Regret

Childhood Friend

SEOHYUN P.O.V

I was born in Seoul and moved to Busan. When I was little, I loved to play outside at the backyard of the house. One day, I met a boy who lives just next door. Their backyard and ours were separated by a huge fence made from big old logs. I never realized, at that time, that that fence would hold something special. Back then, whenever we were free, we would play by the fence and talk all day. His name was Yonghwa. Jung Yonghwa. We were so happy and carefree.

               We went to the same school in grade school up until high school but we have never been classmates. After class, we would go home together then spend the rest of afternoon talking and playing by the fence.

               I thought it would always be like that but it ended sooner than I expected. His parents wanted him to go college in Japan. So after graduating from high school we had no choice but to part ways.

               I went to a university in the nearby Busan and he flew to Japan and study college there. We lost communication all throughout college days.

               After college, I found a job in Seoul. I still had no news about him. Until one day, I received a letter. It was an invitation to his wedding. He said he had found a decent job and had been doing great with his life. He was happy he met a girl and she was then having their child. He also said it would be the best gift for him to see me present in their wedding ceremony.

               At the moment I couldn’t bring myself to be happy for him. Somehow, deep inside, it hurt. However, I still decide to go. I wanted to see him again, to see how much he had changed. I wanted…..I wanted to see his dark hair, round eyes and beautiful smile.

               I booked a flight to Japan. During the trip, I was convincing myself to be happy for him – happy that he still remembered me, happy that he invited me to this very special occasion…

…happy that he was going to get married…

At the wedding venue, when he first saw me, he approached and hugged me. He said he couldn’t ask for more seeing me there. After the wedding, he introduces me to his wife and son. I couldn’t let him see me hurting inside. He looked so happu that time. And so I was contented with that…

…or so I thought…

He invited me to dance and I couldn’t refuse. Finally, I was able to get so close to him even just for a short while. At the moment, I wished that I was the one he married. I wished that I was the one wearing the wedding gown – the one being spoke to with his wedding vows…

….The one with the ring…

I went back to Seoul and continued my life there. After two years, I received a letter from him again. He said he wanted to meet me by the fence where we usually play when we were kids. He gave a date and time when we would meet.

So without second thoughts I went back home, to the small town where we grew up – Busan. The place didn’t changed that much.

On the date he said, I was waiting for him by the fence. 6.PM – our favorite time – was what he said but he never came.

After a few weeks, I received another letter. This time, from his wife. She said his husband died in a car accident. I was shocked. That night…

….I cried the loudest cry I have ever made…

But no one can hear it but me.

I flew to Japan the next day and stayed there for several weeks. I was there in the burial up until the reading of his last will. All his properties and investments went to his family. And he left me with only his diary.

During the flight back to Seoul, I was reading his diary. I read how their family managed to put up a company and later struggled to keep it from bankruptcy. He wrote how he was forced by his father to marry a woman was heiress of a rich family and that wedding would save their company. He wrote how he never really love his wife and that is was an accident that he got her pregnant after doing it with her intoxicated from a party he couldn’t remember. He wrote how they often fight and almost got divorce – and how he wished at the time he was dancing with me, that it was our wedding.

On the last entry, it was dated that we were supposed to meet, he wrote how exited he was to meet me again and that he bought a new car just for me which he would be driving from the airport to our meeting place.

It was his gift to me.

I never got to see the car..

Nor did I ever get to see him again…alive..by the fence..

The last line he wrote was :

“Today, I ‘m going to meet her again. Today I will tell her I love her”

Whenever I go back to the fence where all our memories started, I could only recall the beautiful things we shared. I could see his silhouette reaching out to me especially during dusk but I know he won’t be coming back. There is no going back. I regretted everything I didn’t do. If only there was another chance, I would tell him I love him. Just that will do.


Finish Guys.....

Guys I'm really appreciate if you give me some critique and comment ...

Thanks a lot... ^_^