incognitive love

in which the imagines contemplate forever..

 KAI Imagine;

incognitive love.

 

Jongin and Phoenix have been friends for years. They were neighbors, and apart from that, their mothers were considered to be the best of friends too. During their early years, they would come visit each other’s house and play, and if either of their parents weren’t around, they would spend the night together telling and sharing stories until they get themselves to sleep. They would usually spend their weekends satisfying their week-long craving for a large cup of bubble tea in which Jongin is very much addicted to. They were so close, their bond is more like that of an inseparable siblings.

Years passed and Jongin seem to have gron unbelievably skinny and cranky, of which often made Phoenix laugh and at the same time worry about his condition. Jongin would shrug it off with a mad retort and joke about how Phoenix is acting more like a mom.

It was quite a tearful day when Jongin’s parents decided to finally move to Canada. His father was promoted and was based in Toronto. It was Phoenix’s twelfth birthday but she, along with her mom and sister, was at the airport, bidding their goodbyes to the Kim family who has been quite the best neighbors they have ever known.

“Don’t cry, Phoenix,” Fourteen-year-old Jongin said as he wipes the tears the younger has been shedding. “I’ll be back soon, you don’t have to miss me.”

“I’m- not- crying-,” Phoenix said in between sniffles as she reaches for Jongin’s handkerchief and wipe her furious tears hastily.

Jongin chuckled and pulled her into his arms. “Hush,” He buried his face on top of Phoenix’s head, letting the strawberry scent of the girl’s shampoo linger in his nostrils. He hugged his best friend tighter and whispered in her. “Don’t forget to answer my letters and lock the windows in your room, Slenderman might come and get you,” Phoenix wrapped her arms around Jongin as she felt more warm tears flowing from her eyes. She felt that Jongin’s voice was now hoarse as the latter forced out a laughter, obviously fighting himself not to cry, and all she could do was to hug the boy she has spent her Skittles and bubble teas with and that she will not be able to see for years. “I’ll miss you Phoenix.. I promise I’d come back for you,” He pulled away and unclutched the silver lace on his neck that has his name as it’s pendant, styled in fancy heavy silver and bling. Jongin hooked it around her neck and forced a smile, eyeing the pendant while having it in his grip. “There.. So whenever you feel sad, just think of me. I’ll always be there for you,”

“I’ll wait for you,” That was all she was able to say and hugged Jongin again. They stayed like that for a moment, holding onto each other, neither of them wanting to let go. But it’s almost time and Jongin has to leave. They waved their last goodbye reluctantly and tried hard to give each other the warm smile they’ll not be able to share for a long time. Phoenix bit her thumbnail as she watched Jongin and his family disappear from the glass doors. And with one last look, she was left pondering in heart the promise Jongin left her with. He’ll come back.

 

 

---

 

 

Weeks passed and the two never stopped exchanging letters. Each envelopes consisting of words that expresses how much they miss the moments they’ve spent together; each expressed by a pure heart with expectant thoughts of reuniting. How are you’s and I’ve been too’s we’re traded. Questions of which sparks the light of the once unlit world between the two of them. The mails were kept safe and reread by both of them when they’re feeling sober. Each allowing them to give off an unexplainable strong surge of relief, and maybe, this is what it truly feels to have a best friend. And nothing truly matters, even distance, once you learned to sail the ship amongst circumstances.

But somehow, time and school made a way and things started to falter. Letters were cut from weekends to more weeks. From more weeks to months. From months to years. People changed as they grow, but Phoenix is still the same twelve-year-old girl who wishes for Jongin to come back. He promised to. Day and night she waits, never getting tired of rereading the mails sent to her. Maybe he’s just busy, she once thought. But as the long years pass by with no Hi’s or Hello’s from the boy she longs for, she started to grow up and started to live into reality that is worth more believing in.

 

 

---

 

 

Two years passed. She is now on her fourth year of high school -- her last year of being inside the walls that moulded her and fed her mind with enough knowledge to carry through for a lifetime purpose. Her grades were good and she was a part of the top class. Her name is well-known by the majority of the student body for some reason (which is actually her volunteering to most charity-related clubs that involves the kids and those orphaned oldies). It was Friday and their adviser announced that they’ll be having a new classmate on Monday. Phoenix didn’t give that much attention and instead, she chose to space out and watched as some of the freshman students try out for the soccer team. It was quite entertaining watching how the young ones would try to fight for the ball amidst towers of hindrances bodily blocking their ways and struggle hard in between amounts of sweat and heavy panting to hit the goal. She was then reminded of someone she used to know, who seemed to never try contacting her the past few years. She gave out a sad smile and refocused to their teacher who is now giving their assignments for the weekend. She packed her things as the bell rang and dashed out among the students in the corridor.

