The First Step

Till Our Last Breaths

 

May 24, 2004

He was 15 and she was 13.

-------------------------------

 

[Jung Yonghwa’s POV]

“Yaaaa Yonghwa-ya, checking her out again?”

 

“Omo that’s the second time today already. Our handsome hyung has finally found someone to his liking~”

 

“Hahaha that’s right, hey wanna bet how long would she take to accept our hyung? I’m betting on lunch that it would be less than 2 weeks!”

 

A series of laughter continued.

 

I cringed when I heard my friends sniggering and teasing behind my back but I can’t help but hid a grin. It was just another mundane day in school and we were sprawled all across the side of the basketball court, taking a break from our usual drills.

 

It had been 10 days since I’d knocked into that girl at the corner stretch of road just outside our school’s side entrance. I’d found out much about her since then. It was easy using my popularity and connections that I had in school to source out her information. Her name is Seo Joohyun, Seohyun in short just like what everyone calls her. She loves music – she sings and she plays the piano, and she absolutely loves reading books. That complements why she would always stay around in the library at this particular corner after finishing her school hours.

 

Discreetly, I tilted my head back and stared at the west block on my left. I could see that familiar figure by the window, sipping her banana milk from a straw bought from the library’s café while she diligently does her daily homework all by herself. Looking back at the courts where my friends are, I can’t help but grinned again.

 

I definitely had a crush on this girl.

 

Then again, a second round of teasing continued from my basketball mates as they caught me red-handed. Damn my bursting cheeks and my prominent red glowing ears.

 

I recalled just yesterday when I first felt that urge to do something for her. I am young and free. I am free to date whoever I want. She was the first girl to make me feel this way. Out of countless of fans and admirers, she was the only girl that stood out from the crowd. Diligent, thoughtful, polite and demure, everything about her attracted me.

 

Basketball practice ended early today due to the sudden downpour. I found myself seeking shelter in the library. Or rather, my friends believed in creating opportunities for me to approach her. I sat at a long table just beside hers.  However, she was too engrossed in her work that she was totally oblivious to her surroundings.

 

Taking a random book out of the shelf nearby, I began to ‘read’, feeling a little annoyed that my mates were perfectly disguising themselves as bookworms all around the library to catch some action. I don’t blame them. After all, I am their hyung. And our mundane school lives needed some spice.

 

As I watched her solve the math questions easily, I couldn’t help but notice her yawns. She seemed sleepy. Gradually, her eyes started to close and she nodded off a few times, then she would rub her eyes and try to focus on her sums again.

 

After a few cycles, she finally succumbed to her tiredness and rested her head on her forearm placed horizontally on the table. Surprisingly, I found this rather amusing. Once again, I am amazed how much she charmed me.

 

A thought clicked me.

 

I put the book in my hands down with a ‘thump’ and reached into my bag pack for a memopad. Turning it to a blank available space, I drew. I drew a sleepy Seohyun, adorably taking a nap in the school library. I was done in a few minutes.

 

I have never doubt my artistic talent. It wasn’t perfect, but there was absolute sincerity. I finished off my drawing by stating my initials on the bottom right of the paper. Then, with soft footsteps, I approached her and carefully placed the piece of drawing right under her Tamama pencil case. Satisfied, I turned back and signaled the rest to leave with me. My mates were laughing soundlessly as they patted my back in glee. Glancing back one last time, I smiled shyly to myself.

 

_________________

 

[Seohyun’s POV]

I woke up quite abruptly and checked my watch almost instantly. I only planned to take a short 2 minutes break with my eyes closed and half an hour had gone by in a wink. I took a deep breath and stretched. It was time to head home.

 

I started packing up. Books checked. Calculator checked. Jacket checked. Pencil case chec… Something was different. I grabbed hold of a white piece of paper sticking out from under my pencil case. Bringing up to my face to examine, I realized it was a drawing of me. The mysterious person had drawn a portrait of me while I was having my unintentional nap. I then noticed the initials at the bottom, ‘J.Y.H’.

 

J.Y.H. …

 

It couldn’t be him. I highly doubt so. I dismissed all thoughts that he could draw this. Jung Yong Hwa. Our neighbourhood’s millionaire’s famous second son, Jung Yong Hwa.

 

The more I think, the lower the possibility I felt that he could have done this. It doesn’t seem to match his personality. He seemed cold, and I could literally count the number of times I saw him actually smile. He was only friendly towards people he is close with, like Lee Jonghyun and his basketball teammates. I cannot cook up any reason why he would be nice to me.

