i'll never stop (loving you)

and the butterflies rejoice | a yoonhae collection

i'll never stop (loving you)

 
they meet for the first time in a long while during the smtown concert rehearsal. she's making her way backstage as he's getting his mic checked, and she's half jogging, half skipping, her hair flying out behind her, and he almost has to hold back a laugh because she never did change, did she?
 
"donghae," she says first, still breathing heavily. her bright eyes look up at him, and for a split second, he's catapulted back a few years in time, her in his arms and leaning in so their lips almost touch -
 
"yoona," he manages to utter, and he doesn't remember the last time he voiced her name out loud. his breath hitches, because it's always been her - and he realizes that no matter how much he tries to forget, his heart will always beat a little faster whenever she's around. even when her own heart is beating for someone else, someone better.
 
"we haven't talked in a long time," she says matter-of-factly, eyes crinkling at the sides. she looks genuinely happy, he thinks, and maybe that's more than he can ever ask for.
 
"you seem really happy these days," he nods. "guess i never had the chance to congratulate you." he tries not to remember his months of heartbreak following the news, listening to all the songs he had composed for her on repeat, forcing himself to cry just so that he'd know that he's still human, that he's still alive, that he still exists.
 
he smiles. he tries to let it reach his eyes.
 
"thanks." she returns a smile, and a silence envelops them. thoughts of yesterdays and missed opportunities and what-ifs cloud his mind, and he sees her biting her lip.
 
he inhales deeply. "you should get going." he gestures to her members on the other side, and she nods, raising her hand for a high five.
 
he lifts an eyebrow before chuckling because she never did forget their tradition. he high-fives her and that's when he realizes that there is no fiery tension, no electricity upon contact, and all he feels is a warmth seeping through his bones and that's when he knows that he's going to be alright. they're gonna be alright.
 
"good luck tonight! don't go too crazy," she grins one last time, jabbing him playfully in the rib cage.
 
"i could say the same to you, im choding." and he runs away before she can attack him even further, because everyone knows how sharp her elbows can be.
 
that night, during the ending stage, he sneaks up on her to poke her in the sides, and she practically pummels him to pieces. he laughs so hard until his abs hurt and he watches as she scurries away before he can plot his revenge.
 
he walks away smiling because it reminds him of the old days, back when they would splash water on each other or play tag while weaving through the others on stage, and he's thankful. she may never hear the songs that he had composed for her, filled with vows of devotion and dreams of tomorrows and a happily ever after, but he knows that she is the song that will stay in his heart forever, the melody coursing through his veins.
 
he doesn't think he'll ever stop loving her completely, but the tears don't come anymore even when the nostalgia hits, and he thinks that's a start, at least.
 
 
 
 
 

a/n: hey everyone, i'm back writing yoonhae after a looong time bc yoonhae had a comeback at smtown seoul :3 yay!