The Start of a Friendship

Conflict of Love

It's been three years since Wooyoung shifted out from Chansung's apartment and rented a small flat for himself a few streets away. He has saved enough money to pay the rent and all the basic utilities he needed. The only problem is the place itself. It's so rundown that the lifts are no longer functioning, the stairs sometimes flood when rain is too heavy, the smell of moss lingers in the air, noisy neighbours and the too thin walls that separate one flat to another.  Unfortunately for him, his neighbour on the left is a e. A nice lady, in her mid thirties, not bad looking, smell good too, but with a killer voice that booms across the whole floor. She usually brings over a couple of guys after midnight and starts having some party.  Wooyoung despises her for that, but he's grown accostomed to it after three years.

 

Chansung insisted that Wooyoung continue to stay with him, but the older boy stresses on the need of being independant. "It's ok, Channie. It's only a few streets away. I will still see you everyday."

 

"What if something happened? What if you get sick and I'm not there to take care of you?"

 

"I won't get sick. I rarely do. No worries, if anything happens, you'll be the first I call."

 

Wooyoung did not tell Chansung how rundown the place is until after the transactions have completed. Chansung almost fainted when he saw the place, insisting once again that he find a better apartment for Wooyoung, but the older boy stubbornly refuses the offer.

 

"Stop babying me. I'm your hyung. Anyway, trust me to be independant here."

 

They've become best friends over the years, but once a while, the whole practice of master and pet comes back just for the fun of it. Nothing risque ever happens between them. Wooyoung doesn't look at Chansung that way. It's strictly friendship and Chansung has also expressed his dislike for anything . They would cuddle up sometimes, but only for the warmth of it. The warmth of being family; brothers. 

 

Three years have changed them tremendously. They are now studying together in Seoul National University, both having entered on scholarship. It was one of Wooyoung's greatest achievements. His parents were ecstatic to hear the news when he received the letter of admission into the university. They came over for a week's stay immediately and Wooyoung's mum managed to make his flat a little more habitable. This was three years back.

 

Today, Nichkhun is taking his first step into Wooyoung's flat. He's not nervous. Heck, he doesn't even know the black haired boy well, other than his name and age. And the fact that he's totally adorable when he bites his lips in an awkward or nervous situation. Oh, not to mention those pinchable cheeks when he pouts. And that to-die-for shy smile. The eyes too! Who could overlook that? It's so big and round; all filled with wonder. Yeah, Nichkhun is definitely not nervous at all. He's excited. Very very excited. And for some odd reasons, looking at Wooyoung makes his heart beat faster and his stomach flutter.

 

It's probably the adrenaline from the whole running-away episode. It's still making him rather fidgety.   

 

"Welcome to my humble home." Wooyoung announces as he opens his front door, revealing the living room and kitchen on first sight.

 

It's not grand, Nichkhun thought. He awes at the size of the whole place and before he realizes it, he blurts out something he regretted instantly. "Back where I came from, this would only be my bathroom."

 

Wooyoung gawks at him, speechless at Nichkhun's bold remark. 

 

"I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to insult you." NIckhun apologizes immediately, bowing his head lower than before. "I didn't think before I said it. I apologize for my rudeness."

 

"Uh...yeah, ok. Sit on the couch. I'll make some tea." Wooyoung says, not feeling remotely angry towards the Thai at all. He wonders where Nichkhun is from. I've never asked him where he's from and what he did. He remembers the Thai currency in Nichkhun's wallet and assumes the blonde-haired guy is from Thailand. As he pours a cup of tea for Nichkhun, he couldn't help but let his eyes stray on the Thai, from those luscious blonde waves, neatly combed in place, flawless looks, to his rather rich sense of style, down to his Nike-brand pair of sneakers. Everything about Nichkhun shouts 'RICH'.

 

"So, which part of Thailand are you from?" Wooyoung suddenly asks, jolting Nichkhun's attention towards him. He's been admiring the simplicity of the flat, ignorant of the stares that Wooyoung has been giving him.

 

"Thailand? How do you know I'm from Thailand?"

 

"Your wallet. I recognize the currency. I'm doing Cultural Studies in my university right now."

 

"Oh, you're a university student." Another good point to note. Nichkhun has graduated from university at the age 18, but he's planning to further it after...well, after the marriage. But since the marriage will not happen, so are the plans to further his studies. "I'm from Bangkok."

 

"What do you do there?"

 

Nickhun's tongue tied. What am I supposed to say? Should I lie? Could I tell the truth? "You say you're doing Cultural Studies right? How well do you know Thailand?"

 

"Well enough to know the type of people, food and all that. Why?"

 

"Do you know about the royal family in Thailand?"

 

"I know the system there is like UK. The monarch works alongside the government, but the role of the royals is just for formalities."

 

"Yes. Well, I'm...." A prince. A spoilt prince who finds no joy in the life I lead and has run away to show how rebellious I am. Nichkhun mentally slaps himself for the sudden outburst of thoughts. Putting in that way, it does make him sound spoilt. Here he is, sitting on a dusty old couch, in a dimly lit living room, with no proper ventilation and thin walls that could crack anytime, he suddenly feels that his act is merely his selfishness of wanting more than what he already has. Wooyoung on the other hand, could survive such a dilapidated life without so much as a complain. 

 

He feels ashamed for what he did, but there is no regret. He would not have met Wooyoung otherwise. 

 

"I'm working in the palace. And they've given me a month's holiday. So here I am." He lies. The truth would insult Wooyoung. 

 

"Oh. Well, I can help you find a hotel tomorrow. I have no classes. We can go around Seoul and I'll show you where and what to eat. Sort of like a tour guide. I would want to charge you, but then seeing how we could get along very well, I guess I can make it free for you." Wooyoung chuckles lightly. "You can sleep here tonight. It's getting late and the area is a little scary at night. 

 

"You have my gratitude." Nichkhun replies. Wooyoung raises an eyebrow at him. "You can drop the formalities too. Treat me as a friend."

 

"Oh, sorry again. I forgot. Thank you, Woo." 

 

_________________________

 

Taecyeon next!!!! I've been waiting to write him.