Set

Full Speed[HIATUS]

Chapter 02 - Set

“Hi!” Eden greeted in the sweetest voice possible.

“Good evening!” the girl answered, boredom lingering from each sound that came out of . “What would your order be?”

Eden felt his palms sweating with nervousness. The way the girl in front of him gave him such a cold answer made him feel a bit uneasy. He didn’t know how to approach cold girls. Looking at the show-window, Eden swallowed hard. The only idea he had ready on the spur of the moment was one of the lamest pick-up lines ever but it sometimes had an effect: his words would at least bring a small smile to the girls’ lips.

“Hmm…Rice cake” Eden said as he pointed to his desired cake. His eyes watched as the girl opposite to him followed his hand. “And…how about you too? When is your shift ending?” he whispered in a what he wanted to be a seductive voice.

The girl sighed. She raised her eyes, looking straight into Eden’s. With a weird smile plastered on her lips and batting her eyelids, she tried to contain her feelings but annoyance was written all over her face.

“You…Do you see me covered with chocolate or whipped cream, standing behind that glass show, waiting for you to buy me? Next time you try hitting on me, find a better line.”

Eden was taken aback by the hostility. “Yah, it was supposed to be a joke…make you smile?”

“Do I look like I’m smiling?”

“Yoomi! Behave!” a husky voice was heard from the room behind the girl.

“Yoomi! Behave!” she muttered to herself. “Barom, is he your friend?” Yoomi asked the boy who was dying of laughter in the background.

Shaking his head, Barom laughed some more before answering. “No way. He’s not my friend. I don’t know him!”

J.hyo couldn’t contain his laughter either. His loud voice made Yoomi stare at him for a few seconds before turning back to Eden.

“Let’s try this gain, shall we? What would your order be?”

“Rice cake.” Eden quickly answered. He seemed serious for a second. Yoomi was actually thinking he wasn’t going to try anything else but her hopes got ruined when he leaned closer to her. “The date offer is still available.”

Yoomi scoffed. Guys trying to hit on her were her worst nightmare. Grabbing the rice cake Eden ordered, she shoved it into his arms.

“Here you are!” she hissed.

Barom and J.hyo began laughing even louder. The shocked face Eden had was absolutely priceless.

“I told you to behave, Yoomi.” The girl’s boss came in the room.

Yoomi glared at him without any restrain. “I am sick and tired of this job! I hate smiling to customers! I hate acting nice!”

Yoomi took off her black apron and threw it on the floor. She jumped over the cash desk, stopping right in front of Eden. Another scoff left her lips after she let her gaze inspect the boy from head to toe.

“You’re not even that hot.” She bitterly chuckled.

Eden was at loss of words. The weariness or the shock of being rejected in such a harsh way. Whichever was the case, it left Eden stare like an idiot into space.

When Yoomi left the shop, J.hyo and Barom came to Eden and patted him on the shoulder.

“No sleep for you today.” J.hyo squealed.

“Way to go, Eden.” Barom added more salt to the wound. “Have I forgotten to mention that you will be attending the same high school as her?”

Eden groaned.

After leaving the shop, Yoomi started cussing and lightly hitting her head. She didn’t intend to lose her patience so easily. Lately, she had started showing her true nature even during the day. She was supposed to act all harsh and cocky when she was at the race track. If she were to act like that during the day as well, she was sure someone would figure out who she was.

Still being busy with scolding herself, Yoomi didn’t notice that she was two inches away from crashing into someone. She jerked and stopped right away.

“You scared me.” She said. Putting her hand over her chest, she gave Rasa a small smile. 

Rasa was also startled a little. Well, he looked more nervous than startled.

“G-Gunwoo-shi. What are you doing here?” Yoomi asked.

“I was… waiting for your shift to end.” He answered while rubbing the back of the head.

“What shift?” Yoomi asked, as if she had never worked for at the cake shop.

“Did you get fired again?”

“No. I quitted.”

Rasa sighed. “What are you going to do now? Find another job?”

Yoomi thought for a while. Find another job? Whatever she tried to do, she always had something to complain about. She wasn’t made for normal jobs.

“I think I’ll just stay home and take care of mom. She feels lonely lately. Plus, school is starting. I won’t have that much free time.” Yoomi mumbled. “And you still didn’t tell me why you were waiting for my shift to end.”