“Phoenix!” She stopped on her tracks and turned to see Luhan waving and taking the steps towards her cheerfully.

“Yah,” She said as she eyed her closest friend while grinning. “Need anything?”

Luhan gave her a pleading look with all of that puppy resemblance that she can’t ever resist. And she suddenly knew what he’s going to ask. “Where to go now?” She sighed and searched for her cellular phone in her bag.

“Come on,” Luhan slung his arm around Phoenix’s and walked her out of their school. “It’s your birthday tomorrow and I can’t be there to greet you,”

“Why not?” Phoenix asked as she let herself get dragged by her friend, trying to send her mother a message letting her know that she’ll have to go home late.

“We’re going to visit Grandma and I can’t make it until Monday.”

“I see. So where are we going now?”

“Our place,” Luhan winked at her and she can’t help but giggle softly at the sweetness of her abductor. “My treat.”

She met Luhan when they were still sophomores. He was brilliant student humorous and he’s cute (making him popular among the majority of their school popultion). Luhan is playful and optimistic, he never fails to make her smile and he loves bubble teas. That alone reminds her of Jongin. Really, like Jongin. Maybe a sweeter, yet still childish version of him. Bubble tea freaks.

The Bubble Tea Place has been their favorite ever since they got along together, which started from their science project in which they were randomly paired and yet they got the best given grade by their teacher. It has been their sanctuary -- it is where they got to know each of their similarities and differences, where they learned to share and comfort their weaknesses and fears, where they just simply hangout and enjoy the friendship they have by bickering and blood-bathing and laughing like they own the place, it was the place where Luhan told her he lost his dad and Phoenix told him he misses Jongin.

It wasn’t long before they arrived and Luhan bought them the two largest cups of chocolate-flavored bubble tea. Phoenix squealed in delight as the first dash of chocolate reaches her buds and Luhan got on with their usual teasing. Afterwards, Luhan walked her home saying he still have to pack up for their trip and kissed her in the cheek with a soft whisper of “Happy birthday,” in her ear. She can’t stop herself from blushing of which Luhan again saying, “Oh my gosh! Don’t fall in love with me yet!,” and before she can protest, Luhan waved her off.

 

 

---

 

 

Phoenix woke up the next day at the sound of her bedroom door creaking open and the soft giggling of her mother. With the teasing trails of sunlight showering her with kisses all over her face, he could hear his father’s deep humming of a happy tune. She stirred from her slumber and with a smile she got up and was tackled by her mom, hugging her endearingly.

“Happy birthday Princess,” Her father told her with a wrinkled smile plastered on his face. He then placed the strawberry cake with chocolate sprinkles and whipped cherries on the bedside table as he took the space beside her and her mother.

“Happy birthday, dearie,” Her mother whispered with nose nuzzled against her cheek.

Phoenix could never ask for more. She has the perfect family in which she feels loved and secure all the time. Her parents treated her as if she’s the most important treasure in the world. She smiled at the thought and hugged her mom back, one of her hands holding her father’s bigger one.

“Thanks mom, dad,” She beamed and looked at the cake when she was asked to utter a wish. She closed her eyes and wished for something she has been longing for for years – Jongin. The candle was blown and her bed was made, so they proceeded downstairs in the kitchen to have proper breakfast.

Several minutes passed and her parents decided to go out (for errands, they said). Phoenix offered to go with them but her father didn’t let her to, “The princess shall be a princess today,” He said. Phoenix sighed and she decided to clean the house instead. She was almost done when the doorbell rings and she rushed to get the door, expecting her parents to be back already. She twisted the door knob and was overwhelmed when she was greeted by a big teddy plushy with a chromatic bouquet of fresh tulips and she giggled softly.

“ I thought you can’t make it today,” Eyeing the arms of the man behind the presents.

The man seem to shrug and she rolled her eyes. Knowing that it was Luhan, she reached for the bouquet and pulled the life-sized plushy from the other’s grip and sat it on the floor beside her. She lifted her gaze and for one moment, the world seemed to stop.

“Hi,”

The deep voice echoed in his head repeatedly. She was torn between slamming the door and running away. Then the boy smiled.

“Happy birthday, Phoenix,”

The days and weeks and months and years of temporary loss were forgotten. And in between the urge to push the visitor and curse him to hell, she found her way to him and wrapped her arms around the amused boy. She heard him chuckle, but between walls of sweet memories and floods of heartbreaking lost of contact, she let it pass and felt stronger arms pulling her closer with the same amount of longing. Hearts thudded and tears were shed. Phoenix suggled closely and wished for time not to end.

“I came back..”

“Jongin..” Phoenix was at lost for words. “Jongin..” And thus she smiled that heartful one she has been unfamiliar with for years.

 

---
A/N: And this shall be continued soon.