An Empty Apartment And A Deadly Bus Ride

An Empty Apartment And A Deadly Bus Ride

 

 

“How sure are you?” he asked, his voice a mere whisper. “I’m more than sure. Listen, I’m really sorry Baek. If I had known, I wouldn’t have –“ Chanyeol was not able to relay his message to his best friend, as Baekhyun had already hung up and threw the cellphone away as if it were carrying a deadly virus. It was a really bad nightmare, and he couldn’t seem to wake up from it.

 

He quickly picked his cellphone up once again and called Naeun. She didn’t answer the phone though, and that’s when he rushed to his car and went over to their shared apartment. He shakily ignited the car to life before driving as if his life depended on it.

 

When he arrived, he was met with a dark and empty apartment.

 

“Naeun?” he called out while opening every door to each room. “Naeun?” he repeatedly called, hoping that she would magically appear right then and there. As if finally realizing that there was no way for her to appear, he slumped against the wall as the tears escaped his eyes. He continued sobbing for a while as grief overtook him, and he couldn’t think straight at all, even when the doorbell rang repeatedly. Whoever it was outside finally realized that he wouldn’t open up, so he took the liberty of entering the apartment; after all, he knew the password.

 

When Chanyeol, together with Kris, saw their best friend curled up on the floor as he sobbed his heart out, their hearts broke. They’ve been friends since middle school, and it was the first time they saw him so heartbroken. Even when his mother died, Baekhyun showed a strong front. It was an unlikely thing to do, but Chanyeol hugged his friend tightly, wanting to show him that he wasn’t alone.

 

Unable to take it any longer, Baekhyun looked up at Kris, his eyes full of despair and tears as he asked Kris, “Why?” He tried to control his cries once more, but when Naeun’s face appeared in his mind, he wasn’t able to stop himself, and sobbed even louder on Chanyeol’s shoulder.

 

 

He wasn’t calm yet, but he finally stopped crying. After wreaking havoc in his own apartment, Baekhyun finally sat back on the floor. He trashed about the apartment, throwing whatever his hands could get a grip on. Kris and Chanyeol tried to stop him, but it was all in vain.

 

He was resting his head on his hands as a headache formed, when he suddenly shot up. “What is it, Baek?” Kris asked with his eyebrows furrowed together. He was ready to stop him from doing anything rash once more.

 

“I have to go and look for her,” he replied swiftly before grabbing his car keys from the coffee table. Before he could leave though, Chanyeol went in front of him and showed Baekhyun his disapproval, “it’s too late already. You can go in the morning; just not now.”

 

“No, Chanyeol! I have to go and look for her! She might still be alive and waiting for me!” he insisted, but his best friends did not hear any of it. “Don’t stop me, you two! I have to find her!”

 

But still, the two were persistent. Being taller and fitter than him, Baekhyun was nothing against them. It didn’t stop him from giving Chanyeol a hard punch that sent him spiraling down the floor though. The three of them were shocked as it was the first time that Baekhyun showed violence. Even when they had serious fights before, it never turned physical. As the twitching of Chanyeol’s facial muscles were noticeable, Baekhyun felt guilty of throwing the punch. He remained silent, too prideful to apologize to his friends.

 

“Come on Baek, go back to the living room while we wait for Kris-hyung to be done with the hot chocolate,” Chanyeol said lowly as he finally sensed that his friend was done raging. Baekhyun followed like a lost puppy, while Kris went to the kitchen to prepare three mugs of hot chocolate for them.

 

He was still feeling the dread, guilt and despair for not protecting his fiancée. He never once thought that he was going to lose her in such a situation; moreover, so tragically. He thought of the things they’ve talked about, of the future that they were supposed to face together. Now, with just a bus ride, he wouldn’t be able to face the future with her. If only Chanyeol didn’t let her ride the bus…

 

You!” Baekhyun shouted so suddenly that the two boys jumped in surprise. Baekhyun rushed towards Chanyeol, his eyes blazing in anger when grabbed the tall boy’s collars and pulling him close and lower to match his height. “You’re the reason she died, Chanyeol! If you didn’t let her ride the bus, she would –“

 

“It’s unfair to blame him, Baekhyun. He didn’t know what was going to happen and you know that,” Kris interrupted before things get more out of control.

 

“But if he didn’t let her –“

 

“He didn’t want for it to happen, Byun Baekhyun. Get a grip,” Kris said sternly that Baekhyun stopped once more. As if waking up from his trance, Baekhyun fell back on the sofa with his hands covering his tear-stained face once more.

 

“Come on Baek, go to your room and rest. We’ll stay here with you. It’s been a long day; it’s time for you to rest,” Chanyeol urged the lifeless man. He wasn’t mad at Baekhyun at all, especially because he partly blames himself for Naeun’s death too. If he had taken her home using his car instead of letting her go back home riding the bus, she would have been alive still.