“About that…” Rasa took out of his bag two books and handed them to Yoomi. “Last time we met I ruined your books so I bought you new ones. I apologize again. It was an accident.”

“I know it was an accident. You didn’t have to buy me new books.” Yoomi said but, still, she accepted the books. A small smile appeared on her face. “Gunwoo-shi…this one is for the last year of high school…I am not in my last year, yet.”

“Eh?” Rasa frowned. “But Yoori is-“

“I am repeating the year.”

“I’m such an idiot.” Rasa closed his eyes, ashamed that he didn’t know. “Sorry. I’ll buy you another one.”

“It’s alright. It’s not as if I care too much about learning.” Yoomi assured him. “I’ll forgive you if you do something for me.”

“What?”

“Come over my place for dinner this week.”

Rasa felt how all of a sudden, he couldn’t breathe. He liked Yoomi a lot but he never got close to her. He barely talked to her a few times. This was too out of the blue.

“Mom wants to meet you.” Yoomi explained when she saw him stiffen up. “I hope you will come.”

Not waiting for an answer, Yoomi walked past Rasa.

“Wait! How will you know when I come?...if I do come…” Rasa shouted after her.

“Text me.”

“But I don’t have your number.”

Yoomi turned her face to Rasa and shot him a playful glare while shaking her head. “I’ll text you my number tonight.”

“Alright.” Rasa nodded. It took him some time to realize that she had his number even though she had never asked him. “From whom does she have my number?” he wondered but at the same time, he was happy.

 


 

“AHHH!” Yoomi yelled on top of her lungs. She didn’t have enough time to think or move. In less than a second, she found herself on the floor, panting heavily. “I hate you!” she hissed, trying to stand up.

“Jang Yoomi, how do you even make it at night? You can’t fight at all.” Zico laughed at his cousin. “I bet you are among the top riders just because of that powerful byke your dad bought.”

“You need to be able to control that thing, you know?” Yoomi stood up and tried to punch Zico but the boy quickly caught her hand.

“I know. You have enough force in these thin arms but still…the guys around there are such animals. Do they never try to touch you or beat you after the race? What do you think will happen if someone tries something funny on you?” Zico shook his head.

“That’s why I asked you to teach me how to fight!” Yoomi hollered. Once again, she was flung onto the floor. “I asked you to teach me, not wipe the floor with me!” she whined.

“I think it’s enough for today. You need some energy for the race.”

Zico helped Yoomi stand on her feet. His eyes lingered longer on her left leg.

“Does it still hurt?”

Yoomi didn’t know what he was talking about. Following his gaze, she understood. Two nights ago, one of the guys pushed her byke and she lost control. The crash was pretty nasty. Her left leg hurt a little but the pain was not enough to make her anger subside. She wanted revenge and she was going to serve it to him that night. She had to win the race, no matter what.

“It doesn’t hurt, Zico. I can join the race tonight.”

“Be careful.”

Yoomi nodded. She was thankful to her cousin for being worried for her. Throwing her bag on her shoulder, she smirked one last time to assure Zico she was really fine.

“Bet all money on me or Rasa, understood?”

“Rasa?” Zico sighed. “So tonight will be a crazy night as well…”

Yoomi nodded before leaving. The cold air that met her skin made her shiver slightly. The dark sky meant that it was time for the race. It wasn’t something she really liked but she needed money.

With big steps, she began her way to the house where her twin sister lived. That was where her byke was. Actually, it wasn’t hers. It was Yoori’s. She had received it as a present from her father because she was fond of motors. Since Yoomi was good at driving it as well, she borrowed it almost every night so she could join the races. Yoori was fine with sharing.

Outside was really cold. Yoomi placed her hands in her pockets where she felt her phone vibrating.

“What’s wrong, AO?” she answered.

“Are you with Yoori?” the boy asked, frightened that maybe the two twins were together. If Yoori knew he called her sister, he would be dead.

“No, I’m alone. Why? What happened?”

“I called you several times before but you weren’t answering…Noona is acting weird again. She leaves dance practice…sometimes she doesn’t even show up. You told me to call you when this happens again.”

Yoomi frowned. “Since when?”

There was a small pause before AO answered. “T-Two weeks. I swear I wanted to call sooner but I thought that maybe she will stop leaving…”

“Thanks, AO.”

“Just don’t tell noona you know this from me, alright?”

Yoomi hummed in return.

This was one problem she needed to solve as soon as possible. Maybe even that night.

