come here this afternoon. You better stay at home.” Jay’s mother said.

Drinking a glass of water, Jay glanced at his mother.

“Do you know her? She is very famous..” Her mother gave a hint to her son.

Hearing it, Jay choked his water, coughing as he put down his glass on the table. “Im Yoona? Do you mean the rising movie star, Im Yoona?”

Jay’s mother smiled and nodded. “Right answer! She is beautiful and talented, isn’t she?” She walked closer to her son and put her hands on his shoulders. “She is so kind. I can see it. I will never choose a bad girl for you... my only son.” She chuckled as she pinched Jay’s cheek playfully, teasing him like a little child.

“Mom! Stop it!” Jay told her mother. He then glanced at his father who was about to walk away. He had finished eating his breakfast. “Dad? Where will you go? Do you agree with Mom’s plan for me?” Jay asked.

“I’m neutral.. I’ve to meet my client, Jay. My only suggestion is to obey your mother. I’m leaving...” His father said as he smiled, leaving his family to do his job as a lawyer.

Jay could only sigh, watching his father close the door.

 

۩  ۩ ۩

 

Sitting on the couch, Jay held a remote control in his hand, changing the television channels. His face looked so bored when he could not find a good TV program. He then heard someone ringing the bell from his front door.

“Jay? Open the door!” Jay’s mother shouted from the kitchen.

“Yes, Mom.” Jay replied as he turned the TV off, walking toward the door. He unlocked the door and pulled the door open to see a girl standing there. Just by the look on her face, Jay had known who she was.

The girl smiled sweetly as she introduced herself. “My name is Im Yoona. If I am not wrong, you must be Jay?” She asked.

Jay nodded. “Yeah, I’m Jay. Come in...” He stepped aside, letting his guest step in the living room.

Smiling and looking around the room, Yoona said, “Thanks... Your house is so neat, by the way.”

“Yoona?” Jay’s mother greeted her guest.

Yoona turned to the source of the voice. “Aunt Jeonghye? I didn’t see you in along time.” She ran toward Jay’s mother and put her in embrace.

Releasing Yoona from her embrace, Jay’s mother looked at her from top to toe. “You have grown up to be a beautiful girl, Yoona. You can also act well.. Your parents must be proud of you.”

“Ah... I’m not that perfect..” Yoona felt shy to hear it. She then remembered something. “Uhm.. Aunt Jeonghye, I have to attend a photo shoot now. I’ll be here again after I finish it.”

“Why are you so hurry?... But, okay.. Jay will take you there.”

Hearing his mother’s words, Jay looked at her mother. “What?!”

Just by the sound of his voice, Yoona knew Jay was rejecting his mother's offer. She then quickly said to Jay’s mother. “I can go by myself. I don’t want to bother you, aunt Jeonghye...” Yoona rejected.

“No.. Jay has nothing to do today. He will be glad to take you.”

“Really?” Yoona asked as her face turned bright.

Jay’s mother looked at Jay and made a facial expression that told Jay to do it.

Jay knew, he would not be able to protest his mother. This time he had only one choice. “Okay... I’ll take you.” He finally agreed.

Yoona smiled widely. “Thank you so much. You’re so kind, Jay..”

“Hn.” Jay answered.

 

۩  ۩ ۩

 

“I think it is not the right place for photo shoot.” Jay said as he got down from his car, looking at the strange house in front of him. On the door, it’s written Jun Chiyo, The Fortune-teller.

“Yes. It’s not the place for my photo shoot. I just want to know something here.. Let’s go.” Yoona led him to the house.

“I don’t want to go. Go by yourself...” Feeling not interested, Jay was about to walk away, but Yoona grabbed his arm, stopping him in place.

“Please, it will not take a long time. Come on, Jay.” Yoona pleaded.

Jay blew a deep breath before he followed Yoona to get in the house. If it’s not because of his mother, he would never did this.

Yoona was knocking the door, waiting for the answer from the owner. Then, the door pulled open to reveal an old woman with her odd dress. Many kind of necklaces were put around her neck. “Yoona?” She greeted her.

“Hi, Granny Chiyo.” Yoona said with a smile.

The granny glanced at Jay before she let Yoona and Jay come into her house. She led them in her living room and had them sit.

Jay and Yoona were sitting side by side while Granny Chiyo was sitting in front of them. She then set his eyes on Jay, feeling something unusual about him.

“Hey young man...” The fortune-teller called Jay, looking carefully at his face. “Dark... So blur.... I can’t see your future clearly.. You are wanted so much, but not by human... Now, it’s pitch black. Sad to admit this, but your death will be coming soon.” She concluded.

“What?!” Yoona asked loudly, she was surprised to hear Jay’s bad future. “It’s impossible.. How could you say those kind of words..” She protested.

“It’s what I can see from him. It’s true.” The fortune-teller said.

