Chapter 1

Move On, or Not.

 

Chapter 1

It was late night and I could not fall asleep again. The ticking of the clock bothered me so I slammed it off at 2 a.m. I have now given up trying to sleep and instead began flipping through my ipod.

Tomorrow is graduation. The day I will have to leave all my friends… every one of them. I am going to an all-girls high school. Even my long time best friend since third grade, Lee Kikwang, got admitted an elite boarding school somewhere in Seoul.

I also applied there in secret, but I didn’t make it in. Thus, I’m stuck with my second choice Diamond Bar high school.

I flipped over my bed and hugged my pillow. I cried all of yesterday while taking a bath. My face was feeling puffy and I am sure staying awake like this is not going to help one bit. I had enough of crying for now, but I was feeling stressed. My body was tired but my eyelids did not feel heavy. Something strange brewed in my heart and it felt uncomfortable.

The sun rose as soon as I closed my eyes to sleep. I looked like a swollen blowfish. I tried to muster up my best smile but it only made my face contort into one of extreme madness due to my blood-shot eyes and pale dry lips.

Someone knocked on the bathroom door.

“Jiyoung let me help you apply makeup,” it was my older sister. I dashed and gave her a giant hug.

“My savior!” I joked.

“I heard you crying yesterday,” my sister said while applying some makeup bases.

My shoulders stiffened but I pretended to be clueless.

“Don’t be so down, look.” My sister plopped her smart phone onto my hand.

“What’s this? A map?” I studied it while being careful not to disturb my sister’s make up process.

“Do you see what’s between your school and our house?” My sister asked while applying some light BB cream with a brush.

“Seoul High.” I read in disbelief.

“Right. You can visit him on your way home.” My sister tried to cheer me up with her optimistic voice.

“You’re right. We can still hang out. It just takes more effort.” I nodded with my eyes closed. She was now putting on some eye liners.

Although I didn’t sleep a wink, my sister used her magic and made me look completely awake and energetic. She used some very light bronzers to thin my bloated face out, but kept it to a minimum to maintain the natural look.  

I slipped into my school uniform and hurried downstairs with my backpack. Kikwang was already waiting for me while sipping tea. He lived next door and would drop by so we could walk to school together.

I was feeling sad so I could only smile and act hyper to hide all these feelings. I gobbled down my toast and cereal.

Usually, Kikwang would be watching TV until I finished my breakfast. But these days, he waited for me while watching me eat. At first I was uncomfortable, but now I ate without minding.

He would sometimes grab me some tea which was cooled to just the right temperature. My parents usually left for work very early so it was just my sister, Kikwang, and me in the morning.

The day went in a blur. It was quicker than expected since normal class lectures were not held. Everyone spent the day signing year books and taking their last pictures together. Students were crying in each other’s arms while others celebrated by playing a game of soccer.

Though Kikwang and I were best friends, we were in different classes. Every year that passed, we grew further and further apart. This coming new school year, we would be attending different schools.

‘Maybe next year, I’ll go abroad.’ I thought sarcastically.

Kikwang used to be bullied and I stood up for him and slipped him into my circle of friends since first grade. I don’t remember why he used to be bullied; children are just strange like that. Now, Kikwang is one of the most popular guys in our year. Not only is he smart, but he’s athletic.

I rested my head upon the class window sill. The weeklong rain was no more, but the cold wind still bit at my cheeks. Even so, the guys were outside playing like it was summer.

 For a second, my eyes locked with Kikwang’s and he smiled before defending his side of the field again.

“You’re not going to confess?”

I jumped at the sudden voice that whispered from behind. It was my friend Nicole. She liked to gossip and had a quick eye for anything related to love. She always had lines of boys waiting to become her boyfriend. But strangely, she always remained single and a mysterious existence to many.

“I’m not in love with him. He’s just my best friend and I’m just sad I’ll be apart from everyone.” I said to her, but really I was just trying to comfort myself.

“Well, you have until March. That’s when Kikwang is going to move into his new school dorms, right?”

I nodded and didn’t bother answering her.

“Just don’t regret it.” She patted my head as if I was her puppy while handing me some of her home-made cookies.

“I’m never going to lose weight if you keep making these things for me.” I pouted while popping some into my mouth savoring its sweetness.

She just smiled, “you’re perfect the way you are. You’re a growing girl so it’s fine! You don’t want to be a midget, do you?” She said like a teacher.

I shook my head and obediently ate all the cookies.

There was not much crying between my friends and me since our houses were very close to each other. But, Kikwang would be moving into the school dorms. That meant I’ll only be able to see him in weekends if he decides to drop home at all. I hope he did.

“Jiyoung, sign my year book,” Kikwang’s voice suddenly resonated from the left side. I jumped but smiled. I hope he wasn’t telepathic. That would be embarrassing.

Kikwang, thanks for everything this year. You’re my best best friend and I’m so sad that we will not attend the same high school. But,

I paused writing for a moment and looked up. He was too preoccupied writing in my year book, so I continued.

We still live next door. So, let’s hang out lots during weekends!

I wanted to write, ‘Unless you get a girlfriend,’ as a closing statement but decided against it at the last minute. I put in my fancy signature that Kikwang and I made together and slipped the yearbook back to him.

He was writing something very long. It’s been a full two minutes and he still wasn’t done. I drummed my fingers and looked at the clouds floating by. I began to grow very sleepy all of a sudden. The warm sunlight was beginning to peek out from behind the clouds while the wind felt cooling rather that slicing.

I closed my eyes and rested my head on my desk. If only time stopped. I don’t want to be apart from Kikwang, I thought. I mentally shook the thought off and began to think of other things.

What kind of excuse would I be able to give to go and see Kikwang? He’s an athlete so maybe I can visit when he has competitions. My mind wandered until I fell asleep.

“Jiyoung…” I heard someone coo in a quiet gentle tone.

“School is over. Wake up.” Kikwang already had my bags out from the locker.

“How long was I asleep? You should have waked me up.” I yawned and did a stretch.

“You were even snoring. I didn’t have the heart to,” he snickered.

“Hey! Who do you think caused me such a sleepless night! It’s your entire fault!” I pouted but froze in an instant. I just blurted things out without thinking because I wasn’t fully awake yet.