Careful as to not wake up her father, Yoomi climbed to the first floor of the house, where Yoori’s room was. She opened the window and jumped inside but silence greeted her. The room was empty. Yoori was supposed to be home yet she wasn’t. Yoomi tried to call her but she wouldn’t answer.

Pissed off, Yoomi went to the wardrobe and searched for some clothes to change into. She needed something that would allow her to ride the byke with no problems. In the end, she put on a pair of comfortable black pants and a simple red top. After taking a leather jacket and a black mask for , she snuck downstairs, into the garage and took the byke outside. Only when she was far away from house, she the engine and sped off to the place where the race was held.

Most racers were there already. J.hyo was leaning on his byke, somewhere near the race track, talking with Eden and Barom.

“I hate this.” He mumbled as he pointed at his mask.

“It’s better that way.” Barom assured him. “People around here can be dangerous. If they recognize you during the day, they might try to beat you up so you would drop out. You’d better be a little careful.”

“But there are not too many people wearing masks.” J.hyo whined.

“Those” Barom started explaining as he pointed to a crowd of rude-looking boys. “are the toughest around here. They are into these races for some time…around 2-3 years. They also wore masks at the beginning but one way or another, they got discovered. Those” Barom nodded towards other boys who were wearing masks. “are newbies.”

“Just wear it. It’s not going to kill you.” Eden sighed.

J.hyo silently agreed. Being beaten by some idiots because of trivial things didn’t sound too tempting.

“What about that board?” J.hyo pointed at a white board that had some names scribbled on, including his.

“That is the list with tonight’s racers.” Barom explained. “So that people will know who to bet on. As you can see, some have a small star after their name. They are the favorite riders.”

“I see. Kai, Rasa, Minnie…” J.hyo read out loud. “Gunwoo is one of the favorite riders? And what’s with those names? Minnie? Kai?”

Barom chuckled nervously. “A piece of advice. If you see a bright red or green motorcycle, stay away from them. They will push you. There aren’t too many rules for the race but if you fall, you’re out. “

J.hyo nodded. “Oh” the boy gasped when his eyes landed on a blonde boy who was looking around, searching for someone. “Isn’t that Rasa? But who is he looking for?”

J.hyo’s question was answered when he saw a girl approaching Rasa.

“Who is her?” J.hyo asked. Unfortunately, Barom was already talking with someone else. He didn’t hear J.hyo’s question.

“What’s with your clothes?” Yoomi laughed as she leaned on Rasa’s byke, right beside him. “Did you have a date or something?”

Rasa blushed. “Stop mocking me, Minnie. What did you want my help for tonight?”

“You weren’t here two nights ago – “

“But I heard what happened. You want to get revenge?”

“Yeah.” Yoomi mumbled. “If you help me kick Kai out of the race, I will split the money with you.”

Rasa chuckled. “What makes you think I will let you win, even if I were to help you?”

“Bring it on! I love competing with you anyway. You’re fair, not like those jerks.” Yoomi giggled.

“That’s not the answer I was expecting to receive.” Rasa leaned back, resting his head on Yoomi’s. “Where is the feisty side of you? How are you going to kick Kai out of the competition if you are so soft?”

“Soft?” Yoomi scoffed. “I’ll show you soft!”

The girl suddenly stood up, letting Rasa’s head fall down and hit the byke.

“What the heck was that for?!” he yelled.

“So are you going to help me out or not?” Yoomi hissed. She took a step closer to Rasa, stopping just a few inches away from his face.

Rasa felt how his heart began beating faster and faster. His eyes instinctively stared right into hers. Those beautiful irises were so familiar to him but he refused to try and guess who the masked girl was. He didn’t want to. He was afraid to.

“I will help you. You know I always have your back.” Rasa smiled.

Yoomi nodded and left.

Rasa ruffled his hair. “It’s not her. It’s not her. It can’t be her.” He tried to convince himself but his mind was already accepting the fact that Minnie was Yoomi, the girl he fell for.

J.hyo grinned. Just seeing Rasa’s troubled expression and the way he interacted with Yoomi amused him. Life there was not going to be boring at all.

“RIDERS!” a loud voice that came out of the speakers made everyone stop talking. All those who had bykes put on their helmets and went to the starting line. J.hyo followed along. “If everyone is here, then we’d better start.”

Loud cheers came from the people who were standing on the sides of the race track.

“READY. SET. GO!”