The First Memory

Till Our Last Breaths

September 20, 1996

He was 7 and she was 5.

----------------------------------------

The bell signaling the end of the day in school echoed through the solemn old building. In spilt seconds, shouts and screams could be heard coming from all the excited kids in various classes. The torturous day in school had finally come to an end and they smelt freedom in the air.

 

“Yonghwa-ya, eodiga?” little Jonghyun asked his best friend.

 

“Hmm, let’s race! Meet you at my house!” Without even waiting for his best friend’s reply, Yonghwa sped off at high speed with his short legs, one arm pressed tightly behind his back to support his heavy schoolbag from bouncing as he ran.

 

“Pali-wa!” He turned back and shouted at little Jonghyun, who then gave a cheeky smile and ran just behind him.

 

The two of them had been the best of friends since young. Being neighbours, they practically spent all the free time they had together. Their parents were good friends too and both families have business relations. Jung Yonghwa is the second son of the famous Jung Enterprises, a well known Korea-based company that imports and supplies high-end designer furniture from Europe. This business has been passed on for generations in the Jung family and as the company grows over the years, every son in the Jung family is expected to take over their father’s role and trained to be a potential heir of the company. On the other hand, Lee Jonghyun’s family business specializes in construction and renovation services. Lee Construction & Design serves as a one-stop planning, designing and constructing agent for homes in Korea. If you compare the riches, both of them are on par till date. Both enterprises have substantial shares and influence in their industries.

 

Of course with a headstart, little Yonghwa reached the gate of his house first which was situated at the foot of a hill. Bending down and panting furiously, he tilted back to see how far his best friend was. The road was clear. Tired from the distance he ran, he plopped himself against the wall adjoining his gate and sat down to wait.

 

A minute passed and little Yonghwa became fidgety. He started playing with his shoelaces. Cross-legged, he rested his chin on his left fist and twirled his shoelaces with his right hand. His mind slowly getting frustrated at how slow Jonghyun could be.

 

Suddenly, something soft hit little Yonghwa’s right shoe. He took it up and realized it was a lollipop. Then a soft voice spoke.

 

“Jeogiyo, that’s mine.”

 

Little Yonghwa looked up just to see a small girl with bright clear eyes donned in a floral dress staring down at him. For a moment, he did not know what to say. Lost for words and with his mouth slightly agape, he held the lollipop tightly in his grip as he continued surveying the girl standing right in front of him.

 

As if an eternity had passed, the little girl cocked her head to a side and frowned. Flustered, little Yonghwa handed the lollipop back to her. With the sweet safely back in her hands, the little girl finally smiled.

 

“Kamsahamida.” The girl politely thanked him, adding a 90 degrees bow at the end of the word.

 

As she turned to walk back up the hill where she came from chasing after her fallen lollipop, little Yonghwa stood up. It was rare to see a girl in this neighbourhood as wealthy families dominate the area and which most families prefer sons to daughters in hope to continue the legacy of their businesses. 

 

“What’s your name?” Little Yonghwa shouted after her.

 

She turned back and shouted back.

 

“Seohyun! Seo Joohyun!”

 

Little Yonghwa stared thoughtfully at her.

 

As she continued making her way up the hill, little Seohyun heard sounds of rushed footsteps and she quickly ran forward and ducked behind a lamppost. Curious by nature, she peered down to see what the commotion was about. She watched quietly as she witnessed little Jonghyun finally reaching the foot of the hill and falling into a mess on the floor beside little Yonghwa, panting badly. Little Jonghyun then gave little Yonghwa a friendly punch on his shin and they both started laughing and fooling around each other.

 

 

 

May 11, 2004

He was 15 and she was 13.

-----------------------------------

It was spring in Seoul. Cherry blossom trees covered the street with its pink flowers in full bloom. It is at this time of the year when people frequent parks due to nature’s beauty – a comfortable cooling weather at 20 degrees and a breathtaking mixture of green, blue and pink as scenery.

 

Seohyun was a freshman at Seoul Middle School. Together with her newly made friends Taeyeon and Tiffany, they were enjoying the cool weather at an open field in the school premises. If there was one thing about being together with Taeyeon and Tiffany, that is, there was bound to be endless chattering.

