Chapter 1

When the ice melts..

 

-WEN JUNHUI- ( 9 years old)
 
" umma, please let me go out and play." I plead. 
"but son, your nanny's out and no one will look after you. What if the bad guys come and get you?" Explained his mother. 
"i'm begging you, mom. Even for just 20 minutes." 
 
I don't know why but I just really feel like going out to play today. There's this something in me that pushes me to go and beg. Sigh. 
 
"Okay, son. But for just 20 minutes, okay?" I nodded. "Okay, umma! Thank you!" I kissed her cheek before running out of the door. I feel like a free man. I smiled, wanting to get to the playground which is just a few blocks away from our house. I hummed to a happy children song as I reach the playground. 
 
To my dismay, none of my playmates are there. Not even one. I sighed again and looked around, thinking that they are just hiding from me. My eyes landed on a girl on the swing, looking down on the ground as she moves higher and higher. I ran to her. 
 
"Hello!" I greeted cheerfully. She looked up and was rather shocked by my sudden presence. 
"Oh! Hello." She replied with a happy tone but her eyes are still wide in shock. "A-are you going to play?" I nodded in response. "Ah. Then, I should leave now." She hopped off the swing, bowed her head at me, and turned around to leave. 
 
"Why don't you just play here with me? I'm all alone here, anyway and the playground's too big for just one person, right?" I smartly said causing her to turn around again and face me with a smile. "Jinjja? Arasso." She said with the smile still carved in her lips. I can't deny, she has a pretty smile and a beautiful face. I watched as she hopped on the swing again and played by herself. I ran to the basketball court, which is really near to the swings, and played.
 
After a while of playing, I was all sweaty and tired. I sat on one of the benches, gasping for air while wiping the sweat off my face. 
 
"Oppa.." I heard someone say. I looked up and saw the girl i met a while ago. 
"Oh. Waeyo?" I smiled at her.
"Can I join you while you rest?" She giggled and I nodded quickly. 
"Of course you can." I patted the space beside me and she happily sat there. Silence engulfed the both of us after. Nobody dares to talk and the atmosphere's getting awkward. I cleared my throat and turned my head towards her. 
 
"Anyway, why are you alone here? Don't you have friends? Hm?" I asked out of the blue and she smiles at me. 
"Of course I have friends, but I always want to be alone in places like this. So I go here during this time of the day because I discovered that there are no kids here." She told me while looking straight ahead. 
"And why do you want it that way?" I asked again, this time she looked at me. 
"Hmm.. I don't know, oppa. It was just my thing: being alone always." She laughed, her voice getting tinier that it normally was. I can't help but laugh with her too. We continued to talk about the most random things. It wasn't getting boring at any point which surprised me. I'm not the conversation-keeper type, you know. 
 
We didn't notice the time and when we looked up, the sky's getting dark already. Nighttime's coming. I sighed and stood up. 
 
"I need to go now. My mom's going to scold me if I don't go home early." I laughed and she stood up as well. 
" neh, oppa. I hope to see and play with you again soon. Annyeong! " she waved at me and I waved back. She turned and left and I go to the opposite direction. And then it hit me. 
 
"Wait!" I shouted and ran towards her direction. I saw her facing my direction with a smile. 
" waeyo, oppa?" She asked, her eyebrows knitted in confusion.
" i forgot to ask your name." I shyly scratched my nape and she giggled. 
 
 
"Sohyun. Yang Sohyun."

 

I frowned as I heard my alarm clock ring. I stopped the alarm and sat up. Ruffling my hair as I realized the weird dream I've just dreamt. I've never dreamt about my childhood. 
 
"Well, that was weird." I sighed as I go and prepare for the new day. 
 
Hello, readers. i'm Wen Junhui also known as Moon JoonHwe. I am 16 years old and I worked hard, and is still working hard, to be the best figure skater here in Korea. I am the only chil--..
 
A sudden knock was heard making me jump a bit while brushing my teeth, i opened the door and found my mom. 
 
"Oh mom! Good morning!" I gave her my cutest eyesmile and she ruffled my hair. 
"Good morning, son. I'm going to work now, arasso? The breakfast's ready." I nodded and she kissed my forehead before going out of my room and going to work. 
 
My mom works as the president of our own company after my dad died in a car accident. I know dad's watching us always from the heavens above so, I am not quite sad about his death. It was 5 years ago anyway. Me and my mom already moved on.
 
After a while, I got ready. Wearing my training clothes and go to the nearest ice skating rink. It was always empty during this time and also because my mom paid for the whole rink for this day. Haha! I bowed at my trainer and soon, the training began. 
 
* You can do it, junhui. Don't give up. Not now. Not after you've worked hard and made a long straight path towards success and meeting her again. Hwaiting, junhui. *
I thought as I pat my chest and started the day of training.