Chapter 6

Delusion and Dignity

Kim Sunggyu came back to his and Sungjong's shared apartment in an almost excited anitcipation. What was going to happen after this? What was the worst that Woohyun could do? What could he himself do about it? How was he going to take Hoya back? Sunggyu didn't know why, but he then felt  a deep possessive hold of his new friend over Nam Woohyun.

 

No matter what....Hoya is mine, Sunggyu thought as he stomped up his front door steps and took out the keys to his door. There was no way that Sunggyu was going to let a slime like Nam Woohyun take a fried of his away. Rich people can't always get what they want, and if Woohyun thinks that money can buy anything and everything, then Sunggyu was determined to show that he'd be wrong.

 

Woohyun...Memories of Woohyun's firm shoulder shot back into his mind. Back there....There had been a momentary glance. In that moment, Woohyun didn't look as disgusting as he once did, he actually looked concerned. It was a look that made him look human, and that was a way that Kim Sunggyu had never viewed the other man before.

 

Stop it, Sunggyu, the man berated under his breath. He probably just imagined it. Nam Woohyun isn't capable of giving such a look, he convinced himself. He had to hate him, Sunggyu did hate him, and so God forbid if he would ever fall to those mind tricks of Woohyun ever again.

 

With that thought, Sunggyu kicked off his shoes and forced himself to forget everything that had happened. He had one goal now: to win. And to trample Woohyun to bits and earn back his friend and respect.

 

"Sunggyu?" A voice called from inside. "Is everything alright?"

 

"Huh?" Sunggyu looked up.

 

Sungjong was at the couch, TV and munching on a slice of pizza. The younger looked at him with a puzzled look. "You look like you're angry about something."

 


"No, nothing happened," he lied. "Just thinking."

 

"Did something happen today? How was dinner with Hoya?"

 

"Oh," Sunggyu said quietly, remembering. "It was canceled."

 

"So what happened?"

 

"..." Sunggyu paused. "Nothing. I got to go do some work now, Sungjong. Maybe later."

 

Sunggyu walked briskly into his room before Sungjong could make any further assumptions and observations.

 

"What did Woohyun say to you?" Sungjong asked right as he was about to close the door to his room.

 

"What!" Sunggyu exclaimed, poking back out his head. "What, how did-"

 

Sungjong shrugged. "Woohyun called me right before you came home."

 

"He...He..." Sunggyu sputtered, eyed wide in disbelief. "He did?"

 

"Yeah," Sungjong nodded, his head cocked in memory. "He was really polite. He invited us to his ball next Sunday."

 

Bastard! Sunggyu wanted to shout. Woohyun had called Sungjong? How did he get his number! Sungjong was off-limits, Woohyun wasn't allowed to call Sunggyu's friends! Sungjong barely even knew Woohyun!

 

"Forget it," Sunggyu declared, voice firm. "We're not going. Sungjong, block his number."

 

"What? No!" Sungjong defended. "Last time was so much fun! And this time we have an invitation!"

 

"It's a trap," he replied. "I'm sure of it."

 

"He said that there had been a misunderstanding, and he wanted to get to know us better," Sungjong recalled. "He's calling a friendly truce, Gyu, it's not a trap!"

 

"With that spoiled mind and body, it is," Sunggyu shivered. "We're not going."

 

"I want to go!"

 

"Well, you're not."

 

"You're not my mother! You can't tell me what to do!"

 

"I'm older," Sunggyu underscored, shooting a sharp look at the younger. "It's not safe. I'm not going, and therefore you're not going."

 

"Sunggyu," Sungjong growled. "I'm going, and that's final."

 

"And I just said that you're not!"

 

"God damn it, Sunggyu!" Sungjong finally bellowed. "You can't keep on telling me what to do!"

 

Sungjong had risen to his feet by now, and Sunggyu was further reminded at how close their heights were. He could still recall the time when he had been towering over the younger by almost a foot. Now, they were almost the same height.

 

"We're not kids anymore," Sungjong said, this time quieter. "I have the freedom to do what I want."

 

Time sure had passed, and Sunggyu closed his eyes in frustration. Sungjong had always been like a younger brother to him. Since always, Sunggyu had always looked after him, got him out of trouble. The world was a dangerous place, but Sunggyu finally realized that maybe Sungjong now didn't want Sunggyu to do this all the time.

 

"It's dangerous, Sungjong," Sunggyu muttered. "The ball, it's....It's a trap, okay?" Sunggyu emphasized his words once more, dropping his tone a level quieter, "Don't go. Please"

 

Sungjong took a deep breath, and said in a low tone that made Sunggyu just know now how much Sungjong had grown over the years, "For once, hyung, I'm not going to follow your commands. I'm going."

 

Sunggyu took a deep breath, eyes closed as he took in the situation. He felt defeated.

 

"You really have grown up, Sungjongie, haven't you?" he chuckled dryly. 

 

"You can't always treat me like a kid, hyung," Sungjong said. "If I want to do something, I don't need your approval."

 

Sunggyu looked like a man defeated. Shoulders slumped and lowered head, the elder sighed, "You really are going to go without listening to me, aren't you?"

 

"I did listen," Sungjong pointed out. "And from what I see, you don't want me to go because you think Nam Woohyun is some evil demon in dusguise or something. Gyu, maybe he really is trying to make amends. Give the man a chance."

 

"But...."

 

"I'm sure he's a good person, deep down inside," Sungjong cracked a smile. "You shouldn't keep judging him for his money, hyung. Instead, judge him for his character."

 

Sungjong gave the elder a brief hug before whispering, "I'll see you tomorrow," and retreated to his room.

 

...Leaving Sunggyu to stand at his bedroom door, in a defeated daze. 

 

When had Sungjong grown up to be so....insightful? It had happened so quickly over the years, and he had failed to notice it. But now, Sunggyu is left wondering just who was the right one of the two. 

 

You know what, Sungjong is wrong, Sunggyu finally decided. It's a trap. Nam Woohyun is pulling a trap.

 

And if Sungjong was naiive enough to not listen to him, then there was nothing left that Sunggyu could do.

 

The man clenched his fists. 

 

It was obvious by now, that he and Nam Woohyun were going to cross paths again in the future.

 


 

 

A/N: sorry readers, didn't have time to reply to comments on prev chapter. but i did read all of them and they made me smile ^^ so here i give you ch. 6!

Short chapter, not very well written, but hey I'm back! ^^ New readers and subs, welcome aboard this fic, hope you enjoy this strange story! Next chapter will be posted soon! 

-Saf