 

Tiredly and lifelessly, Baekhyun trudged to his room, uncaring for anything that was going on aside from the fact that he wouldn’t see his fiancée ever again. Kris, knowing that his friend would have a hard time going to sleep, gave him a sleeping pill to assist him in sleeping. Within moments, the grieving man fell asleep, a lone tear slipping through his closed eyes.

 

 

He woke up the next morning due to a commotion going on in his living room. He was confused at first, then he remembered about his best friends staying the night over because he was grieving. Chanyeol was shouting loudly and cheerfully, and he was somehow confused by what was going on. He heard a female’s voice in the living room, seemingly too familiar and he found it creepy, especially when just the night before, he received news about her death.

 

Was he hallucinating? Or was he still asleep?

 

He didn’t have enough time to think about it, as Kris had already broken inside his room, urging Baekhyun to come with him. He followed, confusion still lingering as he tried to shake the sleepiness off. He did a double take when he finally saw the woman’s figure that was scolding Chanyeol.

 

“Chanyeol-ah, what happened last night, huh? You’re still not answering me!” the woman whined, although she remained poised and graceful in Baekhyun’s eyes. “And why are you bruised?”

 

Naeun-ah! Y-you’re alive!” Chanyeol was shouting over and over again, seemingly disbelieving the fact that the girl was well and alive.

 

“Well, duh? I’m standing in front of you, am I not?” she muttered boringly, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. “Answer me now, Park Chanyeol, what happened for my apartment to be trashed like th—“

 

Naeun?” Baekhyun called out softly. The soft and sad voice made her turn around, and she could only gasp in surprise as she looked at Baekhyun’s swollen eyes and messy figure. It was out of the ordinary, as Baekhyun always ensure that he is in top condition.

 

“What happened to you, Baekhyun? What happened?” She asked.

 

“Are you really here or… am I hallucinating?” he whispered.

 

“What’s up with all of you? When Kris opened the door, he had a surprised expression on his face. Then when Chanyeol saw me, he kept on muttering questions and expressions that point out to me being alive and then there’s you who’s asking me if I’m really here or if you’re simply hallucinating! Yah! Are you three on drugs?!” She ranted. Baekhyun’s lips slowly broke into a relieved smile. He walked over to her with tears streaming down his face, relieved that his beloved was standing before him. He took her in his arms, hugging her so tightly, “You don’t know how relieved I am to see you here, baby. Thank you. Thank you for returning back to me. I love you so much.”  

 

“Wait, what’s happening?” she asked, confused by the events. She looked at Kris for answers, as he was the only one calm enough to be able to explain whatever it was that was happening. He recounted the story to her, and she could only thank the heavens for the luck that was on her side the day before. The four of them took a seat, with Chanyeol demanding for her to explain what happened. Baekhyun held her hand all throughout, seemingly in a daze ‘til then. The shock and sadness was too much for him to handle, and he could only squeeze her hand to show that he was listening.

 

“I actually stepped off the bus on the next stop, Chanyeol,” she started to explain. “I didn’t tell you because I thought that it was unnecessary. I only thought of transferring buses because the driver of the first bus I rode was too reckless. And I didn’t tell you because I was planning to go to my bachelorette party, and I knew that you would tell Baek, and I didn’t want you to… not because I was doing something wrong; it’s just that we were in a fight, so I wanted to get back at him by not saying where I was,” She informed them guiltily. “I left you a voice message though, Baek, telling you not to worry and that I’m okay and that I’ll be back in the morning. And I didn’t know about the accident, so I didn’t think of calling you once more to confirm that I’m fine. And when you didn’t answer my calls earlier, I thought that you were too mad and that you didn’t’ want to talk to me. I’m sorry Baek,” she told him. Baekhyun squeezed her hand once more, unable to speak as his emotions were still raw.

 

“He may have not checked his phone, Naeun,” Chanyeol answered for his best friend. “He was too heartbroken to think of anything else.” Naeun simply nodded in reply.

 

“We’ll leave you two alone now, okay?” Kris informed the couple before he and Chanyeol stood up to hug them. “We’re so glad to know that you’re alive and unscathed.” Kris told Naeun once they were by the door. Baekhyun remained seated, as Naeun instructed.

 

“Thank you, Kris, Chanyeol. I appreciate that you took care of Baek,” Naeun thanked them appreciatively.

 

“That boy… he loves you so much,” Chanyeol whispered.

 

“I know, and I’m lucky that he’s in love with me,” Naeun answered with a small smile. With one last hug, she closed the door behind them and went back to Baekhyun, kneeling on the floor in front of him. “Baby?”

 

Baekhyun looked at her in the eyes before reaching over and touching both her cheeks, “I love you so much, Naeun. Please don’t leave me; I’ll be crazy.”

 

She gave him a comforting smile before hugging him tightly, putting everything she needed to say on the hug, “I promise that I won’t leave you. I love you too much to even think about it. And I also promise to inform you where I’ll go the next time. And to update you of where I am.”

 

He still could not be comforted, so she decided not to go to work and just stay home with him. They cuddled all day and finally, Baekhyun returned to his own self. He was smiling and joking once more, and Naeun laughed at everything he was saying. They shared kisses and smiles, not letting go of each other’s hands.