 

Staring back at the drawing, I noticed the fine details the person had observed, the patterns on the strap of my watch and the natural waves of my hair. I picked up the paper and carefully placed it in between my book. It was a thoughtful gift and I appreciated the person’s effort.

 

Without giving it a second thought, I placed all objects into my bag pack, zipped it and walked out of the library.

 

On the way home, I received a phone call.

 

“Hyunnie~~”

 

I smiled when I heard that familiar voice.

 

“Yeah Fany? What is it?” I replied casually.

 

“Come get your to Shinsang BBQ, I am with Taeyeon!” Tiffany said enthusiastically. “We’re gonna get some samgyupsal, join us okay?”

 

“I-“

 

“Don’t you dare say no! You’ve rejected us the whole of last week due to the common tests!”

 

“But I-“

 

“Pali-wa, we’ll be waiting~ Annyeong~”

 

Click

 

I stared at my phone with my mouth agape.

 

It seemed like I’ll have to make a call back to inform my mother about the sudden plan.

 

---------------------

 

“Hyunnie~! That’s quick, over here!”

 

Just arriving at the front door of Shinsang BBQ, a cozy BBQ restaurant we often frequent, I could already see Tiffany waving enthusiastically at me with tongs in her hand.

 

 

Sometimes I really wonder how much energy this best friend of mine possesses. If only she could use this much in her studies… On the other hand, Taeyeon was making a face at me.

 

As usual Shinsang BBQ was filled with students from Seoul Middle and High School. The location was convenient for most and prices were reasonable and affordable, making the place a common hangout for students around the district.

 

I went over and sat down beside Taeyeon, removing my bag pack in the process.

 

“We’ve missed you so much,” Taeyeon smiled dorkily as she laid her head briefly on my shoulder. “Fany~ we are waiting for the meat.”

 

“Nae.” She flashed her eye-smile at us.

 

“So, how were the papers?” Taeyeon started, turning to me.

 

“Come on, she never had any difficulty with any papers with the rate she studies at the library.” Tiffany scoffed, efficiently filling our bowls with pieces of pork belly.

 

I smiled and nodded, acknowledging that she was right.

 

“Aigoo, if only I had brains of yours, I wouldn’t need to get fried by my parents,” Taeyeon grimaced as she picked up a piece of kimchi and chewed on it noisily.

 

Laughing, we talked while we ate. It was these good times where I feel relieved that I had friends like them.

 

Halfway through, Taeyeon turned to face me.

 

“Hyun ah, you know these days I have been noticing…” she started.

 

Tiffany cut her off, as if knowing what she would say next. “Ya, ya, ya Kim Taeyeon!”

 

“… I noticed she have been staring at Jung Yonghwa!” she finished with a smirk. She then turned to Tiffany and held up a twist sign. Kim Taeyeon 1, Tiffany Hwang 0.

 

My eyes widened.

 

“KIM TAEYEON! JUGEULLAE?!” Tiffany was half embarrassed, but I could see that she was also shy. I watched as Tiffany started to hit Taeyeon, who burst into laughter, delighted she had revealed her secret.

 

I gave a weak smile. I was happy for my friend, but also worried. The person who left the drawing under my pencil case, what if it was really Yonghwa? How am I going to explain all these to my best friend?

 

I figured I had to stay quiet on this matter until I have all these investigated out. I need to confirm who is that mysterious drawer and then plan what to do next.

 

The bell hanging on the door of the restaurant rang. A group of male students walked in, loudly greeting the owner. The three of us turned subconsciously.

 

It was the basketball team members from our school.

 

And out of the 12 people, I spotted Jung Yonghwa, and my all-time favourite, Lee Jonghyun.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hiiiiiii,
So.. before i leave for my long 2 weeks holiday, here's an update. ^^
Please pardon my absence and do await for my update after i'm back cause things are gonna spice up real soon. 
Till now, i've kept the chapters light and fluffy. But, what's happiness without the storm right? Haha.

 

Please do comment and subscribe yeah! 
Till then, annyeong~

 

*PS, I ACCIDENTALLY CLICKED ON 'RATED M' FOR THIS CHAPTER.
Hahahaha. Guys, sorry to dash hopes but yes, things are still light and fluffy. ;)

 

redradish
24/5/13, 2:37am