Jay shook his head in denial before he got up from his seat. He didn’t believe at all about what she had talked about. Shoving hands in his pants pockets, he walked away, leaving the fortune-teller’s house. Yoona quickly followed him from behind.

“I’ve told you. I don’t like to meet the fortune-teller. She said my death is near. What does she know about the death? Does she think she’s a god who knows everything?” Jay grumbled.

“I’m sorry. I never expected that your fate would be this bad. It’s just a prophecy.. It can be wrong. Don’t really think about it.” Yoona said as she stopped walking.

“I never believe it. “ Jay said as he kept walking forward, ignoring her words. Then, a rather big pot of flower fell from the second floor to the ground, a step behind Jay. If Jay walked one second slower, it would definitely hit his head. Turning around his body, Jay widened his eyes as his heart was beating fast to find the pot broke into pieces as its soil scattered on the ground. He shuddered when he thought about it. He then looked up to see a black cat stared down at him before it walked away, leaving the second floor.

Widening her eyes, Yoona gaped, covering her open mouth with her hands. She was surprised to watch this incident. Jay almost got hit by the pot which could damage his head or made him badly injured. “Oh ... Jay? The God still protected you..” Yoona said. “Jay, you must be careful now.. It’s a bad sign.”

Jay shook his head. “No. It’s just a cat.. This won’t made me believe in my death prophecy.” He looked at his watch before he said, “I have to meet my friend soon. So, I’ll take you to your photo shoot location now. Is it all right?” He asked.

Yoona thought about his offer. She then answered. “Okay, never mind.. and thanks.” She smiled.

Jay nodded at her. “Let’s go.” Jay and Yoona were walking together to get in the car.

 

۩  ۩ ۩

 

The car stopped near a coffee shop. Pushing the car door open, Jay got down from his car. He had taken Yoona to her place. Now, it’s the time to meet his friend. Jay was looking around to find where his friend was waiting. When his eyes caught Yunho waving his hand from the table outside the coffee shop, Jay closed the door and locked it with its remote. He then walked closer to his friend.

“Hi? Why do you want to meet me?” Jay asked as he pulled the chair to sit.

“Jay? I have something to talk with you. It’s very important.” Yunho answered.

“Is it about your movie project?” Jay guessed.

“No. It’s about you.”

Jay pointed his finger to himself. “Me?”

Yunho nodded. “For what I will ask to you, please, answer it truthfully.”

“Is this so serious?”

“I don’t know. But, I’m afraid that it will be serious.” Yunho said as he thought to find the right words to ask. “Do you feel something strange after you came into Seo’s house?”

“Yeah.. I didn’t believe in a ghosts at first, but I admitted that ghosts did exist. I can see them.”

“Really?”

“Yeah.. Why did you ask about it?”

“One of Seo’s family met me. He said that I had made the right decision when I left the house and found another place for my filming set. He also told me everything, about the house, Seohyun, and the ring.”

“Ring?” Jay was eager to find out more about it.

“He said that the ring was cursed. Its owner would be die and it what happened to Seohyun’s fiance. Even though, Seohyun committed suicide in the end.” Yunho paused for a while before he continued, “The male butler found the ring at the house and he died one week later because of accident. Until this time, the ring can not be found anywhere.”

Hearing the story, Jay thought about the relation of his ring, the story he just heard, and the fortune teller’s prediction. He didn’t give any response to his friend as he lost in his own daydream.

Yunho noticed something different from Jay’s hand. It was a ring which encircling his finger. “Where did you get that ring, Jay?” He asked.

Jay raised his hand, showing his ring to Yunho. “Do you mean this ring?”

“Tell me the truth, where did you get it? I’m so sure you are not having a relationship with someone now. I know you well.”

Jay remained silent as he was confused about how to answer, thinking about telling Yunho the truth or not.

“Don’t say that you...”

“Yes... I found this ring in the room where I broke the mirror. I can’t take it off. Does it mean that i will die soon?” Jay finally answered. He then smiled as he stared at his friend. “Yunho... You’re not the person who believe this kind of mystical things. Now, why do you believe it so much?” He acted like he didn't care about it.

“Because I believe it now. I have a feeling that it will endanger you... You’re in the big trouble, Jay. You have to take it off.” He grabbed Jay’s hand and helped him to pull the ring from his finger. He put all his strength while doing it. But, his attempt was failed. Yunho finally gave up when he could not take the ring off.

Jay pulled his hand away, sighing in despairing. “Let it be, Yunho. I can’t take it off from the beginning. Besides that, I don’t believe that my death depends on this ring. As human, we will never know when we will die and I won’t let this ring kill me.”

“Jay...” Yunho said his friend's name.

“I won’t die because of this ring. It’s what I wanted to say.” Jay said, trying to assure his friend that he would be all right. Deep inside his heart, he was afraid. But, he was not the typical person who would let the fear consume him.