 

“Naeun, I’m so sorry, eh?” Baekhyun apologized when they were about to sleep. He shifted to lean his head on hers while hugging her tightly. He entwined their fingers together as he gave her light kisses on her cheek, showing her how important she was in his life.

 

“Why?”

 

“Just… I’m sorry. You’ll never forget me, right? And you’ll always love me?” he asked, wanting to be assured once more.

 

“Of course. I promised, didn’t I? I’ll love and never forget you, Baekhyun,” she answered before leaning closer and kissing him on the lips tenderly.

 

“Good; I’m so happy,” he replied with a small smile. “I love you baby.”

 

“I love you too. I can’t wait for us to be married.” With that, the two of them slept peacefully, assured that they weren’t wrong to pick each other as their life partners.

 

 

Naeun woke up the next morning without Baekhyun beside her. His side of the bed was straightened, as if no one slept there at all.  Judging Baekhyun though, she thought that he woke up early and arranged his side to at least lessen what she has to do. Besides, it was almost noontime, so it was only natural for him to be awake while she had always woken up late.

 

She walked out of their room after washing her face and brushing her teeth, thinking of what to prepare for their lunch. She was sure that Baekhyun had already gone to work, and she wanted to surprise him by visiting and giving him the lunch she made. As she was walking towards the kitchen, the doorbell rang and she immediately went to answer it.

 

“What are you three doing here?” She asked. “Did Baekhyun invite you?”  

 

Chanyeol and Kris looked at each other while Jiyoon walked over to her, her expression gloomy.

 

“Naeun, don’t be in denial, please…” she pleaded. Naeun could only wonder what she meant by that.

 

“I was just asking what you’re doing here and if Baek invited you,” she answered with a light chuckle.

 

“But Naeun…” Kris wanted to tell her then and there once more, but he stopped, not wanting to be the one to break the news to her again. It was already hard to tell her the night before; he couldn’t just do it again.

 

“We want you to accept it, Naeun,” Jiyoon told her as she hugged her best friend tightly.

 

“You… don’t make any sense…” Naeun scrunched up her face in confusion, and she could only look at Baekhyun’s friends for answers. They looked away though, so she couldn’t get her answers from them. “Okay, what’s happening?” She finally asked.

 

“You’re… you’re never going to see him again, Naeun,” Chanyeol whispered. He didn’t want to say it himself, but someone had to tell her once more. She already received the news, but she might have been denying the fact because it was too much to handle and she couldn’t accept it yet.

 

“What are you saying?”

 

“Don’t you remember the phone call you received last night?” Chanyeol asked. Naeun racked her mind, and when she finally remembered about it, she trembled and almost fell to her feet, if not for Jiyoon who caught her in time.  

 

“He’s fine, isn’t he?” She asked them, although she knew what their answers would be.

 

“Come on, take a seat,” Kris led her gently to the sofa while Jiyoon took a glass of water for her, concerned about her wellbeing.

 

“Please tell me that he’s okay,” she pleaded. As much as they wanted to tell her that he was okay and would return, they couldn’t; the three knew that he won’t be back.

 

“Naeun-ah, there’s no way for him to go back,” Kris’ statement broke her heart even more. “He’s… he’s dead.”

 

And that’s when her tears started to fall heavily; the guilt, remorse and longing all rolling out of her eyes.

 

 

Baekhyun got back to their empty apartment. He thought that she would be home then, because she would usually be home before him, if he does not go to fetch her. But no, it was an empty apartment and he worried for her safety. He called her again and again, but she wouldn’t answer. He was starting to be annoyed, but the worry he felt didn’t cease, so he called Chanyeol to ask where Naeun might be. When he answered that he didn’t know and that he thought that she was already home, Baekhyun’s worry turned bigger. He began calling her friends and finally, he got the information he wanted; she was in a bar in Hongdae that her friends rented for her bachelorette party, the one that she frequents with him. Her friend apologized for making her intoxicated and she could only ask for Baekhyun to come and get her.

 

He decided to ride the bus instead of driving his car, as he wanted to rest while traveling. The bus he was riding wasn’t the safest though, as the driver proved himself to be a reckless one. He dodged every stoplight as it was late already, and people were already in the safety of their homes, he thought.

 

What happened next though, was certainly unplanned and horrible.

 

The bus was still driving too fast, and managed to beat the next stoplight. However, it didn’t pass the next intersection – it had already collided with an oil tanker that was driving equally fast, and it exploded, burning both vehicles.  The large fire created a spectacle for those who were still outside, and as much as they wanted to help the few people who were inside the bus and the oil tanker, they themselves were afraid to be hurt.

 

And inside that bus was a sleeping Byun Baekhyun.

 

 

…….

 

OTL

 

Comments? Thoughts on how I could improve? Anything would be appreciated. Thank you! :)

 

Oh, and if it confused you, don’t hesitate to tell me and I’ll explain it to you and edit the story to make it clearer. :)