Haste

Fifteen Years sequel

It's been so long guys~

Thank you all for your patience ;___;

------

The next morning, I finished my routine twice as fast. I had a lot of things to do that day. Checking on my sister, I saw that she was still stumbling through her morning routine. “Myunghee, oppa’s going early, so please don’t forget anything and leave on time, alright?” I kissed her on the forehead and rushed out of the house.

Quickly I headed out to visit the available apartments closer to town. At most of them, the landlords were just beginning their day, which was perfect. By late afternoon, I narrowed down my choices to two places, with our current house in mind. I didn’t want Myunghee to feel weird in a new home, yet I didn’t want the new home to remind her of our old one where many negative things had happened.

I knew that just packing up and leaving with Myunghee could be dangerous for both of us if our father found us again, but I couldn’t bring myself to harm the old man, even if it was for his own good. I had no idea what I wanted to do with him, but I knew for sure that I never wanted Myunghee to see him ever again.

I was completely worn out, but everything had been sorted. I called Myunghee on the cell phone I had bought for her recent birthday, satisfied with my accomplishments.

“Ah, Myunghee, I want you to do me a favour, alright? Pack your bag, and bring everything you’ll need for school tomorrow. Also your pyjamas, toothbrush, uniform… is there anything else? No? Alright, once you’ve packed, meet me in the café downtown. You know how to get there, rig- yes, I know you’re not a little girl anymore… okay, bye.”

I paced back and forth in front of the café as I waited. What if she didn’t like our new home? It was a small apartment, just nice for the two of us to live comfortably. I didn’t want it to be too big because – A, I couldn’t afford anything bigger; and B, chores for a smaller space are definitely more manageable. And what if she couldn’t sleep due to the sudden change in environment? It would affect her performance in school. I worried myself with such thoughts as I awaited her arrival.

“Oppa!”

I looked up and smiled at the small figure walking up to me. Giving her a tight hug, I asked her about her day as I brought her to the apartment.

When we arrived, we greeted the landlady and climbed the stairs to our apartment on the second floor. I told her the passcode, and then opened the door.

“Ta-da!” I cried as the door swung open. I looked upon her face of surprise with a smile as she walked into the apartment and examined the place. “Do you like it?”

Instead of replying, she pulled off her shoes and ran inside. The place was simply furnished, but it had a very homely feeling. I was contented with the place; it was just perfect. It wasn’t cramped, yet it wasn’t a huge place. My salary from working at the pharmacy along with my savings could also afford for the monthly rent without much of a problem. I would still be able to give Myunghee her allowance, as well as get food for the two of us.

I entered, taking off my shoes and closing the door behind me. Just as I sat down onto the couch, Myunghee came running back into the living room. “Oppa! This place is awesome!” She grinned, hugging me tightly. I laughed and hugged her back. “Alright, alright, take a shower and start on your homework, okay? I still have some things to do, so wait for me till I get back. Don’t open the door to anyone! If anything happens, just call me.” I patted her on the head, and she went off to do as she was told. Checking my pockets for my phone and the keys to my bicycle, I locked the door securely and cycled back to our old home with a little metal wagon attached.

When I got there, the old man wasn’t home yet. Not wasting any time, I rushed to pack almost everything in Myunghee’s room, in a luggage bag I found in the storeroom. Not just her clothes, of which I only took her newest, but also her study materials, school things, and a soft toy. I had already packed my things that morning in a backpack, and so I hurriedly put that on, placed the luggage on the wagon and tied it in place, locked up and cycled off as fast as I could with my heart racing. As I sped down the road towards the town, I saw my dad making his way back home in the fading light, dead drunk as usual. I had never been more grateful that our old house was in the outskirts of town and was a good fifteen minutes on foot from the pub. When my dad was drunk, he’d take more than twice that.

After he was out of sight, I slowed down my pace and rode comfortably to our new place, somewhere I could finally call home.