Will he...

The Proposal

 

"Kris!"
 
Kris snapped put of his trance and turned to face the girl next to him. "Sorry, what did you say?"
 
Amber sighed, shaking her head. "What were you thinking of?"
 
He chuckled sheepishly. "Do you think Yi Xing will..uh- What- How do you think Yi Xing will respond?"
 
Amber let out a tight-lipped smile, rolling her eyes at his behaviour, but Kris couldn't care less, he was too absorbed in his own predicament. After a year and a half of making Zhang Yi Xing his, he suddenly had this epiphany and gained the confidence to marry him and step into the next level of their relationship. He wasn't contented, he realised, despite ensured that he was his for life; he wanted the whole world to know that he was his. Wherever he went, everyone would recognise him as his.
 
Laying a hand on Kris' shoulder, Amber squeezed him in a reassuring manner. "Kris, if he loves you enough to spend the rest of his life with you, he won't even think twice to say yes!"
 
"But I want him to love me enough to do that," he pouted to his cousin. "What if he realises otherwise and I'd lose him?"
 
Amber rolled her eyes again. "Then that's his lost!" Kris glared at her in dismay and she instantly changed her expression. "Look, I don't know what your relationship like. I haven't even met this Yi Xing yet. I can't predict what's going to happen either. What's the problem, Kris?"
 
Kris took a long, deep breath before replying, "It's just... I don't know..." he hesitated. "I always feel that sometimes he is holding back. Like he knows and is sure of his feelings for me, but there are times when he retreats as if he is guarding himself. When we started going out, he told me not to lie to him, that if I fall for another girl, or guy, I should tell him honestly and he'd know what to do. It's like he expects me to leave him one day and find his replacement."
 
"Did he have a bad previous relationship?"
 
He shook his head. "I'm his first."
 
"Well, the only thing you can do is reassure him that you won't be like that." Amber then halted and  added contemplatively, "But really, you don't know what's going to happen in the future-"
 
"I won't be like that okay!" Kris almost yelled to refute her statement. "I really love him. I don't and can't even see other people the same way."
 
"That's what you said when you were with Soo Young in high school-"
 
"But I didn't think about marrying her."
 
Amber shrugged. "You were young?" Kris glared at her again. Amber lifted her hands up in surrender, "Sorry. I'm just being honest."
 
"You are too matter-of-fact. Why did you marry Myung Soo then if you think that way?!"
 
At the mention of her husband, she smiled tenderly. "Because I don't think about the future. I live in the present. He makes me happy and I know that I want to spend my today, tomorrow, and the day after tomorrow with him. Even if there's such a chance, I still want love him like there's no tomorrow, so I have no regrets."
 
Kris rolled his eyes. "Afterall, it doesn't matter what he or people think, what matters is what you think and what makes you happy."
 
"Exactly!" She winked at him.
 
"You are the most selfish girl I have ever met! I feel sorry for him!"
 
Amber chuckled, "He loves me."
 
"I know!" And it would surprise him to a great deal if one day they separate and the problem came from Myung Soo.
 
"I'm not really helping, am I?"
 
He lifted a small dark blue bag, "You helped me pick the ring?"
 
"I just hope it'd suit his taste." And that made him worry again. Amber clasped his hand, "Kris, it'll be fine!"
 
He took a deep, relaxing breath and let out a smile. "Thanks."