Chapter 2

The Ties That Bind Us

 

            When she got home, she punched in the key code in front of the tall wrought-iron gates, as they swung open, creaking loudly. She stepped through the entrance as they automatically shut behind her and she hastily ran across the grass, taking the steps two at a time till she reached the front door. She banged on the door knocker shaped like a lion’s head, until the butler opened the door. “Miss Im.” He said, bowing and she hurriedly ran inside running up the spiral staircase until a voice cleared their throat from the foot of the stairs. Stopping, she glanced down to see her father in his business suit.

 

“Where have you been?” He asked, in a seemingly calm voice, but she could tell he was agitated. HeeJin sighed. “I was at school. I’m surprised to see you home though.” She said tartly. Her father didn’t flinch at this, and waved his hand airily. “My meeting was canceled. But I have some news for you.” He explained, and waved her to come down the stairs. Huffing Heejin walked back down the stairs to talk with him. She stuffed her hands into her cardigan pockets. Her father removed his eyeglasses and rubbed them on a handkerchief and placed them back on his nose. “As you know I have a new business partnership coming up, and the CEO of Samsung’s son, formally requested my permission to ask you for a date.” He explained, as HeeJin let out a groan in exasperation. “Appa. Not another one please. The last guy kept picking his nose and talked about League of Legends for two hours.” She explained, shuddering at the last date she’d been set up on. Her father sighed. “HeeJin please. I hear he’s very well mannered, and he goes to University in Busan.” He further added. “Great. A college guy who’s probably immature. Oh joy.” She said unenthusiastically. Her father gave her a stern look, wrinkling his eyebrows. “Im HeeJin. Please just meet with him and I don’t want to hear any more complaints.” He told her firmly. Heejin held back another sigh, and nodded, trudging up the stairs in irritation. She stomped across the white carpeted hallway towards the master bedroom, hoping to talk with her mother, hoping she could get her father to change his mind.