 

“Ya ya ya! Stop it uh Tiffany! Stop drooling over your sunbaes!” Taeyeon warned threateningly and rolled her eyes. “Close your mouth, you’re so embarrassing!”

 

“I can’t help it unnie! There’s so many to ooze about. Look look look over there! The one with the shirt partially tucked out… Don’t you think he’s soooo good-looking?!”

 

Seohyun stared at them two bickering away and grinned to herself. Looking up to the vast blue sky dotted with fluffy white clouds, she took in a deep breath. The weather was great, and that made her feel great as well. As her friends continued their conversation, she picked up her book laid beside her, turned to the bookmarked page and continued where she left off.

 

It was quite a mystery how these three became friends because their personalities simply do not match. But probably it was because they were characteristically different, that’s why they clicked. It doesn’t really make sense, curiosity, opposite attraction, whatever it might be.

 

“OH MY GOD. IT’S THEM. I CAN’T BELIEVE IT, HOOOO MY GOD!” Tiffany exclaimed loudly and grabbed hold of Taeyeon’s arm, shaking it back and froth like a malfunctioned car wiper. Taeyeon made a face and gave her a death stare.

 

Distracted, Seohyun looked up from her book, just in time to see two boys, slighter older than them, walked down the pavement next to the open field. One of them had a basketball clutched between his forearm and his side stomach. Instantly, it seemed as though everyone heard what Tiffany had exclaimed and stopped what they were doing to fix their eyes on these two guys.

 

Donned in their school uniforms, the guy with the basketball had tousled short black hair and he wore a black-framed geeky spectacles. The other guy behind him had slightly longer straight hair, finished with a neat side-swept fringe. They seemed to be aware of the stares as they walked down the pavement. The first guy’s expression did not change – it remained as nonchalant, however, the second guy gave a shy smile, as though acknowledging their appreciation, and that smile revealed two cute dimples at either side of his face just below his cheeks. It was no wonder why they were famous in Seoul Middle School. Both had well-crafted faces and a good body built.

 

“Noooooo. I just have to see them play basketball. Please unnie, let’s go yeah? Just this once pleaseeee,” Tiffany was close to begging just to view them up close. Taeyeon was being herself, dismissing Tiffany off and asking her to go alone. Left with no choice, Tiffany then turned to Seohyun.

 

“Hyunnie~ I know its not your thing, but please accompany me just this once?” Tiffany placed her hands on Seohyun’s lap and gave her the puppy-eyes look.

 

Seohyun thought for a while, she was oblivious to the hype about these two young gentlemen. She did not know why they are famous, apart from them being pleasing to the eye. Curious by nature, she wanted to know why.

 

“Ok.” She replied simply. This time, Taeyeon turned and snorted at her, disbelieving that Seohyun would be interested.

 

Excited, Tiffany semi-dragged Seohyun impatiently to the school’s basketball court, leaving Taeyeon sulking and plucking grass dejectedly in the open field.

 

They found an opening where they could view the boys play basketball clearly. The two boys were playing a friendly match against each other. Oblivious to Tiffany’s swooning, she observantly watched the two guys play.

 

Her vision was mainly on the dimpled guy. Though she was not interested in the opposite gender, she admitted to herself that Mr Dimple is sure attractive. She continued watching as he dribbled the ball swiftly across the court, crossed the other guy by doing a half spin and then score with a mere slight jump. The guy with the geeky spectacles was not bad himself. He grabbed hold of the ball after the score, and with agility, he sped towards the other side of the court, skillfully jumped high and slammed the ball straight into the basket, causing roars of cheers and applause from the onlookers.

 

“Who are they?” She found herself asking subconsciously to Tiffany.

 

“How in the world can you not know, Seohyun ah,” Tiffany likes to make things sound exaggerated, as always. “The guy over there with the dimples? That’s Lee Jonghyun. The other one, awwwwwww, is Jung Yonghwa.”

 

Seohyun nodded thoughtfully and turned back to watch the match.

 

“Lee Jonghyun… Jung Yonghwa…” She muttered under her breath.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Hi all, 
First time posting here at AFF. 
Please leave a comment alright :)

 

redradish
18/5/13, 1:13am