Can I Love You?

Can I Love You?

The door opens and you come in, I knew at first sight that you were mine;

It’s the first day of college today. I sit in the far corner the way I always do, in the back where I can look out the window every time I lift my head. It’s the end of autumn and the weather is getting colder, I notice. The birds are still chirping, the wind is still blowing, but the trees have already lost most of their leaves. It makes me sad to think that the days will only get colder, how everything will be gone when winter’s harsh breath covers the entire city in a blanket of frost.

The teacher pauses the lesson and suddenly all goes quiet; I tear my gaze from the window, looking across the room to where everybody’s heads have turned. It is then that I realize you are standing at the door, and my heart gives a jump the moment I lay eyes on you. You’re wearing a pink scarf this morning, I see. It looks like you’ve been running outside; there is a slight pant in your breath and your cheeks are tinted with a faint blush that matches the scarf around your neck. It must be freezing outside today, when I see you continue to shiver with every step you take. Sorry I’m late, you say, and I think I have never heard a more beautiful voice. The teacher nods and turns her back to continue teaching, and I find myself almost tracing your every movement. Your actions are so gentle; your voice so sweet, and I knew from today that you must be something special.

Your face that shone as you came toward me… it’s so beautiful it can make me blind;

As you are walking through the classroom, I notice the way your soft smile lights up your entire complexion – or it could have been the sunlight outside, I’m not too sure. When you headed towards my direction, the entire room seemed to dim in comparison to your face that shone like an angel. I think you’ve caught me staring, and I quickly duck my head so you don’t see me blush. There is only one seat left; when I sneak another peek I see that you’ve already settled at the table next to me. I contemplate as to whether I should introduce myself, and so I decide that I probably should. Hi, I’m Kyuhyun, I mumble. Cho Kyuhyun. Lee Sungmin, you shyly whisper. It’s a pretty name, I think. Looking a little closer at you, I see your large, brown, almost almond coloured orbs, complimented by a pair of delicate, pink lips. Those lips, set in a pout as you attempt to concentrate on the teacher’s words, really is an adorable sight. I watch as some short wisps of ebony-black hair falls from their place, earning a slight frown before you blow them out of your eyes again. I chuckle to myself as I silently question, how can someone be so beautiful?

I don’t know why but it isn’t strange; yet my heart is fluttering, you’ve captured my heart…

Isn’t love strange? I ask myself again and again if this feeling is merely another silly little crush but, what if it’s more? It should probably feel weird, like this is the wrong way to love… but one can never help falling in love, can they? I probably shouldn’t, I tell myself. Fate has betrayed me before, and I can’t let it happen again. But somehow this feels so normal, so natural; like I was destined to love you, like there’s something that won’t stop pulling me towards you. The way your eyes crinkle ever so slightly when you laugh, the way it fills your whole face like sunshine… the way it makes my heart beat just a little bit faster. Maybe this, this is what they call… falling in love.

Class is coming to an end. I’m starting to get nervous, and I really don’t know why. I bite my lip, check my watch.

Tick.

I’m trying to focus on my work, trying not to count the seconds that go by. I look up to the clock on the wall again.

Tick.

Finally, class is over. My heart is pounding. My breathing is so shallow, yet so loud in my ears. I want to approach you, but damn, why is this so hard? Just as you get up to leave, I hear myself call out, Sungmin-ah. You turn, slowly, looking for whoever it was. Your eyes shift over; you see me looking at you and you smile. That ever-charming smile that has me lost, deep in your eyes. You called? was your reply. I gulp. I- yes, actually. I- What was it again? You step a little bit closer. Oh right.I… um… want to be friends? I probably blurted that out too fast, I realize, but there’s no turning back now. You seem surprised, but only for a split second, before you’re smiling again. Giggling, you look me in the eye, an amused grin in place. Hi, Kyuhyun right? Why do you look so nervous? My eyes are wide as I stand there, frozen, not knowing what to say. Where was my tongue when I needed it? I am acutely aware of your hand on my shoulder, but it could also be my imagination… or something. Relax, I’m only playing, you say. I’d love to! I want desperately to say something, but you’ve already turned your back. See you tomorrow is all I manage to say, when you look over your shoulder and smile, nodding at me before walking away again.

I want to tell you carefully, I want to be brave;

There is so much I still want to know about you. I want to be friends; I want the hope that I’ll be able to see you, even many years from now. Will you be in my future? Will there be us in the future? And as I turn away to head home as well, there is the slightest smile on my face, and I am looking forward to the next day already. I wonder, can this even be called love? I think one day… I’m going to tell you how I really feel. Maybe one day, you’ll learn to love me too. But for now, I’ll just be here, confidently by your side. Help me, Sungmin. Help me because I’ve fallen and I can’t get back out.

I know I might be young, I might be inexperienced at love, but I think this can become something truly beautiful.

Can I love you from today?

So tell me, Sungmin… Can I love you?

--